Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

RatHat posted:

Anything for Ratchet and Clank(2016)?

If you're a trophy collector, start hitting every enemy with the Groovitron when you get it (including bosses). There are a few one-time only enemies that don't respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

RatHat posted:

Anything for Ratchet and Clank(2016)?

Beyond what's been said, your melee attack is straight up better than the first couple of guns you get. Just use them to take out enemies that are across pits or flying until you upgrade them/get better ones.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Another good piece of advice for a first time Overwatch player is to make sure and spew racism and homophobia at anybody who gives you advice, and then keep doing whatever it was you were doing in the first place regardless of how ineffective it is.

Hell, that works for any online multiplayer game. Also, make sure you switch from "Bigger Bike" to "Flying Mallard" when mom gets home from work.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 20, 2017

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Any tips for The Forest?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Can I have something for Underrail, please?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pierzak posted:

I've restarted the game two or three times because it's pretty obtuse up front. I'd say that you should specialize in one thing and stick with it. Psionics permanently lower your health so you're not going to want to also do a up close combat build. Crafting requires a lot of synergy in other skills so that's something you'd want to specialize in exclusively as well.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Just started playing Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. I know about bosses scaling to my party level, is there anything else?

Koburn fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 23, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

- If you go Psionic, make sure you take Psychokinesis abilities, there are robot enemies who are immune to Thought Control and Metathermics.
- If you decide to go crafting, then most of the best recipes require multiple crafting skills to make. For example, Tailoring is for making armour, but if you want to make metal armor you'll need Mechanics as well.
- Stealth, Dodge and Evasion do not work with Heavy Armor
- The game doesn't really reward a Jack Of All Trades approach, you should decide what you want to do and stick with it, and not get distracted putting points in skills you won't invest heavily into.
- The game has a ton of Feats, which are unlocked by reaching certain skill/attribute levels. Making good use of Feats si difference between success and failure here, so it pays to plan out in advance what kind of feats you want to go for, so you can pick the right things whe building your character. You can find all the feats listed in game, but the Wiki is really helpful for this.

al-azad posted:

Psionics permanently lower your health so you're not going to want to also do a up close combat build.

I actually completed the game as a Psionic Ninja, Psychokinesis has a ton of abilities that make melee combat viable.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'm a few hours into Fallout 4 and most of the tips on the wiki are about scavenging and settlements, neither of which I really care about. I'm more concerned with accidentally locking myself out of trophy-based missions for the various factions, and having to replay the game potentially 4 times.

How far can I get without screwing myself over?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I just started playing Tales of Berseria. The wiki really does not have much for Tales of Berseria. I don't really understand the combat, so mostly I just choose artes that hit enemies' weaknesses and buttonmash. Is that all there is to combat?

Also: A bonus seems to be unlockable after equipping an item for a long time. Am I correct in thinking this bonus only applies while that item is equipped?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nebrilos posted:

I don't really understand the combat, so mostly I just choose artes that hit enemies' weaknesses and buttonmash. Is that all there is to combat?
that's not a bad way to look at it when you're just starting out. later on, you'll get some fairly fancy artes that hit multiple times but also do weird repositioning poo poo, so if you don't choose them wisely, you might end up punching air because either you or your target is now halfway across the battlefield.

the number one thing to remember about weaknesses is this: elemental resistance trumps everything else. if you use a fire-element attack that's strong against beast-type enemies, it would do "resisted"-strength damage to a beast-type that resists fire.

quote:

Also: A bonus seems to be unlockable after equipping an item for a long time. Am I correct in thinking this bonus only applies while that item is equipped?

mastered bonuses are permanent. after you get a mastery bonus, keeping the item you learned it from equipped will stack the bonuses. if the mastery skill is "invincible for 6 seconds at the start of battle," mastering it and keeping the armor equipped will make you invincible for 12 seconds at the start of battle in total.

mastery points are equal to the amount of Grade you get at the end of a battle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nebrilos posted:

I just started playing Tales of Berseria. The wiki really does not have much for Tales of Berseria. I don't really understand the combat, so mostly I just choose artes that hit enemies' weaknesses and buttonmash. Is that all there is to combat?

Based on what the in-game stuff says, (if I remember correctly), the bonus you get for maxing out that meter on an item gives you the bonus permanently, and if you wear the item it doubles it (since you get the equip bonus + the one you unlocked).

