Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I will declare bankruptcy before I give a poo poo about gas mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Do I have enough cash to keep the car in fuel?

Yes = mpg all good
No = mpg is bad

It's always the former so I figure I'm winning.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh, I have an XC90 that get's 15mpg and it's great loading the family up and going somewhere.

But it's also nice never having to go to the gas station. It's also nice waking up and knowing you have an extra 50 miles to go.

My next car will def be a model 3.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My commute is a short one with a lot of stop and go driving, so my usual MPG is maybe 15, or 22-25 on longer trips. So it's not that bad. I try to do my commute as much as I can tolerate on motorcycles though. The softail and 1125r get 30-35, and the good old TW200 nets me a nice 65-70MPG

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

My commute is a short one with a lot of stop and go driving, so my usual MPG is maybe 15, or 22-25 on longer trips. So it's not that bad. I try to do my commute as much as I can tolerate on motorcycles though. The softail and 1125r get 30-35, and the good old TW200 nets me a nice 65-70MPG

Nice. My commute is 7.1 miles, so in the Volvo, it was a gallon a day, 70$ a month just back and forth.

With the Volt, I have used the XC90 twice in the last month.

Edit*

I wouldn't mind a motorcycle, but in the area I am in, I would die instantly from pot holes. :smith:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

I wouldn't mind a motorcycle, but in the area I am in, I would die instantly from pot holes. :smith:

The roads in my neighborhood look straight out of Syria but that's fine because I just slalom around the craters on my bike.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My commute is a 6 minute walk from my bed to sitting in my office :smug:

Unless I work from home. Fuel mileage is not currently a big consideration

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

Get a GS - I still get ~ 50mpg with this fatty.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I like it.
At some point, I guess I should actually get an MC endorsement so I can ride my '80 Suzuki GS450L. I've had the thing for 20 years, and only rode it a couple of weeks(without the endorsement, but with tags and insurance) before some choad made me drop it. I fixed it, but didn't ride again. Just need to find time and $$ to take the MSF course, because now that's the only way to get an MC license in TX, which is honestly not a bad thing. not sure I'd ride it for the commute just because drivers are so bad here in DFW, but I would do some pleasure riding and errands. Doesn't hurt to have it as a backup vehicle, either.

Currently, my vehicular choices are a Crown Vic P71, and a '90 RX-7. Both get about 16 MPG in the city. Fortunately, my commute is only about 15 miles one way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ratbert90 posted:

I am averaging over 200mpg with my Volt. :smug:

I am averaging over 200 volts with my house. :smug:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My stupid boring jetta 1.4T gets 40mpg on a bad day, and I would give up the MPG in the world for a single tiny bit of actual driving enjoyment.

God dammit I hate this car, I've owned 11 cars and I can't even descibe how uttery soulless, boring, and routine driving this thing is. It's like they specifically engineered any kind of fun, excitement, sound, or pleasure out of it entirely.

Still have another year and a half on my lease. Kill me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Voltage posted:

My stupid boring jetta 1.4T gets 40mpg on a bad day, and I would give up the MPG in the world for a single tiny bit of actual driving enjoyment.

God dammit I hate this car, I've owned 11 cars and I can't even descibe how uttery soulless, boring, and routine driving this thing is. It's like they specifically engineered any kind of fun, excitement, sound, or pleasure out of it entirely.

idk if I believe you, the lady on this commercial for a 1.4T Jetta just now seemed really excited

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Voltage posted:

Well I have to ask, why did you get it?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Voltage posted:

It's like they specifically engineered any kind of fun, excitement, sound, or pleasure out of it entirely.

I see someone has never driven a diesel Vauxhall Insignia.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I get 32mpg on a good day with my Tuono. I also didn't buy it for the fuel milage but some more range would be nice. 120 miles on a 4.9 gallon tank woooooo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ratbert90 posted:

I am averaging over 200mpg with my Volt. :smug:

only because coal isn't measured in gallons.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ratbert90 posted:

Oh, I have an XC90 that get's 15mpg and it's great loading the family up and going somewhere.

But it's also nice never having to go to the gas station. It's also nice waking up and knowing you have an extra 50 miles to go.

My next car will def be a model 3.

Really? That seems pretty bad, I'd expect at least 20 out of an xc90.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I get 21mpg in everything. 95 Mazda Miata, 21mpg. 03 M3? 21mpg. 04 wrx, yup, 21mpg. (Well it's with in 2mpg of 21 most the time on all 3)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Really? That seems pretty bad, I'd expect at least 20 out of an xc90.

On the freeway. :smith:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sadi posted:

I get 21mpg in everything. 95 Mazda Miata, 21mpg. 03 M3? 21mpg. 04 wrx, yup, 21mpg. (Well it's with in 2mpg of 21 most the time on all 3)

Same.

2010 Subaru Forester
2002 Toyota Tacoma
1998 M3

20mpg

The BMW does much better on the highway but most of my driving is in city.

I forgot about the moto.

2004 V-Strom probably gets better than 20 but I've never calculated it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sadi posted:

Same, but the other way around. Truck or car, granny shifting or wide open secondaries, 12mpg. it's actually 13 but that's close enough

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Got my Hijet delivered last night and spent today going over it and cleaning it.

