Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equate
Nov 11, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

What about the RED SKULL icon on the minimap that is like a storm/blackhole that damages you? is that anything special?

That is something new from the last test, as of right now all I know is if you get close it will drain your stamina. other than that, no clue. I didn't get very far in the last test due to reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Equate posted:

Also servers are currently down due to them trying to scale up their servers, they broke it. Currently TBD on them fixing it.

I was just about to upgrade to the super duper package, and It's like they read my mind, and shut the servers off so I couldn't. Smart.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This should go without saying but, uh, don't check the official forum for status updates. :stare:

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

explosivo posted:

This should go without saying but, uh, don't check the official forum for status updates. :stare:

Lots of pissed off people, twitter is the best source of their news atm.

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss

Equate posted:

If you have any questions about this game hit me up

What's an effective layout for funneling them into a big trap killzone? I was really into games like Sanctum and Orcs Must Die and want to utilize traps more, especially for my storm defenses.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
People are whiny. This is nothing new.

Anyway, having spent some time in the second area, I have a decent understanding of the game's mechanics by now. I can give some newbie tips.

-Do the main quests as much as you can. Aside from unlocking new poo poo, it's also a good source of helpful loot.
-Keep at least one hero of each type on hand, even if they suck.
-Objective defenses last one day at most. Feel free to scavenge and do side objectives till you have one day left for the speed run.
-Normal building materials are ridiculously easy to gather. Focus on searching objects in buildings.
-Chests give the best loot, and often traps and guns. Places to look:
*Basements - if you don't see a way down, destroy the floor by a staircase going up, or the centermost tile of the building. They love to hide them.
*Attics - the main reason to raid multi-story buildings. There's usually a sealed off attic. Use ramps to get on the roof and break a roof piece. Don't try to go up from inside, or you risk destroying any loot items on the piece of floor you break
*Hidden walls - It's usually not worth checking random basement walls, with two exceptions: There's a crack in the wall (You'll be able to see the room on the other side) Or there are enemies nearby on your elevation. They'll even helpfully attack the hidden wall to get at you.
-Use different weapons! There's about 5 different ammo types, and switching it up should keep you from running out of any one type as you keep finding more ammo in search objects.
-Practice building! While early game its not strictly necessary, you are going to have to figure it out for later as difficulty jumps and suddenly you have husks bombarding your objective from range and lobbing artillery over your walls.
-Collection: There's a lot you could say about it, but only put in schematics or survivors that you don't need. But do put things in there, as it rewards you with a lot of v-coins and extra skill points.
-Don't sweat the survivor mechanics. It's all about stat boosts and little more.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Fallout posted:

What's an effective layout for funneling them into a big trap killzone? I was really into games like Sanctum and Orcs Must Die and want to utilize traps more, especially for my storm defenses.

The enemies are more intelligent than in OMD, and also more random. They will basically follow shortest path mechanics, but it's more complicated. One facet is that the spawns are more spread out than OMD, so some spawns from an area may find the shortest path to be the one you intended, but others may not. I think they are also intentionally random to a point, to keep things from being too easy. The best build strategy I've seen so far is more around handling exceptions well than optimizing a mega kill zone like you could in OMD.

You also cannot pick up traps after putting them down, so you should probably focus on setting up generic defensive positions, and then lay traps as bottlenecks appear. Set up opportunities for bottlenecks, but do not count on them working like a well oiled machine.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Fallout posted:

Each zone is unique. It also depends where you plant the shield extenders. The best way to block spawns is to overbuild an area and zone them in. The best way to build a block is following this setup -> Wall, Floor, Stairs, Wall. you utilize this in the direction you are blocking. You leave the wall as a full wall, the floor you eliminate two of the tiles so it creates a mini wall, stairs, then full wall. This essentially gives 3 barriers per tile. I count the 2nd wall as apart of another tile. You can join other people's outpost defense missions (OD's) in order to learn where the enemy spawns. Figuring out the spawns you can funnel them down one path and just build traps leading to the outpost or the extenders.

You can also add stairs along a path, so it looks like this |/| That will force all the monsters to path under the stairs, you can also build small 2 tile mini walls to path them left and right.

My recommendation though, is this game is pay to progress at the moment. If you do decide to purchase the game, start off with the standard ( you can always upgrade later ). Play for 20-30 hours, if you like the game and what to throw more money at it, then do so. The game does give you higher tiered heroes/weapons/schematics etc.. but its spread out throughout the levels.

