Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Could someone here explain to me, or show me a guide for, how to upload pictures that weren't hand-drawn onto the Splatnet? Google's got nothing and someone in another thread said you had to upload it by replacing a screenshot on your switch's SD card... except the microsd card is in a format that can't be read by Windows 7 as far as I can tell. What am I missing here?

1) Create/map out a 320x120 B&W image in a program like photoshop, with clean lines, patterns, and/or dithered photos.
2A) Slap a grid on it to use as reference
2B) OR use a capture card so you can overlay it onto the game screen for tracing
3) Punch the pixels in meticulously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Anybody want to do Samon Run I'm at Profreshional.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gimbal lock posted:

He was displaying the game on his pc and was overlaying a picture on top (he was still drawing pixel by pixel using the controller though).

Found another:

https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/Switch-Fightstick/blob/master/README.md

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Would it be OP if you just dropped the Stingray and it autotargeted enemies and slowly follow them?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Yo so will multiples of sub-abilities increase the power? Or should you go for a wide array of abilities?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zeruel posted:

Yo so will multiples of sub-abilities increase the power? Or should you go for a wide array of abilities?

Yeah stacking is a good idea. I'm not sure how it works in Splat2 exactly but basically the top ability would be stronger than the smaller abilities after the 1st one, so you'd have to stack several small ones to get the same benefit you'd get from having 1 of the top icons. And you can theoretically stack both across items, but there's probably breakpoints so I wouldn't necessarily stack all of the exact same thing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If it's like the first game, there's diminishing returns on stacking, but we'll probably have to wait until some folks make lab videos to confirm where the sweet spots are.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

This is sweet as hell but also kinda destroys the magic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

This is sweet as hell but also kinda destroys the magic

Yeah :shrug: at least building the code and installing it on a fightstick is beyond most people's skill or patience

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mr. Grizz's favorite little worker

I can't believe people complained about this weapon set. They are more specalized than the last one but when everyone plays to their strengths they work so well together.

What the hell am I supposed to do now though? Actually play the other modes?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is there a way to check GrizzCo hours? The app doesn't seem to list them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You know what legit sucks? Had a couple friends at whatever the rank below overachiever is and one friend who just started salmon run. We grouped up and it put the difficulty at Profreshinal for some bizarre reason so every loss I had would dock pay while winning gained nothing. Now I'm back to low overachiever due to friends getting to grips with the difficulty and no way to get back up.

If you're not gonna let me climb thats fine game, I said that's cool, but don't dock me for something I can't recover from. I don't even know if lower-tier'd friends were getting any higher. Ugh.

We did have a good run at some point though.

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008
How are you supposed to be Fresh, when the game forces you to be Dry?

(instert huge rant about how the matchmaking keeps loving me over)

Time to move on I suppose, because I can't "git gud" this way.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is there a way to check GrizzCo hours? The app doesn't seem to list them.

It's in the menu under modes. It'll list the next upcoming date, map and weapons.

The one coming up on the 27th is actually going to be all autoguns, for those complaining about spreads of weapons.

Internet Kraken posted:

Mr. Grizz's favorite little worker

I can't believe people complained about this weapon set. They are more specalized than the last one but when everyone plays to their strengths they work so well together.

What the hell am I supposed to do now though? Actually play the other modes?

I admittedly cannot touch this level of freshness, but in that final hour I did Do The Thing:

For the third time in this intro weekend, I became both a pro and fresh. I was a fresh, raw pro.

After playing with goons knocked me down from that rank twice.

I'm gonna put on my tryhard source-your-quotes pants for a moment here and say that some of y'all, even the new folks, need to take some time to learn all the weapons to a point of basic competency. I heard a lot of complaining about weapons for today, but I agree entirely with Kraken, this weapon set was an amazing spread of some of the deadliest weapons in the game and there wasn't a single dud in there. Any problems were on the other side of the controller. And yeah, it's tryharding over a transitory internet videogame rank, but the benefit of being higher pay grade and maintaining it is going to make daily farming in the future a lot easier and there's reasons to want to stay up there - so when people don't know how to use basic weapon types and don't seem engaged in doing so, it don't feel great, yo.

All that being said,

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You know what legit sucks? Had a couple friends at whatever the rank below overachiever is and one friend who just started salmon run. We grouped up and it put the difficulty at Profreshinal for some bizarre reason so every loss I had would dock pay while winning gained nothing. Now I'm back to low overachiever due to friends getting to grips with the difficulty and no way to get back up.

