Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Deen should do carnival Phantasm S4 and put the konosuba staff on it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I would accept a Konosuba crossover

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pretty sure Kazuma would just hide somewhere for any crossover with Type-Moon. Dude knows the score; it ain't worth it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

UchihaHirou posted:

I would accept a Konosuba crossover

I want Megumin in FGO with an Arash NP

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

10 turn self stun

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Cure status effect

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

one of these days I will read SYM

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Same here, only got a couple chapters deep.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man, I'm kind of surprised about Hakuno's relationships with Nero and Tamamo in Extella.

Like, I was expecting harem anime-esque teasing, instead her relationships with them are explicitly romantic.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Well once you become a god with nothing to do

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dr Pepper posted:

Man, I'm kind of surprised about Hakuno's relationships with Nero and Tamamo in Extella.

Like, I was expecting harem anime-esque teasing, instead her relationships with them are explicitly romantic.

You could go for explicit romances with each of your Servants in the Extra games, regardless of your gender.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
we're talking about a franchise that started with a game that contained a scene where a girl goes "Huh. Guess I'm bi."

even if there's no more explicit sex scenes we're well past the point of teasing in these games

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the prologue of FSN ends with Rin looking at a woman about to kill her and going "well, she fine at least"

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/ufotable/status/889069969270480896

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Drew detail saber, paint black on 90% of it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nyaa posted:

Drew detail saber, paint black on 90% of it.

Actually the second image is way better than the first

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schubalts posted:

You could go for explicit romances with each of your Servants in the Extra games, regardless of your gender.

Well yes but usually sequels to games with romance subplots don't actually acknowledge them in any sequels.

Blockhouse posted:

we're talking about a franchise that started with a game that contained a scene where a girl goes "Huh. Guess I'm bi."

Man Rin was always into cute girls and cute kind of dumb guys.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rin's scenes with Mitsuzuri...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I used to be sorta torn over whether Nasu set out to make Rin bi or just sort of fell into the trap a lot of male authors fall into where, when describing things, they describe the parts that they, as straight men, care about, which is how hot Mitsuzuri or Saber are

I think by Extra I was convinced Nasu was doing it intentionally

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 25, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

I used to be sorta torn over whether Nasu set out to make Rin bi or just sort of fell into the trap a lot of male authors fall into where, when describing things, they describe wthe parts that they, as straight men, are about, which is how hot Mitsuzuri or Saber are

Oh yeah, no, no, no.

When you get POVs from female characters in his works, FSN or otherwise, they sometimes make appraisals of beauty when describing other females. It's just at-a-glance qualitative assessment.

But Rin? She really has to break down why any particular girl is eye candy. And it's not like when he uses narrator voice with metaphors either; she's laser focused.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I used to be sorta torn over whether Nasu set out to make Rin bi or just sort of fell into the trap a lot of male authors fall into where, when describing things, they describe wthe parts that they, as straight men, are about, which is how hot Mitsuzuri or Saber are

if you had read nasu's classic mystic eyes alliance you would have gotten the scene where fake shiki hits on akira and she has no idea what's going on and then she talks to akiha on the phone and spends two paragraphs talking about how sexy her voice is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real tho nasu's always had an interest in non-standard depictions of sexuality and gender. kara no kyoukai is really weird and ??? about it but it's also pretty much explicitly about ryougi's gender identity, tsukihime has akiha and kohaku loving and despite there being a plot reason for it i dont think akiha needed to get her blood from kohaku's fine titties, f/sn is basically filled with it. he hasnt really shied away from it in any place. enkidu and gilgamesh have a pretty explicitly loving relationship, and ccc especially is pretty much about how and why people might want to gently caress and the various combinations in which they'd want to gently caress, and what those desires to gently caress say about us as human beings.

nasu, honestly, is at his best when he's writing weird psychoanalytical comedy about sex, as opposed to horror or action. and i like his horror and action.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Kara no Kyoukai has an interesting scene in both the movies and novels where Azaka tries to interrogate Shiki about how she's presenting herself since Shiki keeps using masculine pronouns (mostly to show that she's still clinging onto her missing male personality) and then it leads to a discussion about whether Mikiya would still find Shiki attractive if she was a guy.

Doesn't take long for him to go, "Yup."

