Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bicyclops posted:

Wow, I had convinced myself that Let's Kill Hitler was a mostly okay episode with a few groanworthy moments, but it is actually terrible almost all the way through, except for when Rory punches Hitler, or that other Nazi, in the mouth. It's New Earth levels of bad.

I remember River's little speech about gay Jewish weddings or whatever being moderately funny. And Rory socking Hitler then shoving him in a cupboard papers over a lot of ills, especially now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The concept of River Song is kind of cool. They meet each other backwards in time or whatever. But then it is handled really badly. The impossible astronaut couple of episodes are really cool but ruined by the river song plot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

Why do I imagine Eleven's ideal wife would be the TARDIS wearing a fez?

Eleven: Meet Idris, she's the TARDIS!
Amy: Did you make a wish. No seriously... did you wish REALLY HARD?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I remember River's little speech about gay Jewish weddings or whatever being moderately funny. And Rory socking Hitler then shoving him in a cupboard papers over a lot of ills, especially now.

Yeah, he also punches another Nazi later, but hoo boy, the rest of it. The pacing, the way the whole thing feels like unrepentant fan fiction, the cheesiest of "I have nothing to wear!" lines... Alex Kingston just can't work with the material she's given, and she's usually pretty good. Even Matt Smith seems to get tired of the half an hour he's supposed to be dying. It's all the forced whimsy and the maudlin tuxedo posturing. It makes Bernice Summerfield and Iris Wildthyme look understated. I think the review thread had convinced me it wasn't that bad, but it is, in fact, just awful.

Jerusalem posted:

Like this is the same kind of joke, in a lot of ways, as the ones they keep trying to make in Let's Kill Hitler, but it's just a great laugh line. Let's Kill Hitler is like the perfect example of how a season can sort of play all of the notes from its good episodes but play all of them sour.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 25, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

howe_sam posted:

"Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought "Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Führer." Who's with me?"

River has her moments, but the bad usually overshadow the good

The closer she is to dying, the better off she feels as a character, meaning The Husbands of River Song and the library two-parter are arguably her best outings

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 25, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Amy and Rory were just the best.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Let's Kill Hitler is rightly hated, but I do have a soft spot for:

Amy: Can you ride a motorbike?
Rory: I expect so... it's just that kind of day :shrug:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Is Amy and Rory the only two to be a married couple during their companionship with the Doctor? Ian and Barbara, Ben and Polly end up married but that's after they left the Doctor. I guess River counted too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

toanoradian posted:

Is Amy and Rory the only two to be a married couple during their companionship with the Doctor? Ian and Barbara, Ben and Polly end up married but that's after they left the Doctor. I guess River counted too.

Yates and Benton

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

You know, if we hadn't already had the Jodie Whittaker announcement, I would have loved to see Suranne Jones as Thirteen.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
She could come back, have your good old mind-switcheroo and make her the Doctor for one episode while Jodie behaves as if she's the TARDIS

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Pre-production concepts from Millennium Effects for the new Mondasian Cybermen:

Oh, they're beautiful. Fantastic.

Really, I've got to watch The Doctor's Wife again at some point. Everyone seems to love it but it never clicked with me at the time. Not sure why, honestly. Although it click did with my sister, who happened to see it incidentally, which I found interesting as she's not interested in Doctor Who at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bits of The Doctor's Wife (pretty much all the Doctor/TARDIS conversations) just make me cry happy tears because they're so wonderfully done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed "The Doctor's Wife", but it is a shame Gaiman's second episode turned out like it did (i.e. not very good).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:unsmith:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

Amy, Rory and the Dream Lord were amazing. God I loved that episode.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
While I like that pre-pro Mondasian design in theory, I think it's better that they didn't stick to it. The fact we got the 'real deal' and that they worked up to that both let them do some more interesting things with the pre-conversion Patient designs (that creepy white mask especially) to try to make a very dated costume design impactful, while also giving it sort of a pedigree and a clear respect for the original series. It's also a lot better for low-key fear, the Mondasian Cybermen are less overtly terrifying and more just unnerving and wrong, that pre-production look kinda leaves too little to the imagination face-wise.