ALSO, you can shoot the skull from the lobbers :}

Equate fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 25, 2017

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
So what options for buying llamas are there? Someone mentioned an 11 for the price of 10 deal somewhere. Is that on a time based rotation like the specialty llamas? Are the specialty llamas sold in 3-packs, or are they 350 coins for a single llama?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions yet?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
anybody have a discount thing

want to buy this game

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

General Morden posted:

anybody have a discount thing

want to buy this game

Like I said, I have a few standard editions for 25 just hit me up on PM's.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

So what options for buying llamas are there? Someone mentioned an 11 for the price of 10 deal somewhere. Is that on a time based rotation like the specialty llamas? Are the specialty llamas sold in 3-packs, or are they 350 coins for a single llama?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions yet?

I don't think these are fixed things.

As for now, normal llamas are 100 coins, better llamas are 350. Mini-llamas are farmeable in the game until a point (I believe).

The 350 coins llama can give you legendaries, thats probably what you want, and a very low probability of a mythic, that can be interesting.

The 100 coins llama can fill your inventory with epics and rares. For the first map people advice to use commons and rares, they say that higher quality weapons may need more resources to craft, so is not a win-win to use a legendary instead of a rare.

Heroes are probably more valuable than weapons, and weapons more than survivors.

The 350 llamas follow a topic, theres mele llamas, range weapons llamas, so you have to wait for the 350 hero llama if you target mythic heroes.

Is not a fixed thing, and tomorrow they may add different prices, discounts, package sales. whatever. Generally freemium games are very dynamic in their prices.

Currently Fortnite is a fremium game. At some point in the leveling the coins stream become a slow drip feed. The community is giving Epic a lot of feedback to change that, so free players can get llamas more often.

Paying real money in this game will speedup your character progression, and not doing it, or having bad luck in the RNG will just make your progression slow. The whales will run fun weapons but since the game is actually difficult on the high level, they will lose many games, while playing better may result in winning.

This is a game that I would not mind paying a subscription and get 2 free llamas every day, or something like that. Makes more sense than the current system.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

As a weapon type, are LMGs any good?

It's very tempting to max out this rare LMG BP (+40% magsize | +30% reload speed | -23% recoil | +10% damage /w energy type), but I made the mistake of maxing out a few epics early on and exp is in short supply so I want to ensure it's reasonably worthwhile.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Does progress carry over between platforms (I guess you'd have to buy the game twice to even check)?

quote:

What about my in-game progression?
Cross-progression is supported on PC/Mac and PS4 only. Players must link their PSN account to their Epic ID in order to enable cross-progression. Link your accounts here.

So it looks like you can buy it on their site and then link the accounts to play PC and PS4 with keeping progress.

the panacea fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 25, 2017

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Is it worth leveling a non epic hero? I haven't leveled up any (except when needed for that one mission). The only epic hero i've gotten is an epic builder. Holding out till i at least get a legendary, or at least another epic besides builder.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You want two high level heroes with squad boosts you like in your squad slots to give your main 30% of their stats and their passive.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So do you guys think this game is worth a buy?

I also heard there are microtransactions. What are those like?

Is it viable to play solo and what is this whole homebase stuff and stuff you build not saving?

I also assume the standard package is good enough yes?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Agrajag posted:

Is it viable to play solo and what is this whole homebase stuff and stuff you build not saving?

Standard package is plenty to start anyways, and you can upgrade the packages at any time. If you aren't garbage at the game, you'll be plenty useful and able to contribute, you just won't instantly have all the shiny toys.

I bought the maximum super legendary pack, and I'm not upset with it.

Solo play is tricky... you can run around and loot solo, and some missions are much more viable solo, but some will just be more aggravation than is worthwhile. Pubs aren't that bad for just running missions for XP, but a good group is of course more fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Agrajag posted:

If you like Tower defense/Orcs Must Die/Minecraft/Horde Mode and lots of persistent leveling and loot then yes.

Microtransactions are basically loot crates, you can earn paid currency by doing dailies so it is not necessary. Loot crates contain pretty much anything in game (characters, weapons, traps, etc.) but there's really no P2W since it's all co-op anyway.

Solo is viable to an extent, I assume it'll get harder to play solo the further in you get but there are quickplay party options that'll pair you with others to finish missions if you desire. You have a homebase that is persistent and you can build to your hearts content, you have reoccurring missions there throughout the campaign that gets increasingly more difficult to defend. In the other regular missions that you'll be doing more of you have to build everything from scratch every time.