If you're not gonna let me climb thats fine game, I said that's cool, but don't dock me for something I can't recover from. I don't even know if lower-tier'd friends were getting any higher. Ugh.

This is also a real problem and the mixed-rank difficulty curving for Salmon Run doesn't feel like it's working like it should. It's really easy for well-meaning new guys to get thrown into a loving shark tank just for wanting to play with friends, which feels like the opposite of what the mode wants to be. I know a few folks were speculating that it biases toward the lower person's level, but there's just no way - when I grouped with someone in part timer and a few other folks as a pro, it threw us into something that was at least high overachiever, if not low pro.

It's all new and I'm sure there are bugs to work out, but hopefully this can be improved sooner rather than later.

also to make this post even longer than it was:

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

I'm not quite sure what this is talking about. Freshness is a per-weapon bonus that is a bit nice to have but shouldn't trouble you too much, especially if you are new. And yes, the Turf War matchmaking is rather scattershot, especially right now, since there's so many players of all skill levels at the lower levels. But you absolutely can "get good" in Turf War if you stick to a few weapons - I think everyone should know how to use all the game's weapons, but it pays to learn a few specific ones that click with you inside and out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Play ranked, turf wars is randoms.

If you're in ranked, elo hell doesn't exist and you're where you're supposed to be.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Got to level 10 today and I forgot how much more I enjoy the ranked modes. It's always ridiculously intense and I love it.

I noticed that some of the amiibo unlock tracks that play in battles on the first game. I really hope they eventually let those be used in battles here and not just for the music mini game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

This is also a real problem and the mixed-rank difficulty curving for Salmon Run doesn't feel like it's working like it should. It's really easy for well-meaning new guys to get thrown into a loving shark tank just for wanting to play with friends, which feels like the opposite of what the mode wants to be. I know a few folks were speculating that it biases toward the lower person's level, but there's just no way - when I grouped with someone in part timer and a few other folks as a pro, it threw us into something that was at least high overachiever, if not low pro.

I had this issue today. I'm professional and I played a few matches with some friends who had not done salmon run before, thinking that we'd be on their difficulty level and I just wouldn't get rewarded much for it.

Instead it felt like it tossed them into just below professional difficulty immediately and they got rocked HARD.

I was like "it starts out easy for awhile and then it ramps up" and we didn't finish round 3 one time today. I mean, they need practice, but... that's the point.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Buying all the weapon upgrades in singleplayer unlocks purchasing 50% food tickets for 1500 power eggs. It's not really worth grinding for but you'll have tons and tons of spare eggs if you're unlocking the hero weapons for turf war. Don't bother smashing every crate

Completing a level with each weapon also awards a 50% food ticket but that's totally not worth the time

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/889365891074342912

Only thing slowing the sale of Splatoon 2 is Nintendo's inability to match the domestic demand of the Switch.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

is there like, a discord or a chat or some poo poo wherein goons congregate to play Spla2n, and if so, what is it

There's the nintengoons discord linked in the OP of the Switch thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

Buying all the weapon upgrades in singleplayer unlocks purchasing 50% food tickets for 1500 power eggs. It's not really worth grinding for but you'll have tons and tons of spare eggs if you're unlocking the hero weapons for turf war. Don't bother smashing every crate

Completing a level with each weapon also awards a 50% food ticket but that's totally not worth the time

Its more of a consolation prize, "Look you wasted so much time in single player you're gonna need help catching up on your multiplayer level, have this food ticket"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its more of a consolation prize, "Look you wasted so much time in single player you're gonna need help catching up on your multiplayer level, have this food ticket"

I mentioned this in the Switch thread, but I can't get the authorization to work.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I dunno, I feel like a lot of my Salmon Run success at higher levels has been complete RNG in terms of events. A lot of them flat did not appear until Profreshional and I can tell that from a lot of how other people perform at that rank, they didn't for them either. Better pray the people you are playing with know how the gusher, the griller, the glowfly, or the mother ship events work, because boy howdy you might as well be flipping a coin!

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 24, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

lol as if you'd even be playing turf wars if i hadn't personally saved inkopolis from the marauding giant electric fish you're welcome

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like Griller and Glowfly are fine when you first see them if not a little chaotic.