Plus, like... it sort of reminds me of the hilariously bad pre-production designs for the Daleks in the Paul McGann reboot that never got off the ground. The ones that look like Quake enemies or something. It feels like it's trying too hard.

EDIT: I would like to kindly request we stop talking about the Eleven/Amy seasons, because now my colossal crush on Karen Gillan is kicking in again and I want to watch every single episode with her in it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Stabbatical posted:

Really, I've got to watch The Doctor's Wife again at some point. Everyone seems to love it but it never clicked with me at the time. Not sure why, honestly. Although it click did with my sister, who happened to see it incidentally, which I found interesting as she's not interested in Doctor Who at all.
The thing about The Doctor's Wife is that makes several previous scenes featuring the TARDIS that much more heartbreaking

Ya know, like when it died crossing universes in Series 2 or the time Davros tried to destroy it in Series 3

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching some clips from "World Enough and Time" and on repeat viewing, the bit where Bill has a whacking great hole blown through her chest is a wee bit Looney Tunes, isn't it? Didn't really think about that when I saw it the first time because I was very surprised by it then, but when I knew it was coming, it was sort of distracting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was watching some clips from "World Enough and Time" and on repeat viewing, the bit where Bill has a whacking great hole blown through her chest is a wee bit Looney Tunes, isn't it? Didn't really think about that when I saw it the first time because I was very surprised by it then, but when I knew it was coming, it was sort of distracting.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The Doctor's Wife is so stonkingly wonderful that it does make me weep happy tears. Suranne plays it so wonderfully and it adds so much to prior interactions.

Sarah Jane: Does he still stroke bits of the TARDIS?
Rose: Yeah! Yeah! He does! I’m like, “do you two wanna be alone?”

Kinda confusing when supposedly Clara tells him to take the Type 40 cos he'll have more fun, when we get this:

Idris: Did you ever wonder why I chose you all those years ago?
The Doctor: I chose you. You were unlocked.
Idris: Of course I was. I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.

But who gives a drat really; The Doctor's Wife is a wonderful piece with great performances - Suranne, Michael Sheen, Elizabeth Berrington...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Plavski posted:

Kinda confusing when supposedly Clara tells him to take the Type 40 cos he'll have more fun, when we get this:

Well I mean the idea is that the Claras are "fixing" things after the Great Intelligence has screwed around in the Doctor's timeline so basically that stuff is true and how it really happened in the Doctor's life, but then the GI did something to change it and Time Lord Clara had to just kind of nudge him back in the right direction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah that's how I always saw it too. The Doctor lived his life then died. The GI entered his personal time-stream and went back and hosed up literally every single moment of the Doctor's life running backwards (the GI was such a sperg, it's kinda great) and then Clara jumped in and set everything back to the way it originally was.

Then John Hurt showed up and we got Day of the Doctor and that was best of all :allears:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My first viewing if Let's Kill Hitler left me only remembering the origin of River bits, which are great. None of the garbage bits properly integrated into my memory, which is probably an effect of binge watching.

Honestly, the "she's named after herself" bit is a good time. Someone should create an 8 minute cut version of the episode.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that's how I always saw it too. The Doctor lived his life then died. The GI entered his personal time-stream and went back and hosed up literally every single moment of the Doctor's life running backwards (the GI was such a sperg, it's kinda great) and then Clara jumped in and set everything back to the way it originally was.

Then John Hurt showed up and we got Day of the Doctor and that was best of all :allears:

There was a pretty great novel I forget the name of now where the Doctor went to an auction during the time war for his own corpse because it could be used to reverse engineer lost time lord technologies because of his unique biodata/timestream.

In the end he incinerated his own dead body so nobody could get access.

Need to bring back Faction Paradox and their biodata virus.

