Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Last I heard, the magic baby and the dog both seperately appeared for a season or two then suddenly stopped appearing in episodes never to be mentioned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Last I heard, the magic baby and the dog both seperately appeared for a season or two then suddenly stopped appearing in episodes never to be mentioned again.

It's gone well past jumping the shark and nuking the fridge. What's the level beyond that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Xelkelvos posted:

It's gone well past jumping the shark and nuking the fridge. What's the level beyond that?

"Wait, that still exists?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
There's an abortion joke here. Also reminder, the baby was the result of male prego.

Weird how the two main stream examples of male prego I know is a live action movie from the 90s/80s and a cartoon.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Guy Mann posted:

I have to admit, I am a little wary about the new Hey Arnold movie because a big part of the show was its almost Springfield-esque expanded cast of characters and the relatively grounded urban setting and going on a jungle adventure seems like it gets rid of both of those. Also a running theme of the show was the way that a lot of the families were non-traditional and even dysfunctional (the whole subplot of Helga's mom being an alcoholic went completely over my head as a kid) yet still loved and cared for each other, and Arnold's parents being alive is kind of a slap in the face to that. It would be like if they made a movie where Grandpa won the lottery and they moved out of their lovely tenement with the one bathroom and went to Los Angeles or something.

To be fair, it was always made as something that would just be a movie thing and would let Arnold have some closure with his parents. Its not moving all the cast to a fictional south American country permanently, just letting Arnold close the books on the parents he never knew and I can live with a football head as nice as him getting something good like that. I don't even think they they intially planned that as the end of the show, just to build up from the relative success of Hey Arnold, but then, well, corporate Nickelodeon axed it and here we are.

I'm not sure which I'm more cautiously optimistic for as it's weird seeing them both back after 25 or so years. Rocko's going to just be straight in the 21st century while in Arnold's time its just been a year, yet some characters are probably going to be talking about hashtags and selfies in the mid to late 1990s. Well its just a film so at least it doesn't have to worry about keeping up so much momentum as Samurai Jack did, and if these fail there is always Duck Tales 2017 to look forward to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The main thing that I'm worried about is will Rocko be able to keep up with the 2010s' insanity? Your presidents a lovely old-money venture capitalist after all, that's as capitalist as things get. Rocko's just going to be a news show now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

To be fair, it was always made as something that would just be a movie thing and would let Arnold have some closure with his parents. Its not moving all the cast to a fictional south American country permanently, just letting Arnold close the books on the parents he never knew and I can live with a football head as nice as him getting something good like that. I don't even think they they intially planned that as the end of the show, just to build up from the relative success of Hey Arnold, but then, well, corporate Nickelodeon axed it and here we are.

I'm not sure which I'm more cautiously optimistic for as it's weird seeing them both back after 25 or so years. Rocko's going to just be straight in the 21st century while in Arnold's time its just been a year, yet some characters are probably going to be talking about hashtags and selfies in the mid to late 1990s. Well its just a film so at least it doesn't have to worry about keeping up so much momentum as Samurai Jack did, and if these fail there is always Duck Tales 2017 to look forward to.

That clip posted a while back had one of the girls taking selfies on a smart phone.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I forget, did they ever say what Arnold's last name was?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mraagvpeine posted:

Technically yes and no, onscreen it's never directly stated to be his last name, but Grandpa says it all the time; Shortman

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Mraagvpeine posted:

I believe there is at least one interview out there where the creator said that it was Shortman

EDIT: Beaten like Helga's mom

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dangerous Person posted:

I believe there is at least one interview out there where the creator said that it was Shortman

EDIT: Beaten like Helga's mom

The relationship between Helga's parents never came off as abusive to me, definitely neglectful though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That mass shooter twink who made a bunch of Danny Phantom fan cartoons and left videos about how he wanted to die so he could be a girl ghost was already way more interesting a capstone on Danny Phantom than anything TV could make.

Crabtree posted:

The thing that's tempering my excitement for Rocko is that all the same people made Camp Lazlo and that show was like white bread coated in teflon.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

drrockso20 posted:

The relationship between Helga's parents never came off as abusive to me, definitely neglectful though

Ever since I realized that Helga's mom was an alcoholic I just assume the worst about that family

Guy Mann posted:

That mass shooter twink who made a bunch of Danny Phantom fan cartoons and left videos about how he wanted to die so he could be a girl ghost was already way more interesting a capstone on Danny Phantom than anything TV could make.

Now this I need to see

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dangerous Person posted:

Now this I need to see

All the original links to his cartoons are broken because YouTube took them down posthumously as a violation of their ToS, but you can still find them if you poke around.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/06/12/pennsylvania-supermarket-shooter-made-disturbing-videos-predicting-his-murder-spree/

quote:

According to Heat Street, Stair claimed to be transgendered, allegedly discovering that he was a girl after seeing the Ember character from Danny Phantom. Stair calls the Ember character his “first crush,” and his “final demise.”

“I’ve always been a girl that I wish I could’ve told you from day one. I didn’t realize that until I discovered Ember. She was what brought that out in me. I didn’t just wake up one day and be like ‘oh I’m a girl, great.’ Ember’s what brought that out in me. I wanted to look like her, I wanted to dress like her, I wanted to be her. That was in like 10th grade. She was my first crush and she ultimately was my final demise.”

Heat Street reported that Stair said he didn’t believe in a God, but he did believe in a “goddess.” Stair reportedly considered this goddess to be the Ember character.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Guy Mann posted:

The thing that's tempering my excitement for Rocko is that all the same people made Camp Lazlo and that show was like white bread coated in teflon.

granted Lazlo itself was a mix of classic spongebob people, PPG/Dexter's Lab people, and future Flapjack people (with some overlap between the groups)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so, after watching the first episode of Welcome to the Wayne, I'm declaring myself "willing to watch a second episode."

