Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Should I 5* Zelphiel, and more importantly, should I give him life and death? The decrease in defensive stats doesn't seemed worth it.

No. gently caress armor units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zephiel is a good unit who is worth 5 starring if you need a slow defensive red powerhouse, especially if you have Hectors to spare. However, speed is his dump stat so you're right, LaD is hot garbage on him

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Armor units need Distant Counter these days to keep up, so unless you have Hectors to throw around it's hard to recommend them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Andrast posted:

No. gently caress armor units.

*breathes heavily*

but i need that one orb

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Well if you want to do it as investment for clearing armor quests and other non-arena content then sure, Zeph's great as far as armors go.

And he's not bad without DC, mind you, just high-maintenance as all armors are.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Trebek posted:

Horse teams have been killing me too. Even with the game forcing me to bring Mathilda.

Mathilda is also the worst colour for an anti-mage unit right now (blue). If she was green she'd be way better. Still bad (Titania is pretty much green Mathilda and she's pretty blah), but better.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Should I 5* Zelphiel, and more importantly, should I give him life and death? The decrease in defensive stats doesn't seemed worth it.

As someone who ran LnD while zeph was a bonus unit, it's not worth it, Earth boost is amazing on him though, if you have a lame 4 star boey to burn like I did.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tired Moritz posted:

*breathes heavily*

but i need that one orb

4* Zephiel does the job just fine for the purpose of the monthly 10th Stratum Hell quests.

I have all of one 5* on my armor team (Effie), with Zephiel and Sheena being 4* and Draug still being 3* and they can clear that quest with minimal headache. Spend your feathers getting your armors kitted out with good skills instead! In general, Bonfire and Pivot or Swap are must-haves, and make sure to pass those armor buffs around. Sheena gets one, as does Gwendolyn, and Draug.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Finally pulled a focus (Mathilda) off of Alm's banner, so probably gonna start saving up orbs for whatever inevitable fall holiday costumes banner pops up.

Was gonna ask if/when repeats of grand hero battles might start popping up but it looks like Lloyd will be up again with an infernal difficulty added in. I've missed quite a few of these so hopefully we'll see more repeats every once in a while.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Is there a good build for STiki (+ATK/-RES) involving Close Defense, or do I just slap a Brave Axe+Death Blow on her?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Spectral Werewolf posted:

it looks like Lloyd will be up again with an infernal difficulty added in.

Cool. Maybe he will be a bit of a challenge now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Retcon posted:

Is there a good build for STiki (+ATK/-RES) involving Close Defense, or do I just slap a Brave Axe+Death Blow on her?

If you pull a Saber, she has some very strong physical bulk with Pavise + Shield Pulse 3 with enough ATK to still dent things.

Or give her a Killer Axe+ and Quick Riposte. If you can be bothered to stick Aether and Quickened Pulse on her, that gives her an Aether ready to go after her first combat. Or just give her Bonfire.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
My Armour Emblem team (Hector, Sheena, Effie, Zelph) gives me a gajillion defenses each season. I'd loves to know exactly how but fukit, I'll take the extra 900 feathers kthnxbye

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
gently caress cavalry teams

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Roger Explosion posted:

My Armour Emblem team (Hector, Sheena, Effie, Zelph) gives me a gajillion defenses each season. I'd loves to know exactly how but fukit, I'll take the extra 900 feathers kthnxbye

My guess is that your team gets caught in a buffing/swaping loop, and the opposing team runs up to them to get slaughtered.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you pull a Saber, she has some very strong physical bulk with Pavise + Shield Pulse 3 with enough ATK to still dent things.

Or give her a Killer Axe+ and Quick Riposte. If you can be bothered to stick Aether and Quickened Pulse on her, that gives her an Aether ready to go after her first combat. Or just give her Bonfire.
Don't have Saber unfortunately, my orbs on that banner all went to Sonya. Quick Riposte seems like a good idea, though I'll probably stick with Bonfire for now. Aether does makes me interested in a gimmicky QP+Aether+Heavy Blade build, but I think I already hit my quota of "dumb wasteful things involving summer units" by putting Distant Counter on my Summer Robin :v:

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

How many Distant Counters does your team have?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Roger Explosion posted:

Isn't your Sheena an insane meatwall with Distant Counter, among other things? I'd chalk it up to that. People don't expect Sheena to be good. (Even though she totally is.)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, distant counter Sheena with a Bonfire/Ignis might actually be pretty difficult for some teams to handle. Especially when they aren't expecting it.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Isn't your Sheena an insane meatwall with Distant Counter, among other things? I'd chalk it up to that. People don't expect Sheena to be good. (Even though she totally is.)
Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Sheena's one of those units like Hana that has amazing potential but doesn't get that much attention. Also, I'm pretty sure I started getting a lot more defense wins once I started using YTiki as the lead unit for my defense team.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Distant Counter on units other than the natural toolkit would get a lot more defense wins.

