Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Doc Hawkins posted:

No, which is going to look bad later when they finally get around to asking why he was in the Titty Twister in the first place. I think it will sound suspicious.

So this is probably all a lead up to Hajime being the accused and having to defend himself. Neat idea, too bad they had to suddenly turn him into a complete dumbass to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Zoe posted:

So this is probably all a lead up to Hajime being the accused and having to defend himself. Neat idea, too bad they had to suddenly turn him into a complete dumbass to make it work.

While some got the liars disease, Hajime got the dummy disease.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hey hey, finally back and able to catch up with this thread.

Good to see you're back! If you missed it, I remade the dead pool spreadsheet because even though you gave me editing capabilities, I didn't have the ability to edit the cells you protected.

Also, since you were still gone when it happened, what did you think of Trial 2 and all the stuff surrounding it?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I wonder how the door locking worked. Either someone was in there with the two bodies to lock themselves in after Hajime found the hanging, or there was some setup where the drumstick fell into place when the door was shut?

I bet the broken camera is nonfunctional parts and the real, working camera and monitor were in the hospital conference room, where the hanging was staged (it has the curtain and, notably, the same kind of wooden flooring as seen on the broadcast). Kazuichi set up the communications... And he was very quick to leave, complaining about the heat. Wanna bet he's run to the hospital to tidy up in case anyone goes up there? He also arrived with everyone else when Monokuma was causing a distraction, could he have been inside all along?

quote:

: Like...I've been putting up with this for a while...
: But why is it so drat hot in here!? I hate being hot!

Putting up with it for... the five minutes you've supposedly been in the room? :crossarms:

This is great, I followed the old LP and never bothered playing it or looking anything up after it stopped, so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 23, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

eating only apples posted:

I wonder how the door locking worked. Either someone was in there with the two bodies to lock themselves in after Hajime found the hanging, or there was some setup where the drumstick fell into place when the door was shut?

The clue was already given by Chiaki. There was some sticky substance on the door. My guess is that was the actual seal of the door, the drumstick was pre-broken and dropped as a decoy clue.

quote:

I bet the broken camera is nonfunctional parts and the real, working camera and monitor were in the hospital conference room, where the hanging was staged (it has the curtain and, notably, the same kind of wooden flooring as seen on the broadcast). Kazuichi set up the communications... And he was very quick to leave, complaining about the heat. Wanna bet he's run to the hospital to tidy up in case anyone goes up there? He also arrived with everyone else when Monokuma was causing a distraction, could he have been inside all along?

Someone else already pointed out that the pile of debris increased in size between Hajime's first and second visits. Even if the camera was in the conference room at the time of the shooting, it's almost certainly on the music venue floor now.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The clue was already given by Chiaki. There was some sticky substance on the door. My guess is that was the actual seal of the door, the drumstick was pre-broken and dropped as a decoy clue.

Someone else already pointed out that the pile of debris increased in size between Hajime's first and second visits. Even if the camera was in the conference room at the time of the shooting, it's almost certainly on the music venue floor now.

Forgot about that. I wonder if a glue could be that strong? Even workshop chemicals? Where would someone get something like that? I doubt the supermarket is fully stocked with powerful glues and I'm not sure who would know how to make a glue. I'm not sure the drumstick works as a decoy, it's easily obtained by whoever was in the music room, so what's the point? I can't figure it out.

You're right about the debris as well, so my theory goes a little wonky. I still think it's him but I'm excited for more investigation. The other LP apparently got up to the trial but I don't remember any of it.

I keep getting caught up on motive but the motives so far have been impossible to work out before they're revealed.

I feel like I'm missing important things with everything I say but this thread deserves to be more active, so.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Our friends might be dead but our Pet isn't. It'll undergo a new growth soon, but not until after the Trial.

: We have to come to the hospital first if we want to get the 4th Hidden Monokuma because coming here last causes us to be sent to the trial before we can interact with the room it's in.

: I feel like I haven't been here in a while. Even though it's only really been a few days...

: Kazuichi left the music venue right as we started investigating so let's see if he knows or has found anything since then.

: Hey, you prepared that surveillance camera unit, right?
: Yeah, so...? I didn't make any weird modifications or anything... It's not like I'm suspicious or anything...!
: Didn't you get this from that shady-looking alley where all those machines were lined up?
: Yeah...I just tweaked it a little.
: Then...if there are other surveillance camera units... Would it be possible to transmit a signal to the hospital from those cameras, too?

: No, that's impossible. Originally, surveillance cameras and surveillance monitors are only used as part of the same unit. The video that was filmed with the hospital camera can only be viewed on the hospital monitor... The video that was filmed with the music venue camera can only be seen on the music venue monitor...
: But if I left it like that, we wouldn't have been able to communicate, so I decided to swap the cameras.
: So that's how you guys were able to view the hospital footage from the music venue and vice-versa.
: However, each surveillance camera unit manages its broadcast based on a specific number... So even if you bring the same model camera or monitor, you won't be able to interfere with the signal.

Meaning...even if another surveillance camera exists, it'd be impossible to broadcast with it...

: However...I didn't just swap the cameras. I modified them and increased the wireless range. If I hadn't done that, we wouldn't have been able to use it.
: ...Y-You're right. You did work on that.

