Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

well why not posted:

is this actually true? People seem to talk about how it's aimed at kids but are they actually more represented in Splatoon than say, Overwatch/CoD/BF?

You answered your own question there, regarding how I described it being designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The fact that something is aimed at kids doesn't necessarily mean that is the market that it finds the most traction in though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

The fact that something is aimed at kids doesn't necessarily mean that is the market that it finds the most traction in though.

Absolutely true, but my point was that it explains why the game itself is designed the way it is.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

I feel like we shouldn't have won.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I don't know for how young the game is aimed at, but it is extremely Japanese with how it's taking cues from Japanese urban fashion.

I would go and say it has a wide appeal across age demographics rather than just being aimed at kids. God knows how old rank S+ players are.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Splat Brella is pretty cool. Can't wait til it comes to multiplayer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So Splatoon 2 sold half a million copies in Japan in two days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

So Splatoon 2 sold half a million copies in Japan in two days.

That probably needs an asterisk next to it due to the massive queues for a chance to obtain a Switch in Japan right now. Along with stock availability in-store for the game itself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, like, I'm talking about sold copies of the game, not the console. I'm not sure why you'd need to asterisk something else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, like, I'm talking about sold copies of the game, not the console. I'm not sure why you'd need to asterisk something else.

Pretty sure you'd need the console to play the game, for one thing. Nevermind digital purchases.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, even if it sold well without the console, it speaks towards the demand for this thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, even if it sold well without the console, it speaks towards the demand for this thing.

I wasn't arguing that, just that given the supply to meet demand it'd probably be higher.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure you'd need the console to play the game, for one thing. Nevermind digital purchases.

No poo poo. But why are you assuming people who don't own the console are even buying it :psyduck:

edit: maybe that's not what you're saying but I don't understand what you're trying to say here at all or what this has to do with the sales figures of this game

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BattleMaster posted:

No poo poo. But why are you assuming people who don't own the console are even buying it :psyduck:

There were more copies of BotW sold than there were Switches for a while.

I think that Splatoon will probably end up the same way to some degree.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Takoluka posted:

There were more copies of BotW sold than there were Switches for a while.

I think that Splatoon will probably end up the same way to some degree.

Wasn't that because there was also a Wii U version?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

edit: maybe that's not what you're saying but I don't understand what you're trying to say here at all or what this has to do with the sales figures of this game

He's trying to say that those figures can actually be considered LOW due to the demand for Switches.

At least I think. It isn't the best phrasing, I'll admit.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

senpai noticed me (>∀<)

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Aerospray is easily negated by an actual offensive class who knows what they're doing (deaths create a huge splat that can really turn the tide in the last 10 seconds) which makes it all the more frustrating that you're not allowed to swap out your gear while currently in a lobby.

Indeed. Any Splatershot, Blaster or Dualies will cut down an Aerospray user before they land a hit on you. Even the regular Slosher outranges it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Escobarbarian posted:

He's trying to say that those figures can actually be considered LOW due to the demand for Switches.

At least I think. It isn't the best phrasing, I'll admit.

Pretty much this, yes.

Smiles posted:

senpai noticed me (>∀<)

Marie thinks the male Squidkids are dumb and stinky :argh:.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Smiles posted:

senpai noticed me (>∀<)

Sometimes I think about the world where Callie won the last Splatfest and the roles in the single player campaign were reversed, and I throw up a little in my mouth

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whenever I lose it's because everybody is a 9 year old who can't play their loving class but when I win Splatoon is mlg, high level, thinkies esports, hobby grade choice + epic!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Sometimes I think about the world where Callie won the last Splatfest and the roles in the single player campaign were reversed, and I throw up a little in my mouth

The wrong squid sister won. Callie got hosed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The GIG posted:

Splatoon's lore is a good enough prize, we get to see inkling Instagram, learn Pearl raps because she can't sing for poo poo, and find out the salmonids are considered by many inkling religions to be the sign of the end times.

I love Splatoon's stupid idiot lore for dumb morons.

