Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Golli posted:

Do the $70 missiles have LTI ?

Dunno.

But say you spent $2500 (or whatever it is now) on a Javelin with LTI after shelling out 15K for the completionist package.

Your Javelin has basically nothing in regards to outfitting it for battle. Lord Roberts has stated that those additional items that are purchased are not covered by the hull's LTI insurance and will in fact have their own rider clauses.

Makes understanding a car rental agreement easy.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That X-Mas stream was amazing.

Also, A for effort :respek:

I feel like this whole thing has turned into us watching the bolder that is :cig: roll down a hill, while :reddit: is under it, in a sisyphean attempt to reverse its downward momentum, and only managing to slow, or at best, give the appearance of stopping it, temporarily.

All the while the boulder gets bigger and bigger, the number of people underneath it slowly dwindles, and the shills/zealots get louder.

Meanwhile they're trying to continually poo poo on a crudely drawn picture of Derek's face beneath their feet, and slipping and face planting in it all on their own.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think my most anticipated thing for Star Citizen is them announcing the first in game ship price.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Dark Off posted:

they chose to wait it out until they have more time/programmers to figure out solution. Solution that they hope will exist in future.

I slightly worry that I may be making a :thejoke: post here (I've not been following the saga closely for all that long) but this sentence seems to sum up this entire shitshow.

CIG keep producing more concept ships to raise more funds to keep the lights on for long enough to allow the programmers to overcome the technical problems. Problem is the new concept ships keep bringing new technical problems to the list faster than CIG can overcome them, at least some of the issues aren't actually possible to overcome given the decisions already made and current technology available, the more artists they hire to make JPGs the less they can spend on hiring competent programmers, and everyone is buried too deep under the promises they've already made to pull out or change course now.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I slightly worry that I may be making a :thejoke: post here (I've not been following the saga closely for all that long) but this sentence seems to sum up this entire shitshow.

CIG keep producing more concept ships to raise more funds to keep the lights on for long enough to allow the programmers to overcome the technical problems. Problem is the new concept ships keep bringing new technical problems to the list faster than CIG can overcome them, at least some of the issues aren't actually possible to overcome given the decisions already made and current technology available, the more artists they hire to make JPGs the less they can spend on hiring competent programmers, and everyone is buried too deep under the promises they've already made to pull out or change course now.

It's like a tech debt ponzi scheme.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/804413750069473280

lol where is this game?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's going to be hard to top the xmas/anniversary show from last year. That was the gift that kept on giving.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Combat Theory posted:

So people seemed to like the technical story about the desync, good thing I got more of those.

Let me tell you about missiles shall I?

In most games, missiles are rather simple constructs since you have to factor in the possibility that players will spam them when their supplies are full. Generally the more realistic a simulation gets, the more complexity you also find in the missiles. All the way up to for example a DCS where the missiles are pretty much equal in simulation depth to the planes itself. The game can afford that because even in a harsh engagement, missile use is complex and you won't find 2 digit numbers of them in air usually.

Cig, visionary company, again thought it would be mighty cool to inject high complexity missile simulation into what's basically intended as an arcade combat design (this isn't a judgement, it's just a design philosophy)

Now before we go into the details of how they screwed it all up, please take the time and go Google star citizen DB and check out just how much crap gets calculated for a single missile launch and engagement

Here I just copy pasted the headers of the component data that a missile inherits in star citizen

code:
local name	name	category	class	type	subtype	manufacturer	size	mass	hp	price
	damage physical (hp)	damage cluster (hp)	explosion radius (m)	lifetime (s)	max range (m)
	signal type	guidance type	tracking distance (m)	angle (°)	ignition time (s)	
intercept accel main (m/s²)	intercept accel mav (/s²)	intercept accel rotation (/s²)
	intercept speed angular (°/s)	terminal accel main (m/s²)	terminal accel mav (/s²)
	terminal accel rotation 
(/s²)	terminal speed angular (°/s)	boost accel main (m/s²)	boost accel mav (/s²)	boost accel rotation (/s²)
	boost speed angular (°/s)	accel cost linear (fuel)	accel cost angular (fuel)	fuel terminal time (s)	signal
 minimum	signal maximum	signal amp seeking	noise amp	no lock timeout (s)	
cluster missiles	
cluster count (missiles)	trigger distance (m)	trigger angle (°)	eject speed (m/s)
As you can see from these data headers, missiles are fully simulated IFCS objects, which means they have a complex multi order flight model instead of a simple speed and direction one.