There's a surveillance camera unit on top of the reception desk... As long as the music venue's surveillance camera unit is destroyed, it's impossible to broadcast with this.

: Hey Hajime. There's something I want to ask you... You first discovered Ibuki's body at the music venue, right? But why did you go to the music venue? You had a reason for that, right? Did you...see something with this camera?
: Oh, I also wanted to ask you that. It'd be different if the surveillance camera unit could record, but it's only good for household functions.
: ...Tell me Hajime.
: Yeah, that's exactly it... I saw a strange video in that surveillance camera unit...

: It showed the music venue stage. There was a black curtain hanging like there is now... But the whole display was pretty dark because they were just using candlelight... There was rope hanging from the ceiling, and beneath that, there was a stepladder on the floor... And right away...

: A person wearing a hospital gown and a hemp bag on their head appeared... I didn't know who it was because their face was covered, but now I know that must've been Ibuki... She walked straight to the stepladder, and without any hesitation...

: She climbed that stepladder of her own free will. And then, she grabbed that rope and...
: ...
: ...That's all I saw. The candlelight being used must've been snuffed out or something because... The screen went dark all of a sudden, and it wasn't displaying anything anymore.

: Well, if the candlelight goes out, obviously nothing will show up... Modern surveillance cameras have infrared functions so things can still show up even in the dark... But the one I got from the machine alley was a really old model.
: ...Ah, hold on.
: At the time, you said you didn't know the person wearing the hemp bag was Ibuki, right?
: Yeah...

: You didn't know it was her, but you saw she was trying to hang herself... So you rushed over to the music venue to try to stop her.
: ...But I didn't make it in time.
: Still, if she climbed the stepladder on her own... Does that mean she committed suicide? Wouldn't that mean she's her own killer?

Ibuki...committed suicide...?

: ...What do you think, Chiaki?

: ...There's no doubt Ibuki climbed the stepladder on her own, right?
: Yeah, there's no doubt.
: If so...
: Hmm...
: Hmmmmmmmmmm...
: Hey, don't think for so long. If you don't know, just be honest about it.
: Well, of course she doesn't... There's no way we'd be able to figure that out so easily.

: Mmph...!
: Oh yeah. I need to investigate the conference room on the second floor.
: ...I'm heading over there. *leaves*
: What the heck...? She ran away all of a sudden...

She said the conference room... But why would she mention the conference room all of a sudden?

Also...I might just be overthinking but... Did she seem a little upset?

: Nice going, Hajime. Anyway, we need to go head to the conference room too.

: On the way there, we find Akane in the 1st floor hallway. Wait, wasn't she supposed to be on guard duty?

: Phew...I'm finally gettin' back to my normal self...
: Hajime, help me out with my recovery! You can touch my boobs if you win.
: No thanks...

She was bearable when she was quiet. It'd be so much better if she was still feeling the aftereffects...

...She'd beat me up if I said that out loud.

: Anyway, why are you here?
: Well, I've never been sick or hurt before so I had no idea, but...

: Hospital gowns are pretty comfy! I was thinkin' I might as well keep wearin' one!
: Don't tell me you plan to wear hospital gowns from now on?

: That's the idea, but it looks like they're outta stock. It looked like there was one gown for each patient's room, so I thought there'd be more in the empty rooms...
: ...There weren't any gowns?
: Yep, that's right. Ibuki died wearin' one, so the only one left is the one Nagito was wearin'.
: If I have no choice then I should just use Nagito's. It's a unisex size so I'll prolly be able to fit in it.
: ...Hold on. What happened to the gown you were wearing?

: Are you sayin' I should wear the one I already wore? That's gross!

Wearing clothes someone else was wearing is even grosser...

: No time to dilly-dally. I totally left Mikan back at the music venue! Crap, I gotta go back soon! *leaves*

Well, it's okay since I already investigated the music venue...but leaving her on guard duty was a bad idea.

: I tried entering the patient rooms but Hajime doesn't think it's important to do so, oddly enough.

: The conference room is upstairs on the 2nd Floor.

No Music.

What's this...? It's pitch black...I can't see anything...

: Um...where's the switch...?
: ...Don't turn it on.
: ...Huh? Ch-Chiaki...are you there...?
: ...If you turn on the light, it's gonna be fully exposed. It'd be embarrassing.
: Wh-What's...fully exposed...?
: Hey Hajime... If you poke out your eyes, you can turn on the light. ...What're you gonna do? Are you gonna poke them out?
: I'm not gonna poke out my eyes...!
: Aww. Bummer. ...Troll fail.

No sooner did she finish saying that, I heard the dry sound of curtains being drawn...

There was a flash of intense light that stung my eyes a little... I squinted my eyes until they started adjusting to the light...

And I saw Chiaki had finished opening the curtain that was covering the window.

: ...Were you surprised?
: Surprised...? I don't get it?
: I got it.
: ...Got what?
: The curtains in this conference room are designed to completely block out light.
: There's a projector in here, so they were probably careful about light shining through.

: See? A black curtain that blocks light and it's also long enough to reach the floor. It's perfect.
: A black, light-blocking curtain... That's why it was so dark. So...is something wrong with it?
: ...I'm still in the middle of investigating, so it's a secret.
: But still...what was all that about? That bit about it being embarrassing if I look and..."troll fail"...?
: I just wanted to mess with you...

