Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

Jfc those rubber bands!

Bridgestone Dueler 285/45 R22. Last truck had the standard 17" wheels and the difference in ride quality is noticeable but not terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Gomba posted:

It will never stop raining in Atlanta so I can't wash it and get some nice daylight pics, but here is my new ricemobile.

That's a neat get! What were you cross shopping it with? Did you get gouged by the dealer with their horrific dealer markup? How long did you need to wait for it?

Gomba
Jul 6, 2004

You like my mustache? Thank You!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That's a neat get! What were you cross shopping it with? Did you get gouged by the dealer with their horrific dealer markup? How long did you need to wait for it?

I cross shopped it with a WRX STI and a Focus RS. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Type Rs so I was already leaning towards it. Focus RSs hit 41k with the options I want, and the STI doesn't feel quite as nice.

The dealer tried to pull a 10k markup but I waited it out. Ultimately I think they noticed that the marked up examples in the area are not moving.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Dislike button posted:

Bridgestone Dueler 285/45 R22. Last truck had the standard 17" wheels and the difference in ride quality is noticeable but not terrible

It upset me when I learned that the Z71 package doesn't require 4WD anymore.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

wallaka posted:

It upset me when I learned that the Z71 package doesn't require 4WD anymore.

I am not able to configure a 2WD Z71 truck on the Chevrolet website.

Edit: You can get a 2WD Z71 Colorado but the Silverado has to be 4WD.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 17, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gomba posted:

The dealer tried to pull a 10k markup but I waited it out. Ultimately I think they noticed that the marked up examples in the area are not moving.

Haha gently caress them. Glad you waited it out. I hope you expressed discontent with the price gouging. I bought my WRX the first month it was out and the dealers were pulling similar poo poo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Gomba posted:

I cross shopped it with a WRX STI and a Focus RS. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Type Rs so I was already leaning towards it. Focus RSs hit 41k with the options I want, and the STI doesn't feel quite as nice.

My son really wants me to get into a new Type R but poo poo like the markup and the fact that Honda teased the US for so long with the car are why I am adamantly opposed. I have an irrational love for Honda but gently caress everything surrounding the Type R (minus the car itself which is cool as gently caress). Congrats on getting the cat without getting gouged. I hope it's awesome!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Gomba posted:

It will never stop raining in Atlanta so I can't wash it and get some nice daylight pics, but here is my new ricemobile.

When are you taking it up to the Helen area?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like the type r, I really do. But come on Honda, retire the k series all ready. Give me some new engine to swoon over.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gomba posted:

So this thing probably scoots around pretty good, eh?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Dislike button posted:

Traded in my 2015 Silverado 5.3 for a 2017 LTZ z71 with the 6.2L. It sounds much better and is about 1.5 seconds faster to 60

The number of changes between 2 model years continues to surprise me. And yes, I appreciate the irony of a Z71 with 22" wheels

Congrats on the nice looking truck!

I'll tell you a couple things my salesman didn't tell me , as I have the same truck (2017 LTZ Z71) but with 20" wheels and the 5.3. I upgraded from a 2014 double cab LT all-star edition :

1) the wireless charging mat on the arm rest is aligned poorly. in order to get it to charge my phone i had to remove the mat and put it back in upside-down.
2) the 8 speed transmission is loving stupid. They've gotten a lot of complaints for it in low speed situations. it often guesses wrong on what gear to be in when you're cruising 15-20mph and it causes some more-jarring-than-you'd-expect CLUNKs. This is normal and your transmission isn't hosed. The guys at the dealership said 'hopefully they might have an update to it we can flash'.
3) the voice control is trash, but they now support passthrough to your phone's voice control (siri or google assistant) if you press and hold the voice button on the steering wheel.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Nerdrock posted:

Congrats on the nice looking truck!

I'll tell you a couple things my salesman didn't tell me , as I have the same truck (2017 LTZ Z71) but with 20" wheels and the 5.3. I upgraded from a 2014 double cab LT all-star edition :

1) the wireless charging mat on the arm rest is aligned poorly. in order to get it to charge my phone i had to remove the mat and put it back in upside-down.
2) the 8 speed transmission is loving stupid. They've gotten a lot of complaints for it in low speed situations. it often guesses wrong on what gear to be in when you're cruising 15-20mph and it causes some more-jarring-than-you'd-expect CLUNKs. This is normal and your transmission isn't hosed. The guys at the dealership said 'hopefully they might have an update to it we can flash'.
3) the voice control is trash, but they now support passthrough to your phone's voice control (siri or google assistant) if you press and hold the voice button on the steering wheel.

Thanks! Haven't messed with the wireless charging since I have an iPhone but good to know.

I have definitely noticed some jankiness in the transmission. When I first got my 2015 it would occasionally shift roughly but seemed to most go away once everything was broken in so I'm hoping that's the case here. One thing that is similar to the 6 speed is that it just does not want to rev unless you stomp on it. I'm not sure how 'smart' the transmission is and if it will learn and improve or just get better as it gets some miles on it (currently at 150). For voice I was just using Siri anyway. One thing improved over the 2015 is I can now play the radio and have audio from my phone navigation going over the sound system where before it had to be switched to the phone input. Makes things a lot more seamless.

Done so far:

Blacked out the front & back gold bowties

I just used some plasti-dip for now but it doesn't look great from up close. The polished black billet aluminum inserts are like $120 for the pair so figured I'd try a $6 spray job first.

Had a shop here put together a custom Magnaflow exhaust using a pair of black tips to match the rest of the truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENATom7AP-4

My phone doesn't pick up the depth of the sound very well but it's got a nice growl to it without being super obnoxious. It has caused my right foot to be significantly heavier.