Now I said before hit detection and hit recognition are all client side. This doesn't go for missiles. Missiles are essentially AI ships and they are server controlled.
Now remember the servers already piss themselves with the least bit of load from single digit client numbers (10 people on server becomes a hindrance to good gameplay already) and now you have ships like the gladiator which can fire 8 missiles in short order, or the constellation with over 20 missiles.

But not enough. This is still not completely horrible. For that we need the cig factor.

Goons and goonettes, I present you, the rattler missile.

Gaze your eyes upon Roberts wet dream from wing commander times. A missile that fires 8 other missiles. And it's the best missile in game to and comes with a hardpoint size that almost any ship can carry.

Now imagine 2 people fire 2 missiles at each other. That's suddenly 32 physics enables ifcs controlled warheads on a server that's on last inch life support already. Absolute carnage.

You wanna know why you don't see people rattler spamming anymore nowadays? Because this poo poo has been Un touched for almost a year. Cig knew about this just as long as well. Just nobody did anything about it. So even the numbest missile spammer couldn't keep a straight face anymore after bringing the server down a fith time a night after all these months. The problem so to speak, has been solved by not touching it for so long that everybody just stopped playing.

Oh and guess what Roberts decided to put into 2.6?

Missile pickups...

Thank you, for making good posts

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

At what point does one get so far up their own rear end they collapse into a singularity? You have to be getting close.

You know what's inside the singularity?

Yeah, it's heads and asses all the way down, my friend.

Like a klein bottle of anal polyps, which is a hell of a Lovecraftian image if I say so myself.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Polish Avenger posted:

It's like a tech debt ponzi scheme.

Or a poo poo cascade.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's going to be hard to top the xmas/anniversary show from last year. That was the gift that kept on giving.

"Is ahhh... Is Dennis around?.... This there the uhm... ah... computers.... borked.... :(" - Chris Roberts, PC Wunkerkind

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hav posted:

Or a poo poo cascade.

Do you hear it Bubs? The whispering winds of poo poo?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Meridian posted:

Derek should stream some X-COM.

I know it makes me wet when that happens. I think that's a bonus?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Meridian posted:

After one of the streams the other night he followed GhostDad, Gradis and Jeebus into my discord channel and started posting weird poo poo about loving his girlfriend or something. He's banned from everything now.

This is gross. :(

I'm glad you took some control there over your viewers.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Titanic posted:

I know it makes me wet when that happens. I think that's a bonus?

I hope you're watching the vods, Titanic. The amount of rear end Snipetanic has been kicking cannot be understated. Let's just hope you don't meet a grim end, we've had some dicey missions lately. Speaking of X-COM. G0RF, psionics is pretty much off the table since we're playing from behind pretty hardcore right now in our current campaign. As compromise you're definitely going in Squad A during our next campaign.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:psyduck:

how is no one in the replies calling them out on this? "yeah I remember but it was a bullshot cause that was ages ago and you have done jack poo poo since"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVHTZiL4AbQ&t=107s

:gary:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Really, you haven't got any more "what will you do in X?" questions. Because this is much worse. "Remember when you first saw our marketing material from years ago that still isn't available?"

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 25, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Meridian posted:

N-no one cares about me? :ohdear:

:glomp:

I care, friend. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

I think my most anticipated thing for Star Citizen is them announcing the first in game ship price.