The tutorials in game start walking you through the more complex stuff as they unlock. If you just started playing, it'll explain it better as you go. There's a good reason not to mash (you want to back off and let your points regen periodically), but yeah you want to be hitting weaknesses when you can.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm a few hours into Fallout 4 and most of the tips on the wiki are about scavenging and settlements, neither of which I really care about. I'm more concerned with accidentally locking myself out of trophy-based missions for the various factions, and having to replay the game potentially 4 times.

It pops up a big warning you're about to take quest that'll make you become hostile with a faction, also it isn't really subtle, the quest usually is "go kill all those guys".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Don't worry about scrounging and settlements. For the former, just tag what you need at the workbench. Settlements can be totally ignored, although they are useful.

You can't go 100% on a single playthrough: going too far with one faction lock you out of the others. Fortunately the warnings are obvious.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Anything for Lost Dimension beyond what's already in the wiki? Just started it up and got past the first judgement. I'm noticing a few levels have doors on the map I can't open, is that normal?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Palleon posted:

Anything for Lost Dimension beyond what's already in the wiki? Just started it up and got past the first judgement. I'm noticing a few levels have doors on the map I can't open, is that normal?

I think you can get in those spots later for some files for 100% completion (not as hard as it sounds tbh). Anyway, some stuff about the team since the game's random on who's the traitor and who's not. Since you already know you're gonna play again if you want the good ending, I'd also take a look at the skills since you're gonna end up using a lot of them for each character. (IK = Instant Kill)

Sho:
+ Very good AGI and DEX thanks to passives and his growth.
+ Crits often
+ Has access to Mystic Shot, which can IK any enemy. This is somehow not the most ridiculous thing he has access to.
+ Daydream skips the next Enemy Phase and basically gives you a free turn, but that's probably not gonna happen unless you specifically gun for it or wait until NG+.
- Is boring as hell.
- Will rob any kind of challenge you can get from this game, frankly.
- Always there for a good reason, so you can't avoid the last point.

Himeno:
+ Good at CC and nuking, especially with Searing Blast and Firestorm.
+ Ignition gives her more power with every Pyrokinesis-type skill. This includes Hellfire Miracle (why would you have her use her knife).
+ Can lower her GP and SAN cost once she masters any of the three skill types.
- Ignition only counts for Pyrokinesis-type skills; Combustion-type skills sadly break the chain. This sucks hard since Volcanic Eruption is one of her better ones.
- Ice is meh
- Cannot take a hit

Toya:
+ Pretty ridiculous range with Coil Shot, even if the accuracy is kinda average.
+ Has an SMG. one of the only two, so he has access to wide sweeps for multiple enemies.
+ Well-rounded stats.
- His damage kind of sucks.
- Can stack charges to buff his stats and reduce costs, but if he gets grazed before using anything, they all go away anyway because gently caress you.
- He is somehow duller than Sho in personality.

Mana:
+ loving nuts STR and VIT.
+ Torpedo Fist and Earthcrash gently caress everything that isn't the boss of the level.
- Including your team if they're close.
+ Can passively buff the team's attack if she masters all Overdrive skills.
- The second-last person you want going nuts.
- Probably has the worst MOV stat out of everyone, so you have to either stick her in the front at the start or waste a Defer to get her where she needs to go.

Nagi:
+ Can fly and has a lot of MOV because of it. Probably the best?
+ Has the other SMG, see Toya.
+ Very unlikely she'll get hit thanks to her stats.
- It will suck a lot when she finally gets hit.
- Average damage that doesn't get a lot better as time goes on.
- Has buffs and debuffs that you most likely aren't going to use in the long run.

Sojiro:
+ Only real healer and drat good at it.
+ His final Side-Effects skill makes him become a wild card that can instantly poo poo on any enemy he hits if you're lucky enough.
+ Pretty sturdy for a medic.
- His regular attack is rear end.
- The IK skill he has barely goes off enough for it to be worth it, especially when you could be healing instead.
- The healing will trivialize anything you run into if Sho doesn't.

Zenji:
+ Can force assist attacks even if someone hates him, copy stats, and share healing thanks to linking. This can even extend to sharing Gift skills.
+ Lucidity is a skill that can pretty much make sure he doesn't go berserk as long as the crits keep coming.
+ Pain Sync, Reversal, and Insanity benefits a weakened Zenji getting hit or about to hit someone.
- Very lovely range.
- His shotgun isn't even that strong compared to his teammate's weapons until the endgame stuff becomes available, which makes it more insulting.
- Seriously, gently caress Zenji.

