Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ceyton posted:

Honestly, in this day and age I'd recommend getting JA2 Gold and playing vanilla for a few hours until you get the hang of things, and then restart with an older version of 1.13 (like build 4870). The 1.13 devs were always a bit crazy, but starting around 2010 or so they went completely off the deep end, added a bunch of controversial new features and systems, and muddled things up to an extreme level.
Yeah, the game got this weird legendary status for a reason. The toughest thing about trying to play Vanilla is the screen resolution, other than that it's still freaking fantastic.
The game was very much designed around the original resolution so even if you grab some version 1.13 and strip it down it's still going to be weird. With the increased resolution half of the map now fits on the screen, your pistols and shotguns will seem to have the range of a stream of piss and even your larger rifles will say they're out of range half way across it making it pretty frustrating if it's your first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've recently gotten engrossed in Children of a Dead Earth, a hard sci-fi RTS game recommended by the super loving nerdy fan site Atomic Rockets (a recommended read when you're bored at work). If the idea of calculating orbits, radial burns, tangentials, and Hohmann transfers get you hard then boy is this the game for you! It handles all the calculations automatically so the bulk of the game is planning the most efficient trajectory for the least fuel that will let you get some flyby shots at enemy units. Timing kind of reminds me of the old Combat Missions games or maybe even the Geoscape of XCOM where it's measured in hours and entire battles could take days (conveniently sped up of course) as you jockey around orbits.

I'm the green guy, positioning myself to intercept the red guy using the least fuel possible.

First run and the enemy vessel speeds past me as I'm basically approaching it perpendicular to its orbit.

Correcting trajectory to ride alongside it. It's costly as I'm basically going "full speed ahead" when the more economic option would have been to orbit the planet until I overtook the vessel but hey, you're graded for speed not efficiency.

Cutting this guy into thirds.

I think the coolest thing that happened in a mission was launching a missile, the enemy shoots the missile disabling it and causing it to spin wildly, then not being able to move away in time before this flailing 1 ton object slams into them at 5km/s.

I don't know how this will hold up over time but it's chill as gently caress.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hmm, that game doesn't seem to arouse me. Sounds like Kerbal (flying bits) with guns.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

Hmm, that game doesn't seem to arouse me. Sounds like Kerbal (flying bits) with guns.

I'm probably the only person in the world who hasn't played Kerbal (and I'm sure I'd be sucked in it as well) but this is definitely an RTS with pause. The sandbox offers a lot of customization to an 18 mission campaign, and you can custom build your own ships from a pretty robust list, but it's still structure gameplay wise like the original Command and Conquer. It's like something you'd see in the 90s at Walmart in a jewel case tucked away with "Nancy Drew and the 10,000 puzzles" which is why I hesitate to recommend at full price. I definitely bought it on sale.

e: I don't know who owns the Star Trek license now but somebody do a new Star Fleet Battles, I am hungry for heavier space games.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 26, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ulio posted:

Oh ya I want to play that game too never got around it. I wish it was on PC because they did release The Last Remnant on PC which was the same dev.

Lost Odyssey was Mistwalker (and published by Microsoft), Last Remnant was Square-Enix internal.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

al-azad posted:

Children of a Dead Earth

This sounds baller as hell and honestly you sell it better than its steam page does.

Also, you need to pick up Kerbal Space Program because it's in a very similar wheelhouse with managing fuel, orbits, and the rest of the rocket.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's all automated and it's a cut and dry 120 minutes limit.

I'm not sure about that, I've refunded a game with 130 minutes for crashing and received it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can still get a refund above 120 minutes, it's just that it then goes in front of a person who may or may not give you it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lost Odyssey was Mistwalker (and published by Microsoft), Last Remnant was Square-Enix internal.

otoh mistwalker also made The Last Story so i can understand the confusion

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Dying Light is currently updating to this:

quote:

Dying Light’s Content Drop #0 includes a new faction of soldiers set to cause havoc in the Old Town, Mutated Goon - a new zombie enemy, new player outfit called ‘Hunted’ and a new weapon - ‘Harran Military Rifle’. The new content is available by updating to the latest version of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQdkigSNTo

I didn't know they were going to release free DLC for this, that's really cool of them. Blurb from the Dying Light website:

quote:

ABOUT "10-IN-12" PROGRAM
Following the undying enthusiasm and engagement of millions of fans who continue to play Dying Light, we have decided to launch the "10-IN-12" program for our beloved zombie game. In the next twelve months we will deliver ten free DLCs featuring brand-new locations, mechanics, weapons, enemies, and story-driven quests alongside gameplay improvements, balance tweaks, and exclusive content for our most dedicated fans. Techland's continuous support means that we are still open to our fans’ suggestions on how we can improve their experience with Dying Light. We encourage every one of you to share your thoughts, ideas, and stories.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Maybe they'll provide a way to skip the lock picking minigame.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Smekerman posted:

Dying Light is currently updating to this:
drat, it's pretty sick they support this game like this. It would have probably paid them way more dividends and generated a lot of customer loyalty if they had done it Witcher 3 style starting at release but hats off to devs that do this stuff anyway.

Jamfrost posted:

Maybe they'll provide a way to skip the lock picking minigame.
Dying Light has a modding community that already did this.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 26, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does the mutated goon come armed with hand grenades?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SelenicMartian posted:

Does the mutated goon come armed with hand grenades?

Hopefully you'll find a Cheeto dusted katana on it's corpse even though it doesn't use one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

You can still get a refund above 120 minutes, it's just that it then goes in front of a person who may or may not give you it.

"We have reviewed your refund request.
We are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time. Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours (our refund policy maximum)."

siiiiigh

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Hmmmm, I'll make of note of this for the eventual reinstall after they push it all out. Neato. :v:

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008
Sorry if this is common knowledge at this point but I remember there being something weird and offline mode. I've been using steam for 10+ years and don't think I've ever had to use offline mode but I'm moving to a new place soon and won't have internet for a couple weeks.

I remember something like you had to switch to offline mode while you still had internet access or it wouldn't work properly or some poo poo? Is this still the case or can I just boot my offline PC up in my new place and play offline with no problems?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Chargrilled Face posted:

Sorry if this is common knowledge at this point but I remember there being something weird and offline mode. I've been using steam for 10+ years and don't think I've ever had to use offline mode but I'm moving to a new place soon and won't have internet for a couple weeks.

I remember something like you had to switch to offline mode while you still had internet access or it wouldn't work properly or some poo poo? Is this still the case or can I just boot my offline PC up in my new place and play offline with no problems?

Why don't you pull out your network cable now and do some testing?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
It used to be the case but not anymore.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Well i was going to try Gigantic by installing it through steam, and ive come across a really weird problem, that i can not find a google solution for ANYWHERE. Basically the Play Game button is broken for me on the store, unless i already have the game licensed on my account. Tried with dozens of F2P games and none would install except those i had already downloaded before, and installed before.

So something is up with my version of Steam, and I'm stumped as to how to fix it.

Not really an issue with wanting to play Gigantic ( it was a bored off my rear end click to begin with ). More an issue of, I cant install what i want to.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is R6 Siege a Good Game? I noticed they have a whole lot of different characters and that looks like my jam. Should I grab the Starter Edition?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Azran posted:

Is R6 Siege a Good Game? I noticed they have a whole lot of different characters and that looks like my jam. Should I grab the Starter Edition?

Starter Edition is grind edition that dishes out inflated prices for Operators. I wouldn't recommend it. Base game or bundles would be the way to go.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Just putting this out there in case anyone else runs into this. Tried Velocity 2x for the first time and it was running so insanely fast I was confused as to how you can play it. Realized speed is tied to FPS so if you have a monitor over 60 it will be terrible. Running in windowed mode fixed it for me. It is a pretty good speed running sort of game so far.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

"We have reviewed your refund request.
We are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time. Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours (our refund policy maximum)."

siiiiigh

I don't think this applies to early access games, however. I heard you can refund those at any point regardless of your playtime until they hit official release.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not enough digital stores? Want yet another option to check for sales? Worry not, Techland(Dying Light) has unveiled Gemly, their new digital distribution plataform.

Fortunately that's only a store and not a client, as games activate on Steam(Or GOG for Witcher3), so we won't have to install yet another DRM.

Might be cool to keep an eye on it, although I didn't know Dying Light sold well enough to warrant this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It still boggles my mind that Techland release Dying Light as a spiritual successor to Dead Island and everyone loved the changes only to then announce Dead Island 2 that they were apparently also making but doesn't have the good poo poo from Dying Light.