This Kobayashi Maru is their best case scenario... it means they survived getting crobbled a million other ways

:munch:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I SWEAR TO GOD CIG IF YOU DON'T RELEASE ANYTHING THIS YEAR

I'LL HOPE YOU PERFORM BETTER NEXT YEAR! :argh:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I will take one for the team AP and watch this.

Meridian posted:

Speaking of X-COM. G0RF, psionics is pretty much off the table since we're playing from behind pretty hardcore right now in our current campaign. As compromise you're definitely going in Squad A during our next campaign.

I will not let you down. Unless I somehow panic under pressure. In which case I blame Derek because he stole muh goon valor!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thoatse posted:

This Kobayashi Maru is their best case scenario... it means they survived getting crobbled a million other ways

More specifically I can't wait for the average hours it takes to make enough to buy the ship. There's no way they can win this, no matter how many hours it takes people are going to be mad af.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Would it help if I took credit for everything?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Thoatse posted:

This will be the real test. Make it too hard/long/uninteresting and people will bot like crazy, wrecking your economy and gently caress the grey market that the hardest whales jerk off. Make it too easy and you loose player over churn and backers stop giving you ship money, prefering to wait for them in game.

Decision, decision.

Maybe in 2020 ?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

G0RF posted:

(But thank you for the kindness. I don't really care about credit, it's just sobering data visualized cleanly -- but the consideration is thoughtful all the same.)

You made it though. :colbert:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58522/star-citizen-alpha-3-lets-land-moon/index.html

It links to Derek's website, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

:psyduck:

how is no one in the replies calling them out on this? "yeah I remember but it was a bullshot cause that was ages ago and you have done jack poo poo since"

The sane people have long fleed the cesspit. Only whales and newly converted cultists remain.

Also : Good work, G0RF.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 25, 2017

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
star citizen is sooo close to being a perfect game, it's just missing something intangible i can't put my finger on...

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
big nipples big life is one of my favorite posters

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

big nipples big life is one of my favorite posters
agreed

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

he has a real good name and av but i'm not real sure about the posts

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Space Skeleton posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?product_id=41

e: yeah just checked, the best missiles are 70k. The missile protection shield is 15k. You need both if you want to pvp according to the pvpers trying to make pvp a thing.

Friend I'll have you know that first this isn't a missile, it's a picture of a missile. The actual thing isn't in game.

Second, if you check the amount you get it's 2 torpedoes. The smallest loadout for a torpedo bomber is 3 on their strange stealth bomber thingie

That means in order to load out that ship you don't need 70$ of torpedoes. You need 140 dollars of torpedoes.

Oh and earlier statements have it that these are consumables once the game goes out of alpha. So have fun firing a single torpedo load worth 140 bux. Also pray for the netcode to not just make them dissappear half way lol.

E: taxe

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 25, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

he has a real good name and av but i'm not real sure about the posts

Your XCOM Grenadier can't hit the broad side of a gosh dang spaceship hangar.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I can see the game they're playing now

Hey remember that rework of the ship we teased you with ?

Well , here it is again

It MIGHT be finished going through the pipeline soon , maybe even in time for 3.0. But maybe not. We don't want to get any hopes up

But maybe your consider pledging a few more dollars just incase ? Thank you loyal citizen

(Give us money, before Chris starts having us model each and every square of space toilet paper)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Meridian posted:

Your XCOM Grenadier can't hit the broad side of a gosh dang spaceship hangar.

perfect

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

D_Smart posted:

poo poo!! WB!! I was wondering where you were.