Marco:
+ Up there with Sho and Mana for "toughest guy to kill" thanks to Stop It!, Not This Time!, and naturally good defenses.
+ Stab Them! is good, Pierce Them! makes it great.
+ Has an IK in the form of I'll Get You! that is also fairly damaging if the IK doesn't go off.
- Absolutely the last person you want to go berserk, especially if he has access to Destroy Them!
- No really, he's worse than a berserk Mana.
- Kind of a baby until he gets over himself.

Yoko:
+ Has access to a large amount of buffs and debuffs, especially Brain Hacker which is buffing everything for everyone.
+ Her psychic attacks are respectable.
+ She's not an rear end in a top hat, probably the nicest person on the team.
- Doesn't respond well to getting punched or shot in the face, like Himeno.
- The debuffs kind of suck compared to the buffs she has.
- Might be just personal bias, but she doesn't seem to crit as often as Sho or Marco, the other pistol users.

Agito:
+ Very fast and hard to pin down.
+ Crits like a motherfucker and has an IK skill.
+ Summon Allies is the second-most busted skill in the game.
- Like Nagi, it'll suck to get hit.
- The teleportation effect will gently caress your frame rate if you're playing on a Vita.
- The times he doesn't crit will suck.

George:
+ Very, very basic "big man with sword" so expect him to hit hard.
+ If you manage to get Crusader, the only (not Materia-based) Full Heroism skill he has, congrats because now you can use Full Heroism to lower costs and hit even harder.
+ TRUE AMERICAN PATRIOT
- Doesn't really get good until NG+
- Kinda bad MOV.
- His Analysis stacks will never, ever matter.

Golly, that's a lot. If there's any questions about anything else in the game, go ahead and ask.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Thank you, that's helpful. The only other question i have at this point is Is George going to be the auto/first traitor in ng+, and if so, how can you max his trust since i didn't feel like i had a lot of time there?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Thea: the awakening? I'm having problems with keeping both an "away team" and a defended village.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Palleon posted:

Thank you, that's helpful. The only other question i have at this point is Is George going to be the auto/first traitor in ng+, and if so, how can you max his trust since i didn't feel like i had a lot of time there?

If I remember right, that's only for the first run, as a sort of tutorial. NG+ changes it up.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
Final Fantasy XIV with friends. We decided on this mmo and are doing the trial version, Anyway to make it feel less grindy? Can the early levels be made more enjoyable by choosing a certain starting area or class or job?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nf3 posted:

Final Fantasy XIV with friends. We decided on this mmo and are doing the trial version, Anyway to make it feel less grindy? Can the early levels be made more enjoyable by choosing a certain starting area or class or job?

I don't remember how far along in the main quest you have to go to get easy access between the three major cities, but you can level up every single class on one character, trying new ones if you ever get bored of an old one.

Early on levelling should be pretty quick, and by the time it slows down, your choice of starting city won't matter because you're going to all of them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, there shouldn't be much grind involved in leveling your first class/job. Just focus on the main scenario quests and pick up any feature quests (marked with the small + in the corner of the quest icon) along the way as they unlock new stuff including dungeons. You'll eventually start unlocking features that give big exp boosts as well, like the daily duty finder roulette and the hunting log. You can probably ignore most if not all non-feature sidequests, unless you really want the reward or lack the levels to continue the main story.

I think there's some newcomer-exclusive stuff marked by the leaf icon now as well, but I'm not 100% on the specifics as I haven't done them.

Also I don't know how many friends you have, but instanced content is meant to be played through with 2 damage dealers, 1 healer and 1 tank. If you're less than four, having one healer or one tank or both will speed up your instance queues quite a bit.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Nf3 posted:

Do the main story quest. This trumps everything. You have no inherent XP bonuses as a new player levelling your first job, so all your xp will come from doing your story quests and side quests and dungeons. Also it doesn't matter what you pick because all the starting classes and cities open up at 15 except rogue. So pick something that sounds good, take it to 50 and finish A Realm Reborn. That will open up lots of other stuff and you'll now get a (I think) 100% bonus to all your xp gained on classes under 50. Also make sure you unlock your job at 30 by doing your class quests along the way. Crafters fall under the same rules, and gain xp just like classes. Easiest way to level those is using leves you can pick up from the levemete in each city and settlement.