Exterior-wise it's pretty good as you can see from these huge-rear end pictures. It has a dent on the left front, and on the right side it looks like something was dragged across it leaving a couple of gouges into the metal itself. Someone took paint that was kinda close and covered all the exposed metal so while there isn't any rust at all to speak of on the thing you have heavy globs of not-the-right-color on the body. Interior-wise though this thing is truly mint condition. Seats, rubber-sheet floor covering, exposed paint on the body and the vinyl covered cardboard that serves as the door cards and interior panels is flawless. Headliner is perfect, interior plastics are as perfect as a 30+ vehicle can be.
I also found out that not only is it a 2 cylinder carbureted engine with a manual choke but it also has drums on the front and back. The seatbelts don't retract at all, you stick them in these little plastic holder things by the top belt mount. When you put the seatbelt on you have to manually adjust the slack as there zero retraction there as well. A length of belt between two points is all you get. All the lights work, horn works, shifts through all the gears just peachy and is actually quite quiet once she's warmed up and you have the choke off/as low as it will go. There does seem to be a minor coolant leak that I have yet to find. Might just be a bad radiator cap too, who knows.
Tomorrow I'm going to drive it to the DMV after I insure it and then get it a title, registration and a plate. Never done it before but I've got all my paperwork and it's Florida and I'm white so I expect it to go "Oh sure honey" and get all my stuff ez pz.

The other thing is dealing with the delivery driver yesterday was dumb as heck. The delivery itself was fine, the company and people I talked to was fine as well but waiting for someone else to bring your poo poo to you and having to essentially be home the whole day waiting sucks rear end. Going to see how well this goes and if it takes off I'll be getting a big ol' Land Cruiser or Lexus equivalent, a trailer and I'll drive to Jacksonville myself and pick up my next car(s).

EDIT
People joke all the time about how tiny my Honda is but the Daihatsu is tiny tiny. Acty feels like a high-end luxury limousine compared to the Hijet. Less than 10 years apart but it feels like decades.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 27, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Very very cool, man.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sadi posted:

I used to get 23ish in my '99 miata, but I threw on 245/40/15's this year and the aero penalty on the highway took me down to 19-20. I've got an 03 325i that averages 21 as well, but it's mostly city driving. It'll do 27-28 at 80mph all day long but doesn't like around town.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ferremit posted:

1200kms from Dalhousie springs to Adelaide airport, 1167km from Adelaide Airport to Sydney Airport, 8154km from Sydney to Honolulu Airport and then 12km from Honolulu airport to a wallmart.

So 10533kms or 6583 miles

Still not far enough away, imho

KakerMix, that little van is dope as hell.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I went from 14-15 mpg in my '99 Accord to 28-30 mpg in my '14 FR-S.

Worth paying $0.20/L more for 91 octane.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

On the freeway. :smith:

Take the handbrake off, yo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Take the handbrake off, yo.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20382.shtml

City is 14, highway is 19. :shrug:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I compared it to my car and I'm sat like how the gently caress do you make a car perform less well than a huge fatty from the 80s??

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=20382&id=4349

(the unofficial mpg for mine seems about right though :v: )

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Are you guys driving around with your afterburners on?

Or do you leave a trail of leaking fuel?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I compared it to my car and I'm sat like how the gently caress do you make a car perform less well than a huge fatty from the 80s??

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=20382&id=4349

(the unofficial mpg for mine seems about right though :v: )

Your car weighs 1,000lbs less and isn't AWD?

Edit* And isn't a gigantic brick.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 27, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

My car has no O2 sensor from factory so the amount of fuel it chucks into the cylinders varies between most of it and all of it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
My 98 legacy wagon gets around 28 to 30mpg on the highway, and that's obviously AWD. Even my 84 mercedes turbo wagon gets like 25-27mpg (on diesel) on the highway. I can't believe how bad some of these newer cars are.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Ludicro posted:

I see someone has never driven a diesel Vauxhall Insignia.

I recently rented a Nissan pulsar diesel in Portugal and it was way more fun/better overall than the Jetta.

Only reason I got it was a 0 down, 180/mo lease. I think i hate it mainly since my car before it was a fiesta ST :negative:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

spog posted:

My boss just bought a 535xi and was talking about the great mileage he's getting, right about 30mpg. I commented that my 335xi was getting about 19mpg. After he stopped making a shocked expression, I asked if he was using eco mode. I told him that, plus Indiana is a bit different than a stick shift in sport mode in Philly traffic, and that I was happy with 19. :D

(Same engines, and his car is heavier)

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Got my Hijet delivered last night and spent today going over it and cleaning it.

EDIT
People joke all the time about how tiny my Honda is but the Daihatsu is tiny tiny. Acty feels like a high-end luxury limousine compared to the Hijet. Less than 10 years apart but it feels like decades.
That's really nice looking! Do you still have the Daihatsu? Group picture?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

That's really nice looking! Do you still have the Daihatsu? Group picture?

Thanks!
The yellow one is the Daiahtsu, the Acty is the one I already had.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Thanks!
The yellow one is the Daiahtsu, the Acty is the one I already had.

Those are both awesome as hell. Weren't you talking about starting to import cars one at a time for people?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Those are both awesome as hell. Weren't you talking about starting to import cars one at a time for people?

Yeah this Hijet is going to be my first attempt. The process is quite easy just involves going without your money and a vehicle for a couple months as you wait for it to make it's way through the process. I spend my free time on the beach during sunsets taking long looks at craigslist and Japanese auction sites anyway and that's the part where the value seems to be so why not give it a shot. Some screaming deals and the best (and worst) part is the 25 year rule means there is new stuff every day that gets metered out. There is also a lack of support for a bunch of neat things. Nobody wanted this Hijet because they all want Skylines and now, Land Cruisiers.
I'm keeping the Acty, it was my first and it's fixed itself firmly in the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Post wedding I may be interested in what can possibly be brought over here. If this works out for you start a thread, I'd love to see how it goes.