...and then that game just loving disappeared and I bet we'll get a Dying Light 2 first. Or maybe they'll make a third zombie game series!!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yodzilla posted:

It still boggles my mind that Techland release Dying Light as a spiritual successor to Dead Island and everyone loved the changes only to then announce Dead Island 2 that they were apparently also making but doesn't have the good poo poo from Dying Light.

...and then that game just loving disappeared and I bet we'll get a Dying Light 2 first. Or maybe they'll make a third zombie game series!!

Following the naming scheme it will be called Quite Unwell Thursday.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I don't think this applies to early access games, however. I heard you can refund those at any point regardless of your playtime until they hit official release.

The game in question was Factorio, which is in early access.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Samuringa posted:

Not enough digital stores? Want yet another option to check for sales? Worry not, Techland(Dying Light) has unveiled Gemly, their new digital distribution plataform.

Fortunately that's only a store and not a client, as games activate on Steam(Or GOG for Witcher3), so we won't have to install yet another DRM.

Might be cool to keep an eye on it, although I didn't know Dying Light sold well enough to warrant this.
Did they hire a marketing strategist who previously worked for CDPR or what? Both companies have studios in the same Polish cities so probably yes.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

The game in question was Factorio, which is in early access.

Well that is surprising then, and good to know.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yodzilla posted:

Techland's got nothing to do with the Dead Island series anymore, that IP's owned by Deep Silver. DI2 was being developed by Yager, the Spec Ops people, but it looks like they've been replaced with Sumo Digital. The More You Know.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Yodzilla posted:

They also stopped development of Hellraid to focus on making The Following for Dying Light.

Supposedly it was originally just a mod/extension for Dead Island, but was then moved up to be a full game.
Co-op Hexen would have been pretty boss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqeYqFN2HNA

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

Dead Island 2 is still in some developer comatose after Yager was let go and it was handed to Sumo Digital, meanwhile, a few days ago apparently Dying Light is doing "so good" that its getting another year of Free DLC.. Even though I'm not sure how much they could push after they killed off the protagonist in the Following. Essentially Dying Light and Dead Island are the new Dead Rising after Capcom's effectively mutilated that franchise into nothing with 4, but I'm wondering how long they realistically can milk DL without a sequel announcement at this point.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I started playing State of Decay about a week ago and more than anything it made me regret not getting Dying Light during the last sale.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been waiting for Dying Light to come down to a nice acceptable < £10 for what feels like years and then they went and released a ludicrously named complete edition so it's going to be at least another year or so. Smart, I guess

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordja posted:

DI2 was being developed by Yager, the Spec Ops people
As the dust settles after a brief fight where I kicked a dozen zombies to death - a faint whisper rises from the pile of motionless bodies. I slowly approach it with my trusty electro-fire-machette in hand while trying to make the words out.

"...you are a good person..."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, I guess I can see the point as to why they don't really put a foot out into developing DL2 as what do you do with it? DL itself was Techland taking their ball and making Dead Island 1.5 and sanding off the unnecessary fat from the original series like cutting it down it just one unoffensive character that can do anything. Plus BE THE ZOMBIE didn't really go anywhere as it isn't even have the tissue that Watch_Dogs does in aping Souls gimmicks. What do you do with the game now, take it to America like DL2 did?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Every so often I'm going on pcpartpicker pricing up my next build, gotta have 4K gotta be on the cutting edge. Nvidia sends me an email asking what my 3 most anticipated games are, I cant name one. Resident Evil 2 remake is about the only thing I'm looking forward to, and the redemption of the Battlefield franchise cause its been all downhill since 4. About the most satisfaction I get and thus most of what my queue is on Steam is all 8 bit retro platformers and junk. Why cant someone make a game thats retro styled in gameplay but looks awesome?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

This is a long shot, but does anyone have a spare copy of the CAPCOM Humble Bundle that ended like yesterday? I got caught up in stuff and forgot to pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I have the steam app and it doesn't seem to be too much of a pain to sell all checked items, whats the best way to list a bunch and then go approve them all there?

I never paid attention to stickers or cards and I have pages and pages of them I'd like to either get rid of or use. No sense in updating a profile if I don't care about friends lists right? Just sell all this crap for under a quarter?

• Locked thread