Edit: oh and make sure you always log out and afk in a town or settlement. If you see a small crescent moon next to your xp bar, you're slowly growing your "sanctuary bonus" represented by a blue bar inside your xp bar. It gives you +50% bonus to all xp gained from stuff like killing monsters and crafting and so on until you consume that little blue bar.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 25, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'd advice against leveling crafters and gatherers until later, they're of little use until the very high levels and leveling them eats a great deal of time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kanfy posted:

I'd advice against leveling crafters and gatherers until later, they're of little use until the very high levels and leveling them eats a great deal of time.

Yes and be aware that while crafting on one class can make you money if you put in the time and effort to take it all the way to the current endgame, the only way to make true mountains of cash doing it is to actually level almost every crafter to at least 50 so you have their various crossclass abilities and can achieve the most high-end crafts at level 70. It's a huge commitment, but basically becomes self sufficient if you do it.

Just keep in mind that it's not necessary at all to enjoy the game and make money though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I bought Enter the Gungeon ages ago and tbh I bounced off it hard. Recently finished 1001% on Binding of Isaac, in the mood for more procedural generation and unlocking things, so I've fired it back up to give it another chance. There was a patch a while back that mitigated some of the issues I had with EtG, but drat I'm still bad at this game.

I've looked at the wiki, and I have 2 questions;

1) Is there one of the starting characters that is considered better than the others, or is pure personal preference? I've been using the convict because of the sawn off shotgun to start, but the game is looser with keys and guns that it used to be so I'm not sure if this is the smart choice to start with.

2) "Don't feel bad if it feels too hard at the start. Most of the decent items are behind unlocks" is good, because I can't at the moment reliably get to the second level and when I do I dont think I've made it past about 5 rooms of the second floor. But what should I be doing to unlock stuff? Like in isaac there are unlocks for all sorts of different things (having enough coins on hand, 3 devil deals in a run, etc) and I'm not sure what I should be doing in EtG to maybe unlock some gear that'll help carry me on a lucky run.

Any other starting advice is welcomed. At the moment I think I mainly need to get better at dodging the boss' attacks and remembering to use blanks when appropriate (which I pretty much never remember to do).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Marine is the most straightforward character thanks to his passive.

You unlock stuff in multiple ways, via achievements, via discoveries in the gungeon, and by unlocking them with credits gained from boss kills.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I like the Hunter a lot, since Dog is a very good passive and the crossbow makes a nice weapon to use throughout most of the game if you don't find anything good for a while.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Palleon posted:

Depending on if the game thinks it's really funny to make him the first traitor again, but that's low odds and I don't think he's allowed to be the first traitor again on the first NG+ run.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nf3 posted:

As the others said, just progress through the main scenario quests. Any side quest you see that's coloured blue with a plus symbol unlocks something for you, so it's worth doing them when you see them as well. Also, if you can, try to hook up with one of the Something Awful free companies, there's three on Excalibur, which is US based, or if you're in Europe there's one on Omega.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
I chose Excalibur because I saw theres goons in it from the OP, but how would I find them on the world stage?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Can someone explain how the FFXIV free trial works? Is it worth trying to do with a friend or two? I hear a lot of things are disabled.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Can someone explain how the FFXIV free trial works? Is it worth trying to do with a friend or two? I hear a lot of things are disabled.

Same exact thing here. Im playing with two friends, we can't party up without a third party. Can't even talk in like general world chat? What about the MSQ, can we do that together, what if one of us buys it? If we have to do the MSQ individually, thats kinda unfortunate.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nf3 posted:

I chose Excalibur because I saw theres goons in it from the OP, but how would I find them on the world stage?

Join one of the 3 free companies. Check the thread in the mmo hmo

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Join one of the 3 free companies. Check the thread in the mmo hmo

Can't on trial. How does the Main Quest work with parties?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nf3 posted:

Can't on trial. How does the Main Quest work with parties?

It doesn't. You'll need to solo alot of it. You are THE main character.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
The short version is it doesn't really. The whole conceit is that you are the one Warrior of Light that's gonna save the world or whatever so multiple people don't factor into it.

