Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

He's not an idiot; he's cartoonishly greedy beyond comprehension.

I was thinking the other day, if corporations are people, could people like Eddie Lampert be charged with murder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
#BoycottSearsCanada: Retailer faces 'PR nightmare' over treatment of laid-off workers
Chain tries to attract customers during restructuring, but encounters online criticism

Sears Canada is striving to reinvent itself and entice customers. But every time it posts an ad promoting products on its Facebook site, the retailer is bombarded with angry comments.

"No one cares!" wrote one person, commenting on a dishware ad. "As far as I'm concerned the whole company should go belly-up."

"Empty plates are what Sears ex-employees will be staring at after they have been rooked out of their severance and retirement payments," posted another person.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/sears-canada-facebook-restructuring-comments-severance-1.4216351

Looks like Sears is going the way of target, in Canada anyways.

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

Progressive JPEG posted:

Hold on, assuming you're in the US, why have you been setting foot in a KMart to begin with? I can't even remember the last time I've seen one.

Haha. A ways back, but yep, I'm in the US. :patriot: It's close to me--about 4-ish miles away, I won't set foot in Walmart, and Target is on the other side of town. In addition, I do shopping for my elderly mom, who is in the nursing home now, and she love Kmart's store brand of clothes.
I've always had a soft spot for Kmart. It was about the only department store left here after Woolworth's bit the dust, way back. If you haven't guessed yet, I'm a bit :corsair:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Looks like Sears is going the way of target, in Canada anyways.

The only thing I'm surprised about is how long it took for this to happen. I quit Sears 6 years ago to take a job for one of the big 5 banks and more than doubled my hourly wage for actually doing less work than what I was doing for them. I went back once or twice and all the racks were mismatched, shoes all over, nobody gave a gently caress. And my department was totally gone, which was amazing cause it was the gift registry (we were losing out to the Bay massively LOL).

Different situation to Target though, that was caused by lovely supply lines and lovely CAD prices (Yes, bring a popular brand that thousands of Canadians go to spend their money at up to Canada except make it MORE expensive with the exchange rate. That's totally what you should do.)

Basically gently caress Sears.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Theres been an Avocado craze, since it was labelled a :airquote:SuperFood:airquote: a few years back.

poo poo is everywhere from Cesar Salads to Smoothies. Reminds me of what happened with Kale and Quinoa.

I kind of wish 4Chan would troll Whole Foods into thinking Chard and Raddishes were SuperBiotics, just to see that poo poo explode.

Please don't I love radishes

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Graedyn”" post="“474639162”"]
Haha. A ways back, but yep, I’m in the US. :patriot: It’s close to me–about 4-ish miles away, I won’t set foot in Walmart, and Target is on the other side of town. In addition, I do shopping for my elderly mom, who is in the nursing home now, and she love Kmart’s store brand of clothes.
I’ve always had a soft spot for Kmart. It was about the only department store left here after Woolworth’s bit the dust, way back. If you haven’t guessed yet, I’m a bit :corsair:
[/quote]

My favorite K-Mart clothing story was a Facebook rant from a lady who had explosive diarrhea in her pants and tried to justify shoplifting because K-Mart’s toilet stall was broken. I wish I had saved that.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Krispy Kareem posted:

My county has two big malls in it. The one deeper in the suburbs is doing alright, but the one closer to the city has been having issues. They recently did a renovation, which helps. There’s also a Costco next door and a new ballpark across the street. So it’s not doing great, but it’s got prospects.

If that's where I think it is, I've gotta wonder how the traffic situation's gonna affect that mall now that the stadium's finished.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Domestic Amuse”" post="“474653607”"]
If that’s where I think it is, I’ve gotta wonder how the traffic situation’s gonna affect that mall now that the stadium’s finished.
[/quote]

Traffic hasn’t been that bad, honestly. The one time I went to a game I was surprised at how well they separated ballpark traffic from regular commuters.

That mall still has a Sears though, so the stink of death is only slightly covered by the Apple store.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Krispy Kareem posted:

Traffic hasn’t been that bad, honestly. The one time I went to a game I was surprised at how well they separated ballpark traffic from regular commuters.

That mall still has a Sears though, so the stink of death is only slightly covered by the Apple store.

