Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently Darvish is officially for sale. Would it be insane for the Astros to go after him? We clearly need another starter, you can't expect our schizophrenic bullpen to carry us through october.

Sounds like the Rangers are asking a ton. I don't know what the Astros have to offer but if you're willing to pay that to rent him and go all in, well there's probably no better time than this season to make a move like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

It's really weird how a game that's 95% amazing has such a problem with AI pitchers. They're all super-accurate even in the minors, and a stupid proportion of them throw the same ridiculously good slider.

It feels like there's always a few issues that seem to persist from year to year that despite tons of awareness never get resolved. Curveballs are still strictly inferior to sliders because if you bounce a curveball in the dirt (or hell, even remotely close to the dirt) it's a "wild pitch" and the catcher sits there staring at it for five seconds while the runner moves up, when in any real-life game if you tried to advance on a curveball that bounced right in front of the catcher you're dead meat. Also poo poo with perks still not working since the 2016 version or being worded ambiguously. The game is good but it definitely has a lot of niggling gremlins that detract.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently Darvish is officially for sale. Would it be insane for the Astros to go after him? We clearly need another starter, you can't expect our schizophrenic bullpen to carry us through october.

The Cubs have been known to be in on him for at least a week, but they have *nothing* to cough up. Although, given its Daniels, he'll flip Darvish with like two seconds before the deadline expires.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/889964211811475457

Uhhh no thanks

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It would not be insane and would in fact be a really good pickup but the Rangers are still in spitting distance of the wild card so they can ask for the moon and reasonably just hang onto him if they don't get it :shrug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

This makes me worried that Braves would give up Acuna for Gray.

SEE

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

This makes me worried that Braves would give up Acuna for Gray.

I think/hope Acuna is genuinely untouchable right now, maybe just him and Maitan? They could build a package around arms + Christian Pache but I doubt that would do it.

Really wish they would just stay the course and see who makes the cut. Hell, Kris Medlen might even make it back.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This says they want 2 of the Dodgers top 4 for Darvish.

http://m.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article/244010516/sources-dodgers-interested-in-yu-darvish/

Even if it's the bottom two, that's #'s 58 and 71 according to MLB's mid season list. Two top-100 guys for a rental is steep as gently caress and I don't see the Dodgers doing that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd have to assume the asking price for both Darvish and Gray is fairly astronomical at this point. Wasn't it reported last week that the A's straight up named the price for Gray to the Yankees? That Gray is not currently a Yankee means that price must have been pretty hefty.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If anything I'd love the Astros to help the Marlins relieve themselves of Giancarlo's contract so they can sell the team :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

If anything I'd love the Astros to help the Marlins relieve themselves of Giancarlo's contract so they can sell the team :3:

It would be nice, but kind of a waste. Reddick, Springer, Marisnick, plus Fisher and Tucker in the pipeline and Aoki/Beltran when we're desperate. Even Marwin can play OF.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Things that happened in today's Cubs game:
  • John Lackey hit 3 batters in one inning
  • Kris Bryant got ejected for the first time ever, for arguing this pitch
  • Javy Baez struck out 5 times
  • The Cubs won by 5 runs anyway

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It would be nice, but kind of a waste. Reddick, Springer, Marisnick, plus Fisher and Tucker in the pipeline and Aoki/Beltran when we're desperate. Even Marwin can play OF.

Giancarlo is way better than all of them though

e: A Stanton/Springer/Reddick OF, oh god that makes me drool

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 25, 2017

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Things that happened in today's Sox game:
  • Carlos Rodon got 11 of his 12 outs by the strikeout, matching his career high
  • Rodon also had his first career hit, a 2-RBI double
  • Jose Abreu stole his first base of the year
  • Hawk lost his drat mind and called for someone to beat up Lackey in the parking lot
  • The Sox lost, but still have two more chances to keep the title to the Crosstown Cup

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

When did Hawk make that call so I can listen to it.

Also I looked up at the game briefly today to watch some idiot strike out to garbage, wondered if it was Javy. It was Javy.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Goodpancakes posted:

Also I looked up at the game briefly today to watch some idiot strike out to garbage, wondered if it was Javy. It was Javy.

