Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I hate when I beef a possible save in salmon run. Didn't realize my crew was dead otherwise I would of splashdowned

E: Taking a break but had fun with those that popped in. Out of the 10 or so rounds only lost 2 of em :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

jetpackhewy posted:

Are times normally like this? I just woke up and it'll be closed by the time I get back from work. :(

We don't know. They gave us more frequent runs for the three days after launch. Monday was the first day of a normal run density.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There is a certain irony in working hard to make sure that my squid has the freshest clothes possible right before I go out shopping in sweatpants

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did Splatoon 1 eventually get more BGM/tunes (outside of Splatfests I mean)?

I like what we have, I just want more of it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EYIpDD04Po

:suicide:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Salmon Run is exactly the length of match that it's engaging but not frustrating or overly long. Much better than something like L4D where you feel like you're stuck with idiots for up to 25 minutes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pierson posted:

Did Splatoon 1 eventually get more BGM/tunes (outside of Splatfests I mean)?

I like what we have, I just want more of it.

Yeah, originally it was just the Squid Sisters album. When the big 2.0 update hit that added sloshers and miniguns and whatnot they introduced a whole new slew of bands and music.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

jetpackhewy posted:

Are times normally like this? I just woke up and it'll be closed by the time I get back from work. :(

This weekend seems pretty available but during this week it's only open on tuesday and thursday and only during US daytime. They really don't want Americans with dayshifts playing during the week I guess.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

There is a certain irony in working hard to make sure that my squid has the freshest clothes possible right before I go out shopping in sweatpants

It's ok because inklings are only allowed to wear exercise leg wear. Yes I will not shut up I cannot put designer jeans or chinos on my squidkid in a game that heavily focuses on looking good

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 25, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I had a dream last night they added a surprise new leg option but it turned out to be basically jncos

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Gimbal lock posted:

Using the brush as a weapon means showing up at an angle that the enemy doesn't expect because you can move at really good speeds in enemy ink. Add to that the fact that you're going to win a fight if you come within stabbing distance of your target. So, ideally you'll want to come at unsuspecting targets from the side or back without them knowing. you're pretty fragile though, and if they see you coming, you might want to change strategy. Fortunately, you are also the best at escaping harrowing situations since you can run on enemy ink if you have enough ink yourself. The key is knowing when you should live to splat another day and fall back. That said, if you get really good at zigzagging, you might be able to close in on your target and spat him anyway if he's spotted you but is alone.

Great.

What game modes are most suited to the brush, and what is the best way to paint vertically to wall climb?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Salmon Run if you notice your team is dead and locked behind a wall of angry fish please do not try to revive them. If the quota has been met it's okay to bail if you survive the wave. Please

Please stop running into the 2 stingers and steelheads hiding behind the metal eel. Please just run. There's 10 seconds left. Stop.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DalaranJ posted:

What game modes are most suited to the brush

Tower Control and Rainmaker

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In Salmon Run if you notice your team is dead and locked behind a wall of angry fish please do not try to revive them. If the quota has been met it's okay to bail if you survive the wave. Please

Please stop running into the 2 stingers and steelheads hiding behind the metal eel. Please just run. There's 10 seconds left. Stop.

LEAVE NO SQUID BEHIND.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Lakbay posted:

This weekend seems pretty available but during this week it's only open on tuesday and thursday and only during US daytime. They really don't want Americans with dayshifts playing during the week I guess.

That'd suck if that were the case, but if weekends are available, I can do that.

Dr Cheeto posted:

We don't know. They gave us more frequent runs for the three days after launch. Monday was the first day of a normal run density.

I see. I hope the first weekend is at least an indicator for others.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 25, 2017

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

So annoyed that I won't be able to participate in the easy salmon run coming up

More annoyed that I will have to deal with people who ride that to profreshional being filtered out after a more standard loadout comes.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm loving this game and finally getting used to the motion controls a bit. I had an 8 kill turfwar with 1000p which our team won 51% to 43% and I felt really good about myself.

However, I'm reading through this thread and holy hell all of the splat lingo. Will I just eventually catch on? I know nothing of what you guys are saying and haven't even begun to freshen myself up gearwise. Just enjoying shooting ink so far. Should I play single player?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Single Player is a really good, lengthy tutorial since it forces you to use each weapon type and the game will teach you each of their quirks

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

However, I'm reading through this thread and holy hell all of the splat lingo. Will I just eventually catch on? I know nothing of what you guys are saying and haven't even begun to freshen myself up gearwise. Just enjoying shooting ink so far. Should I play single player?