Yep...she's definitely upset. Why is she acting so childish?

: I guess...I'm done investigating the hospital.

I should move on to a different place.

: The 4th Hidden Monokuma is hiding up here in the rafters, barely visible. Is it any wonder I missed it on my first playthrough?

: Before we go though, Hajime needs to know if Chiaki's still mad at him or not.

: Hey, did I do something to make you angry?
: I'm not angry...I think.
: Well, are you or aren't you? If you're not angry, you wouldn't have done something so weird.
: Yeah, I'm already over what happened earlier, so you don't have to worry about it.
: ...I think.

...Is she teasing me?

: That's...good to hear. Last thing we need is one of our friends angry at us over a misunderstanding at a time like this.
: Next time, the motel. We're getting close to the trial...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yep, that's it for the hospital. No evidence was found. I don't think we even got a Truth Bullet there. FPZero didn't visit the on-call room, but in oren's LP, nothing was there either. If the hospital conference room was where the video was filmed, the culprit cleaned up very well. But given the incredibly short timeline, that just poses even more time crunch problems for the killer.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
It's still totally Souda. Kazuichi. That guy. He's being very specific about how the cameras work and how he didn't do anything weird with them. If he's not the killer, then he did something weird with the cameras.

...actually, we already know how terrible he is at keeping secrets (see: him and Nekomaru tying up Nagito). Is he being weird because he knows something and doesn't want to say it? I don't think he has any attachments to anyone on the island apart from Sonia...

Okay, it's either him, or he's trying badly to cover for Sonia, because that's all I can think of.

ps, FPzero I'm reading your DR1 LP and really enjoying it, you're doing a great job of both games.

e: I may be going insane but is there a possibility that what we see as a stepladder is actually two of the folding chairs in the conference room?

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 24, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yep, that's it for the hospital. No evidence was found. I don't think we even got a Truth Bullet there. FPZero didn't visit the on-call room, but in oren's LP, nothing was there either. If the hospital conference room was where the video was filmed, the culprit cleaned up very well. But given the incredibly short timeline, that just poses even more time crunch problems for the killer.

I might've forgotten to mention it in the update but yeah, I even recorded the on-call room and took screenshots but in the end there's nothing new there that you couldn't see at any other point in the chapter.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

e: I may be going insane but is there a possibility that what we see as a stepladder is actually two of the folding chairs in the conference room?

:crossarms:

I see a stepladder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sounds like we need an expert opinion. Someone get Wright in here!

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
The dialogue in this update is really reminding me of a Suda51 game for some reason, but a lot less swearing. Maybe that was happening the whole time and I'm just now noticing, I think. As for the investigation, I'll just hold onto any of my theories until we finish finding evidence. Unfortunately I don't know when that will be, so this is really just a post to say that I am enjoying this LP even though I've been quiet for a while.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

As for the investigation, I'll just hold onto any of my theories until we finish finding evidence. Unfortunately I don't know when that will be, so this is really just a post to say that I am enjoying this LP even though I've been quiet for a while.

Yeah, I'm just lurking here, waiting until we catch up to the last LP so I can start speculating without accidentaly spoiling something I half-remembered from the previous thread.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
This thread is going to explode once we get to a new speculation point. I'm excited! :munch:

Also,

BlazeEmblem posted:

I see a stepladder.
You need to stop judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions, Blaze!

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

It's still totally Souda. Kazuichi. That guy. He's being very specific about how the cameras work and how he didn't do anything weird with them. If he's not the killer, then he did something weird with the cameras.

Any time crunch problem would be solved by the camera/receiver being modified to record briefly.

Whoever pointed out the lack of long hair in the video was spot on with that. It's not Ibuki in the video.

Since the whole mastermind/henchman dynamic was brought up, my guess is Sonia killed someone and Kazuichi is her stooge. The camera being broken is to hide the modification.

Also, because it's a DR game and sometimes they are stupid, I'm guessing that Hiyoko was there the whole time and was just hidden with cleverly wrapped wall-paper and stickers, which is why there was a piece up on the light beam. Because why the hell not?

That doesn't really explain why an attempt was made at hiding the time of death though. If that's what the heat is even about.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Buried alive posted:

Also, because it's a DR game and sometimes they are stupid, I'm guessing that Hiyoko was there the whole time and was just hidden with cleverly wrapped wall-paper and stickers, which is why there was a piece up on the light beam. Because why the hell not?

That doesn't really explain why an attempt was made at hiding the time of death though. If that's what the heat is even about.

Definitely the case, someone earlier posted a comparison between when Hajime first found the body and when he came back with the others, the post is way wider the first time.

The time of death is hidden because the killer wants them to think Ibuki died at the time Haiime saw the broadcast, when she probably died much earlier. Hiyoko too obviously.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Definitely the case, someone earlier posted a comparison between when Hajime first found the body and when he came back with the others, the post is way wider the first time.

The time of death is hidden because the killer wants them to think Ibuki died at the time Haiime saw the broadcast, when she probably died much earlier. Hiyoko too obviously.

that and if you make the deaths look more recent, the killer can go 'oh, I was with you at the time, I can't possibly do it'

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Also, if they convinved ibuki to kill it could make everyone lynch the wrong murderer.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ok, I think I figured out how. I haven't figured out who yet though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: The motel was the next location we needed to visit.