Also it was strongly hinted that the auctioneer was Drax from the final Key to Time serial :v:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Well I mean the idea is that the Claras are "fixing" things after the Great Intelligence has screwed around in the Doctor's timeline so basically that stuff is true and how it really happened in the Doctor's life, but then the GI did something to change it and Time Lord Clara had to just kind of nudge him back in the right direction.

and somehow it's even more awful on screen than written down like that

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DancingShade posted:

There was a pretty great novel I forget the name of now where the Doctor went to an auction during the time war for his own corpse because it could be used to reverse engineer lost time lord technologies because of his unique biodata/timestream.

In the end he incinerated his own dead body so nobody could get access.

Need to bring back Faction Paradox and their biodata virus.

Also it was strongly hinted that the auctioneer was Drax from the final Key to Time serial :v:

I think it's Alien Bodies. Good old Lawrence Miles.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Because of that Clara is the only companion who've seen every Doctor and is also the most important companion.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Really every Moffat story that deals with the main storyline is dogshit, except for the ones in series 5 and 9. But Let's Kill Hitler manages to stand out from the crowd with how terrible it is.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The whole 'attacking The Doctor in every moment of his life at once' thing sounds like a fun idea on paper but it's just way too big of a thing to pop in the last five minutes or so of the episode. Ruining and saving the entire series backwards is a story in itself and it gets represented as a pair of montages, special effects which don't quite sell that highly abstract concept, and a twist-cliffhanger ending in a deadly location, which is half ignored anyway because Day of the Doctor (wisely) never bogged itself down with how they left the time stream (considering half of the peril was that going in was that it was irreversible and lethal and, after checking the clip, they show the entrance closing behind 11).

The I guess it didn't happen anyway because Trenzalore didn't end up being The Doctor's death so eh whatever. Use it as an excuse to bring back Richard E. Grant as The Great Intelligence at some point, he does a great performance.

marktheando posted:

Really every Moffat story that deals with the main storyline is dogshit, except for the ones in series 5 and 9. But Let's Kill Hitler manages to stand out from the crowd with how terrible it is.

Even in series 9, The Hybrid stuff was badly handled too. Clara's increasingly suicidal stunts (which I viewed as some kind of reckless grief/self-destruction in reaction to Danny having died and re-died horribly) was a really subtly done arc though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

I think it's Alien Bodies. Good old Lawrence Miles.

Sounds about right. Great book by a good author.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

toanoradian posted:

Because of that Clara is the only companion who've seen every Doctor and is also the most important companion.

No, it's because of this that she's the most important

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

I just watched that again the other night for the first time in ... gosh, probably two years, maybe longer, and I was stunned at how well it holds up. I mean, it still makes no loving sense to me, but it's just so much fun, even if much of Tennant's dialogue is a bit messy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Night of the Doctor is still the best thing tho

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Yeah, yeah, in 8 minutes Paul McGann outshines Tennant, Smith and Hurt's entire 77 minutes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Stabbatical posted:

which is half ignored anyway because Day of the Doctor (wisely) never bogged itself down with how they left the time stream (considering half of the peril was that going in was that it was irreversible and lethal and, after checking the clip, they show the entrance closing behind 11).

Oh poo poo, I just realized why this happened. It was really up in the air how much they were going to be able to do for the 50th anniversary special, so they set up for what was essentially the 'last resort' option where they could only get Jenna and Matt, where they'd essentially use the conceit of fixing the Doctor's timestream for a high-concept clip show. Clearly, what happened is that the plan for Day of the Doctor only fell into place fairly late, to the point where they couldn't write their way out of their contingency plan.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bbc America put up comicon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48kmAYG3Gw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I'll have to watch the doctors wife again. It didn't jive with me the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

toanoradian posted:

Yeah, yeah, in 8 minutes Paul McGann outshines Tennant, Smith and Hurt's entire 77 minutes.

To be fair, even FOUR minutes is ages.

• Locked thread