As someone in your exact situation, I recommend it. I felt like it was a good tutorial for the basic mechanics and skills of the game as well as an intro to each weapon type. And it doesn't overstay its welcome. Each mission focuses on something new without much feeling of repeating already-mastered skills, and it's not very long. There's even some amount of charming amusement in the characters/story, if that does anything for you.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm LFG for salmon run if any professionals get going in the next few hours.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Spellman posted:

Hope I can grind out the super-rewards for this after work. Despite salmon run not being available all the time, I like it because it encourages me to play. I probably would've played like once and then focused on Turf otherwise

I would rather be able to play the game mode I want to play, when I want to play.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

*pops a double cash food*
*loses the next 10 matches in a row*

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I would rather be able to play the game mode I want to play, when I want to play.

I think the idea behind limited availability is to tune how powerful the rewards are, as well as ensure that there are enough players queuing to fill groups as there are quite a few separate queues already (League, Ranked, Turf, Salmon). Maybe if they see it is popular and that the playerbase is big enough to support all the different queues well they will tweak the times to be more like this past weekend where they just cycle the weapons and refresh the rewards every few days.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

how do the tickets work? If I eat one and then log off, is the effect carried over?

i like the game but there's a lot of mechanics which are not explained very well

Wendell
May 11, 2003

People who dress their character in the try-hard "cool" full body armour make me a little sad.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

well why not posted:

how do the tickets work? If I eat one and then log off, is the effect carried over?

i like the game but there's a lot of mechanics which are not explained very well

They last 20 matches, whether that takes you two hours or two weeks.

And you're absolutely right. This game doesn't explain itself very well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I quite enjoyed my power armor/sunglasses combo, personally. Felt like a Terminator.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

well why not posted:

Tickets last 20 rounds, you're safe. You'll see the bonus counter in the same HUD element that keeps track of your money and snails.

There is a lot that this game doesn't tell you.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I never played the first one but I picked this up because it looks fun and good. I did some single player for an hour and the motion controls gave me a headache. I cannot wrap my head around not having stick movement for the Y axis. Why do they not allow that, with motion controls to fine-tune aim? It's extremely weird to me and allowing Y stick aiming would make it 100x better. I loved the motion controls in botw, why can't this be like that?

Anyways. I need to figure out controls more in single before I hop into multi but it seems fun so far!

How do I get the android app to work? Whenever I click the splatoon 2 thing in the switch app it just shows me an ad for the app, listing its features. No way to get into it that I see. And it doesn't seem to be a standalone play store app either. Am I just being dumb?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Pretty sure you gotta play some turf war before the app will recognize you

Get fresh, my friend

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Man I keep getting my rear end kicker when it goes high tide in wave three. If one person is splatted everything falls apart

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Man I keep getting my rear end kicker when it goes high tide in wave three. If one person is splatted everything falls apart

In high tide if you die dont distract your team with help cries unless things are calm. Theres such little room just hug a boss and your team will get you just by fighting.

Least thats what I do when I get splatted

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dexo posted:

LEAVE NO SQUID BEHIND.

Run away, and while nothing is around them since they're chasing you, throw bombs in their general direction.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

And you're absolutely right. This game doesn't explain itself very well.

The Plaza is super cool but it's not really clear how to find some key parts of the game, like singleplayer and murch just being small areas besides the multiplayer lobby.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

A Murch tutorial that gives you free chunks and then forces you to spend them on the starter headband or something would go a long way.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There's not even a tutorial for tower control or rainmaker, which is vastly different than the 10 levels of turf war new players will have been playing

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
It's funny seeing people jumping nonstop again. Reminds me of Splatoon 1's launch when tons of people were doing it until they realized it was worthless

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

something that bums me out about the end of the story in this game is callie shows up for ten minutes or so and then promptly exits the game never to be seen again outside of boss refight. marie still hangs around the plaza/octo valley, the zapfish can be seen atop inkopolis, who is callie????

just because she lost the splatfest doesn't mean people don't like her at all :smith:

She might be a little busy trying to remove that tattoo that DJ Octavio gave her. They at least gave her something, when you use any Bomb Rush in the game you can her solo Bomb Rush Blush play.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Pretty sure you gotta play some turf war before the app will recognize you

Get fresh, my friend

OK I'll go try that. Sorry teammates! :ohdear:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Finally played some Salmon Run, and it's so good. The ω-3 music for it is also amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-a6l27xmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5XWIRjhvEg

Edit: They're also pretty fun in Ika Radio 2!

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there some sort of guide to how to unlock all the Amiibo costumes? What I am reading online is not what I am getting when scanning