I just remembered...I never went inside any of the rooms in the motel... Plus, I don't even know where Hiyoko's room is... It might be faster just to ask someone.

: ...You're here, right? Come on out.
: ...Huh? Are you talking to me?
: I can see you... Did you really think you could hide your presence like that?

I wasn't trying to hide in the first place...

: ...Hey, which room was Hiyoko staying in?
: ...Open the door to the center room.
: However, are you prepared? Make sure you pray to whatever god you hold dear, and you might want to bring an extra pair of underwear... Kehehe...

I wonder... How does this guy talk to his parents and teachers?

: Looks like Fuyuhiko came over to the motel after leaving the music venue. I wonder if he's found out anything new since then.

: Hey Hajime... Can you explain it to me again...? What happened when you first discovered Ibuki's body?
: It was the same as when I found it with you guys. Ibuki's body was hanging from the baton lighting... However, there was no body discovery announcement made. That's why I went to get you guys. I met up with Chiaki at this motel, and when we were about to go back to the music venue...
: You met up with Mikan and me...
: And when we went back to the music venue, the entrance door wouldn't open for some reason.
: So we had no choice but to break down the door...and discovered Hiyoko's body was suddenly there, too.
: Yeah, that's what happened.

: This is the most important part... When you arrived at the motel, who else saw you besides Chiaki?
: Um...as I recall...

: Didn't you hear me!? A body was found!
: B-B-B-Body...
: Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
: Could it be... Do you intend to spread lies, like Nagito, in order to confuse us all?

: Besides Chiaki...I also saw Gundham and Monomi.
: I see...so Kazuichi and Sonia didn't appear, huh?
: Do you think...those two are suspicious?
: Well, Hiyoko was killed between the time you saw Ibuki's body and when we broke down the door, right? So obviously those two are the most suspicious since they weren't with us...
: That...that might be it but...

: While we're at it...lemme tell you my alibi, too... When the morning Monokuma Announcement woke me up, I went straight to the hospital. I saw Mikan panicking in front of the hospital... I asked her what's going on, she said Ibuki disappeared...
: So...you guys split up and looked for Ibuki, huh...?
: While we were circling the island, we came to the motel and saw you guys there.
: Did you see...anyone else while you circled the island?
: No, we went to the movie theater and that street full of machines to look for Ibuki, but we didn't see anyone...

: Are you implying I don't have an alibi because I didn't run into anyone? It's unreasonable for you to doubt me. The time that Mikan and I were on our own looking for Ibuki wasn't very long...
: In that short time, there's no way I could've killed Hiyoko and wrapped her around the pillar with duct tape.

It's true...I feel like there wasn't enough time to do that after I left the music venue... But...the fact is Hiyoko was killed, and we did discover her body...

: What...? Do you still doubt me?
: Well, I'm used to it... It's true I've done thing that I deserve to be doubted for...
: So don't worry...even if you doubt me, I don't plan on dismembering you and encasing you in concrete.

I'd want to know in advance what I'd have to do to end up like that...

: As Gundham said, Hiyoko's room is in the middle of the motel.

*Clatter clatter clatter*

Looks like it's locked, but...

The key was inside her kimono... Maybe if I use this...

*Creak...*

: It opened... Just as I thought, this key was Hiyoko's room key.

...All right, I should go inside.

So...Hiyoko was staying here... She only stayed here a few nights, so it doesn't really feel like her room but... I...feel a little conflicted.

: ...Huh? Did the door open?
: Yeah...Hiyoko put the key in her kimono, so I used that to open it.
: I...see...
: ...What? Did something happen?
: No...it is just... I am starting to believe...it might be my fault...

Her fault...? What does that mean?

: Well that's a thread to follow if I've ever read one. But first, the 5th Hidden Monokuma is very well hidden behind the wall in the bathroom.

: And since talking to Sonia advances the plot, let's examine the couple other things in here first.

: The bed...isn't messed up...

It doesn't look like...she was abducted in her sleep.

There's a mirror...but it's so small and rusty... There's no way anyone can use this.

: Now then, let's see what Sonia think's she's responsible for.

: The moment Hiyoko came to this motel, she completely shut herself in this room.
: She was afraid of the Despair Disease...so she was cautious of you guys too, right?
: However...her fear of the disease was not the only reason she locked herself in her room. She had...another reason.
: Besides that disease...what other reason would make her lock herself in her room?
: ...Her kimono.
: H-Her kimono...?
: Um...Yesterday, I went to go talk to her. Since she had been in her room for some time, I told her it might be good for her to go outside for a bit... She kept the door to her room locked, but by coincidence, it was not locked at that time... And then...I saw it.

: Hiyoko was crying and struggling with her kimono sash. She did not want to smell bad so she took a shower, but then she could not tie her sash anymore... Mahiru is no longer with us...so...I believe she was having trouble with it.

: She...didn't leave her room because she couldn't tie her kimono, huh...
: The others might have thought it was just a silly sash...but it must have been a serious issue for her.
: Hiyoko told me that she learned how to tie her sash from Mahiru. That Mahiru kindly taught her the basics...
: That's why...she wanted to be able to tie her sash on her own...
: She...probably could not forgive herself for not being able to do it, especially since Mahiru taught her...
: I...I could not really understand her feelings, which is why I said what I did...
: ...What did you say?

