Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's funny cuz this is posted on somethingawful dot com

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
So I'm apparently the worst player ever at this game. Consistently bottom of whatever team I'm on, a negative win curve in standard, and trying out ranked I managed to break the tube and reach whatever it is that you get for losing 8 despite winning only once.

Am I just not squid enough for this game? The only gun I've felt like I can do anything with is the splatling gun due to being able to somewhat survive more by keeping my distance but my aim is still trash despite motion controls. I've tried nearly everything so far and they all felt like I was doing something horribly wrong with them. I just don't know...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe focus more on painting and less on splatting people? (in Turf War obv)

My aim isn't great and I know it can get hella frustrating when it seems like there's ALWAYS AN ENEMY WHEREVER YOU FUCKIN TURN but I can also usually get good scores from painting like crazy.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

From my one evening of playing turf wars, killing enemies is only something to be worrying about when they're standing on the surface you want to paint.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The translations of "He Does It!" is killing me.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Also completely vertical walls don't count towards winning so don't bother painting them unless you need to immediately climb up it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shortspecialbus posted:

From my one evening of playing turf wars, killing enemies is only something to be worrying about when they're standing on the surface you want to paint.

Yep. Lots of people think this is deathmatch but its not. Killing players puts them out of the game for a bit of time and makes them respawn, but otherwise its secondary. Especially on objectives like rainmaker pushing the objective is way more important than chasing kills on side players.

shortspecialbus posted:

Also completely vertical walls don't count towards winning so don't bother painting them unless you need to immediately climb up it.

Yep.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

I'm a non-ranked scrublord, how does Rainmaker work?

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Do we know what the matchmaking in Turf Mode is like? I feel like the range of skills I see is super wide. Does it just group whoever is on into teams it roughly thinks has the same chance of winning, no matter who the people are? Or does it group by like-skill?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Re: Rainmaker
You go and shoot it until it pops, then grab it and run to the enemy base for a touchdown. The person carrying the Rainmaker can use it to shoot, but there is a limit to how long you can carry it. When the limit is up or the carrying player is splatted, the Rainmaker is dropped on the ground and must be shot at again before being picked up. It's a shitshow at rank C- that's for drat sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mystery Machine posted:

Do we know what the matchmaking in Turf Mode is like? I feel like the range of skills I see is super wide. Does it just group whoever is on into teams it roughly thinks has the same chance of winning, no matter who the people are? Or does it group by like-skill?

Somewhere in between. It tries to group by like skill but it also tries to put you into a game asap, and mostly tries to self-balance within a lobby across matches.

With ranked its all about skill, it'll only match you with people within your range. We don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if turf war has a bigger range; the ranks are invisible though so its all a guess.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

do you also have a bunch of songs that aren't unlocked? wondering when they'll show up

yea 20-26 are locked and probably the splatfest songs, the ones 35 and above you unlock with the amiibos (splatoon 1 tracks and callie/marie solos)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You can unlock songs?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Smiles posted:

the ones 35 and above you unlock with the amiibos (splatoon 1 tracks and callie/marie solos)

frantically scanning my amiibos tomorrow

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This loving meme makes me laugh way harder than it should.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't wait to see what my prize for collecting all the sunken scrolls is!

Oh its nothing!

Fantastic! :shepicide:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh its nothing!

your prize is you get to read all the sunken scrolls hth

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Splatoon's lore is a good enough prize, we get to see inkling Instagram, learn Pearl raps because she can't sing for poo poo, and find out the salmonids are considered by many inkling religions to be the sign of the end times.

I love Splatoon's stupid idiot lore for dumb morons.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh its nothing!

You got a bunch a stories.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh heads up to Salmon Runners; while your Profeshional score can rise infinitely, company policy apparently resets it to 40/99 at the start of every new run. Why? Hell if I know. My dream of becoming the ultimate employee is mostly dashed now that I can't inflate my ego with a ridiculous number. This was all I had going for me in Splatoon 2 since I apparently suck at turf war now! :saddowns:

Kaubocks posted:

your prize is you get to read all the sunken scrolls hth

I could of just looked them up on youtube and not wasted about half an hour trying to figure out how to get scroll 25 alone. At least that was the only extremely bullshit one. I thought I would at least get something though, like a piece of octoling gear.

