Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh man the .96 Gal has really clicked for me, only thing I don't really understand is when to use the sprinkler sub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Good news: if you drop out of b- you can still play league!

Bad news: I'm significantly worse on handheld compared to pro controller!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AfroGunsou posted:

ive gotten the oops! all grillers wave at least half a dozen times today and have never come close to clearing it even once.

taking a strong stance against grillers

They're pretty easy if your team stays on the ball and the people being targeted move to the right place, but if you're playing with randoms god help you

Zelder posted:

I really like the supers in this game, they're more fun to use and less infuriating to go against

Same. They redesigned them all to be less COD killstreaky. Good balance improvement.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Martytoof posted:

I keep tryyying to join the motion control elite but every time it feels so wrong.

One day.

Stick with analogues! Us good stick users should band together before we die out

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Lakbay posted:

Oh man the .96 Gal has really clicked for me, only thing I don't really understand is when to use the sprinkler sub

Look for high places that are hard to spot but is over a large swath of paintable areas. The higher it is, the better. People will tend to go less out of their way to destroy it if it's out of obvious sight or is otherwise hard to shoot at.
You'll want to throw it on the nesting areas whenever you have the ink and aren't busy shooting at someone. The sprinkler slowly loses its painting power so you'll want to refresh it after a little while.

An example spot on the reef that's pretty good:

The top of the trees are also an acceptable spot.

Keep in mind that the surface doesn't necessarily have to be paintable for the sprinkler to stick. Aim high. Also, the orientation of the sprinkler matter.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 26, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pants Donkey posted:

I tried this with the jetpack and nothing. Wish this poo poo was more consistent.

The stingrays big feature is it can shoot through walls. In Salmon Run half the bosses are guarded by cooking pots and random stuff and well, it can totally bypass all that. Scrappers especially.

You just have to pray your team can cover you.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
This time around the ink brush feels really powerful (which is amazing considering how much I dislike rollers this time). I routinely find myself scoring 1300+ in turf battle. It's also great because you don't see too many people with it and you can kill opponents so quick with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I finished the singeplayer campaign. All in all I had a fun time, gonna do the weapons in every level like I said before because I'm a masochist.

I seem to be alone in thinking the final boss was better this time, looking at reactions on-line. Yeah, Octavio did try to be really big in scale in the first game, but it felt like too much of a marathon. This one felt like it was paced better to me.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You just have to pray your team can cover you.
Nothing hurts me more than charging in with a charger covering you and then get immediately splatted in the back because the charger lost interest.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I keep tryyying to join the motion control elite but every time it feels so wrong.

One day.

You'll probably get a million tips on this but I thought I'd share my breakthrough.
  • Play with the Switch in handheld mode. Notice how aiming with the motion controls works like holding up a little window with crosshairs in the center? Play a few rounds like this.
  • Now dock your Switch, take your joy con grip or pro controller, and hold it just like the Switch in handheld mode. Aiming should suddenly feel more natural.
I don't know why but doing that instantly made motion controls "click" with me and my scores shot way up. Maybe it will help someone else. Though, this assumes you weren't already playing in handheld mode.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

How the gently caress do you aim the railgun stingray or whatever

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Poorly

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Know what I just realized, gently caress you Inkzooka I'm glad you're gone.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
7 of my last 10 games have not had everyone in them and I'm getting real tired of seeing this 'rank isn't going to change' message.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Jarogue posted:

Know what I just realized, gently caress you Inkzooka I'm glad you're gone.

I had this exact realization with the exact sentiment yesterday.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

man when someone is good with the charger they're utterly ruthless, one guy with a charger can hold down an uncoordinated entire team pretty well. Two can do it amazingly well. Is there a good counter to that? Especially when they're on elevated ground covering the approaches to each other?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Aim before you shoot, if you need to change targets stop shooting, aim, and shoot again

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shortspecialbus posted:

man when someone is good with the charger they're utterly ruthless, one guy with a charger can hold down an uncoordinated entire team pretty well. Two can do it amazingly well. Is there a good counter to that? Especially when they're on elevated ground covering the approaches to each other?

Flush them out with supers or grenades.

If its turf war, just avoid them and paint everything else.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Kelp Plankton posted:

Aim before you shoot, if you need to change targets stop shooting, aim, and shoot again

Or alternatively attempt to aim, end up firing for a half second and then stop when you notice the beam firing 60 degrees opposite of where your aiming, repeat until special runs out

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Flush them out with supers or grenades.

If its turf war, just avoid them and paint everything else.

The problem I was having is there is this big pillar with a smaller pillar opposite it right at the midpoint of the stage map that's in rotation right now, and if one goes on each side, they can shut off half the map pretty well if they're good. The low one can be killed well enough, and if you see that happen, you can usually paint and climb the tall tower to take out the other guy, but unless you do that towards the end of the map, they'll just get back up and shut down that half of the map again. I don't like that map, it seems really bad for that. I haven't found a different way around yet, maybe I need to look harder.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

The problem I was having is there is this big pillar with a smaller pillar opposite it right at the midpoint of the stage map that's in rotation right now, and if one goes on each side, they can shut off half the map pretty well if they're good. The low one can be killed well enough, and if you see that happen, you can usually paint and climb the tall tower to take out the other guy, but unless you do that towards the end of the map, they'll just get back up and shut down that half of the map again. I don't like that map, it seems really bad for that. I haven't found a different way around yet, maybe I need to look harder.