Slider low and away?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

John Wilkes Booth posted:

• The Sox lost, but still have two more chances to keep the title to the Crosstown Cup

But the Cubs and Sox split last year. :confused:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

But the Cubs and Sox split last year. :confused:

most recent outright winner keeps the cup, they won 3 of 4 in 2014 and 2015-16 were both splits

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Goodpancakes posted:

Just listen to the entire 5th inning starting with Abreu's HBP. He's steamin'.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

most recent outright winner keeps the cup, they won 3 of 4 in 2014 and 2015-16 were both splits

I just looked up a picture of the Cup and I'm really disappointed it's not in the shape of a Red Line train. :mad:

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

I hate swinging at the first pitch, which is something most of the Mets infield (Reyes, Cabrera, Flores) does repeatedly and it makes me so angry.

For all three of them, their OPS on the first pitch is higher than their career OPS. Flores has a career 1.062 OPS on the first pitch.

I tell you this to free you from this anger, so that you have some left for the fleecing of the Mets at the trade deadline.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Jason Benetti, the non-Hawk broadcaster for the Sox, will be doing tomorrow's game of the Crosstown series with David Ross and Rick Sutcliffe on ESPN. Check him out, Benetti is great and will be the permanent PbP guy come next season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Giancarlo is way better than all of them though

Not worth the cost though. In terms of non-pitchers, I'd rather they look at another 1B, maybe even a 3B as well depending on Moran's status after this injury.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

• John Lackey hit 3 batters in one inning
How was he not ejected?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/889842504643825665

please trade the Good Strikeout Boy to a team that isn't a hellhole, thanks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not worth the cost though. In terms of non-pitchers, I'd rather they look at another 1B, maybe even a 3B as well depending on Moran's status after this injury.

How was he not ejected?

Upgrading the lineup is upgrading the lineup and I don't think you're going to easily find a 1B or 3B who's as big an upgrade over what we already have than Giancarlo would be over Marisnick/Aoki

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How was he not ejected?

Not only was he not ejected, but no warnings were issued either. Maddon also left him in the game, did not pull him for a PH in the bottom of the inning with RISP and two outs, and then only pulled him the next inning after he allowed a single and a double to put runners at second and third with no outs.

The Sox reliever very intentionally drilled Happ in the thigh the very next inning though, and that got the umpire to issue warnings. :rolleyes:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

elentar posted:

I think/hope Acuna is genuinely untouchable right now, maybe just him and Maitan? They could build a package around arms + Christian Pache but I doubt that would do it.

Really wish they would just stay the course and see who makes the cut. Hell, Kris Medlen might even make it back.

I would say Acuna is as close to untouchable as you can get in the Braves organization.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

iKickDogs posted:

For all three of them, their OPS on the first pitch is higher than their career OPS. Flores has a career 1.062 OPS on the first pitch.

I tell you this to free you from this anger, so that you have some left for the fleecing of the Mets at the trade deadline.

I would never have guessed this, feels like every time they do it's just a weak grounder to short.

Having said that, when was the last time the Mets were fleeced on a trade? Cespedes, Syndergaard/d'Arnaud, Walker, Wheeler... it feels like the one thing Sandy's unquestionably done well at is trading.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

:getin:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/889842504643825665

please trade the Good Strikeout Boy to a team that isn't a hellhole, thanks.

No way, I want him to be the grizzled vet when Bichette and Vlad Jr are up in 2019.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Javy Baez struck out 5 times

Platinum sombrero?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

question

has a pitcher ever worn sunglasses while in a game? can they?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Abel Wingnut posted:

question

Kent Tekulve (great name BTW) used to wear very tinted glasses but I dunno about straight-up sunglasses.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seems like that'd make it harder to see the catcher's signs

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Guessing there's no rule against it, but the ump could make you remove them if there's any glare deemed distracting to the batter (like Arthur Rhodes and his earrings)

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
White Sox are trading away their last good bullpen piece in Anthony Swarzak, who's going to the Brewers per Heyman.

Our best reliever by WHIP is now Dan Jennings at 1.218, who's basically a LOOGY. Better score some runs! Or don't, just tank all the way baby

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

question

Bruce Maxwell has done it plenty of times. Here's a video of him wearing a pair and taking a ball to the face.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it would be extremely cool to me, if john lackey and hawk harrelson met and hurled each other over the reichenbach falls

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

Having said that, when was the last time the Mets were fleeced on a trade? Cespedes, Syndergaard/d'Arnaud, Walker, Wheeler... it feels like the one thing Sandy's unquestionably done well at is trading.

That's true, but despite his success, the Mets are bad. I feel a frustration-driven overspend coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

does anyone have audio of Hawk Harrelson calling for John Lackey to get beaten up in a parking lot?

• Locked thread