Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Some people think grown men shouldn't be in shorts in public beyond active things or the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Those people are called "assholes"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I live in New Orleans and go gently caress yourself if you expect me to not wear shorts to an outdoor show in the months of May-September.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Cuck.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I live in New Orleans and go gently caress yourself if you expect me to not wear shorts to an outdoor show in the months of May-September.

Same except the tropical Pacific.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same except Canada

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I agree when you go see a show at Rush Limbaughs taint, in August in the FL panhandle. You should be allowed to wear shorts.

But like we're talking about

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You don't get to slut shame me just because you can't handle yourself around my pale middle-aged man legs.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
I've never been to a outdoor concert that wasn't seated and held in fall/spring.

Every GA show I've gone to has been inside a venue and all AFs are at stadiums this tour I think.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Who is more hip?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Bowl posted:

Who is more hip?

Is other an option?

Also, other than that photo, I think Will's style is pretty fun.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
That's a silly on stage outfit I am sure. Just being Devil's advocate because why not.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
indoor concerts in brooklyn are hell in the summer. i remember there was a loving Beach House show at Baby's All Right a year or two ago that had 6 or 7 people pass out from the heat since the A/C was dying. again, at a loving Beach House show

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmao James Murphy has to try so goddamn hard just to look like a regular bum and not a cross-the-street-when-you-see-him kind of bum.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

I've never been to a outdoor concert that wasn't seated and held in fall/spring.

Every GA show I've gone to has been inside a venue and all AFs are at stadiums this tour I think.

Arcade Fire's album release show will be held at this distinctly elegant, yet affordable venue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC6AzmXrNbU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Austin has quite a few venues where the performance area is mostly or partly outdoors (Stubb's, Mohawk, Emo's, etc.) and they can get absolutely brutal in the summer. It gets to a point where I'm like "you're lucky I'm still wearing my own skin".

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Can someone make an Arcade Fire thread so we can not have this conversation here? I mean, I kind of like the new album but seriously.

On another note, the new SHEER MAG album is awesome. Might be my AOTY so far. Listen here: https://sheermag.bandcamp.com/

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

thehoodie posted:

Can someone make an Arcade Fire thread so we can not have this conversation here? I mean, I kind of like the new album but seriously.

On another note, the new SHEER MAG album is awesome. Might be my AOTY so far. Listen here: https://sheermag.bandcamp.com/

This is probably the most traffic this thread has had in months and still not even close to needing a separate thread.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You telling us where to post is almost as awful as The Arcade Fire telling us what to wear.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Who's talking about Arcade Fire? This is now the Shorts in Public thread.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Oh yeah that stuff should get the gently caress out. Men wearing shorts not at the beach.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm glad the Wolf Parade singer has stopped aggressively trying to disguise his very David Byrne style singing in silly ways and just leaned into it. Now do something about that band name and I can get fully on board.
Listen to Moonface's "City Wrecker."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spencer Krug is insanely good, basically

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

T Bowl posted:

This is probably the most traffic this thread has had in months and still not even close to needing a separate thread.

Every post should be talking about new music, imo.

Like this Declan McKenna. He's pretty cool also.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Do people really go to standing room only shows in shorts? Jesus christ.

Lol there is no amount of pissing off of hipsters that Arcade Fire will do that I do not find funny and endearing/loving. They're like the anti-FJM at this point.

Look at this guy angry at people wearing shorts and also thinking its hipsters listening to Arcade Fire in twenty seventeen lmao

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Was loving the new AF then Chemistry came on.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abraham linksys posted:

indoor concerts in brooklyn are hell in the summer. i remember there was a loving Beach House show at Baby's All Right a year or two ago that had 6 or 7 people pass out from the heat since the A/C was dying. again, at a loving Beach House show

Brooklyn Steel is nice and cold

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

GoldfishStew posted:

Was loving the new AF then Chemistry came on.

Same.

That and the interlude-y/punny nature of Infinite Content are the only low points imo. And even the fast version of IC sounds like an "Empty Room" style barn burner they decided to dump for some reason.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
This is kind of on the edge between indie/one of the hard rock threads, but CHON was mentioned in here before, so:

That is a good god drat line-up.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

wait, I've been infuriating/disgusting people without even knowing it by wearing shorts around town during the Summer? gently caress

also, my legs are hairy as poo poo

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 25, 2017

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Paperback Writer posted:

wait, I've been infuriating people without even knowing it by wearing shorts around town during the Summer? gently caress

This is what you look like to the pseudo-sophisticated. :D

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Paperback Writer posted:

wait, I've been infuriating/disgusting people without even knowing it by wearing shorts around town during the Summer? gently caress

also, my legs are hairy as poo poo

that's punk rock, man

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
even as someone who wouldnt be caught dead wearing shorts in public, i cant imagine actually caring enough about someone elses clothing choices to get legit mad about it. but apparently people like that exist. always learning something new here in the indie rock thread.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

jeffLebowski posted:

even as someone who wouldnt be caught dead wearing shorts in public, i cant imagine actually caring enough about someone elses clothing choices to get legit mad about it. but apparently people like that exist. always learning something new here in the indie rock thread.

People care very much about other's clothing choices... don't tell me you've never heard people analyze every aspect of someone's wardrobe/style out in public.

I mean the whole "hipster" thing is at it's peak we could all say right? So the smugness that comes from that whole thing is even stronger now more than ever with social media, memes, and the "i'm so different and quirky" mindset that is now the norm for young adults.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

jeffLebowski posted:

hello fellow old and probably married person

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

T Bowl posted:

the "i'm so different and quirky" mindset that is now the norm for young adults.

now? when was that ever not the case?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
and hipster definitely peaked 1-3 years ago. The only people who still use that term are just old.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I don't know... basically the average 20 something is a hipster now. It's the mainstream and I don't think it's in decline yet based on what's currently popular. I do live in a major city though so my view is a bit skewed I am sure coming from growing up in a smaller city in the mid west.

The term hipster is one thing, the actual type of person who would be defined is the norm now.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Earwicker posted:

now? when was that ever not the case?

Yeah I guess you're right with that, hippies did explode into the mainstream in their day.. punk stuff had it's day, grunge was huge. Yep.

The question is what comes next for the rock subculture.... it's all kind of jumbled now i'd say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

T Bowl posted:

Yeah I guess you're right with that, hippies did explode into the mainstream in their day.. punk stuff had it's day, grunge was huge. Yep.

Audrey Hepburn was the original manic pixie girl and that was back in the 50's. I'm pretty sure you could keep this going all the way back to Freud and the invention of the modern concept of childhood.