Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Opinway: Who's someone who's been by only once - but you wish they'd come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Everyone else: No more submissions. Thanks to everyone who submitted, some difficult choices now!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Captain Foo posted:

Opinway: Who's someone who's been by only once - but you wish they'd come back?

There was this lady, one day, called herself Mars. Said she'd won an invitation in a poker game. She was kind of ragged -- worn-out jeans and a lovely jacket, not exactly up to our par -- but she had a pleasant smile and those little round sunglasses you see on models in old newspaper ads, and she did have an invitation, no matter how dubiously she got it, and she handed in her guns at the door neat-as-you-please. So we let her sit and drink a little of the New Coke reserve (since that's the least popular drink we have).

It wasn't a mistake. Mars enthralled the clients -- hell, she enthralled us -- with these stories, ones she could tell about everything she'd ever seen -- pilgrims who hiked along old rail systems, who were hunting her for stealing their God; spelunking in caves out West that never saw the sun, and finding rooms full of inscrutable stuff, higher than the highest-tech we've ever heard of; witnessing an honest-to-god missile launch , ramming it with her car and sending it pinwheeling into the ocean... God, it was all incredible, beautiful, insane, and we were all just sitting there listening to her talk and bringing her more and more to drink and eat and just saying "So what happened next?" Until she begged off and left.

Haven't seen her since. But I want Mars back. I want her on my staff, giving the people what they want.

And I want her to pay off her enormous friggin' tab.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks everyone for applying, this was a very difficult set of decisions.

However, joining us this time around will be:

Red, the Battlebabe, played by quiggy.
Vault the Steeplejack, the Gunlugger, played by Comrade Gorbash
The Mayor, the Savvyhead, played by Mister Bates
SeaDee See, the Angel, played by PoultryGeist
Magnificent Max, the News, played by Vulpes Vulpes

The five of you: please start doing your Hx and hopefully we'll get the game started tonight or tomorrow morning.
The rest of you: feel free to stick around.

I'll be using this thread as an ooc/discussion thread once the game proper starts.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask 1, 2 or all 3:

• Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me?
For that character, write Hx-2.

I feel like Max is the most natural option here. SeaDee See could be a very interesting option since it's not what we'd expect, though. Red maybe, but...

• Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me?
For that character, write Hx+2.

...Red seems like the best choice here.

• Which one of you is prettiest and/or smartest?
For that character, write Hx+3.

Let's be honest, this is The Mayor.

-------------------

While I'm thinking about it, here's a bit on how I'm imagining steeplejacks.

Steeplejacks are basically Stalkers from Shadow of Chernobyl crossed with urbex enthusiasts. There's no steeplejack order or union or whatever. But like Stalkers, there's sort of a natural camaraderie and professional respect alongside the competition and rivalry. Not always - there's plenty of blood feuds between 'jacks too. Basically since 'jacks are generally well armed crazy people who willingly do insanely dangerous things mostly for kicks, there's a sort of shared culture born of both shared experience and the fact that otherwise they'd all end of up killing each other. Which happens periodically anyways.

There's no steeplejack uniform, but they do share a lot of equipment so they're usually pretty easy to spot in a crowd. Big mountaineer backpacks, lots of rope and climbing gear, harnesses they can strap poo poo down on, gas masks and goggles of some kind, and a lots of weapons - usually something to snipe with and something for close encounters. The quality of that gear varies wildly though, from newb kids getting by with junk rifles and sawed offs, home made masks and ski goggles and frayed ropes, up to badasses like Vault who have salvaged before-time pro grade gear.

Typically 'jacks don't think getting by with lovely gear is a virtue. Newbs who can't afford the good stuff posture this way, but they toss the low-grade stuff the minute they can upgrade. The one exception is the legendary Ma Cham, a tiny woman from some mountainous far away place who didn't use any climbing gear at all, carried a rusty bolt gun and a revolver, and was twice as crazy and twice as tough as anyone else. She's sort of a Davy Crockett or Simo Hayha folk hero for steeplejacks, though no one's seen her in decades. (As a note, Ma Cham is an old Sherpa mountain guide, though most folks in the Dead City wouldn't know what that means).

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 25, 2017

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask the other players which of their characters you can trust.
  • For the characters you can trust, write Hx-1.
  • For the characters you can’t trust, write Hx+3.
I've got some ideas for these but I also don't want to step on other people's toes. Long story short I suspect I can trust Vault and SeaDee See, but not Max. Legitimately no idea whether I can trust the Mayor or not.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

• Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me?
For that character, write Hx+2.

...Red seems like the best choice here.

