Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Actually that is Helga's original VA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That personals ad that Heifer writes for Rocko toward the end of the first series is amazing:

Marsupial with big hairy chest seeks female with same. Will suck the fillings out of your teeth if you let me. Very adventurous, will try anything once, twice if you're lucky!

Also Heifer is very straightforward about his crush on his neighbour - "Are you still lusting after Milba?"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

drrockso20 posted:

Actually that is Helga's original VA

Really? She doesn't sound very good anymore then in that case :/

Arnold on the other hand sounds good

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 22, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I have to admit, I am a little wary about the new Hey Arnold movie because a big part of the show was its almost Springfield-esque expanded cast of characters and the relatively grounded urban setting and going on a jungle adventure seems like it gets rid of both of those. Also a running theme of the show was the way that a lot of the families were non-traditional and even dysfunctional (the whole subplot of Helga's mom being an alcoholic went completely over my head as a kid) yet still loved and cared for each other, and Arnold's parents being alive is kind of a slap in the face to that. It would be like if they made a movie where Grandpa won the lottery and they moved out of their lovely tenement with the one bathroom and went to Los Angeles or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the eye exam in the driving test was inspired, with the doctor deliberately scaring the hell out of Rocko, then when his eyes bulge out of their sockets he just yells "HOLD THAT POSE! They're much easier to examine this way..." :3: I like animation jokes.

I don't remember much of Rocko because it was never my favorite thing growing up, but I do distinctly remember this scene, because it scared the hell out of me/grossed me out so that when I actually had to get glasses a few years later I was freaking out about imagining what an eye exam consisted of.

Guy Mann posted:

I have to admit, I am a little wary about the new Hey Arnold movie because a big part of the show was its almost Springfield-esque expanded cast of characters and the relatively grounded urban setting and going on a jungle adventure seems like it gets rid of both of those. Also a running theme of the show was the way that a lot of the families were non-traditional and even dysfunctional (the whole subplot of Helga's mom being an alcoholic went completely over my head as a kid) yet still loved and cared for each other, and Arnold's parents being alive is kind of a slap in the face to that. It would be like if they made a movie where Grandpa won the lottery and they moved out of their lovely tenement with the one bathroom and went to Los Angeles or something.

Yeah, I felt that way ever since it was announced. Like, in the show, Arnold's parents really hardly ever came up (I think there was only one episode where they're even seen, and it was in like a picture or something, but then again maybe my memory's playing tricks on me) and Arnold never seemed particularly torn up about his parents being absent. Taking him out of the show's original setting and trying to make "We're finally gonna see Arnold's parents!" a big deal seems... stupid, I guess is the only word I can think of?

Now that I'm typing it all out, it reminds me a lot of the Amazing Spider-Man movies (the ones with Andrew Garfield) and their weird shoehorned plot trying to get the audience to give a poo poo about some mystery concerning Peter's parents' death. No one give a poo poo, they know he lives with Aunt May and Uncle Ben and fights crime and that's all you need. Similarly, Arnold's parents have never been anything of a hanging plot that the audience was dying to know about, he lives with his grandparents and weird surrogate boarding house family and that's good enough.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My problem with the original Hey Arnold is the kids are supposed to be 9. Dunno who they made them so young, the characters and plots would work just as well if they were 12 or 13 and some of the romance/dating stuff would seem less... Strange?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My problem with the original Hey Arnold is the kids are supposed to be 9. Dunno who they made them so young, the characters and plots would work just as well if they were 12 or 13 and some of the romance/dating stuff would seem less... Strange?

Eh they really only three relationship things in the show, and two of them were pretty unimportant. The Gerald and Pheobe thing was kept largly in the background, and the thing with Arnold and whatsherface was more about Helga. Helga being in love with Arnold was the only one that was really front and center and it was always so over the top and ridiculous it never felt weird to me. I also liked how very Arnold it was when at the end of the movie when Helga tries to play off her confession to him as some bullshit heat of the moment nonsense, he's just like "yeah totally :)" and letting her completely off the hook.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The main difference between the revivals is that Rocko takes place in the same place as the original series while Hey Arnold is moving everyone to an unfamiliar environment. All moving to the jungle will do is result in the same tired jokes and situations that all cartoon characters go through in the jungle, but Rocko has had 20 years of biding it's time as society changes just enough for new jokes to exist, even if by this time they have been beaten to most of the jokes by other shows. There's room for new satirical points and I'm curious how far they'll go making fun of things like the severely hosed economy. With Conglom-O going full Apple it wouldn't be surprising if they were now entirely online to save money, putting most of their workers out of jobs and resulting in the main Conglom-O building being repurposed as a giant jobcentre or tech support building. I'm also curious how much the Bigheads will change because they are always the hardest hit by the system.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I felt that way ever since it was announced. Like, in the show, Arnold's parents really hardly ever came up (I think there was only one episode where they're even seen, and it was in like a picture or something, but then again maybe my memory's playing tricks on me) and Arnold never seemed particularly torn up about his parents being absent. Taking him out of the show's original setting and trying to make "We're finally gonna see Arnold's parents!" a big deal seems... stupid, I guess is the only word I can think of?

