Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
beaten with the eye of sauron. (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The platform is called "Threadripper" I expected nothing less badass.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It should have the "Rip and tear your threads" Doom comic edit right on the box.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Yes nice, but when can I have one?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That packaging is only cool if you open it by depressing a hidden catch which causes the processor to rip and tear through the front window

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yes nice, but when can I have one?

August 10th

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Uh the box is a lot bigger than what I expected. It really does look like a portable color TV set from the seventies.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Probably the AIO takes a ton of room from the box. Why else they would make such a huge box?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That has to be a publicity piece to send to the reviewer. There's no way they're actually going to sell that on shelves.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I could see that being at Best Buy and actually working to drive sales.

eames
May 9, 2009

Arivia posted:

That has to be a publicity piece to send to the reviewer. There's no way they're actually going to sell that on shelves.

AMD on Facebook: "this is our retail box, in stores early August!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Open the pod bay doors, HAL

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eames posted:

AMD on Facebook: "this is our retail box, in stores early August!"

Jesus christ.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ihmemies posted:

Probably the AIO takes a ton of room from the box.

Good point.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I feel like I'm the only one who unironically loves this packaging because like the entire Zen lineup it's totally over the top.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NewFatMike posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who unironically loves this packaging because like the entire Zen lineup it's totally over the top.

Yep. I like it. Screw it, AMD is going for an over-the-top vaguely retro marketing feel, and I'm for it. If they have a great product, that's all that matters.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 24, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
We really aren't that far removed from GPUs with a frog wearing medieval armor on the box: https://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9274915/graphics-card-boxes-weird-art

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Cool, that is pretty quick. Can't wait!

Edit: it will do ECC right?

drat, better start saving if the prices of Mobo's are an indication.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 24, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Twerk from Home posted:

We really aren't that far removed from GPUs with a frog wearing medieval armor on the box: https://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9274915/graphics-card-boxes-weird-art

Ahem. It's a mech suit.

Sound cards too I guess and mobos had weird box art. Pretty much anything gamer. Gamer culture is so tacky but I'm not sure how it got that way. I just remember it was always like that except the 3Dfx VooDoo boxes weren't as tacky. I blame nvidia and ATI.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I hope HP will have a Z series workstation with a Thread Ripper soon, I don't mind building my own but I do like the peace and quiet of my Mac Pro, and if the other Zseries are an indication they are about the same.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 24, 2017

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
Anyone know if Ryzen 3 is still releasing on the 27th? I'm looking at building a starter rig for my kids.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Is it just a 120mm AIO liquid cooler being packed in? I thought 120s were price/performance comparable to large heatsinks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

STH has a big article on memory bandwidth/latencies on Epyc.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-infinity-fabric-latency-ddr4-2400-v-2666-a-snapshot/

Pretty much as we expected. Latency spikes across NUMA zones are not ideal, but actually better than i was expecting honestly.

Bandwidth shows pretty clearly that the game for Epyc (and Threadripper to a lesser extent) will be making sure that the OS and scheduler stash the right stuff in the right ram bank, because you really don't want to be reaching across IF:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

that is an epyc shirt, dr. su. made by nike

also i can't wait for the first video of someone turning this box on

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I can't wait for the first project build of an ITX system in the Threadripper box

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
With a Threadripper processor. Somehow.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Someone's going to turn that box into an eGPU enclosure.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I hope HP will have a Z series workstation with a Thread Ripper soon, I don't mind building my own but I do like the peace and quiet of my Mac Pro, and if the other Zseries are an indication they are about the same.

For single socket, I'd love to get a SFF workstation class machine. For dual socket which I'll probably never afford new, Z8 series chassis would be super neat.

e: Any APU plans for these new CPUs?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shaocaholica posted:

For single socket, I'd love to get a SFF workstation class machine. For dual socket which I'll probably never afford new, Z8 series chassis would be super neat.

e: Any APU plans for these new CPUs?

Raven Ridge is the codename, but I haven't kept up with the release schedule.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I mean for (U)SFF, I'd rather not deal with a low profile GPU and just have the GPU on die.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Realistically, AMD should have marketing ramp-up on APUs right now, in order to get them into the Fall 2017 Back-To-School launch window.

That we haven't heard a peep about them so far probably means we won't see them until December holiday, or January at CES.

There's a *chance*, since OEMs were showing off AMD-based hardware (or hardware-liked mockups) at the Zen launch, some in laptop form-factor, but I wouldn't count on APUs. Maybe AMD + NVIDIA.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 24, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Errrrrrr, is it me or is that not a lot of memory bandwidth? I gotta run whatever they're using, but I think the last time I ran AIDA64, I had like 50GB/s on quad channel DDR4-2400? Hope I'm mistaken.

--edit:
OK, not 50GB/s, but according to the Intel tool they've also used, I have at least 24GB/s (there's crap running in background, no idea how that influences things). Having it all drop to 8GB/s hopping across the fabric is a little sobering.

quote:

Measuring Peak Memory Bandwidths for the system
Bandwidths are in MB/sec (1 MB/sec = 1,000,000 Bytes/sec)
Using all the threads from each core if Hyper-threading is enabled
Using traffic with the following read-write ratios
ALL Reads : 24546.3
3:1 Reads-Writes : 30350.7
2:1 Reads-Writes : 31926.0
1:1 Reads-Writes : 32419.9
Stream-triad like: 29205.1

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 24, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Errrrrrr, is it me or is that not a lot of memory bandwidth? I gotta run whatever they're using, but I think the last time I ran AIDA64, I had like 50GB/s on quad channel DDR4-2400? Hope I'm mistaken.

It looks like Intel has better memory controllers. This may or may not matter based on your workload. I'm seeing about 40GB/s per socket for Intel quad channel on DDR4-2133.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oooooh wait, green/yellow and grey/blue are different sockets? In that case, woohoo!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oooooh wait, green/yellow and grey/blue are different sockets? In that case, woohoo!

Yea, yellow is stuff in the local memory of that die, green is other dies in that socket, blue is the "partner pair" die in the other socket, grey are the other dies in the other socket.

So TR/1 socket Epyc won't have those bigger hits (only yellow and green). And theoretically, a NUMA aware OS and a good scheduler will keep stuff local to avoid the blue/grey hits.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Looking at that chart again, total memory bandwidth should be much greater than the individual memory bandwidth available to any given MCM, right? Basically each die has its own dual-channel memory controller, for 8 channels total per socket, but a single thread or core will never get as much total bandwidth as all of them working in parallel?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Realistically, AMD should have marketing ramp-up on APUs right now, in order to get them into the Fall 2017 Back-To-School launch window.

That we haven't heard a peep about them so far probably means we won't see them until December holiday, or January at CES.

There's a *chance*, since OEMs were showing off AMD-based hardware (or hardware-liked mockups) at the Zen launch, some in laptop form-factor, but I wouldn't count on APUs. Maybe AMD + NVIDIA.

I was assuming that they wanted to launch them alongside with Vega, but with how much that has been delayed :iiam:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AMD needs to acquire Tesla to get Keller back and land a design win for their AI ambitions. Leverage, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Using a $15 box screams to me that AMD leaving money on the table.