I'm still kicking myself for not going to one of the last games at Turner Field. :smith:

Meanwhile, our local dead mall has been bulldozed in preparation for this. It's a pretty ambitious project, but I'm wondering if it'll suck the life out of the "upscale" outdoor lifestyle center that's just a few miles away - because that's exactly what said lifestyle center did to the mall 10 years ago.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I was thinking the other day, if corporations are people, could people like Eddie Lampert be charged with murder?

More like elder abuse/neglect.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

My wife was in the latest huge batch of layoffs at Sears Canada head office. They sent out an email to everyone at 4:30pm, directing half of the people to the Royal York Hotel and half to the Air Canada Center the next day, guess which ones got laid off? Since the email was sent just before people clocked out a bunch of people showed up to an empty office the next day, the bigger lol was a few people were sent to the wrong location so they mistakenly got or didn't get laid off. Imagine getting a call "Oops, Sorry you aren't really laid off."

She was only there for a couple years, so the loss of a severance is no big deal, some of her long-term co-workers are pretty pissed. We've been waiting for this since she started and she cleaned out her desk over a year ago. Another lovely part is that they've been poaching from other companies within the last few months, those people should have seen the writing on the wall though. It's really hosed up for the people still there in her department since they are working on things that will never see the light of day.

Mike Myers' brother Peter was laid off the same way my wife was even after making a propaganda ad for them.
The Ad is in the first minute of this video since they pulled it from their YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTZO5026Wtc

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PeePot posted:

My wife was in the latest huge batch of layoffs at Sears Canada head office. They sent out an email to everyone at 4:30pm, directing half of the people to the Royal York Hotel and half to the Air Canada Center the next day, guess which ones got laid off? Since the email was sent just before people clocked out a bunch of people showed up to an empty office the next day, the bigger lol was a few people were sent to the wrong location so they mistakenly got or didn't get laid off. Imagine getting a call "Oops, Sorry you aren't really laid off."

She was only there for a couple years, so the loss of a severance is no big deal, some of her long-term co-workers are pretty pissed. We've been waiting for this since she started and she cleaned out her desk over a year ago. Another lovely part is that they've been poaching from other companies within the last few months, those people should have seen the writing on the wall though. It's really hosed up for the people still there in her department since they are working on things that will never see the light of day.

Mike Myers' brother Peter was laid off the same way my wife was even after making a propaganda ad for them.
The Ad is in the first minute of this video since they pulled it from their YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTZO5026Wtc

Yikes. I think everyone knew Sears was on borrowed time, I didn't expect it to be this ugly though. I guess I'm naive.

I feel bad for your wife, I hope she lands something more stable and satisfying.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Mall food courts now have 1 less store.

The Starbucks-owned Teavana brand is closing down all its storefronts, in what is the latest blow to struggling American malls.

Starbucks (SBUX) announced on Thursday that all 379 Teavana stores -- which are primarily based in malls across the country -- have been "underperforming." The move will impact 3,300 workers.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/27/investing/teavana-stores-closing-starbucks/index.html

Malls are dead.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

The Starbucks-owned Teavana brand is closing down all its storefronts, in what is the latest blow to struggling American malls.

Starbucks (SBUX) announced on Thursday that all 379 Teavana stores -- which are primarily based in malls across the country -- have been "underperforming." The move will impact 3,300 workers.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/27/investing/teavana-stores-closing-starbucks/index.html

Malls are dead.

The luxury tea brand that focus more on selling products like pots and pounds of tea is doing poorly you say?

And Tevanan's aren't in the foodcourt. They're not about suppling beverages to the masses.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Malls are dead.

I work next to one. It's a strange thing seeing one die in realtime.

Citadel Mall-41 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-45 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-47 by Will King, on Flickr

That JC Penney is scheduled to close at the end of the month. I'll see if I can get some shots of the bare displays inside tomorrow.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I like how that Rue 21 is completely gutted but they didn't bother closing the gates so you can just walk in there and play street hockey or something

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
There's a guy on Youtube, Dan Bell, who does a series of videos wandering through dead malls around the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCjU-Cwjfqbo2hMRItlXwnnQ

Some of the ones he's featured he's been to multiple times, before it died, after it was closed, during demolition. He wandered around the one 'dead' mall in my town that's been half-revived by offices filling the old anchor store locations.

