Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Who the gently caress is responsible for deciding websites with articles on should scroll slowly for you?

People who alter native scrolling will have a special place in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Just like COBOL right?

Exactly like COBOL. When the industry had something better/cheaper they moved. Those that are not off COBOL yet cannot justify the expense of moving. So yes, java will obviously die on the server too at some point when something better will come along. It hasn't yet, so it hasn't died yet. The tools that exist now that aim to kill java on the server are laughable at best. They'll grow ... maybe. They'll improve ... maybe.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
:rip:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spog posted:

Same people who think that the page width should be locked to an aspect ration designed for mobile phones in portrait mode.

My favorite is how these always declared to be "oh no we found the perfect width to read text at trust us and then in another 3 years that page hasn't changed and it looks like this, with the only thing different being it'd be centered in the middle of that horrible white space today:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Even I have never used that bus, although I expect I at least saw computers that made use of it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Ask me about my second computer that was MCA-based with 49 megs of ram.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pixaal posted:

We purchased a division of another company, their employees came over about a month ago. Old company has been dragging heels getting databases exported. User demands access to some comments. The database is custom and has a customer ID table, a "comment" table that has a "comment type" field that is apparently a random string that I can't figure out what it means and nothing is labeled. Several appears to have the same meaning and I can't get any documentation on what is what.

User is full of themselves and CCs the world saying it's unacceptable that they don't have the info yet (we got it Monday morning and are just looking at the nightmare). They want all of it so they can use it right now they are losing customers without this info. Well okay, it's 52GB and makes me cross eyed looking at it. I send a screen shot of the text file and am told that's not the right info.
Dump all the tables to CSV on a USB stick and send to the user. Data has been delivered, ticket resolved.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

People who alter native scrolling will have a special place in hell

Or when they gently caress with text selection, or change the size of the text when you doubleclick.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or add extra poo poo to your clipboard when you copy text.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Here's the age old question which no doubt gets asked every now and then;

Who's responsibility is it to maintain printer toner stock? (discounting things like managed print services)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It depends. If it's a big company with their own post department. Then it's on them. If it's a small company. Then I think the office manager?

who am i kidding. It's not the office manager, but IT :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Facilities

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

Who's responsibility is it to maintain printer toner stock? (discounting things like managed print services)

It's going to depend on the company. Sometimes its the department, which tends to lead to every department having different models and paying more for toner. Other times it's purchasing who will always buy the cheapest compatible toner for whatever models IT standardizes on, and will likely have a say in the printer models that eventually end up there due to toner prices and wont always get that yes this toner is $300 the old one was $90 but they print 50,000 pages a month and this $300 one prints a ton more pages and it'll save money.

It being fully controlled by IT, you tend to get quality toner and everything standardized you can use remote monitoring tools to keep track of the toner and replace the toner without users ever even seeing a low toner warning (leave the warning enabled but lower it way down on the printer so users only see it when there is an actual supply issue or helpdesk hosed up and ignored the monitoring software).

I prefer IT orders a printer that suites the departments needs and curating a list of 5-6 models I'd be okay with supporting and letting them pick one then they buy the toner. If they want something off list they must get it approved for IT to support the driver issue and maintenance, don't make it a huge deal have a check list even if it's bullshit and show them where it fails. The idea is a non standard printer is going to be too big a pain in the rear end to order since most people will pick out some horrible poo poo the first few times.

I'd rather have IT in charge of the toner if it means IT gets to pick out the printer. The best case the department picking out whatever printer they want and a 3rd party handling maintenance and toner replacement entirely is the absolute best.

I hate dealing with an inkjet that some department just had to have because it was a good deal and wont throw the gently caress out because it's only 3 weeks old and what do you mean it's broken beyond repair and the warranty doesn't cover this because we bought it used and it's expired.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 26, 2017

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Last place I worked at handled it pretty well I think, we were pretty standardized across a couple of printer models for the most part.

Since we had so many remote sites we had a contract with a company to provide reman toner cartridges, and each location was responsible for ordering/replacing. At HQ, we just kept a stock in the IT storeroom and people walked down to get them so we would know when to reorder.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Super Slash posted:

We use a company called Print Adminstrate here at the hospital to manage that. We in IT install the printers then slap a label with PA's number on it and tell the users to call them if there are issues.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Collateral Damage posted:

Or add extra poo poo to your clipboard when you copy text.

FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE COMEDY WEBSITE SOMETHINGAWFUL.COM (C) 2016

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE COMEDY WEBSITE SOMETHINGAWFUL.COM (C) 2016

I like the fact that have last year in the (C), because everyone forgets to update that thing or the content is so old.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

tomapot posted:

I like the fact that have last year in the (C), because everyone forgets to update that thing or the content is so old.

Have a website that went up in 2015 that says (c) 2003-2013. :iiam: we didn't have a web presence until 2009

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm having one of those mornings where I really hate this place, and this industry and myself. I don't know what it is about me that makes people treat me like I'm invisible. Like an appliance. I'm sick of it. I can't even write about it anymore. It's so stupid and exhausting.

I'm tired, and I'm old. And I'm so weary of being discarded.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm having one of those mornings where I really hate this place, and this industry and myself. I don't know what it is about me that makes people treat me like I'm invisible. Like an appliance. I'm sick of it. I can't even write about it anymore. It's so stupid and exhausting.

:glomp:

Spew toner on everyone and everything, they can't ignore that!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm getting really sick of the senior on the desk not wanting to send out all-users emails for anything. Find out about a service interruption that was just fixed? Well, we didn't let them know in the first place that it was down, why let them know it was fixed! Abnormally large amount of phishing emails? Don't bother sending out an advisory, who cares if some of our older users click on it. People might EMAIL US MORE.

Guy is really bad at communication, and it's aggravating.

Dick Trauma posted:

Aww, gently caress. Dick, you deserve so much better and it kills me that you're not getting it :(

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

this is depression talking

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

Hang in there friend. It's definitely poo poo, but you'll get through it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Over the past 19 years the industry has decided that general-purpose rackmount servers don't need hardware video acceleration. And, they're right.

It does have 2d acceleration like bitblt, just not opengl. Turn off 'desktop effects' or whatever and it should be just fine in a 1998ish sort of way. But, again, rack mounts aren't for video. I've managed commercial Unix boxes with no video output capability at all, just serial.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

S-100

and yes, I had a CP/M system with that bus. Working. 8" floppies, dBase II, WordStar, SuperCalc.....

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

n/m. That was some real e/n bullshit.

EDIT: I was down in the loading dock and saw that someone had made a pile of Dell dock holder/monitor stand combos next to the ewaste bin. I have a lot of Dell laptops here so I dug through and scored an E Port Plus! It was the older USB 2 model but still, nice to have a free spare around. So... a thing not pissing me off.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 26, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

Ok, but take care of yourself please. PM me if you want to chat about it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: I was down in the loading dock and saw that someone had made a pile of Dell dock holder/monitor stand combos next to the ewaste bin. I have a lot of Dell laptops here so I dug through and scored an E Port Plus! It was the older USB 2 model but still, nice to have a free spare around. So... a thing not pissing me off.

This is poo poo that pisses you off. You were just avoiding derails.

Stay safe, trauma ghost!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
:gonk: "I accidentally deleted a file, and I need it."

:bang: *checks backup for that folder, no previous versions* Uh, did you move that file today?

:gonk:"Yes, and I deleted the folder that it was in before."

:bang:Oh dear. Do you remember what folder it was in before?

:gonk:"Yes, XXXX\XXXXXX\XXXXXX\XXXX"

:bang:That...doesn't exist, even in the back ups. Are you sure you remember?

These people have done a huge rearrangement of all the folders and structures in the department network drive all in one day, and then decided it was wise to start deleting poo poo. Come ON! Give me a break, at least give me the file name, instead of "well, it was in this folder! It was a pdf!" You deleted that folder! And you don't remember what the path was so I can't find that folder in the backups because you have literally 2000+ folders.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Ok, but take care of yourself please. PM me if you want to chat about it.

Thank you. The breadth and depth of my unhappy story is such that I would probably be unable to tell it without developing seizures but I appreciate the offer.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GPF posted:

S-100

and yes, I had a CP/M system with that bus. Working. 8" floppies, dBase II, WordStar, SuperCalc.....