Nothing is stopping you from doing the quests while in a party I guess, but you'll all have to talk to quest NPCs individually and the "cinematic battles" you'll fight with NPCs are also instanced to only you and might ask you to drop party first. You might be able to

The party aspects of FFXIV really only comes in with dungeons, FATEs, hunts, trials, raids and path of the damned. But that's really the meat of the game, and quests are largely ignored (with exceptions like Hildebrand and Postmoogle) as opposed to something like WoW where questing was your primary source of XP. It's probably easier to think of the MSQ as a single-player campaign for the game or something. You're also not really progressing zone-to-zone like you would in WoW, while zones have a level range, the story never takes you through a very defined path and frequently has you hopping all over the place.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

SiKboy posted:

I bought Enter the Gungeon ages ago and tbh I bounced off it hard. Recently finished 1001% on Binding of Isaac, in the mood for more procedural generation and unlocking things, so I've fired it back up to give it another chance. There was a patch a while back that mitigated some of the issues I had with EtG, but drat I'm still bad at this game.

I've looked at the wiki, and I have 2 questions;

1) Is there one of the starting characters that is considered better than the others, or is pure personal preference? I've been using the convict because of the sawn off shotgun to start, but the game is looser with keys and guns that it used to be so I'm not sure if this is the smart choice to start with.

2) "Don't feel bad if it feels too hard at the start. Most of the decent items are behind unlocks" is good, because I can't at the moment reliably get to the second level and when I do I dont think I've made it past about 5 rooms of the second floor. But what should I be doing to unlock stuff? Like in isaac there are unlocks for all sorts of different things (having enough coins on hand, 3 devil deals in a run, etc) and I'm not sure what I should be doing in EtG to maybe unlock some gear that'll help carry me on a lucky run.

Any other starting advice is welcomed. At the moment I think I mainly need to get better at dodging the boss' attacks and remembering to use blanks when appropriate (which I pretty much never remember to do).

I was hitting the same wall earlier this year. The bulk of my training was done with the hunter, since her crossbow does fairly good damage at range which imo is useful for the first few bosses.
Keep in mind that if you aren't really aiming to kill your past, then your goal is to do one of the various "sidequests". If you havent gone past the second area, then your first goal is to try and free any npcs on the first two floors to possibly buy unlocjs with credits.

Some specific tips:

• the supply drop update made keys more frequent, but you can game the system a bit. If you dont pick up a key on a floor, then the shop will be guaranteed to have one when you enter it. Since keys cant be taken by the rat, just leave the keys until you get to the shop.
  • dodge is kind of an art. You're better off weaving through patterns and using the environment like BoI.
  • don't be afraid to use your guns. You'll find more.
  • unless a gun in the shop is really good, save your money for good passives or needed pickups, especially if you are just looking to progress.
  • IIRC one chest on the floor will be a gun and the other will either be a pickup or passive.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Geektox posted:

The short version is it doesn't really. The whole conceit is that you are the one Warrior of Light that's gonna save the world or whatever so multiple people don't factor into it.

Nothing is stopping you from doing the quests while in a party I guess, but you'll all have to talk to quest NPCs individually and the "cinematic battles" you'll fight with NPCs are also instanced to only you and might ask you to drop party first.

If I remember correctly, there's a fairly generous buff that turns on if you get murdered in those forced solo sections too many times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Regarding Ff14, most people who play with friends do their own thing until they hit the next major story dungeon and wait for their buddies to unlock it so they can move through it together.

You'll eventually be able to do your daily duty roulette, which you can do with a premade party (this wasn't always the case btw), and this is good xp. Palace of the Dead is the best xp in the game pre 60 that can be done with a party or solo, but you will outlevel your story content. For sure read up on it as it's overly complicated for new players.

Geektox posted:

You're also not really progressing zone-to-zone like you would in WoW, while zones have a level range, the story never takes you through a very defined path and frequently has you hopping all over the place.

Boy does it ever.

Fair warning for anyone actually trying FF14 fresh, Realm Reborn is a bit of a mess with it's main story quest. The game has one hell of a development history behind it and towards the end of the MSQ they did a lot of patches to fatten up the endgame content. Most of this ends up being fluff and bouncing you all over the world for like 90 quests that are pretty meaningless.

Thankfully Heavensward isn't as bloated as A Realm Reborn.