Yeah there's almost assuredly some wall you could paint to flank that you're missing. You have to think far more three-dimensionally in splatoon than most FPS and I still miss some routes sometimes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I don't miss the inkzooka or inkstrike but boy is the baller a huge huge huge nerf to the kraken

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I seem to be alone in thinking the final boss was better this time, looking at reactions on-line. Yeah, Octavio did try to be really big in scale in the first game, but it felt like too much of a marathon. This one felt like it was paced better to me.

Absolutely this. It took me ages to beat Ocavio in 1, I'd gently caress up near the end and just get super frustrated.

In the final phase against Octavio in 2 I failed utterly and resorted to googling, feeling like an utter un-fresh idiot. I couldn't figure out how to aim the drat Rainmaker, until I read just charge the loving thing and you can still jump while holding a charge.

It's the little things that really get me though. When Octavio fires off the bomb rush, they fire with the beat of the music. Super loving cool.

I've been having such bad luck with turf war, I have yet to see anything other than Dry. Everytime I get on a good streak I end up on a team with a disconnector, or someone who manages like 100 points. Every goddamn time. Earlier tonight I triple killed the enemy team at the 30 second mark or so, and we still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Coming in from behind and rolling in between two squids just dumping in your team's direction before exploding with the ball is never not funny though

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

1) splashdown in splat zones is quite possibly the rudest poo poo i've ever partaken in, it's so good

I just used it in Tower and won a match because of it. It splatted 3 squids and I roller the other guy. I had to stop playing because I could stop laugh.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The splatling cannon is such a beautiful weapon

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I finished the singeplayer campaign. All in all I had a fun time, gonna do the weapons in every level like I said before because I'm a masochist.

I like both final bosses about the same, I didn't like the first bit of music for this one at first until repeat listens because I didn't realize it was a remix of the songs Callie and Marie's amiibos play because I only listened to them like, once, so I was like "what is she singing this is weird."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

????????

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
The zappers pretty good for tower control - a nice all around gun with suction bombs for smacking the other team off the tower (I won 3 games in a row by retaking the tower in overtime using them) and armors nice.

The people who got the most kills were usually bucket users though.

I went directly from C- to B- after ranking up, i'm impressed the game accurately judged me to be a scrub but not too much of a scrub.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
So if you're lucky enough, a Scrapper will push a Steelhead's bomb halfway across the map, splattering you against the wall as your other surviving teammate boards the lift ahead of you.

Any other gross boss synergies like this?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh my god the stingray in rainmaker mode is actually really loving gross.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i have bad news friends, i realized squid ddr (ika radio) gives little silver/gold squid medals based on if you hit every note and if you hit every note with perfect timing respectively

i don't think these medals do anything whatsoever but they're there and i love rhythm games, so it was nice knowing you all but i don't think you'll see my name in multiplayer again

Jarogue posted:

I just used it in Tower and won a match because of it. It splatted 3 squids and I roller the other guy. I had to stop playing because I could stop laugh.

turns out using an aoe attack in a mode where everyone is encouraged to group up in a small area is Extremely Good

each time i'd charge up special i'd back off a bit and super jump to someone on the point to give the attackers the Rude Dunk, frequently got triple kills

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do the league battle medals do anything? It's probably my favorite way to play even though it's extremely difficult to actually play well against the ruthless lagging Japanese, but just curious if there is any reward beyond the thrill of battle.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Is there really only two splatling guns in game? All I'm seeing in sheldon's shop is the first basic one, and a greyed out one gated at level 23 or something

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Is there really only two splatling guns in game? All I'm seeing in sheldon's shop is the first basic one, and a greyed out one gated at level 23 or something

There will be more.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i have bad news friends, i realized squid ddr (ika radio) gives little silver/gold squid medals based on if you hit every note and if you hit every note with perfect timing respectively

i don't think these medals do anything whatsoever but they're there and i love rhythm games, so it was nice knowing you all but i don't think you'll see my name in multiplayer again

ive spent an obscene amount of time in squid beatz, ive got silver in most everything but only gold in a few because my fingers get all twisty

this is all on normal though, my hands seize up on difficult and i start getting the bends

(the music in this game is so good)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
God taking out a bunch of squids in a team fight with the dualies dodgeroll-> focus fire is so fun.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Smiles posted:

ive spent an obscene amount of time in squid beatz, ive got silver in most everything but only gold in a few because my fingers get all twisty

this is all on normal though, my hands seize up on difficult and i start getting the bends

(the music in this game is so good)

i've been playing on hard and boy let me tell you even as someone who has played a Metric Fuckload of rhythm games and is generally Very Good at them, ika radio on hard is EXTREMELY HARD. i've only got a couple silvers at most and ONE gold (match victory theme).

do you also have a bunch of songs that aren't unlocked? wondering when they'll show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, just had a Rainmaker round where they got pretty close to our base with it before we stopped them... and then the guy on our team who grabbed it proceeded to continue running it back to our base :psyduck:. We had to chase him with "THIS WAY!"'s to get his attention.

Still won in the end though :smuggo:.