I like one comment he had that after the apocalypse, the only thing in those malls will be cockroaches, GNC Health and Fitness, and Bath and Body Works.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Lime Tonics posted:

Malls are dead.

Dang, where am I gonna get a zillion tiny samples of tea now??

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

From what I can see open air malls (aka outlets, not sure if that's a common term) are gangbusters up here in New England. It's biggest purpose is a place to walk around and get fresh air when it isn't Winter, and to score some truly good deals on clothes from Banana or real inventory run offs at more specialized stores. Also massive food court (although most of it is lovely).

They are usually surprisingly short on the groan worthy mall staples like multiple Gamestops and a depressing JC Penney anchor, so I find it a bit more pleasant to be around.

However, just got Prime Student for the wife and I now that I'm talking Evening classes...so we will see how it holds up...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

From what I can see open air malls (aka outlets, not sure if that's a common term) are gangbusters up here in New England. It's biggest purpose is a place to walk around and get fresh air when it isn't Winter, and to score some truly good deals on clothes from Banana or real inventory run offs at more specialized stores. Also massive food court (although most of it is lovely).

They are usually surprisingly short on the groan worthy mall staples like multiple Gamestops and a depressing JC Penney anchor, so I find it a bit more pleasant to be around.

However, just got Prime Student for the wife and I now that I'm talking Evening classes...so we will see how it holds up...

How does that even work during the 10 months of the year when it snows?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Crazyweasel posted:

Outlet malls are absolutely a thing down south too, we have one about ten minutes from my house that's one of the biggest in the country (around a million sqft, 350+ stores) - people come from everywhere, including Mexico, just for the drat outlet mall, it's nuts. It's also 100 degrees for about five months straight from May to September and nobody gives a single poo poo, they still descend on the parking lot daily like a swarm of locusts. God forbid it's tax-free weekend, or immediately before a holiday. Fucks up the traffic on absurd levels, and it's I-35 through a college town so it's already pretty poo poo to start with.

The GameStop is on the other side of town, in a Walmart parking lot, because that's how GameStops work in Texas. If they're not three to a mall they're in a strip mall in a Walmart parking lot.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Dang, where am I gonna get a zillion tiny samples of tea now??

David's Teas, if you like somewhat overpriced gimmicky stuff that you can sniff in person. I think most of their straight up tea leaf teas are pretty ok. The teas with artificial flavors and extra herbs/spices can be overpriced for what you're getting. I bought some coconut lemon-y flavored herbal/tea, and a huge amount of it was godawful lemongrass leaves, as oppose to tea leaves and other items.

Just stay away from, or be wary of teas grown in China. They have been found to have horrifyingly high levels of lead and other harmful chemicals.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If there's a Lupicia in your area (there aren't many in the U.S.) go there. They have a spectacular range from Japanese and Chinese teas for serious tea drinkers to wonderful fruit-flavored, decaf, and roiboos, chamomile, and so on. There are special sampler tins so you can sniff everything.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

TheKennedys posted:

Outlet malls are absolutely a thing down south too, we have one about ten minutes from my house that's one of the biggest in the country (around a million sqft, 350+ stores) - people come from everywhere, including Mexico, just for the drat outlet mall, it's nuts. It's also 100 degrees for about five months straight from May to September and nobody gives a single poo poo, they still descend on the parking lot daily like a swarm of locusts. God forbid it's tax-free weekend, or immediately before a holiday. Fucks up the traffic on absurd levels, and it's I-35 through a college town so it's already pretty poo poo to start with.

The GameStop is on the other side of town, in a Walmart parking lot, because that's how GameStops work in Texas. If they're not three to a mall they're in a strip mall in a Walmart parking lot.

Lol. You live in San Marcos.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheKennedys posted:

I don't know where the closest GameStop is to me

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

The Bananana posted:

Lol. You live in San Marcos.

Yeah :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If there's a Lupicia in your area (there aren't many in the U.S.) go there. They have a spectacular range from Japanese and Chinese teas for serious tea drinkers to wonderful fruit-flavored, decaf, and roiboos, chamomile, and so on. There are special sampler tins so you can sniff everything.