Hell, that's what killed me half the time against the Yamada maps because he pulled a billion spare Hectors.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I still haven't found anyone worthy of my spare Hector from the hero fest banner

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you're running an armored team, be sure to have reposition available for them. Pivot is fine but it doesn't let the person who gets moved that much the opportunity to attack immediately. Reposition lets you catapult an armored unit right into the fray and attack that same turn.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Silver Falcon posted:

For once, this week I'll have a high enough rank to move up to Tier 19! Unless something goes horribly wrong. I forget how that happened. I just used the usual Nino Team since Sharena is a bonus unit. I guess I just managed to luck into enough points, plus a deathless run.

I'm at rank 4,040 and the cutoff is 13,979.

that's what mine said last week until the last six hours :unsmigghh:

jokes posted:

If you're running an armored team, be sure to have reposition available for them. Pivot is fine but it doesn't let the person who gets moved that much the opportunity to attack immediately. Reposition lets you catapult an armored unit right into the fray and attack that same turn.

you want smite/reposition because repo advancing only works starting from diagonals with armored

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The White Dragon posted:

that's what mine said last week until the last six hours :unsmigghh:

you want smite/reposition because repo advancing only works starting from diagonals with armored

Yeah smite works too. Pivot was just a waste.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I don't think I understand how the arena matchups are put together, because my team of level 30s just fought 3 level 40+5s and a 32+2 Julia. They had a deathless defense.

But how was that matchup one of the three I could've taken? I have no merged units on that team and none of them are past level 30.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FartingBedpost posted:

I don't think I understand how the arena matchups are put together, because my team of level 30s just fought 3 level 40+5s and a 32+2 Julia. They had a deathless defense.

But how was that matchup one of the three I could've taken? I have no merged units on that team and none of them are past level 30.

Were your units particularly high BST? It just averages the score (and advanced duels give opponents whose score is slightly higher than yours).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe your team was all 5*s and theirs was mostly 4*s? Maybe you had lots of skill inheritance and they had none?

The matchmaking works pretty well at level 40. Sucks to hear it doesn't really work below it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe your team was all 5*s and theirs was mostly 4*s? Maybe you had lots of skill inheritance and they had none?

The matchmaking works pretty well at level 40. Sucks to hear it doesn't really work below it

It breaks pretty bad beneath it because then you run into a level 40 and a couple level 1 dancers type builds. Levels are such a big factor in strength that it becomes real easy to have a situation where the power level of a team fluctuates wildly from member to member and team to team.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

On the other hand I once made an all-level 1 team with a mix of 4* and 5* units and it paired me with another all-level 1 team. I can't remember if the other team had any merges or anything but it was still a pretty close game that I barely won with only Athena left standing. But then she was level 3 so I couldn't do it again.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Apparently being able to scrape a handful of victories against the easiest options is enough to rocket me into the upper echelons of Tier 1. :toot:

I assume this is because most of the people I'm competing against haven't even opened the Arena menu this season.

How do orb rewards for tiers work? Do you just get them the first time you qualify for a tier, or do you get them every season you finish in that tier?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It probably isn't terrible advice to stick to beginner arena until your team is level 40. I assume it's really easy to climb the single digit tiers which you'll be in at that point, though I was in tier 15 when the new system dropped so I don't know for sure

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NRVNQSR posted:

Apparently being able to scrape a handful of victories against the easiest options is enough to rocket me into the upper echelons of Tier 1. :toot:

I assume this is because most of the people I'm competing against haven't even opened the Arena menu this season.

How do orb rewards for tiers work? Do you just get them the first time you qualify for a tier, or do you get them every season you finish in that tier?

You're only competing against people who have completed at least one match (so taking a break for a week doesn't lose you anything).