It's hosed up that the Octolings will put freshly cut tentacles into machines so as they grow and become aware they merge with the machines, creating sentient creatures that exist only to stamp

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

It'd still be the same, because no-one would want to rescue Marie :colbert:.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's hosed up that the Octolings will put freshly cut tentacles into machines so as they grow and become aware they merge with the machines, creating sentient creatures that exist only to stamp

Which Sunken Scroll actually explains the whole sentient tentacle thing, out of curiosity?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone give me roller tips. I was good with em in 1 but they feel severly nerfed in this game and its driving me nuts. Like i cant figure what roll they're supposed to fill now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lakbay posted:

This Cold Blooded ability sounds terrible but dammit these shoes match with my biker jacket

Congratulations, you have discovered the Light and Truth of Splatoon, and also Monster Hunter. I'm still waiting for a nice cloth overcoat to show up in gray or blue to match up with my Blueberry Casuals shoes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm having my first freshness vs. minmaxing crisis. I keep getting owned by people with ninja squid/people killing me while I'm swimming and the only gear that has that which appeals to me is the matcha down jacket but even that isn't super fresh

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Famitsu at least reports a total sale of 670 955 units of the game over the weekend in glorious Nippon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm glad Splatoon 2 is selling well. The game deserves it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lakbay posted:

I'm having my first freshness vs. minmaxing crisis. I keep getting owned by people with ninja squid/people killing me while I'm swimming and the only gear that has that which appeals to me is the matcha down jacket but even that isn't super fresh

Gear abilities probably only really matter in A/S ranks and league battle. Don't worry about it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

In Training posted:

Gear abilities probably only really matter in A/S ranks and league battle. Don't worry about it

My favorite modes are rainmaker and tower control and I'm in the middle of B rank in TC and climbing steadily soooo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well then I hope you like praying for random rolls and grinding out six billion ability chunks

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My hot roller tip for turf wars is to never engage and paint by myself without ever engaging enemy. It's real easy way to farm wins.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

g0lbez posted:

Stick with analogues! Us good stick users should band together before we die out

Ha, "good" stick user in no way describes me :haw:

McCracAttack posted:

You'll probably get a million tips on this but I thought I'd share my breakthrough.
  • Play with the Switch in handheld mode. Notice how aiming with the motion controls works like holding up a little window with crosshairs in the center? Play a few rounds like this.
  • Now dock your Switch, take your joy con grip or pro controller, and hold it just like the Switch in handheld mode. Aiming should suddenly feel more natural.
I don't know why but doing that instantly made motion controls "click" with me and my scores shot way up. Maybe it will help someone else. Though, this assumes you weren't already playing in handheld mode.

Handheld mode is absolutely unusable for me but I will try with motion controls to see if I can notice what you're talking about. I've resigned myself to the fact that this game will be docked-only for me :(

My biggest gripe about mocon is that I feel like Zelda did them perfectly with aim-able weapons. I can aim with mocons and then adjust with the stick in any direction I want. Splatoon lets me adjust left/right but not up/down which ALWAYS throws me off and immediately makes me feel uneasy. If they added up/down correction I feel like mocons would feel very natural to a lot more people.

Also hitting Y to center feels kind of unnatural since it never centers on where I want it. I know it's where your squid kid is facing but I always have to correct my centering twice or three times before I get it where I want it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 26, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BattleMaster posted:

Wasn't that because there was also a Wii U version?

This is specifically counting Switch copies.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I actually checked how the game plays out in handheld-mode, and was surprised how little it affected my gameplay. I was winning and losing like I would docked. It's definitely more comfortable in tabletop or docked mode, though. That Joy-con Grip is vital for long play sessions.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
How in the ever loving gently caress do I kill/stop/not get butt hosed by a Griller. I'm pretty bad at this game, but running for my life and still getting curb stomped by a Griller seems to be counter productive.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My hands are on the larger side and the joycons in either handheld or docked mode are just slightly on the awkward side. I can do some games but twitch response goes are kinda rough. :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Martytoof posted:

motion controls

I've been doing a kinda hybrid style where I use the stick while just navigating the map, keeping my controller in a basically neutral position, and then I use motion when I actually need to aim at something. It took some getting used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Martytoof posted:

Ha, "good" stick user in no way describes me :haw:

Handheld mode is absolutely unusable for me but I will try with motion controls to see if I can notice what you're talking about. I've resigned myself to the fact that this game will be docked-only for me :(

My biggest gripe about mocon is that I feel like Zelda did them perfectly with aim-able weapons. I can aim with mocons and then adjust with the stick in any direction I want. Splatoon lets me adjust left/right but not up/down which ALWAYS throws me off and immediately makes me feel uneasy. If they added up/down correction I feel like mocons would feel very natural to a lot more people.

Also hitting Y to center feels kind of unnatural since it never centers on where I want it. I know it's where your squid kid is facing but I always have to correct my centering twice or three times before I get it where I want it.

utube is blocked at my work but look up videos by ThatSrb2DUDE on youtube about how to use motion controls in splatoon, just imagine that the wiiu tablet is a pro-controller

The thing that worked for me that he said was imagining the controller as a bus/truck horizontal wheel and how that's used to turn