There was this one episode where arnold's grandpa told him about what happened to his parents and their jungle adventures, and the Jungle Movie was planned back when the series was still going (originally it was meant to be a theatrical movie even then, but the TV movie was made into a theatrical movie instead and the show got cancelled)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

There was this one episode where arnold's grandpa told him about what happened to his parents and their jungle adventures, and the Jungle Movie was planned back when the series was still going (originally it was meant to be a theatrical movie even then, but the TV movie was made into a theatrical movie instead and the show got cancelled)

Said episode was also a 47-minute two-parter lead-in for the Jungle Movie, serving as a cliffhanger ending to the show proper as the final episode produced. And now the movie is coming out exactly 15 years after that cliffhanger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At this rate we're going to see Gargoyles and Pirates of Darkwater revivals. Are networks suddenly all apologising for shows they screwed over?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Inescapable Duck posted:

At this rate we're going to see Gargoyles and Pirates of Darkwater revivals. Are networks suddenly all apologising for shows they screwed over?

Those would be interesting. Not sure they could do gargoyles without Weissman. Darkwater could be rebooted with a good team, I remember that world, especially the dark water itself, being especially strange and terrifying as a child.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Those would be interesting. Not sure they could do gargoyles without Weissman. Darkwater could be rebooted with a good team, I remember that world, especially the dark water itself, being especially strange and terrifying as a child.

They did do Gargoyles without Weisman :v: He's disowned season 3, and when he got to write a comic book continuation, he almost completely ignored it, picking up from the season 3 pilot, which he wrote before leaving. I'd love to see more Gargoyles but Weisman has a knack for plotting long-term stories that are longer than a series can possibly last, and we'd probably end up in the same situation after two or three seasons of a hypothetical reboot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
In Gargoyles' case he was literally doing it as instructed. Eisner basically said that he wanted this teen focused, action and adventure based universe that they could build up into something like the Marvel or DC universes. That's why Weisman had such a long plan and set ups for so many spin offs in the show itself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's more a matter of reviving series that seem to have had very strong fan followings long after their cancellation or have received an overwhelming amount of requests for.

IMO, I want a MegasXLR revival, but that may be a bit too new and too niche.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I'm gonna be honest, I felt like Megas XLR could have done more with its premise. There's a lot more that could have been done with some of their parodies. And it was too overly reliant on the "things get drawn out until Koop finds the random joke button the dashboard directly points out to him" gag.

Not saying it was a bad show but it was a more than a bit repetitive.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
It's been noted before the Megas has been writenoff as a tax lost/whatever accounting magic it's called so it will never come back.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Can't wait two or three years for Danny Phantom and My Life As A Teenage Robot to get new things. And then Foster's Home.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

It's been noted before the Megas has been writenoff as a tax lost/whatever accounting magic it's called so it will never come back.

Well technically CN could buy the rights back, the problem is that someone else nabbed them and no one knows who did it so they can buy the rights back from them

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pirates ended on that terribly awesome cliffhanger where Blargh or whatever thay fat captain's name was replaced as a Big Bad by Halfthulhu.

One Piece is popular, so why not DarkWater?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Can't wait two or three years for Danny Phantom and My Life As A Teenage Robot to get new things. And then Foster's Home.

You joke but Danny Phantom is ALMOST SORT OF coming back.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/20/16003066/danny-phantom-series-youtube-butch-hartman

Butch Hartman is very, very, very active on YouTube. Though, he says if Nick asked him to come back for Fairly OddParents or Danny Phantom, he'd stop everything to go back.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/20/16003066/danny-phantom-series-youtube-butch-hartman

Butch Hartman is very, very, very active on YouTube. Though, he says if Nick asked him to come back for Fairly OddParents or Danny Phantom, he'd stop everything to go back.

Oh yeah, I know. Butch's been pushing DP *a lot* in the last few months, it for sure feels like a pitch for Nickelodeon. Like, I wouldn't be shocked if "5 million viewers for all the new designs" ends up being a tipping point or something. And with Invader ZIM already happening, I can see MLaaTR getting something if only because they'd be running out of Nicktoons they can tap creators for.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If I recall properly apparently Chalk Zone's creator also wants to do more, as does As Told By Ginger's creator

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall properly apparently Chalk Zone's creator also wants to do more, as does As Told By Ginger's creator

Sadly, neither of those are nearly as beloved. Rugrats would probably get a revival before those two.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I felt like Megas XLR could have done more with its premise. There's a lot more that could have been done with some of their parodies. And it was too overly reliant on the "things get drawn out until Koop finds the random joke button the dashboard directly points out to him" gag.

Not saying it was a bad show but it was a more than a bit repetitive.

Yeah, I was basically the target audience since it came out when I was a teenager so I had both an appreciation of all the references to old nerd poo poo and the way it was trying to be cool and new but the show never really lived up to its premise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Sadly, neither of those are nearly as beloved. Rugrats would probably get a revival before those two.