I've used and serviced an SS-30 machine, but my first personal machine had its RAM on an ISA card. I searched for a picture of it to include, but I think I'd rather post what is probably the most appropriate google suggestion ever:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

People have been bitching about product images because the images given to me are poo poo with horrible angles and poor lighting nothing I can do. Sales manager took it upon her self to not tell anyone and upload thousands of product images that are still not professionally done and look bad but are now the massive 100MB+ TIF files. She uploaded these to the sales drive and not the images drive. She of course has no space restrictions because politics. She has been renaming the files because they were named just a string of numbers. Sales drive is backed up hourly as a diff, but because new name entirely new file!

Guess who is out of backup space and need to set an emergency full backup and lose all of today's incrementals? She even changed the folder name and apparently tried to figure out batch files and there's 4 separate copies of all the files at different stages. This is like 100GB of just images per folder.

I migrated everything to the images share in a new folder. That share is only backed up once a month since it rarely changes, she has until Tuesday at 2AM to get it right for it to be in the backup if not see you in September (I'll actually run a manual backup when she finishes for this much stuff)

I just hate getting complaints about stuff that is mostly out of my control, then someone takes it upon themselves to "fix it" and makes the 1 part that is my job worse and breaks that horribly.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 26, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

People have been bitching about product images because the images given to me are poo poo with horrible angles and poor lighting nothing I can do. Sales manager took it upon her self to not tell anyone and upload thousands of product images that are still not professionally done and look bad but are now the massive 100MB+ TIF files. She uploaded these to the sales drive and not the images drive. She of course has no space restrictions because politics. She has been renaming the files because they were named just a string of numbers. Sales drive is backed up hourly as a diff, but because new name entirely new file!

Same here but employee photos. $99 point and shoot camera from 2009. poo poo lighting, not shot on a solid background, some are head shots, some are waist up blah blah

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you. The breadth and depth of my unhappy story is such that I would probably be unable to tell it without developing seizures but I appreciate the offer.

Pls talk to someone if you feel you need to

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

I just hate getting complaints about stuff that is mostly out of my control, then someone takes it upon themselves to "fix it" and makes the 1 part that is my job worse and breaks that horribly.

This is what I love about :yaycloud: (SaaS) - I get the SAML part working and email sending credentials/SPF stuff if necessary, then I leave it to the team that use the software to sort their own poo poo out with the provider. If they want to cheap out and use something poo poo then at least it's not being poo poo on the backups or infrastructure that I'm responsible for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Pls talk to someone if you feel you need to

And please keep looking for a better place to work. There are better ones out there, even though you haven't had any luck finding them yet. It took me until my seventh job to find one that I was looking forward to going to on Sunday night. Just keep trying, you've been there for two or three years now, right?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

Do you have a therapist to talk to? I find it helps a lot.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I've used and serviced an SS-30 machine, but my first personal machine had its RAM on an ISA card. I searched for a picture of it to include, but I think I'd rather post what is probably the most appropriate google suggestion ever:

New thread title. Also, I'm surprised it wasn't
"Showing results for RUM over ICE."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Do you have a therapist to talk to? I find it helps a lot.

I haven't really had someone to talk to since the early nineties. I think that part of my brain has shriveled up. I've survived on a combination of habit, stubbornness and the knowledge that without the income I generate my elderly parents are screwed.

I tried therapy when I worked at the last place and it was a weird and not satisfying experience. I think at my age I'm well beyond untangling my psyche with a few self-affirmation exercises.

Also my therapist literally believed in magic which was a big turnoff for me. Like presto-changeo abracadabra stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't really had someone to talk to since the early nineties. I think that part of my brain has shriveled up. I've survived on a combination of habit, stubbornness and the knowledge that without the income I generate my elderly parents are screwed.

I tried therapy when I worked at the last place and it was a weird and not satisfying experience. I think at my age I'm well beyond untangling my psyche with a few self-affirmation exercises.

Also my therapist literally believed in magic which was a big turnoff for me.

Find a therapist that is not literally insane, I am engaged to one, believe me, it is ESPECIALLY useful to people that lack a proper support structure (friends/family) that they can talk to, vent to, and receive support/sympathy/advice from.