Remember that time, few years back, you pissed off a few rival steeplejacks? Weren't long after that you found me in that hellhole brothel, realized right quick I was a crack shot even if I don't look it. We ran for a few weeks and killed more goons than I can possibly remember. Got me a gun for my troubles too, my beloved Ballbuster, taken right off the body of some guy you called Badger the Sane. Still don't wanna follow your rear end up to the tops of those towers, but I wouldn't mind shooting a few more idiots in the junk with you some day so long as we stay right down here on terra firma.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 25, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

You can trust Vault. She's a blunt instrument, not one to scheme or hide what she thinks of you. Oh, she'll put a shiv in you in an instant if you piss her off, but she'll do it from the front, not the back.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask either or both:
Which of you is the most strange?
For those characters, write Hx+1.
In other words, who sees the world the least like the Mayor does?

Which of you is the biggest potential problem?
For that character, write Hx+2
In other words, which one of you is the most likely to break poo poo that wasn't already broken?

quiggy posted:

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask the other players which of their characters you can trust.
I've got some ideas for these but I also don't want to step on other people's toes. Long story short I suspect I can trust Vault and SeaDee See, but not Max. Legitimately no idea whether I can trust the Mayor or not.

I've got one goal, fix the city, and one big absolute no-no, don't hurt the goddamn city. Up to you whether that makes me more trustworthy or less trustworthy.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

• Which one of you is prettiest and/or smartest?
For that character, write Hx+3.

Let's be honest, this is The Mayor.

Sounds good to me.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

quote:

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask each other character in turn:
• Can I count on you to tell me the truth?
If they say yes, cool, write Hx+1.
If they say no, write Hx+2. You scrutinize what you don’t trust.

Mister Bates posted:

Which of you is the most strange?
For those characters, write Hx+1.
In other words, who sees the world the least like the Mayor does?

Max sees the world for the stories it creates, the wetware of the city vs. the hardware the Mayor seems interested in, so that might be an option.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

• Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me?
For that character, write Hx-2.

I feel like Max is the most natural option here. SeaDee See could be a very interesting option since it's not what we'd expect, though. Red maybe, but...

"A year ago, I wrote some...controversial twists into The Story. A long-term, well-loved character died, you remember. People were upset, which is, of course, the function of good art. To elicit a reaction, you understand. However someone took it personally and apparently hired a steeplejack to kill me. Whoever it was, missed. I shot back and lit out of there as if the very hounds of hell were after me. Did I hit them? I believe so, by the sound of it. Did they live? My dear boy, I didn't slow down enough to find out."

quiggy posted:

I've got some ideas for these but I also don't want to step on other people's toes. Long story short I suspect I can trust Vault and SeaDee See, but not Max.

Sure, I guess that works. Max would prefer to keep as much distance as possible between himself and a notorious drug-addict rip and runner.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
SeaDee See, the Angel

• Which one of you do I figure is doomed to self-destruction? For that character, write Hx-2.
-I’m thinking Red fits the bill here, if that’s cool.

• Which one of you put a hand in when it mattered, and helped me save a life? For that character, write Hx+2.
-Max perhaps, helping out when I made a housecall to Gull Hill?

• For everyone else, write Hx+1. I keep my eyes open.

(No question #3, I’m thinking SeaDee See is an outsider)

Red: SeaDee lives by a Code that dictates how she deals with her patients. Yes, she can be trusted.

Magnificent Max: Lying takes up brain-power that could be better used coming up with more efficient treatments. So why would I bother?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Fine with me!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Max sees the world for the stories it creates, the wetware of the city vs. the hardware the Mayor seems interested in, so that might be an option.

With a powerful enough receiver - and I've sure as poo poo got a powerful enough receiver - you can still pick up a few things over the airwaves, most of it irrelevant. Automated emergency broadcast systems, beeps and pings and other fun noises from various bits of old tech still up and running, the endlessly-looped last moments of some poor dying bastard long ago. Back when my SSTV setup still worked, every once in a while I'd get grainy pictures of some rock-covered reddish deserty place coming in from a source the directional-receiver pegged as being up somewhere, that was pretty neat. All of it fascinating, but it usually doesn't hold my attention for very long. There's too much to do.

The Story's the one big exception. Picked it up by accident a while back and have been tuning in ever since. It's such an odd way of seeing the world, a totally new fuckin' perspective. Talks about a side of the city I've never even seen. None of it makes any sense, but that's part of the fun, y'know? It's like a puzzle. Maybe it'll click someday. Until then it's something weird to mull over while I'm doing the Work. Count me as a loyal listener.

Also, the Mayor is a pretty straightforward person and doesn't really have the social graces required for deception or manipulation, so you can pretty well count on her to tell the truth.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nice! When your hx is all filled in, post it, and we'll do highlights and get started.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PoultryGeist posted:

• Which one of you do I figure is doomed to self-destruction? For that character, write Hx-2.
-I’m thinking Red fits the bill here, if that’s cool.

Makes sense to me!

Mister Bates posted:

I've got one goal, fix the city, and one big absolute no-no, don't hurt the goddamn city. Up to you whether that makes me more trustworthy or less trustworthy.

Don't much care to save it or hurt it. Definitely haven't always been it's biggest advocate, y'know?