: H-Hiyoko... By chance, are you having trouble wearing your kimono?
: S-Stupid! What are you saying!? Of course I can do it! B-Because...Mahiru taught me. That's why...I can do it on my own.
: U-Um... If that is the case, how about you do it someplace where there is a mirror? Do you remember the full-length mirror in the storage room at the music venue? If you do it while standing in front of a large mirror, I am confident you will be successful. Also... Shutting yourself in your room like this may be bad for your health...
: And that was when she kicked me out...

: Could it be... Hiyoko remembered that...!?
: ...Are you saying she went to the music venue to wear her kimono?

Hm...I can see that happening. Hiyoko locked her room and made sure she put the room key inside her kimono. I can't imagine that...she was abducted by someone.

...If so, that's weird.

: Hey, did you tell anyone about that before the incident? Or...was someone listening in on your conversation...?
: I-I never told this to anyone, and I do not believe anyone was listening in on our conversation.

Nobody knew...? If that's the case...how did the killer know Hiyoko was going to the music venue?

Something's...wrong...

: I don't...see anything else that looks suspicious...

There's no sign that someone made a mess of her room, and I don't think she was forcefully abducted.

: I feel like I couldn't really find any important clue...oh well...

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Helloooooo! How's everybody doin'!? It's me, Monokuma! Yaaaaay, awesome! The class trial's gonna start, you know! Soooo make sure you guys come to Monokuma Rock ASAP! Puhuhuhu, I'll see you soon!

: It's...already time...

So...this again... I need to go to that place...again...

: ...But now's not the time to be a coward.
: The reason Ibuki and Hiyoko became victims... In order to find the truth...
: ...The only thing I can do is go!

: We haven't seen them for a while, but the Monobeasts are still very much guarding the other remaining bridges.

: It's time.

Everyone who heard the announcement had gathered in front of Monokuma Rock. And soon enough...

: Is everybody heeeere!? Do you guys wanna go to the class triaaaaaal!?

: Hey, jerk! Hold it right there!
: What? Don't get in my way. You're just a dumb little sister who's short a few brain cells.
: My brain works just fine!

: Monokuma! What did you do with Nekomaru!?
: I see...so you've come to avenge him...
: Avenge!? That sounds like he died!

: "Sounds like," you say...? Oops!
: Anyway, since Nekomaru is unfortunately unavailable today, let's just say he's absent...
: N-Now then, I gotta go first! *leaves*
: Ah, hold on! I won't let you escape! *leaves*

: H-Hey...did you hear what he said...?
: Don't worry about it, there's no way Nekomaru is dead... He's just trying to piss us off...!
: Of course he's not dead. There's no way, not in a million years.

: More importantly...it's best if we worry about ourselves for now.
: If "something" happens here...every one of us except Nekomaru will die!
: Wh-Why are you so excited about that...!?
: Who knows...? Maybe I'm just looking forward to seeing poetic justice prevail.

: What are you saying, fiend?
: You'll find out soon enough...
: ...Then let's go.
: All right! Let's hurry up and get this over with!
: Yeah...you're right...

"ROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAARRR...!"

We stepped onto the escalator and ascended toward the gaping maw of Monokuma Rock... And that's when I suddenly noticed it. I noticed our lined up silhouettes keep getting smaller and smaller...

...But I can't turn back now. If I turn back, I won't be able to press forward...

And when everyone was inside Monokuma Rock...

No Music.

The elevator began its deep descent as usual.

...But nobody said a word. As we stood there trying to figure out what to say to each other, the elevator descended deeper and deeper.

And when it descended as far as it could go, it finally stopped.

The elevator doors opened slowly, almost tantalizingly so. Light poured through from the other side, eroding the boundaries of the darkness... And...I walked into that place.

: My, my... It feels pretty toothless with all these empty seats...
: Well, two people got killed at the same time...and Nekomaru's not here either...
: Is Nekomaru really not participating? If he's alive, you should invite him!
: ...Why bother?
: What!?
: Now then...let's begin!

: It's the beginning of the long-awaited class trial! Please enjoy it to your heart's content!

And so...the curtain to the third class trial was about to open...

Ibuki Mioda, the Ultimate Musician...

She was really loud, but she was the moodmaker of our group. When I was with her, all of my pain and suffering just seemed to melt away.

Hiyoko Saionji, the Ultimate Traditional Dancer...

Just from looking at her face, you'd never know she was actually selfish and foulmouthed... But she was trying to change herself, and she was desperately trying to come to terms with Mahiru's death.

The person who killed those two is among us.

I...definitely can't believe it...

But..whether I believe it or not is irrelevant.

Unless I figure out the truth, I won't be able to escape from this hell. That's why...I must find out, no matter the cost.

For our sake...

For our friends' sake...

For Ibuki and Hiyoko's sake...

And so...the curtain to the third class trial was about to open...

This life-threatening trial billowing with hope and despair...

...has begun.

: Welcome to the 3rd Class Trial!
: The ticker along the bottom of the screen reads the following:

"The Despair Disease, and two consecutive murders... The thought of a third class trial fills the remaining survivors with despair. Why would the disease be a motive? Why did Ibuki hang herself? And why did Hiyoko's body suddenly appear...? Survive the class trial, where mystery begets more mystery!"