You get orbs and feathers appropriate for the tier you end up in every week. So someone at the top will have a weekly income of 4 orbs and a few thousand feathers

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I climbed to rank Orb rewards pretty easily by just picking Normal on my newish account. And I still got a billion duelist crests in waiting.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

Were your units particularly high BST? It just averages the score (and advanced duels give opponents whose score is slightly higher than yours).

I didn't think they were particularly high, but that was probably it.

cheetah7071 posted:

Both teams were 50/50 gold/silver, but the Julia and Kagero on the other team had no skill inheritance while I think the only one on my team without new skills was my Elise.

I've never had a problem with Arena before, but that matchup made me realize I had no clue how the matchmaking actually worked.

The teams were:
My team:
29 5* Elise
30 5* Camilla
30 4* Donnel
30 4* Clarisse

Their Team:
32+2 5* Julia
40+5 5* Kagero
40+5 4* ATiki
40+4 4* Priscilla

Edit: Also, the opposing definitely had no skill inheritance at all, which could explain everything.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 24, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In addition to skill inheritance factoring into matchmaking (the more SP your equipped skills cost, the more you're boosted), you'll also rarely be matched way higher than usual. I think you just have a setup that unfortunately causes spurious matchmaking below 40 (but is fine at 40), and then got unlucky on top of that

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 24, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

In addition to skill inheritance factoring into matchmaking (the more SP your equipped skills cost, the more you're boosted), you'll also rarely be matched way higher than usual. I think you just have a setup that unfortunately causes spurious matchmaking below 40 (but I is fine at 40), and then got unlucky on top of that

That makes sense.

I was initially frustrated, but my Clarisse team got a deathless run yesterday, so it kinda feels like that impossible matchup was bound to happen. Just looking at those level 40s and thinking, "I have no clue what led to this" was kinda funny.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

FartingBedpost posted:

I didn't think they were particularly high, but that was probably it.

Both teams were 50/50 gold/silver, but the Julia and Kagero on the other team had no skill inheritance while I think the only one on my team without new skills was my Elise.

I've never had a problem with Arena before, but that matchup made me realize I had no clue how the matchmaking actually worked.

The teams were:
My team:
29 5* Elise
30 5* Camilla
30 4* Donnel
30 4* Clarisse

Their Team:
32+2 5* Julia
40+5 5* Kagero
40+5 4* ATiki
40+4 4* Priscilla

Edit: Also, the opposing definitely had no skill inheritance at all, which could explain everything.

Do you remember what you would have scored if you'd won? The highest score out of the two is the combined BST+ nebulous skill based score of the team. I think the matchmaking sometimes has trouble matching you against any teams at all below level 40, so it just pitches you into the gently caress you tier.

FWIW, I started climbing the ranks after the big arena shakeup a couple of months ago, and (as far as I can remember) got to rank 10 on easy matches, rank 13 on intermediate, rank 15-16 on a mix of intermediate/advanced, and I'm currently bouncing between 17 and 19 on hard matches. I really don't give the arena much thought and can still get good rewards every week.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Murderion posted:

Do you remember what you would have scored if you'd won? The highest score out of the two is the combined BST+ nebulous skill based score of the team. I think the matchmaking sometimes has trouble matching you against any teams at all below level 40, so it just pitches you into the gently caress you tier.

FWIW, I started climbing the ranks after the big arena shakeup a couple of months ago, and (as far as I can remember) got to rank 10 on easy matches, rank 13 on intermediate, rank 15-16 on a mix of intermediate/advanced, and I'm currently bouncing between 17 and 19 on hard matches. I really don't give the arena much thought and can still get good rewards every week.

Between 450-600? I remember the high end being really high, which should've been my first clue.

I got up to tier 19 when BCordelia was a bonus character, but now I'm perfectly comfortable shifting between 17 and 18. 18 is my ceiling, and 17 is my average. I can experiment with teams at tier 17 and not feel envious of the really good players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Actias posted:

Hey, I was just trying to come up with a sword for Gensuki's proposed useless old men team. I'll change my vote to the prematurely-aged-by-meth Lloyd!

Lloyd is the correct level of useless, but sadly he only looks about 35-40. Same with Ogma actually. Middle aged at most.

Actually, on that, are there any old lady fire emblem characters? I've played every game 7 and after (except 12) and I can't remember any. Not as an old sage type, or a retired general, or even as a spooky witch lady. I think the most important female character who is visually "Old" in the series is Old Villager Woman from FE9. I'm not even sure if she exists, but I can kind of imagine her?