Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coolspaz posted:

How in the ever loving gently caress do I kill/stop/not get butt hosed by a Griller. I'm pretty bad at this game, but running for my life and still getting curb stomped by a Griller seems to be counter productive.

A Griller targeting you is not your problem, combat-wise anyway. Establish a route and let your teammates burn it down while you kite it around the map. The only time you fight it is when they've stunned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've found my niche in Splattershot Pro. Now if only the people who get disconnected mid-match could get fed up with this game and shelf it, this game would be incredibly good.

Like even when a disconnect leads to a win, it still doesn't feel like a good win... :(

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A Griller targeting you is not your problem, combat-wise anyway. Establish a route and let your teammates burn it down while you kite it around the map. The only time you fight it is when they've stunned it.

Just to make sure, the spaceship things with red laser pointers are Grillers right?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Coolspaz posted:

Just to make sure, the spaceship things with red laser pointers are Grillers right?

Yes.

My training didn't prepare me for the first time I had to fight Grillers...

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
Can someone make a "How to not suck at salmon run" cheat sheet?

I know there is also a mother ship thing that I'll probably never see but if I can get basic strats for each boss/round it would really help me

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

So now that I switched to ranked, my previous days of topping the turf war charts with the aerospray are over and I'm getting wrecked. What's a good general all purpose weapon to take to ranked while I learn all the different mechanics now that I'm playing with people above the mouth breathing level?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coolspaz posted:

They're big barbeque grills on little trolley wheels :allears:.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

sleepness posted:

So now that I switched to ranked, my previous days of topping the turf war charts with the aerospray are over and I'm getting wrecked. What's a good general all purpose weapon to take to ranked while I learn all the different mechanics now that I'm playing with people above the mouth breathing level?

N-Zap 85', and all the Splattershot variants are extremely safe and good for learning

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
i still think the manhole wave with the hidden goldies is a crapshoot. i have yet to be able to tell any difference between the manhole glows even though the game claims there is one

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

AfroGunsou posted:

i still think the manhole wave with the hidden goldies is a crapshoot. i have yet to be able to tell any difference between the manhole glows even though the game claims there is one

I don't know if it's bugged or a jape but occasionally there actually are gushers that are brighter than the others but I've never seen a goldie in one.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Coolspaz posted:

I know there is also a mother ship thing that I'll probably never see but if I can get basic strats for each boss/round it would really help me

It's all about playing to your current weapon's advantages, and experience helping you do that quickly. Like if you're given the Charger on a Griller round, you can help a ton going exclusively for the Griller's tongues, but you'd be hurting the team if you focused on the lil baby fish, for example. It's all pretty organic. For whatever weapon you're given, spend the first 10 seconds of warm-up thinking how it'd work well, and how it'd be wasted. This doesn't always mean offense, as the rollers are probably best keeping paths cleared for your team.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I hope adding slots won't be expensive. There's been a lot of fresh clothes that haven't had max slots.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Does the ability chunk cost increase if you keep stacking the same sub ability? It's 20 chunks to add +run speed to a gear that has run speed as its main ability and 1 run speed sub ability

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Do grillers get harder or something? I see everyone bitching about them but everytime they spawn they spawn with literally nothing else so they just immediately get sniped while slowly meandering near the egg basket

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Coolspaz posted:

Rounds are generally random.

It's easy really.

Only 2 weapons really require a cheat sheet and that is, charger because you are likely going to be the one tasked with killing bomb heads and other things with weakpoints in the air, and roller because you are going to be ensuring that there are safe pathways for your team to maneuver around in.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're playing with someone who hasn't seen them before or doesn't understand the red laser they will inevitably accidentally walk them over your entire team

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Moray towers is really the only map I don't enjoy in turf wars. I find it incredibly frustrating, and never seem to do well there.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

g0lbez posted:

Do grillers get harder or something? I see everyone bitching about them but everytime they spawn they spawn with literally nothing else so they just immediately get sniped while slowly meandering near the egg basket

I would definitely not classify Grillers as slow. So either you have different standards about what fast is or they actually do get way faster later on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

g0lbez posted:

Grillers can be annoying when your ranged weapon pug players are trash.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Whenever I lose it's because everybody is a 9 year old who can't play their loving class but when I win Splatoon is mlg, high level, thinkies esports, hobby grade choice + epic!

this. ps thsi game loving rules and its all i can think about at work, on the train, in public, etc

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Coolspaz posted:

Haha yeah. Spaceship things. Looks like they've got some kind of...small pastries??? in them too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Saint Freak posted:

Haha yeah. Spaceship things. Looks like they've got some kind of...small pastries??? in them too.

They've got fish thrashing around inside as they cook and drip goo :stare:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fungah! posted:

this. ps thsi game loving rules and its all i can think about at work, on the train, in public, etc

:yeah:

I'm having fun playing Splatoon on the Nintendo Switch. It's fun to drop into peoples' turf war queues on my friends list. I gotta start playing some ranked this week.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fungah! posted:

im thinkin about those squid

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
lol if you're not checking the phone app shop every 2 hours and constantly refreshing every web 1.0 forums' splatoon thread

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I really just need to go ahead and get all the abilities tattooed on my forearm so I have a handy reference when I'm browsing gear on the phone app

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
boy howdy am I bad at this game

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Does the Pro Controller have harder to press analog sticks? I always seem to be inadvertently using my special when just trying to swim around quickly or I'm in a firefight and it's kind of annoying. Using the joycon grip.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

g0lbez posted:

Eventually you get two coming at the same time, and generally targeting the same person. Run.

Afro posted:

Does the Pro Controller have harder to press analog sticks? I always seem to be inadvertently using my special when just trying to swim around quickly or I'm in a firefight and it's kind of annoying. Using the joycon grip.

Kinda? It also helps just having a bigger controller in your hands that you're not holding so tightly really. I didn't have that problem myself, but a Pro Controller would almost certainly stop it happening. Just make sure it's the Splatoon Pro Controller :colbert:.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno what I expected the Hero Dualies to be, but at least i can look cooler in turf war

I love the chicken griller.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

spit on my clit posted:

I dunno what I expected the Hero Dualies to be, but at least i can look cooler in turf war

It's just the vanilla Dualies loadout, right?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
How the hell do I beat the shower boss with the Hero Dualies

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's just the vanilla Dualies loadout, right?

Yep.

HellCopter posted:

How the hell do I beat the shower boss with the Hero Dualies

hope the boss goes to the grind rails. its the only way i was able to beat it

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eventually you get two coming at the same time, and generally targeting the same person. Run.

Yeah I've gotten this and they still have never posted even a slight threat. Guess I've just been paired up with some good crews

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My router started failing after a weekend of heavy splatting. I hope that's a coincidence :v:

I've got a new one already ordered, so I'll just have to deal with having to reboot my router every few hours until Friday.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ink armor and blast grenades makes the trislosher kit so much less good... bubbler disruptor combo was so sick. Legit sad :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ink armor is the best skill in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In Training posted:

Ink armor is the best skill in the game

I wish splatling gun had it. It'd be a sweet team boosting ink recharge button.