Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Palpek posted:

Apparently it's the same but somehow worse.

Games > Steam Thread: it's the same but somehow worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

Deadlight suuuuuuuuuucks, and I played it long after the last update it got so I'm confident it still suuuuuuuuuuucks. Buggy platforming, lovely combat, stupid story, and a bunch of trial-and-error instant death sections.

This. And probably the worst sewer level in any game I've played.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Croccers posted:

Homefront Rev's is a ok janky hodge-podge game that had neat ideas but didn't/couldn't implement properly.

I'll stand up to bat for Homefront Rev using this post

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Homefront Revolution is better than Homefront, there I said it

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I didn't mind homefront the original. Yeah it's full on ridiculous bullshit but the game understands that aiming and ammo are terrible things so it lets you run around with double light machine guns and not care about either. I'm not sure it's worth downloading much less a dollar, but if you do it on accident and really like call of duty campaigns I'd say it's in the top 75% of those.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Not necessarily Steam-related but definitely :pcgaming: related:

You might soon be able to play your PS3 games on PC. This is Demon's Souls running on an emulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_WiNow_gE

Do we have an emulation thread somewhere? All I can find is the old PS2 emulation thread and it's dead as door nails.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
If gunplay is your thing: The first homefront is boring and dumb--with decent use of music on occasion (Burning Love :supaburn:) and an obnoxious use of similar assault rifles as the entire list of available weapons

Homefront: Rev has a very satisfying shotgun, fun weapons to flip around in, a semi-ish open world to frag mooks all day (until you beat the game), and other than the jank and annoying bugs, I didn't mind getting it for like $25

The DLC and the 'co-op' mode are hot dog-poo poo, though

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Morter posted:

The DLC and the 'co-op' mode are hot dog-poo poo, though

I keep reading hot dog first and being confused. I might have gone for it if it were BTA tier.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I kept thinking Deadlight was Dying Light and I was super excited. :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

monster on a stick posted:

That title is reserved for the new Steam thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Steam Thread: Steamchads 1k games or more Steamcels wait for a sale

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
That humble bundle is great, particularly the dollar tier. The saints row games are perfect mindless fun, I enjoyed every one of them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Foulbrood posted:

Do we have an emulation thread somewhere? All I can find is the old PS2 emulation thread and it's dead as door nails.

I thought emulation came under :filez:, and that's why we don't talk about it anymore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
afaik emulation and the software itself isn't :filez:. it's just a glacial process so there isn't always a lot to talk about. the dolphin emulator thread is still in the live forums, but there just hasn't been anything to say for almost a month. you can, after all, rip isos from your discs and even your own hardware's bios.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Homefront Revolution is better than Homefront, there I said it
Homefront Rev does let you shoot at North Korean's with red, white and blue fireworks.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Homefront Rev is a fun bad game. It's got some good ideas too!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I only played a free weekend of Homefront Revolution but it was definitely more exciting than Waiting For Your Teammates To Walk Through The Door - Simulator aka Homefront 1.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Okay so everyone's talking about how it's cool to have a robot buddy in Titanfall 2

It's great and all but I've found so much fun cloaking, running up to people, and fatally cold-cocking them whilst flinging their ragdoll body 10+ ft away/off a ledge. It's my weapon of choice! :haw:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

afaik emulation and the software itself isn't :filez:. it's just a glacial process so there isn't always a lot to talk about. the dolphin emulator thread is still in the live forums, but there just hasn't been anything to say for almost a month. you can, after all, rip isos from your discs and even your own hardware's bios.

Apparently Breath of Wild runs at 4k on pc.

Emulators are just a weird subject in general because they can preserve old games that are nowhere anymore but also it feels icky sometimes. I guess if you own the system + the game but prefer to emulate it thats reasonable.

Also some of these emulators don't run well even on a high end i7 so your machine needs to amazing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ulio posted:

Emulators are just a weird subject in general because they can preserve old games that are nowhere anymore but also it feels icky sometimes. I guess if you own the system + the game but prefer to emulate it thats reasonable.

nah man i hear that, if it doesn't feel right then that's how it is. my ps2, though, it hasn't been powered on in a decade. my 360, who knows when it'll red ring, it's a fat model and i've had it since 2008 and i really want 360 emulation to mature so i can play lost odyssey again. not every system can be the super nintendo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

nah man i hear that, if it doesn't feel right then that's how it is. my ps2, though, it hasn't been powered on in a decade. my 360, who knows when it'll red ring, it's a fat model and i've had it since 2008 and i really want 360 emulation to mature so i can play lost odyssey again. not every system can be the super nintendo.

