Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's gonna be cool if/when Dinklage gets to actually do something this season. For such a fan favourite the last exciting Tyrion moment was like two seasons ago. I hope the Rock looks cool, it's got my favourite description of all the famous castles.
Remember how Tyrion was Master of Poops at Casterly Rock? Tyrion's biggest scene will be him telling Dany about the brilliant plan he made for Greyworm to infiltrate it through the latrines. The only thing we see of Casterly Rock is the Unsullied fighting in narrow dank tunnels with their long spears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Yeah but she's the only one who grew up a Targ and with that idea maybe normalized. Jon isn't going to find out he's a Targ and then all of a sudden be like "ok cool that means incest is chill sign me up!"

He may not have a choice.

My opinion is Jon and Dany getting married is where this narrative has been heading all along and it's gonna happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's a Song of Ice and Fire of course it's going to happen.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think it's completely absurd to read the scene as Arya realizing that the person going back to her family isn't who she is anymore. Though it'll probably confuse a lot of people if she changes her mind again and goes back south without a really silly "My wolf convinced me that I'm an instrument of vengeance now, not a Stark" scene.

I saw the scene as Arya seeing her dire wolf, and realizing that Nymeria is her once pet wolf, with a pack of her own, so she couldn't go back to being the same sweet puppy that was learning to grab gloves for Arya. It was a hearkening back to the season 1 scene with her and Ned, where Ned is talking to her about being a lady, and Arya says "That's for Sansa, not for me."

I also felt that Arya realizes she is like her wolf....grown up in many ways but she still needs a pack....a family. She can't BE a lone wolf... she needs a pack to be what she is...a wolf of the North. I see this as her continuing on to meet up with her "pack", her family, in Winterfell. She's been a lone wolf too long, and needs her family again, like Nymeria did with the other wolves. yes she has grown up and learned the ways of the FM, and isn't the tomboyish little sister that left Winterfell with Ned and family. But, she still needs her family. A wolf needs a pack.

Arya will still be an assassin, but she will have the strength of her pack behind her. She made the choice at the Crossroads to go home, and seeing Nymeria I think made that so much more imperative to her..

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ice is Bronne's wit and fire is the herpes he gets from Dorne girl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice is a sword and will marry Thoros' sword

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I have to join the camp in that Theon actually made the right call.

If he had rushed forward there's no way he'd not just slit her throat. It was unwinnable. I don't know if his fearful glances were misdirection or serious but simply jumping off the edge was really her best chance.

gently caress even if he pulled off a miracle and saved her, where the hell were they going to go?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

He may not have a choice.

My opinion is Jon and Dany getting married is where this narrative has been heading all along and it's gonna happen.
I agree it seems inevitable, I'm just wondering how it goes down and how Jon will come to terms with it. Or maybe the show just doesn't care.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bawfuls posted:

I agree it seems inevitable, I'm just wondering how it goes down and how Jon will come to terms with it. Or maybe the show just doesn't care.

Yes, how would Jon come to terms with a powerful and hot wife and a ton of new armies and probably his very own dragon?

The humanity

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Royals marrying close-blooded other royals isn't just in the book, it's real life and caused hemophilia and the Hapsburg Jaw and don't loving post that picture of Charles II we've all seen it.

I don't know that aunt ever married nephew irl but it's been close. No one cared.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yes, how would Jon come to terms with a powerful and hot wife and a ton of new armies and probably his very own dragon?

The humanity
I bet the miserable oval office still wouldn't crack a smile.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So is Euron gonna suddenly puke blood and die at the beginning of next episode? Isn't it a pretty fast-acting poison that the Dornish always make an explicitly on-camera point to douse their weapons in? Surely they don't "only" do that right before formal duels, just to be assholes and defeat the purpose of the duel system?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"Here put on this wig and tell me how little I know"

"What?"

"JUST DO IT"

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So is Euron gonna suddenly puke blood and die at the beginning of next episode? Isn't it a pretty fast-acting poison that the Dornish always make an explicitly on-camera point to douse their weapons in? Surely they don't "only" do that right before formal duels, just to be assholes and defeat the purpose of the duel system?

They do it before formal battles; they don't just leave their weapons sitting in buckets of poison all the time on the off chance somebody needs stabbing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

zoux posted:

Royals marrying close-blooded other royals isn't just in the book, it's real life and caused hemophilia and the Hapsburg Jaw and don't loving post that picture of Charles II we've all seen it.

I don't know that aunt ever married nephew irl but it's been close. No one cared.

Aunts may not have married nephews, but uncles married nieces for sure. Charles II had several such pairings in his family tree/web.