A lot of his stuff defaults to hetero, but Nasu's a little looser in depicting other sexualities and gender identity than one would expect at a glance.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I think part of it is his financial success has allowed him to indulge a lot more, and discuss more non-traditional gender identity / sexual orientations that he has more interest in. He was talked into Shirou by Takeuchi saying a male protagonist would be more marketable, but now that he has hit the big time, he has a lot more room to talk about what he wants as a writer. I don't think it's a coincidence he's gradually become less attached to the standard male protagonist, between Grand Order and the EXTRA series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean Go and Extra do feature male player characters, the adaptations even favor them to my count?

mind, that hasn't stopped the community from doing everything possible to unperson them, including just making dude versions of Gudako, which is really goddamn funny

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I mean Go and Extra do feature male player characters, the adaptations even favor them to my count?

mind, that hasn't stopped the community from doing everything possible to unperson them, including just making dude versions of Gudako, which is really goddamn funny

Well, "less attached" in that you can choose to have a female protagonist, rather than a dude being mandatory, and there's virtually no change in how female / male Servants interact with the protagonist.

And when it comes to adaptations, I prefer to think of the protagonist of either the EXTRA anime or First Order instead be "Insert your protagonist here", since that's how it should be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

the adaptations favor them because they are lame, the games themsevles seem to pretty heavily favor the female protag (see: f/go defaulting to female)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

for real tho nasu's always had an interest in non-standard depictions of sexuality and gender. kara no kyoukai is really weird and ??? about it but it's also pretty much explicitly about ryougi's gender identity, tsukihime has akiha and kohaku loving and despite there being a plot reason for it i dont think akiha needed to get her blood from kohaku's fine titties, f/sn is basically filled with it. he hasnt really shied away from it in any place. enkidu and gilgamesh have a pretty explicitly loving relationship, and ccc especially is pretty much about how and why people might want to gently caress and the various combinations in which they'd want to gently caress, and what those desires to gently caress say about us as human beings.

nasu, honestly, is at his best when he's writing weird psychoanalytical comedy about sex, as opposed to horror or action. and i like his horror and action.

I normally agree with a lot of things you post but we both know that there was no alternative for akihas blood supply.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Plus she can't go bloodsucking on dudes, that'd be like cheating on Shiki.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was about to ask whether the Nasuverse had any gay/bi dudes that receive more focus than being 1% of the cast of Grand Order but then I remembered Waver and Rider's extreme gayness in Zero

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just assume every single person in the nasuverse is bi

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Blockhouse posted:

I just assume every single person in the nasuverse is bi

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sylphid posted:

I think part of it is his financial success has allowed him to indulge a lot more, and discuss more non-traditional gender identity / sexual orientations that he has more interest in. He was talked into Shirou by Takeuchi saying a male protagonist would be more marketable, but now that he has hit the big time, he has a lot more room to talk about what he wants as a writer. I don't think it's a coincidence he's gradually become less attached to the standard male protagonist, between Grand Order and the EXTRA series.

maybe gender identity is what started it all... makes u think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I was about to ask whether the Nasuverse had any gay/bi dudes that receive more focus than being 1% of the cast of Grand Order but then I remembered Waver and Rider's extreme gayness in Zero
id say gilgamesh and shirou get a lot of focus, yes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

there's a trillion yaoi of every dude in Zero

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

there's a trillion yaoi of every dude in Zero
kotomine and gilgamesh totally spent half that show getting drunk and loving

edit: also the entire timespan between f/z and f/sn, they spent that time getting drunk and loving

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

I normally agree with a lot of things you post but we both know that there was no alternative for akihas blood supply.

also she could have sucked on kohaku's neck is what i meant. she literally chomps on kohaku's boobs. there are places on a woman's body that have blood besides the boobs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gil/Tokiomi, Gil/Kirei, Kirei/Kiritsugu, Kayneth/Diarmuid, Kariya/Tokiomi, the possibilities are endless.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

also she could have sucked on kohaku's neck is what i meant. she literally chomps on kohaku's boobs. there are places on a woman's body that have blood besides the boobs.

i think namtab understands that 'technically', "alternatives" to baps "'exist'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Plutonis posted:

Gil/Tokiomi, Gil/Kirei, Kirei/Kiritsugu, Kayneth/Diarmuid, Kariya/Tokiomi, the possibilities are endless.

I'm pretty sure the only thing Gil ever felt towards Tokiomi is thinly-veiled contempt and disgust. And he drops it quickly. The 'veiled' part, that is.