Oh ya I want to play that game too never got around it. I wish it was on PC because they did release The Last Remnant on PC which was the same dev.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty much, my playthrough of Drakengard was cut short by my PS2 making a big fart (or a grinding sound, at least) and I just haven't gotten up the motivation to try and nurse it back into fighting shape once again.

This may be a good thing? Well, anyway, it happened.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pretty much, my playthrough of Drakengard was cut short by my PS2 making a big fart (or a grinding sound, at least) and I just haven't gotten up the motivation to try and nurse it back into fighting shape once again.

This may be a good thing? Well, anyway, it happened.

Are you sure that isn't just something that happens in Drakengard

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

pentyne posted:

Steam Thread: Steamchads 1k games or more Steamcels wait for a sale
lmao

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Hey, I've done a draft of the first post for a new thread, which can be found here. I've re-written the website/program recommendations and the initial bullet points, added a section regarding the new trading restrictions, and added Palpek's list of monthly recommendations he compiled for the Summer Sale thread. I'd like some feedback prior to posting, particularly regarding good lists of reviews to add to the Recommendations section, and what goon-run Curator pages I should add somewhere to the page. Also, I would like a more interesting picture at the top than a transparent Steam logo I found via Google.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe menition humble bundle since it always gets brought up here anyway and all the games tend to have STEAM keys.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Palpek posted:

I only played a free weekend of Homefront Revolution but it was definitely more exciting than Waiting For Your Teammates To Walk Through The Door - Simulator aka Homefront 1.

As something that was just a really lovely Far Cry compared to a really shameless rightwing handjob over killing North Koreans, that's not a high bar to pass.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Crabtree posted:

As something that was just a really lovely Far Cry compared to a really shameless rightwing handjob over killing North Koreans, that's not a high bar to pass.

I thought it was getting a hand job over a nice pair of norks.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

I thought it was getting a hand job over a nice pair of norks.

Well its better than getting an RC Bomb car up the tailpipe.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jagged Aliance 2 Gold is on steam with no reviews, and there's also Wildfire and JA2 Classic and a newbie to the series has no idea what to get for a good first time vanilla experience.

Help?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Jagged Aliance 2 Gold is on steam with no reviews, and there's also Wildfire and JA2 Classic and a newbie to the series has no idea what to get for a good first time vanilla experience.

Help?

Do not get a vanilla experience. It will not be good.

Go to the JA 2 thread and figure out how to make it into a fun and working game. In essence, you want JA2 Gold + some version of the 1.13 mod that is new, yet not overloaded with cruft, and then you'll most likely want to turn off a lot of added features.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 26, 2017

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Huh, Rise of the Tomb Raider has been added under the VR category. That would be quite the ride, especially the final level.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

Huh, Rise of the Tomb Raider has been added under the VR category. That would be quite the ride, especially the final level.

It's just the mansion exploring dlc bit.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pyre is positively delightful.

I was initially put off by reviews that said "ITS A SPORTS GAME". I mean, it is and it isn't. The game eases you into the main mechanics quite nicely and a practice mode eventually gets unlocked (this was an initial worry of mine, that there wasn't a practice mode). Its more of a Fantasy-sports-RPG. You characters level up, you get skills but you're playing a 3v3 fantasy football game.

Shame about the lack of online multiplayer. Its a wee bit too cryptic to split screen with someone not familiar with the game.

Definitely play with a controller. The KB+M controls...they're not good. Controller feels quite natural. Supergiant is definitely a console-game maker when it comes to controls.

I'm not too far in, but I'd certainly recommend it to people that enjoyed Bastion and Transistor. Gotta give Supergiant credit, each of their games are quite unique.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
How much of a stickler is Steam on playtime when it comes to refunds?

I just put in a refund for a game that my system says I played for 110 minutes, which is cutting it close, but I dislike the game enough that I really want my money back for it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I just put in a refund for a game that my system says I played for 110 minutes, which is cutting it close, but I dislike the game enough that I really want my money back for it.

It's all automated and it's a cut and dry 120 minutes limit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

that's under 2 hours, you shouldn't have a problem

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tippis posted:

and then you'll most likely want to turn off a lot of added features.

Like the Drassen counter attack

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help?

Honestly, in this day and age I'd recommend getting JA2 Gold and playing vanilla for a few hours until you get the hang of things, and then restart with an older version of 1.13 (like build 4870). The 1.13 devs were always a bit crazy, but starting around 2010 or so they went completely off the deep end, added a bunch of controversial new features and systems, and muddled things up to an extreme level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Rise of the Tomb Raider is pretty good in a sense, but it's a triple A game to a fault. At times it feels more like Checklist Raider.

• Locked thread