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so, after watching the first episode of Welcome to the Wayne, I'm declaring myself "willing to watch a second episode."

Same. The animation is on the cheap side and it's doing that thing I hate where they start on what is effectively episode 2 but it's fairly watchable. Seems worth giving a shot.

Also, that one kid is totally white Gene Belcher. Just saying.

Edit: Rewatching the trailer it looks like they definitely made an episode where they give everything a proper introduction. Not sure if it's an unaired pilot or a future episode that will flash back to Ansi moving in. Either way I still hate that the show is doing things this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRb1AOxMBK8

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 25, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
apparently it started out as 4 webshorts on Nick's website

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

For me it basically comes down to whether all the craziness going on actually has some kind of vaguely satisfying explanation for:

a) all the supernatural stuff (or at the very least a huge cryptid population)
b) all the super-advanced machinery
c) why all this stuff is part of an apparently normal apartment building in an apparently normal city

or whether it's all just random wackness being thrown at the wall.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Also, that one kid is totally white Gene Belcher. Just saying.

Wait what? I haven't seen Bob's Burgers in a while, but isn't he white? Am I missing something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're kinda vague about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand Brittain posted:

For me it basically comes down to whether all the craziness going on actually has some kind of vaguely satisfying explanation for:

a) all the supernatural stuff (or at the very least a huge cryptid population)
b) all the super-advanced machinery
c) why all this stuff is part of an apparently normal apartment building in an apparently normal city

or whether it's all just random wackness being thrown at the wall.

Explaining things is overrated. Just acknowledge that weird poo poo is out there and nobody really knows why, unless you have some REALLY good ideas.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ahaha Didn't expect the "Oli even tips your delivery guy so they don't get mad at you." and "A delivery surcharge to me IS the tip." lines with the one black guy in Welcome to the Wayne. :v:

Black people don't tip stereotype just subtly dropped.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xelkelvos posted:

nuking the fridge

I'm always amused that this was the thing that got people up in arms, when it's a full two movies after he survived jumping out of a plane thousands of feet in the air on an inflatable raft.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That wasnt in goofy CGI though

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

That wasnt in goofy CGI though

Good thing we had practical effects to make it all the more believable that a man can survive a fall with a life raft.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm pretty sure most people don't respect Temple of Doom, either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What about the time he hitched a ride on the outside of a submarine?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Temple of Doom was legitimately a lot more fun than Crystal Skull.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ramos posted:

Good thing we had practical effects to make it all the more believable that a man can survive a fall with a life raft.
Practical effects are easier to swallow.

Imagine the rolling boulder scene with bad cgi. It'd be a shitshow.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Practical effects are easier to swallow.

Imagine the rolling boulder scene with bad cgi. It'd be a shitshow.

I refuse to believe you're young and/or nostalgic enough to have never seen how bad miniatures effects can get.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? I haven't seen Bob's Burgers in a while, but isn't he white? Am I missing something?

I think Bob remarks at some point that his family is "swarthy" but that really just means that they're slightly tinted and have dark hair, so I don't know. I always thought they were of European descent (white).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Madurai posted:

I refuse to believe you're young and/or nostalgic enough to have never seen how bad miniatures effects can get.

It's like listening to vinyl, all the objective data in the world means nothing because it just feels better in an unidentifiable but totally objective way that is definitely not just nostalgia.

Also like audiophiles it doesn't actually stand up to any kind of double-blind testing, plenty of practical effects evangelists complain about "bad CGI" like BB-8 in Star Wars or the monster in Stranger Things that are actually totally practical effects while failing to notice the vast amounts of subtle and unobtrusive CGI that even grounded and realistic films are full of.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FELD1 posted:

I think Bob remarks at some point that his family is "swarthy" but that really just means that they're slightly tinted and have dark hair, so I don't know. I always thought they were of European descent (white).

"Swarthy" complexions are usually Mediterranean, which includes Spanish, Italian, and Greek descendants as well as Turks and Arabs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

raditts posted:

I'm always amused that this was the thing that got people up in arms, when it's a full two movies after he survived jumping out of a plane thousands of feet in the air on an inflatable raft.

I mean, going beyond the CGI vs practical debate, I think the key difference is A) as mentioned, nobody really remembers Temple of Doom (At least compared to Raiders and The Last Crusade, and B) the inflatable raft was silly, but it at least seemed plausible, compared to fridge scene which was operating on literal cartoon physics.

Also, if anyone's interested, a recording of the SDCC panel for Star vs the Forces of Evil and Milo Murphy's Law has gotten out, with surprisingly decent audio and visual quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYEGsbV0nZ0

Edit: Ducktales, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZoKe3vHfOA

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 26, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Swarthy" complexions are usually Mediterranean, which includes Spanish, Italian, and Greek descendants as well as Turks and Arabs.

I've always assumed they were some kind of non-specific Greek or Italian descent. Or whatever heritage "Belcher" is

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

I've always assumed they were some kind of non-specific Greek or Italian descent. Or whatever heritage "Belcher" is

Yeah, this. I apologize if I was wrong though?

(That kid is still totally Gene Belcer though)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently what's likely the last episode of Fairly Oddparents will be airing tonight on Nicktoons.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently what's likely the last episode of Fairly Oddparents will be airing tonight on Nicktoons.

I don't believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Waffleman_ posted:

The last episode of Fairly Oddparents will be airing tonight

The last episode... before we announce our renewal for 5 new seasons!