That leaves me at:

pre:
Hx:
Max +3
Mayor +3
SeaDee -1
Vault -1

quiggy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 26, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Which of you is the biggest potential problem?
For that character, write Hx+2
In other words, which one of you is the most likely to break poo poo that wasn't already broken?
Red may be the most self destructive, but Vault does make her business to break into hidden places in the city and scavenge stuff. So I think Vault would probably fit this bill.

That'd give me:

Max-2
The Mayor+3
Red+2
SeaDee See-1

So the Mayor has my highlight.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Vault +2
Max +1
SeaDee Sea -1
Red -1

Vault has my highlight

Vault, stay Sharp

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Just how Weird is The Mayor really?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

quote:

Hx
SeaDee +1
Red
The Mayor +1
Vault

Red and Vault, can I count on you to tell me the truth?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Max: +2
Red: -2
Vault: +1
The Mayor: +1

Max, give me a highlight

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

PoultryGeist posted:

Max, give me a highlight

Best stay sharp as those scalpels, Dr. See

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

What Vault tells you is true, but she sure doesn't volunteer anything she doesn't absolutely have to. I think in the spirit of the question, that's more of a no. It's at least giving Max the run-around, and probably ultimately lies of omission.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

"A year ago, I wrote some...controversial twists into The Story. A long-term, well-loved character died, you remember. People were upset, which is, of course, the function of good art. To elicit a reaction, you understand. However someone took it personally and apparently hired a steeplejack to kill me. Whoever it was, missed. I shot back and lit out of there as if the very hounds of hell were after me. Did I hit them? I believe so, by the sound of it. Did they live? My dear boy, I didn't slow down enough to find out."
I see what you're going for here but I think it raises an unintended problem. Namely, the way this is laid out Vault would still be trying to kill Max. That could be interesting but I don't think it was what you were aiming for.

Potentially the contract could have been pulled, but every angle I come up for that seems really convoluted.

We could play it as a bit of a misunderstanding - Vault was doing something other than trying to kill Max, despite his impression, so she doesn't need to kill him, just make him miserable in some way as revenge for winging her and bailing.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Tit for tat. You get truth if you give truth.

Let's see what the Mayor says for my highlight.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I see what you're going for here but I think it raises an unintended problem. Namely, the way this is laid out Vault would still be trying to kill Max. That could be interesting but I don't think it was what you were aiming for.

Potentially the contract could have been pulled, but every angle I come up for that seems really convoluted.

We could play it as a bit of a misunderstanding - Vault was doing something other than trying to kill Max, despite his impression, so she doesn't need to kill him, just make him miserable in some way as revenge for winging her and bailing.

Haha sure...perhaps Vault was after someone else and Max, being Magnificent, assumed she was after him?

You also have my highlight.

quote:

Hx
SeaDee +1
Red +1
The Mayor +1
Vault +2

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 26, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Haha sure...perhaps Vault was after someone else and Max, being Magnificent, assumed she was after him?
That works, we can find out exactly what was really going on ~in play~.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

You also have my highlight.
I don't buy that act, Max plays as Hard as the rest of us.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

quiggy posted:

Tit for tat. You get truth if you give truth.

Let's see what the Mayor says for my highlight.

You've gotta be a bit Weird to thrive these days.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 26, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Red: thrive on the weird, but never forget how cool you are.

The Mayor: you're plenty weird, but this is a world where you might have to be hard to get what you want.

Magnificent Max: you might have a hard edge, but let's just see how hot that mic can get.

Vault: you've been told to stay sharp, and I want to see if you're as hard as you think you are.

SeeDee See: sharp as a scalpel, cool as ice.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Dead City lives.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
One of the things the Savvyhead's supposed to do when starting play is to pick a Project they're working on at the start of play; should I do that here in the OOC thread or do that in the first post in the IC thread?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The News doesn't even start with enough barter to satisfy the opening session move! I guess I'm answering some questions, unless I can be doing a gig/rolling a Rally To The Cause to get a little more scratch.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mister Bates posted:

One of the things the Savvyhead's supposed to do when starting play is to pick a Project they're working on at the start of play; should I do that here in the OOC thread or do that in the first post in the IC thread?

Might as well do it IC

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The News doesn't even start with enough barter to satisfy the opening session move! I guess I'm answering some questions, unless I can be doing a gig/rolling a Rally To The Cause to get a little more scratch.

Roll for Rally the Cause, and we'll see where we go from there.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Haha I got Ombudsman and Comptroller mixed up, looks like I have two assholes working for me with dumb names now!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 28, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

This is awesome, but I'm going to be a jerk and say her name is actually SeaDee See :)

I probably should have foreseen this and just went with the actual letters, oh well

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Whoops! It's mostly that it switches how the "c" got spelled.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 28, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Whoops! It's mostly that it switches how the "c" got spelled.

Yeah, I thought it would be amusing in a 'post-literacy medical profession' way, but its probably just silly :) Thanks!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jesus I didn't even get the pun until now :cripes:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I am however phone posting and out of town for the weekend so I don't anticipate really being able to update until Sunday night at best, sorry all

• Locked thread