Here you go. Do your thing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

https://www.diffchecker.com/au6DOJ98

Thanks I needed a weekend break from this thread. Here you go! A little late but whatever. I decided to include a section for tasks marked complete but under-going bug fixing. As that has seems like a conspicuous thing to mention, considering that absolutely NOTHING in this game is bug-free. It seems like their giving themselves an out for delaying or removing features they've claimed to have completed. As always I've tried to write it out in a way that makes it look as bad as possible for CIG, (e.g. "Factual but not Truthful")

July 21st Schedule Report

Completed: 4
Delayed: 10
Remaining: 17 (was 21)
Needs bug-fixing: 13 (was 13)
Total In-progress: 30
Progress since July 14th: 4 out of 34 tasks.
Furthest ETA: Aug 10th (was Aug 10th)

quote:

Since our last update, the team has been busy addressing the feedback from our ongoing Directors reviews. With the various systems being implemented and tested, we’ve discovered a handful of new bugs that have required additional focus.

Completed:

quote:

Item 2.0 Multi Function Displays

Rover and Dragonfly in Ships

StarMap App

Behring P4-AR - Legacy weapon re-work

Delayed:

quote:

Mission Givers - ETA is 28th July (was 14th July)
Reason: The estimate for the mission givers has been pushed back due to some animations requiring rework and newly discovered code dependencies.

Delamar / Levski - ETA is 28th July (was 14th July)
Reason: There is some remaining shop kiosk implementation to be completed for 3.0.0 resulting in a slight delay.

Inventory System Support - ETA is 27th July (was 20th July)
Reason: None given

Entity Owner Manager - ETA is 28th July (was 20th July)
Reason: None Given

Cargo Manifest App - ETA is 27th July (was 20th July)
Reason: Delayed due to complications while hooking up the search bar and transfer popup, but the feature is now code complete and requires some final hookup to Flash.[/b]

Ship Selector App & Insurance Claim - ETA is 3rd August (was 19th July)
Reason: Code is complete and now requires final hookup, but this has been delayed due to the team supporting hint system for designers. Also, the completion date for this feature has moved out in order to support the item 2.0 Multi-Function Displays and Inventory.[/b]

Inventory System - ETA is 27th July (was 20th July)
Reason: Also delayed due to complications while hooking up the search bar and transfer popup, but the feature is now code complete and requires some final hookup to Flash.[/b]

Mission System - ETA is 24th July
Reason: None given

Render to Texture - ETA is 10th August
Reason: None Given

RSI Aurora - ETA is 4th August (was 21st July)
Reason: Implementing the “springy” landing gear on ships, and bug fixing on other ships have delayed the delivery of the Aurora.

Remaining Open:

quote:

- MISSION GIVERS
- DELAMAR / LEVSKI (STRETCH GOAL)
- INVENTORY SYSTEM SUPPORT
- ENTITY UPDATE COMPONENT SCHEDULER
- ENTITY OWNER MANAGER
- CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION
- CARGO MANIFEST APP
- VEHICLE CUSTOMIZER APP
- SHIP SELECTOR APP & INSURANCE CLAIM
- INVENTORY SYSTEM
- COMMS SYSTEM UI
- MISSION SYSTEM
- RENDER TO TEXTURE
- VOLUMETRIC FOG (still scheduled to be completed on June 9th)
- APOCALYPSE ARMS SCOURGE RAIL GUN (still scheduled to be completed on June 9th)
- RSI AURORA
- GEMINI L86 PISTOL

Marked "complete" but undergoing "bug fixing":

quote:

- Item 2.0 Ship Conversion – Part 2
- Insurance
- Doors and Airlocks
- Cargo
- Kiosk Support
- Repair
- Hint System
- Personal Manager App
- Mission Manager App
- Physics Serialization
- Drake Dragonfly
- RSI Constellation Aquilla
- Misc Prospector

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 25, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wouldn't volumetric fog be automatically in place if they had switched to Lumberyard?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wouldn't volumetric fog be automatically in place if they had switched to Lumberyard?

no because they "switched" to a version of lumberyard that was branched from the same exact place CIG originally branched from cryengine, which was pre-volumetric fog, and have mucked the engine so bad with their amateur hour code they'll never be able to merge in any meaningful changes from lumberyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010