: I have seven more Hope Crystals to use this time. I debated what to get but in the end I went with Algorithm. It's unchanged from the first game: This skill decreases the time needed to absorb a statement. The main difference is that it uses 4 SP now.
: I really debated getting Neural Liberation since that makes your Focus Gauge deplete slower, something that would be handy in many situations. But, I didn't want to spend all my crystals yet. Maybe next Trial.

: The other thing I did was swap out Attentive Influence for Envious Influence. If you remember, we got this skill by completing Sonia's Free Times. It's a big HP boost for the trials.
: I'll be using Envious Influence, Fine Sword, Delusion, Algorithm, Upshift, and Cool and Composed this time. We're only at 29/44 SP used up. As you can see, SP usage is never a problem past Trial 1.

: Lastly, the Truth Bullets.

: ...It appears her death was instant.

: And with that, join me next time for Trial 3.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 31, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We've now reached both what's essentially the halfway point of the game and the point where the previous LP ended. From here on out, everything will be new for those people who followed along years ago and never played or read the game on their own time. The trial is about as long as the previous two trials. I'm going to attempt to post them with some rapidity once I begin just so that we're not sitting here for a whole month while it plays out. Trials are best experienced with as little delay as possible in my opinion, so I'll try and keep up the update pace.

Hope everyone's enjoying the LP so far and is looking forward to the second half of the game. The best parts are yet to come.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ace Attorney introduced me to the courtroom puzzle, and whilst Danganronpa looks a bit too fast-paced for a long thinker like me I'm really excited to see where this goes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I know nothing about this trial beyond the culprit, and am pretty much ignorant of the entirety of the next chapter, so I look forward to seeing how crazy it gets.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 26, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
One thing this game does better than the first game is making it a bit less obvious who the killer is. In this trial, a lot of evidence is simply not there. The killer did an excellent job of covering the situation up and confusing everything. I know nothing beyond this point, but here's what I see happened.

The killer was originally planning only to kill Ibuki at the music club, but Saionji was in the back room or walked in in the middle of the night for the purposes of practicing tying her sash. So the killer quickly improvised, killing Saionji. Having seen the movie, they came up with an idea to obscure the crime further. Saionji was tied to the pole and the killer used wallpaper and stickers to make a fake column to hide her body. The killer strangled Ibuki with the rope and then attached the rope to the lighting thing, then raised it up (maybe also raising the column of wallpaper as well).

Then came the next part: confusing the time of death. The killer turned the heat up, and either smashed an extra monitor from the junk piles. They then took the camera, monitor and spare stepladder to the hospital, where they used the conference room to act as a replica of the music club. Early in the morning, they set up a call to the hospital. When someone answered, the act was on. Disguised with robe and hood, they then slowly approached the noose, using careful timing with a candle stub so it went out just before grabbing the noose. Once Hinata hung up, the killer then cleaned up the conference room. The stepladder, monitor, noose, bag, robe and candle were hidden, likely in the junk-filled staff room. The killer then raced to the music venue, and seeing that Hinata wasn't there, quickly pulled down the wallpaper and folded it up, putting it back in the storage room. Then they planted a broken drumstick by the front door and sealed it with the sticky substance, to make it look like the killer had to have been hiding inside.

Does anyone mind if I post another part speculating on the killer AND all the problems with my theory, including the reason why I'm not sure that they are the killer?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

You didn't mention it in the update, but I presume you are locking down the betting pool before the next update, right?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Both pools have already been locked ever since midway through Chapter 1. The only thing open on them are killer guesses which is just a fun little "whodunnit" that doesn't actually have any prize attached to it, just some speculation.

Does anyone mind if I post another part speculating on the killer AND all the problems with my theory, including the reason why I'm not sure that they are the killer?

:justpost:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Speculation by people who haven't played the game is always fun. And enough people have played this game by now that this thread is not going to go crazy from insane speculation anymore.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

FPzero posted:

Both pools have already been locked ever since midway through Chapter 1. The only thing open on them are killer guesses which is just a fun little "whodunnit" that doesn't actually have any prize attached to it, just some speculation.

That's what I was referring to. I always find the speculation really interesting.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

MegaZeroX posted:

That's what I was referring to. I always find the speculation really interesting.

Ah. Nah I'm not gonna bother locking the killer guesses since it's just a "for fun" thing. Keep the guesses rolling in!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Congratulations, thread, you're officially the best DR2 thread. :toot:

This case is one of my favorites because of how crazy it gets later in the class trials. I look forward to people who followed the last thread but never played it themselves finally getting to experience it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, in my theory, the hospital conference room was used to film the "suicide" video Hajime saw. This is supported by three things: There is a stepladder missing from the music club storeroom, the pile of trashed debris grew larger on the return to the club, and the club stage has a black curtain not designed to fit it.

The hospital is occupied, though, and under quarantine. Either the killer was someone who was expected to be there, or they were not.

If it was someone from outside the hospital, the killer would run a serious risk of being caught by those who are supposed to be there, especially since this is taking place at dawn, just before the morning announcement. In fact, the whole point of the killer's plan is to have someone at the hospital see the blinking light on the monitor. The killer also likely hid the evidence of the faked video in the hospital on-call room. Now, either Mikan would be sleeping in that room, or else she would be awake and wandering the hospital. NEITHER of those options are good for the killer if they do not want to be caught! (I think you can see where I'm going with this, but hold on). Therefore, the killer can't be from the motel group (or Nidai either).