Who the gently caress knows what the mothership events about when that happens for the first time and Mr. Grizz is screaming at you the entire time. Gushers? I haven't even seen that one yet.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
The gusher one is where the manholes you see lying around light up and you have to pop open the correct one to reveal a gold salmonid who will drop eggs if you shoot it (shooting the wrong one spawns a torrent of regulars). Apparently the one with the most light is the correct one but I'll be damned if I can see the difference.

e: I think its quite rare, but because of that a lot of people are gonna struggle to get a handle on it and beat the time limit.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 24, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I''m ranked one above go-getter. I've had the manhole one a couple of times and it was pretty smooth. Grillers I've had a hard time with unless the gatling gun player's on the ball. Keeping the stage inked makes running away a lot easier, too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

lol as if you'd even be playing turf wars if i hadn't personally saved inkopolis from the marauding giant electric fish you're welcome

For beating the campaign sure, but within the context of re-beating every level over and over with other weapons to unlock them?

You don't get tickets until you've already maxed out all your weapon upgrades.

I'm not saying the single player is a waste of time brah relax.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Huh! Maybe I'm just having weird luck in terms of events.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
I swear eating anything triggers the secret "Putting your rear end with three clowns wielding rollers. Or just not filling your team" code of the matchmaking.

Hell, I just got out of a game where it was literally 2 vs .4. Why its so drat hard to just not stop/restart games that don't start with full teams is beyond my understanding.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I'm fresh as hell

I'm hoping that Splatoon will see the same kind of balancing as Arms seems to have.

Also how do you use the curling bomb special properly? I just try poo poo out as many as I can in various directions.

e: lmao didn't realise how many ink refills up I have

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Blank Construct posted:

I dunno, I feel like a lot of my Salmon Run success at higher levels has been complete RNG in terms of events. A lot of them flat did not appear until Profreshional and I can tell that from a lot of how other people perform at that rank, they didn't for them either. Better pray the people you are playing with know how the gusher, the griller, the glowfly, or the mother ship events work, because boy howdy you might as well be flipping a coin!
I got mothership at pay grade 165 and holy gently caress could nobody handle it. I must've blown up 12 boxes and only 1 of them had a golden egg in it. I'm convinced that poo poo is broken.

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

Play ranked, turf wars is randoms.

If you're in ranked, elo hell doesn't exist and you're where you're supposed to be.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that right a way. :tipshat:

*intermission music plays*

Yea nah, doesn't work, ranked is loving retarded randoms too and elo hell is C-, but that is where I'm supposed to be as it seems. (also there is no "YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!", this is a team effort, and if you're paired with Aerosplat MG retards who still think they are hot poo poo with their curling bomb spam in ranked, you are SOL)
At least the matches in ranked are over in unter a minute, but on the flip side you get diddly squat.

My w/l ratio is now 18/32, good loving matchmaking this. :wave:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I got mothership at pay grade 165 and holy gently caress could nobody handle it. I must've blown up 12 boxes and only 1 of them had a golden egg in it. I'm convinced that poo poo is broken.

Every cooler should produce a golden egg if they're hit before they land.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zeruel posted:

I'm fresh as hell

Sup my fresh friend?

BTW how did you get your screenshot of that? I had to take a screenshot of my phone and crop it to get that image and the share button produces something different.

Edit: I am no longer fresh. I got 1.5 points knocked off for losing a game by 2%. :(

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Every cooler should produce a golden egg if they're hit before they land.
Ha, I hit every one after landing, so that explains that (unlike the bear.) It's worth mentioning I had a roller.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 24, 2017

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Sup my fresh friend?

BTW how did you get your screenshot of that? I had to take a screenshot of my phone and crop it to get that image and the share button produces something different.

I'm on my phone too :v: that's what I did.

ALSO golden eggs come from the dudes who drop the eskies/boxes, guaranteed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo if you're getting mad at this game, you should like, re-evaluate what led you to this in your life.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i also like that song it is very j-new wave you know

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
edit: nevermind looks like it was an exploit that was fixed

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Been thinking of maybe getting a switch and this is the first game ive seen to really sway me. If I played the first Splatoon and didn't really love the online gameplay from it but wanted to give it a go in the second one, and also will probably mostly play by myself, is this game worth buying the switch for? tia