Edit: apparently his mother was his father's niece. Yuck!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 24, 2017

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

So we're more or less confirmed now that Euron is basically just Ramsey 2.0, up to and including the bullshit plot armor.

I can't believe there are people out there rooting for the child killer and her bad pussies, and also the goddamned greyjoys.

They should've killed all of them this episode.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Theon's arc is btw don't sell out your friends to your rear end in a top hat dad.

You're welcome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Theon was right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

The way armies work in GoT has never made a whole lot of sense to me. In Dorne, the Sand Snakes assassinated Prince Dr Bashir and took over, I guess, and this gave them command of the Dornish houses... somehow. Off-camera, possibly, we're supposed to assume that the Dornish weren't happy with his rule and would have liked Oberyn in charge and so they jumped on board when his lover killed the prince and took over? I'm not sure.

Similarly, I've never quite understood how Roose Bolton ended up consolidating the armies of the North after the Red Wedding. Even if people didn't know he had a hand in it, the other houses were all fired up to fight the Lannisters and support the King in the North but now that Rob is dead well we'll just go ahead and bend the knee to the same King we were in open revolt against a week ago and fight his enemies for this guy who was mysteriously not murdered along with all the other people (including our own family members) at the Twins.

Are you saying you'd like a season of Dornish politics showing those ladies consolidating their power? It kind of seems like maybe there was a plan for more Dorne last season but they backed off after seeing how Season 5 turned out/was received.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

oldskool posted:

They do it before formal battles; they don't just leave their weapons sitting in buckets of poison all the time on the off chance somebody needs stabbing.

They are in a state of war, though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

business hammocks posted:

Are you saying you'd like a season of Dornish politics showing those ladies consolidating their power? It kind of seems like maybe there was a plan for more Dorne last season but they backed off after seeing how Season 5 turned out/was received.

The accountants said you fucks are not spending all Summer drunk in Spain again, snow scenes bitches.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Nah, they were on a booze cruise.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

oldskool posted:

If Euron was poisoned, people would complain about the Sand Snakes keeping their weapons poisoned at all times for some reason.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

WarState

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can believe they didn't have time to poison up their weapons before the ambush, that stuff probably dries out so you'd need to keep it in a bottle most of the time and apply it right before a fight.

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I have to join the camp in that Theon actually made the right call.

If he had rushed forward there's no way he'd not just slit her throat. It was unwinnable. I don't know if his fearful glances were misdirection or serious but simply jumping off the edge was really her best chance.

gently caress even if he pulled off a miracle and saved her, where the hell were they going to go?

Whoever said a couple pages back they should've had him with a bow to recreate the time he saved Bran by shooting a wildling is right, even if they had to make some awkward mess of it due to his missing fingers. It would've at least felt like something he could've been able to do, Euron baiting him to take the shot and then Theon backing down. As-is it's not clear what Euron even wanted him to do. Drop his sword and surrender?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

Similarly, I've never quite understood how Roose Bolton ended up consolidating the armies of the North after the Red Wedding. Even if people didn't know he had a hand in it, the other houses were all fired up to fight the Lannisters and support the King in the North but now that Rob is dead well we'll just go ahead and bend the knee to the same King we were in open revolt against a week ago and fight his enemies for this guy who was mysteriously not murdered along with all the other people (including our own family members) at the Twins.
The execution of Lord Karstark drove a fracture through the North that Roose exploited. Half of Robb's bannermen had marched back North before the Red Wedding AFAIK, those that stayed either died with him or betrayed him.

So any loyal houses were left divided and leaderless, and the Boltons were already more powerful than any of them individually. Also unlike Dorne we did get to see them consolidating their power, Ramsay was flaying alive any fucker who wouldn't bend the knee.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Roose never consolidated the armies of the North. He had plans to, then Ramsay killed him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did Greatjon die at the Red Wedding? His dumb kid gets punked by Tormund but what happened to dad? He seems like a casualty of the great season 3 disappearing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

He wasn't in Season 2 either. Died in one of Robb's off-screen battles between seasons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How dumb do you have to be to go "oh Theon's arc was a waste" did you miss that he's totally gonna sneak onto that boat and murder the gently caress out of EVVVERRRRYYYYOOONNNNNEEEEE? All that twitching he did before he bolted was his PTSD kicking him into Manchurian Candidate Murder God mode. Jeez, even I can see this coming a mile away.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zoux posted:

Pretty sure they were going to pick them up, but Dorne's at least is going to be off the table if their sovereign is being held in King's Landing.

lmao what loving soverign

There's no way Illyria just took over complete wholesale control of Dorne. It should be in civil war right now.