Last thing I'll do is probably get some ceramic tint done.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dislike button posted:

I just used some plasti-dip for now but it doesn't look great from up close. The polished black billet aluminum inserts are like $120 for the pair so figured I'd try a $6 spray job first.

Try a small sheet of black vinyl. I did that on my previous car and it looked pretty decent, and was also cheap.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Recently Ive had some maintenance to do to the $800 beater that I bought a couple years ago, so I figured I might as well make it my own. I've added a 2.5" lift to the front and 3" in back.

There's always more to do but it feels good to tool around in this thing now that all the major items needing attention have been addressed. Next on the list is to replace the center support bearing, find a fuel filler hose, locate some XJ or syncro springs & fit those, change the rear wheel studs to allow for the spacers I have, install a JY LSD, fab up mudflaps, add some finishing touches to the roof rack and...I'm sure ill think of something else. Eventually id like to stick a LS motor in for the cheap/easy/reliable power.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 19, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I've always liked 760 wagons. I *really* like yours. Keep up the good work.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:flashfap: 745s look so good with a lift.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I'm in love with that Volvo 😍😍😍

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Completed the TDI buyback on Tuesday and I picked up a new Hyundai Ioniq Limited last night. Got the hybrid model because the full electric only has a 200Km range and I'm in Edmonton where things are far away and poo poo gets cold.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Good looking car; I'm eager to hear how you like it in the long term.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is why we can't have nice things.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Doing what I bought and built it to do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Exploring mars?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

May as well be!

https://goo.gl/maps/PsiM3HR77My

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

How far is that from the nearest Walmart?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

How far is that from the nearest Walmart?

1200kms from Dalhousie springs to Adelaide airport, 1167km from Adelaide Airport to Sydney Airport, 8154km from Sydney to Honolulu Airport and then 12km from Honolulu airport to a wallmart.

So 10533kms or 6583 miles

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ferremit posted:

1200kms from Dalhousie springs to Adelaide airport, 1167km from Adelaide Airport to Sydney Airport, 8154km from Sydney to Honolulu Airport and then 12km from Honolulu airport to a wallmart.

So 10533kms or 6583 miles

At least they're open 24/7 so you don't have to worry about traveling all that distance just for them to be closed.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Wally Joyner posted:

Recently Ive had some maintenance to do to the $800 beater that I bought a couple years ago, so I figured I might as well make it my own. I've added a 2.5" lift to the front and 3" in back.
That is so good. So good.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Dislike button posted:

It has caused my right foot to be significantly heavier.

Keep your Heads up Display on the efficiency gauge and it'll stop that quick.

Here's mine after some particularly rough winter days, earlier this year. 7.2 MPG. Not towing anything, just 4WD and trips back and forth to work :

Edit : Full disclosure, remote start to warm things up inside is probably the reason for this.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 25, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Dang...I don't even get that low on my LMM dually unless I'm towing the camper up a grade.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Wow, suddenly my 5.7 tundra doesnt seem so bad. 10.9mpg towing, 12.9mpg empty on e85. Regular is about 2mpg better.

I bet your trucks are way more fun to drive than mine. The vortec max is a hard one to find.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

CharlesM posted:

Good looking car; I'm eager to hear how you like it in the long term.

Thanks, took it on a bit of a road trip over the weekend. Went to Calgary to my sister's place then into the mountains in Banff. I seriously can't believe the fuel economy and my previous car was a Golf TDI, on the highway, as long as I keep it under 100km/h I can hit below 4L/100km (close to US 60mpg) and between Calgary and Edmonton where the speed limit is 110 I got 5.2L/100Km (45 US mpg) averaged over 310Km, that's the best I was ever able to hit in my Golf (and that was on highways where the speed limit was 90Km/h)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I should take a picture of my Abarth gauges when I get home. I think my trip 2 is currently at 2,000ish miles and 15-16mpg

Out of a 1.4L

VROOOOOOOM PSSSSHHHHH POP POP VROOOOOOOOOM PSSSSHHHH POP POP

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Dislike button posted:

I am not able to configure a 2WD Z71 truck on the Chevrolet website.

Edit: You can get a 2WD Z71 Colorado but the Silverado has to be 4WD.

They changed it, then. I looked at several 2010-2015ish ones when I was truck shopping.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Nerdrock posted:

Keep your Heads up Display on the efficiency gauge and it'll stop that quick.

Here's mine after some particularly rough winter days, earlier this year. 7.2 MPG. Not towing anything, just 4WD and trips back and forth to work :

Edit : Full disclosure, remote start to warm things up inside is probably the reason for this.

My 5.3 was averaging a little under 21 mpg over the last few months (indicated, I didn't calculate to see if the computer was accurate) with mostly highway miles. The best I got over 400 miles was 22.7 driving like a grandma

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

eyebeem posted:

I should take a picture of my Abarth gauges when I get home. I think my trip 2 is currently at 2,000ish miles and 15-16mpg

Out of a 1.4L

VROOOOOOOM PSSSSHHHHH POP POP VROOOOOOOOOM PSSSSHHHH POP POP

How is this even possible? I get 14.0 out of my highstrung 420hp 4-liter V8 that I drive at 8300rpms/100% throttle everywhere and I guarantee it downshifts with a considerable amount more presence and authority than an asthmatic Fiat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

This is why we can't have nice things.

What? Is... It's July!
Oh, gently caress, that's *hail* isn't it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, and that was a small river carrying a bunch of it down the street,

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I get 69mpg at 420rpm.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I get 69mpg at 420rpm.