Maybe but Nick is clearly putting involvement of the original creators as a top priority for these movies, so that shifts things a bit in their favor

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Nothing really kills a joke more than retelling it over and over.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

If they pretend the last 2 or so episodes never happened I'd be down with that. DP was kind of underrated IMO so it would be nice to get more of it.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO95ZRrMSxw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Danny Phantom didn't age very well, though it was still pretty interesting.

I wonder if they could get the rights for the Ghostbusters to show up, since the show seems almost perfect for that, complete with Danny's parents fanboying over them and having been huge fans of them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Danny Phantom was surprisingly good, maybe I should try rewatching it some time. I think towards the end of the show's run I was either not watching as much TV or Nickelodeon was playing too fast and loose with scheduling for me to really catch enough of it , because a lot of plot stuff was happening and I missed most of it.

I had similar trouble with Avatar towards the end, the last episode I saw was the Day of the Black Sun and then after that, I only managed to catch the end of the show on DVD release. I think networks get really uncomfortable about airing reruns of shows with ongoing plots, and Nickelodeon was particularly bad.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I never liked Danny Phantom. I don't know how much of it was the quality of the show or my personal grudge against Butch Hartman as a kid because of that weird period where you only got half a new Invader Zim on Fridays because they would run one of his shorts in its time slot instead

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Danny Phantom lost one of the best writers for season three and it shows, but that series was a lot of fun for me.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
There might be interest for a As Told By Ginger revival, Nick aired some unaired(in the US) episodes around 2016 Nov.

But some other stuff happened around that time so it wasn't even on the radra for people that might have cared.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I rewatched DP last year and tbh it was even better than I remembered. Had it come out in the last four years, it would've easily become some kind of iconic megahit now that people are seeking continuously developing characters and shifting status quos.

YggiDee posted:

Danny Phantom lost one of the best writers for season three and it shows, but that series was a lot of fun for me.

I forget the exact details, but it went deeper than that. Said best writer was also producer and such, and then the person he'd team up with would also get dropped. A few other writers left off, with most of season 3 being basically Butch, previous writers and new staff split evenly. Hartman got more influence that season, apparently, and budget was pretty low after the two GBA games and shifting to a new animation studio.

Less technical, but there was also a somewhat unfortunate timing for the last season as far as Danny's character went: he had naturally reached a 'cocky' stage in his development by the end of season 2. His character went through a lot, and even though he had episodes where he was overconfident, the last few episodes of season 2 were almost explicitly him straight up thinking he's hot poo poo for basically defeating all of his fears, including what his parents would do if they knew and just kicking Vlad's rear end with stuff. The final episode was him toning it down and appreciating his friends, buuuut S3 kinda just leans on his cockiness which lead to a far more generic teen hero character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only problem with DP, as I see it, is that Hartman's normal art style doesn't lend itself to action at all.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait so Hartman's not making FOP? THEN WHO IS? THE ZOMBIE SHOW IS PRODUCING ITSELF! :ghost:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The abbreviation of Danny Phantom in this thread is really messing with me

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dangerous Person posted:

The abbreviation of Danny Phantom in this thread is really messing with me

This is why I get uncomfortable when people start talking about Ayn Rand. It's not my fault! We aren't related!

Anyway, apparently Welcome to the Wayne airs today? Has anybody been able to form an opinion about that?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

The only problem with DP, as I see it, is that Hartman's normal art style doesn't lend itself to action at all.

Wait so Hartman's not making FOP? THEN WHO IS? THE ZOMBIE SHOW IS PRODUCING ITSELF! :ghost:

A FOP or Danny Phantom movie special specifically. Sorry!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Id assume FOP stopped being produced like 3 years ago but Nick keepa releasing its corpse finger by finger every month or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Somewhere in the corporate offices of Nickelodeon studios a C-level exec realizies that the creator of FOP has moved on years ago. He investigates studio But finds it dusty and abandoned. Pictures are left out half drawn and food sits rotten and unfinished. Getting worried, he tries to call the people on the end credits of the show but to his horror discovers that what's listed isn't artists but the names of children who died mysterious and grisly deaths over the past few years.

Now in a panic he asks everyone he can find where the episodes are coming from but no one is sure. The files just sort of show up on Butch Hartman's old FTP site on their own. Honestly most people are baffled that the show is still on at all since the ratings have been abysmal for years. Which is good because on closer inspection the later episodes contain some... disturbing content. One episode is simply Timmy crying for the whole show while his parents have a violent fight in the other room. In another Timmy searches for AJ only to find him and the entire cast buried in a mass grave. They also added a magic baby, a dog and a girl for some reason which seems to the exec like kind of a stupid and desperate move.

The most recent episode is just a still shot of Timmy's rotting corpse gathering flies as the show's theme plays somewhere in the distance. It's four hours long. The end credits play like normal, however this time there is only one all too familiar name listed over and over. Then the power cuts out and everything goes black. Somewhere in the darkness of the exec's luxury condo a melody starts to play.

"Timmy was an average kid... who no one understands..."