NorgLyle posted:

The way armies work in GoT has never made a whole lot of sense to me. In Dorne, the Sand Snakes assassinated Prince Dr Bashir and took over, I guess, and this gave them command of the Dornish houses... somehow. Off-camera, possibly, we're supposed to assume that the Dornish weren't happy with his rule and would have liked Oberyn in charge and so they jumped on board when his lover killed the prince and took over? I'm not sure.

It makes tons of sense in A Song of Ice and Fire (I know this isn't the spoil thread, sorry, but we're past the books)

But the show cocked it up COMPLETELY. Dorne literally makes no sense as the show has presented it. It shouldn't happen.

Roose makes more sense, he didn't really consolidate them. The Umbers and the Karstarks and stuff weren't totally loyal to him yet, remember, they later swear to Ramsay. So it was more Roose was working on that and nobody else was putting up major competition yet. Nobody bent the knee to Roose, except some tiny houses that knew he could slaughter them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 24, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phi230 posted:

And Maggy The Frog

And Quaithe

And the House of The Undying

And Bran

And Wargs

And Bloodraven

House of the undying didn't really have magic. Nor did Quaithe. Or Maggy. Some vague vision isn't magic. That's just being a prophet or a seer (and probably bullshit).

Bran, the wargs, and bloodraven are all the same thing. That is 1 major source of magic in GOT but its basically THE only one.

Magic died out on purpose when the dragons went away. Now that dragons are back its starting to come back but its not really back back. This is a major theme you guys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Bran, the wargs, and bloodraven are all the same thing. That is 1 major source of magic in GOT but its basically THE only one.

Shadow demon babies and people coming back from the dead isn't magic?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

Shadow demon babies and people coming back from the dead isn't magic?

Yeah lord of light stuff counts too (although maybe arguably miracles instead, but nah I ain't about to say that) but he didn't include those in the post so I kinda overlooked them.

The shadow baby was the most magic thing we've ever seen in the show period, for sure.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Zaphod42 posted:

House of the undying didn't really have magic. Nor did Quaithe. Or Maggy. Some vague vision isn't magic. That's just being a prophet or a seer (and probably bullshit).

Magic died out on purpose when the dragons went away. Now that dragons are back its starting to come back but its not really back back. This is a major theme you guys.

you can stop right now because the thread is convinced we're dealing with lotr levels of magic and you're not going to change their mind

in a soothing voice: it's ok thread, martin's books are basically a dnd campaign with even more tits, there's plenty of magic for everyone

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kawabata posted:

you can stop right now because the thread is convinced we're dealing with lotr level of magic and you're not going to change their mind

in a soothing voice: it's ok thread, martin's books are basically lotr with tits, there's plenty of magic for everyone

Even LOTR didn't really have that much magic when you think about it. The most magical poo poo Gandalf ever did was light some pinecones on fire and I've seen arguments that he really just used sleight of hand and technology that the hobbits didn't understand, like chemistry. The Jackson films kinda played up the wizard angle more than the books did.
That said the Silmarillion makes clear he is Maiar/Istari and basically an angel-god so :shrug:

Its stuff like Warcraft where magic is constantly doing everything because they were too busy with magic to invent steam or whatever that stuff gets really crazy. Or stuff like Harry Potter where there's basically zero limits on magic whatsoever. So you have people casting fireball spells every day.

By comparison both GOT and LOTR are very low on magic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can't wait for Davos to meet the new red priestess at Dragonstone.

I'm sure it'll go well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Hey, they can't kill her. She kept to the terms of her exile.

I really thought she was gonna take off her glamour and go back to Winterfell as Old Lady Mel.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zaphod42 posted:

lmao what loving soverign

There's no way Illyria just took over complete wholesale control of Dorne. It should be in civil war right now.

It makes tons of sense in A Song of Ice and Fire (I know this isn't the spoil thread, sorry, but we're past the books)

But the show cocked it up COMPLETELY. Dorne literally makes no sense as the show has presented it. It shouldn't happen.

Roose makes more sense, he didn't really consolidate them. The Umbers and the Karstarks and stuff weren't totally loyal to him yet, remember, they later swear to Ramsay. So it was more Roose was working on that and nobody else was putting up major competition yet. Nobody bent the knee to Roose, except some tiny houses that knew he could slaughter them.

One thing about GRRM is that I've always felt that things happened believably. I'd sacrifice some of that for more than one book a decade but oh well.

And while Book!Dorne was better than Show!Dorne, that should in no way be taken as praise for Book!Dorne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I actually yelled OH poo poo when Nymeria came out. Not sure how this is going to pan out. I guess there's the obvious "Arya fucks up and Nymeria and her pups save the day."

Thought that was a great episode. Greyjoy battle owned, despite the ridiculously shaky camera shots. Euron and his ship both own.

• Locked thread