I can confirm that Lupicia is amazing, but the one in San Francisco's mall closed, because it's San Francisco and there were two other tea stores in that mall (David's Tea and...maybe even a Teavana?). The point is that it was a loss, since that place was calm as gently caress for a mall store. I think they reopened in Japan town.

The point is, get their Mango Oolong and Peach green tea (Momoko). Wonderfully refreshing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can confirm that Lupicia is amazing, but the one in San Francisco's mall closed, because it's San Francisco and there were two other tea stores in that mall (David's Tea and...maybe even a Teavana?). The point is that it was a loss, since that place was calm as gently caress for a mall store. I think they reopened in Japan town.

The point is, get their Mango Oolong and Peach green tea (Momoko). Wonderfully refreshing.

Momoko is fabulous, as is their only-in-SF "te de frutas". Sadly, the only Lupicia in the Bay Area is now in the Mitsuwa Marketplace in San Jose. We like going there because of all the interesting foods, but we're on the Peninsula, not in the City. They also do mail order, of course. Mitsuwa Marketplace has another store inside them that has these amazing frozen mochi that are like hearing angels' voices.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Oh no, not Mike Meyers' brother! How will he survive?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Spiderjelly posted:

LOL, right!

He can just blackmail his brother to reveal that hes gay for money.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

JB50 posted:

LOL, right!

He can just blackmail his brother to reveal that hes gay for money.

Hmm...

Do you think Mike Myers would even care if his brother were gay?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Spiderjelly posted:

36 years worth of severance probably would have helped. He gives the press someone to interview, so he's kind of a spokesperson for shaming Sears now. Even though someone like Lampert feels no shame.

A co-worker of a friend of mine was thinking of taking a job at Sears three months ago. So he asked my wife to call them, and she gave the whole "Probably not a good idea right now" speech. That would have sucked. My wife knew all this poo poo when she took the job, but this girl had no clue.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The JC Penney's here has been trying to pre-sell the store fixtures on Craigslist. It's how I knew the store was closing before it was formally announced.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I like how that Rue 21 is completely gutted but they didn't bother closing the gates so you can just walk in there and play street hockey or something
The hours I spent playing dodgeball in a gutted Dollar General were some of the happiest of my teenage years.

I can only imagine trying to do it in a store that has a wall that's nothing but windows.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have the mental image of everyone using Kraft BBQ sauce. :barf:

Kraft stuff isn't super popular here in the UK.

Which is why our mayonnaise is far less grotesque than yours.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Outlet Malls..they used to be a place where you can get deals on outdated or unsold merch. Genuinely overstock outlet goods.

Now they companies are wise to this. Most of the stuff you get at those outlet places are made specifically for outlet locations. So youre just getting the same thing as you would anyways, just slightly cheaper made and priced for the location.

Not a bad thing, mind you, but they arent "deals", just a different sub brand.

Also for tea, go to gong fu tea in the east village.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

J Crew Factory comes to mind.

Their ties are fine, I guess, but everything is basically discount made in terms of quality

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Doggles posted:

That JC Penney is scheduled to close at the end of the month. I'll see if I can get some shots of the bare displays inside tomorrow.

And down it goes.

Citadel Mall-53 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-55 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-57 by Will King, on Flickr

Sears, you feelin' okay? You're not looking so hot over there...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Going into stores doing liquidation sales near the end, right before they close for good, is the most distressing thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Jastiger posted:

Outlet Malls..they used to be a place where you can get deals on outdated or unsold merch. Genuinely overstock outlet goods.

Now they companies are wise to this. Most of the stuff you get at those outlet places are made specifically for outlet locations. So youre just getting the same thing as you would anyways, just slightly cheaper made and priced for the location.

Not a bad thing, mind you, but they arent "deals", just a different sub brand.

Also for tea, go to gong fu tea in the east village.

You can still get good deals if you go to the department store outlets. Go to Off 5th, Nordstrom Rack, Last Call, etc and ask for sell off. Of course "deal" is pretty subjective; I've seen Gucci leather jackets marked down from $5200 to $1200. A great deal? Sure. Reasonably priced? No way.