That leaves someone who was expected to be at the hospital as our suspect pool. I'm ruling out the patients, neither had the capacity to pull this off. Not Hajime because viewpoint character. Kuzuryu and Mikan's testimonies both agree that he came from the hotel approach and met Mikan outside the hospital. Monobear said that there is a single killer, and an accomplice has no reason to cooperate. Additionally, Kuzuryu seems to have reformed his ways. So, not him.

That leaves only Mikan.

But there's a problem: I don't see how she has the time to do the necessary steps. (In oren's LP, Souda mentioned that the monitors can't record or play back. I am assuming that remains the case here, even though I don't think it was explicitly said.)

For Mikan to be our sole killer, filming live in the conference room:
• After leaving Hajime , she removes some of her clothes and especially her trademark bandages (no bandages were visible on the figure in the video).
• She puts on a spare robe and a monomi sack.
• Then she'd have to start the staged scene blind, literally and possibly figuratively.
• She has somehow (through how much practice? When?) worked out perfect timing with the candle to go out just at the right time (without appearing to stall for time waiting for the candle to go out).
• She MIGHT know when Hajime starts watching if she used the Music club's monitor upstairs, and she MIGHT know when he leaves. If she didn't use the actual monitor, she has no way to know either of those things.
• She then cleans up the evidence in the conference room. The candle, rope, bag, robe, and stepladder (and possibly the monitor as well) are hidden somewhere - maybe in the hospital on-call room, maybe not. Hiding those items means needing to move a bunch of stuff out of the way and then back. That takes time. In fact, it would probably take at least several minutes.
• She has to put her bandages/clothes back on
• She goes outside and apparently WAITS for Kuzuryuu to show up so they can split up. He goes towards the theatre, she races towards the music club at her top speed.
• At the club, she tears down the wallpaper, folds it up, and puts it in the storage room there.
• She plants the broken drumstick and uses glue to seal the door.
• She heads to the motel at her top speed and meets everyone there before Hajime and crew leave.

Here's Hajime 's chain of events:
• Mikan leaves. Hajime talks to Nagito very briefly, then goes to the lobby.
• The "incoming call" light is already lit when Hajime is in the lobby.
• Hajime watches the video. He does shout. Possibly Mikan had a receiver upstairs to hear him, but maybe not.
• He races at top speed to the music club.
• He sees the scene, and immediately leaves and races to the motel.
• He meets Tanaka, Monomi, Nanami and explains about the body.
• They leave and meet Mikan immediately outside the motel.

So if Mikan is the killer, she had to do all her cover-up work in the time it takes someone racing at top speed to go to the music club for a few seconds, then race to the motel, and she still manages to reach the motel before Hajime can leave it. We are talking about Mikan here. You know, the one who is so clumsy, THIS is what happens when she is just standing still.

I completely reject the explanation that Mikan has contracted "Super-efficient-and-not-clumsy disease". That's just bad storytelling. You can't have someone commit a murder because for reasons compeltely outside of their control, they got infected with "Opposite Personality Disease" changing them from normal person to killer - it's unsatisfying to the audience. Additionally, everyone who was ill had a very obvious personality shift, Mikan did not. But there is one thing I had not considered in oren's LP.

Mikan is not clumsy at all. She has never been clumsy. What if the whole thing is just an act for attention? She makes herself fall into those clumsy, embarrassing positions on purpose. "Tee hee hee, don't look at me, it's so embarrassing!"

But still, even assuming clumsiness is not a factor, the timeline is ridiculously short for all Mikan has to accomplish, including WAITING for Kuzuryu outside the hospital, and she still manages to reach the motel before Hajime and everyone can leave. It's sort-of like the first case, where Steve had to shut the fire doors, take the portable stove and skewer, walk down a hallway, put the stove down, put a sheet on, crawl under the floor to the glowing paint in the time it took Nagito to find a cord he was standing right beside and follow it to a table.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 26, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ugggh, here we are past the point the last LP stopped, and I can't join in, because I played this through and remember all the answers!... Wanna talk so much, but can't!

Eh, shall have to content myself with the anticipation of things to come and your reactions to the same.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

(In oren's LP, Souda mentioned that the monitors can't record or play back. I am assuming that remains the case here, even though I don't think it was explicitly said.)

I think it's this line:
: Oh, I also wanted to ask you that. It'd be different if the surveillance camera unit could record, but it's only good for household functions.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Whoever the killer turns out to be, I'm already assuming the amount of time they had to do all this is going to be as hard to swallow from a realism standpoint as how elaborate it all was in the first place, so I'm not putting too much stock in working it out by looking at who had time for what.

What I'm more curious about right now it's what's going on with Nekomaru, or if that's just a red herring.

I would assume the bear is too much of a dick to turn over a list of who bought the bags, because that would be the simplest and most straightforward way to solve this in a real situation.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zoe posted:

Whoever the killer turns out to be, I'm already assuming the amount of time they had to do all this is going to be as hard to swallow from a realism standpoint as how elaborate it all was in the first place, so I'm not putting too much stock in working it out by looking at who had time for what.