So how do I get the hero replicas unlocked for turf war? I assume I have to beat a certain number of levels with the weapon equipped.

VVV every level? :cripes:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 26, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I think its all the single player levels per weapon.

Also:

lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I actually won some games with the Octobrush and felt kinda great about it. I think I finally found a weapon that clicks for me.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

All of them.

Maybe don't do it for the Hero Umbrella yet.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Boy howdy 3 a.m. EST is a great time to get loving wrecked by players much, much better than I am

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

Boy howdy 3 a.m. EST is a great time to get loving wrecked by players much, much better than I am

I feel you. This must be when the Japanese splat jedis get home and start their reign of terror. Lost 11 games in a row and all of them had some insane guy with 12-16 kills on the other team.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Blank Construct posted:

I think its all the single player levels per weapon.

Also:

lol

She has sponsors, she probably has more cash than the rest of her family combined.

Unless Pearl is the squid version of Gary Coleman.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So how do I get the hero replicas unlocked for turf war? I assume I have to beat a certain number of levels with the weapon equipped.

VVV every level? :cripes:
Recently EAD has developed some kind of fetish for making you do hours of busywork for a minor reward. See Mario 3D World, which made you complete every stage with a character (who don't play all that much differently) to unlock a loving stamp of them. In 3D Land I think it was worse because they hid the final level behind that poo poo.

Splatoon might have gotten away with maybe one extra playthrough since weapons can vary enough to make it a fresh experience, but not eight or however many loving times.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I've lost 3 ranked matches in a row. My... my rank bar is cracking.

Am I going to drop to D+? :ohdear:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
This Cold Blooded ability sounds terrible but dammit these shoes match with my biker jacket

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
If you have the ball, please do not run towards our own goal :(

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

WarpedNaba posted:

She has sponsors, she probably has more cash than the rest of her family combined.

Unless Pearl is the squid version of Gary Coleman.

I hope there are really depressing pictures of her in a few years, signing a copy of Sonic Forces and a Switch to put up on eBay.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ahhhhhh every single time I am one win away from getting the Aerospray to the rank above Fresh I get on a massive losing streak ITS FUCKIN DRY RIGHT NOW

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

A little rusty but I'm back in business

Also Scuba Ninja

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Soooooo....why are the other game modes in ranked only?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Soooooo....why are the other game modes in ranked only?

The thinking is probably to get people used to the game first. Ranked modes are the type that demand some teamwork and familiarity with the weapons, so dumping pubbies straight into those kind of games would only end in tears. Also the competitive nature of the modes in Ranked battles might be too much for some.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Someone earlier in the thread suggested switching your stick sensitivity to maximum, and I (after getting used to it) found it really enjoyable.

Inking the spawn with the aerospray is super quick now, and turning around to shoot someone chasing me is so much easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

The thinking is probably to get people used to the game first. Ranked modes are the type that demand some teamwork and familiarity with the weapons, so dumping pubbies straight into those kind of games would only end in tears. Also the competitive nature of the modes in Ranked battles might be too much for some.

Also you gotta remember that a good portion of Splatoon's playerbase are kids. Turf War's simple enough that anyone can figure it out, but the Ranked Mode matches do require a bit of coordination and understanding of the mechanics. Ranks keeps the relative skill levels reasonably filtered to where they should be.

On a side-note, I really hate Mothership rounds in Salmon Run. Geyser ones too. There's just too many moving parts to get people understanding, without voice chat, what they need to be doing for something that wasn't mentioned in the loving tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also you gotta remember that a good portion of Splatoon's playerbase are kids.

is this actually true? People seem to talk about how it's aimed at kids but are they actually more represented in Splatoon than say, Overwatch/CoD/BF?