Standard package is perfectly fine. There are upgrade options available in-game for the difference (so, $20 to upgrade from the Standard to Deluxe edition) if you end up liking the game. I picked up standard and am having a blast so will probably upgrade to Deluxe on payday this week.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Being F2P, it's probably good to remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. I see some people melting down over only getting a trickle of premium currency daily, and I'm not really sure what else these people expected.

If you want fast progress, you'll likely shell out cash.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Go with the standard, if you want more upgrade. You pay the difference between the packs anyhow. Come join me in the world of tanks goon discord server, for some reason I keep saying mumble.. Look for Bart.

I have one more standard to go for 25$ please send me a PM.

Equate fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 25, 2017

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So your home base is persistent, but can you play with a friend and build up the same home base? Or can you only bring them in to help with quests.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

m.hache posted:

Or can you only bring them in to help with quests.
It's this one. They got asked about shared bases in the AMA and they liked the idea, but it's probably a ways out if ever.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

m.hache posted:

So your home base is persistent, but can you play with a friend and build up the same home base? Or can you only bring them in to help with quests.

So there is an outpost on each map, 4 maps = 4 outposts. You do not share outposts, but you can help build each others outpost.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

It's this one. They got asked about shared bases in the AMA and they liked the idea, but it's probably a ways out if ever.

Something about PVP in january with guilds etc...

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Equate posted:

Something about PVP in january with guilds etc...

I actually hope they can get a versus mode in. Make it 4v4 like L4d but the enemies are monster commanders. You get to pick where your bros spawn and at what ratio of different dudes. Theyll need to create some monster hero classes I guess but make it so the longer the game goes the more power they get to summon more and more dudes.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I got the LIMITED EDITION of this game for no good reason and I'm looking forward to it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I have used far too much wood and stone to turn back now.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Excited to start this up. How are the building physics? Can I build a crows nest sitting on a 2x4 like MineCraft? or is there weight ratios and supports required like 7 days to die.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

m.hache posted:

Excited to start this up. How are the building physics? Can I build a crows nest sitting on a 2x4 like MineCraft? or is there weight ratios and supports required like 7 days to die.

Nah no physics like that. As long as there's a connecting piece that you laid down you can suspend platforms wherever you want.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

haha nice! Last closed test I had inverted pyramids everywhere, because why not. I was touching the top of the dome with an upside pyramid on everything, huge waste of resources but its fun. I will definitely build a maze to trap people in one day :], ha I didn't see the discord in the OP. I'll be there.

Equate fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I have no wood and I must scream.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sultan Tarquin posted:

how did you get so many building materials?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

You can drop (insert building material here) into the shield's inventory. It starts with 5 open slots. This means you can run out to a random mission, harvest a full stack of (insert building material here), drop that stack in the shield's inventory, rinse and repeat until the shield inventory and your inventory are full, and you'll have 5994 of (insert building material here) to burn in one fell swoop.

You could also build it up in steps as you fill up on (insert building material here).

Quitting out of a mission instead of completing it doesn't penalize you in any way - you keep anything you've picked up.

They really need to uncap building mat stacks, or at least set the cap to 9999, even if it takes some node in the 3rd or 4th skill tree. 999 goes way too fast.

Would be nice if crafting mats stacked higher too. 99 is nothing.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Huh, I saw a survivor calling for help underground on the mini map and ended up in this little tunnel maze beneath a crypt. There was one of those mist monsters in there guarding a treasure chest and a shrine that contained treasure chest contents. Little random dungeon crawl.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So do you have to play with a team of four or will a team of 2 do fine? Basically was curious if this would be a good game for my wife and I to play or if we would have to find some randos to group with.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

So do you have to play with a team of four or will a team of 2 do fine? Basically was curious if this would be a good game for my wife and I to play or if we would have to find some randos to group with.

If you're having trouble with a small group there is a trap that summons npc players to fill out the team.

Who knows what happens on the high difficulty maps though.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
My girlfriend and I have put in a ridiculous number of hours since the headstart began, granted a lot of those were in groups with a few of the discord goons, but we occasionally gently caress off on our own to farm mats and knock out quests. In short you don't need 4, but it isn't hard to fill out a group when you need to.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Mordiceius posted:

I've been doing it with 2 and it has been ok. I'm not on the high difficulty stuff yet though but it "seems" to scale for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So question about editions. The deluxe edition says it has a rare 8 hero starter pack. Does that mean the standard edition doesn't come with heros to play as or something?

• Locked thread