What I'm more curious about right now it's what's going on with Nekomaru, or if that's just a red herring.

I would assume the bear is too much of a dick to turn over a list of who bought the bags, because that would be the simplest and most straightforward way to solve this in a real situation.

Im kind of hoping nekomaru is the killer for the absurdity of it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

That leaves only Mikan.

But there's a problem: I don't see how she has the time to do the necessary steps. (In oren's LP, Souda mentioned that the monitors can't record or play back. I am assuming that remains the case here, even though I don't think it was explicitly said.)
There's another problem with your theory that's maybe a bit too subtle: Mikan also has decently long hair which would add on more time to her preparations (to hide it under the second bag.)

There is however a solution to the time crunch: Ibuki's gullible virus. While it's true that she probably wouldn't do anything suicidal if told to, what if she was told something factually untrue that would cause her to do that? IE: 'hey Ibuki, this murder here? you did it. how are you gonna atone for this?' etc. etc. help with the setup yadda yadda.

Hiyoko being the primary victim also makes Mikan pretty suspect (being the primary target of most of her abuse.)

Yet another problem that's going to come up in the trial is the lack of spare Hospital Gowns. With one per patient that leaves whoever did the imitation hanging on a short list. Although Nekomaru Nagito did say he saw two Ibukis...

Edit: Whoops, silly N names.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 26, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think you mean Nagito, Mr. Yar.

We can eliminate Nekomaru by the virtue both Monomi and Monokuma more or less say he's still hasn't recovered, and while Monokuma will obscure evidence, they hadn't directly lied in crimes until things started going south for them, and so far monokuma is still confident that they're in control.

I agree Mikan is the one most likely to commit due to timing, and motive for Hiyoko, but then it leaves the question of why Ibuki asides from her gullible status.

Souda is eliminated simply for the fact it's bad detective writing to have the culprit out right lie about the function of a key piece of evidence without someone being able to examine it for themselves, and since one monitor/camera set is smashed, and the other goes unnoted, I think it's safe to say he isn't lying about their capability.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 26, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's another problem with your theory that's maybe a bit too subtle: Mikan also has decently long hair which would add on more time to her preparations (to hide it under the second bag.)

There is however a solution to the time crunch: Ibuki's gullible virus. While it's true that she probably wouldn't do anything suicidal if told to, what if she was told something factually untrue that would cause her to do that? IE: 'hey Ibuki, this murder here? you did it. how are you gonna atone for this?' etc. etc. help with the setup yadda yadda.

Hiyoko being the primary victim also makes Mikan pretty suspect (being the primary target of most of her abuse.)

Yet another problem that's going to come up in the trial is the lack of spare Hospital Gowns. With one per patient that leaves whoever did the imitation hanging on a short list. Although Nekomaru Nagito did say he saw two Ibukis...

Edit: Whoops, silly N names.

The hair can be hidden under the robe. But I don't accept the possibility of someone who is sick killing someone, even themselves. Lack of mental capacity is another unsatisfying way to tell the story.

The killer had all night to set up the music club and kill the two victims and set the scene there, as well as prepare the conference room. Ibuki might have helped a little, but it's not really required.The time crunch problem starts as soon as Hajime picks up the transmission, by which point Ibuki is long dead.

I get the impression that like the other two cases, the resolution will hinge on implausible timing or ridiculous feats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

The hair can be hidden under the robe. But I don't accept the possibility of someone who is sick killing someone, even themselves. Lack of mental capacity is another unsatisfying way to tell the story.

The killer had all night to set up the music club and kill the two victims and set the scene there, as well as prepare the conference room. Ibuki might have helped a little, but it's not really required.The time crunch problem starts as soon as Hajime picks up the transmission, by which point Ibuki is long dead.

I get the impression that like the other two cases, the resolution will hinge on implausible timing or ridiculous feats.

It's also rather unsatisfying to have this massive (relatively in terms of cast members affected) change introduced for it to turn out to just be a method to separate the actors and narrow down a suspect list. There's too much potential/intrigue there.

Hmmm. Then again because of Sonia's account with Hiyoko being in the music venue and all the effort gone into trying to clean the place up... What if you're right and that's all the Despair Disease actually ended up doing?
If Ibuki dies first that removes a lot of the timing constraints and allows the killer ample enough time to set up 'Ibuki hanging herself' to cover their tracks. But then a snag hits: Hiyoko happens on the scene so now the killer has to take care of her too. Now the killer has a planned murder they still need to finish setting up and now an unplanned murder to also cover up, but one they could use to their advantage.

Hence them copying the movie and the relative haste/sloppyness of Hiyoko's part of the coverup (the reversed sash, the use of tape, the snag of wallpaper on the lights.) The messy blood cleanup and spatters on Ibuki's hospital sandals (and the ladder) are easy enough to fake.

That leaves the things the killer has to do in order to meet all of the time constraints down to: clean up the hospital conference room, hide/dispose of the equipment used there, get to the music venue, move the wallpaper away from Hiyoko, deposit a broken drum stick in front of the door, exit, seal the door with some form of sealant and then innocuously show up to not be suspicious.

The conference room equipment is the sticking point. The stepladder mostly since that's a big thing to be carting around, the camera is easy enough to move about.

• Locked thread