Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I believe on the ASUS board that was being linked earlier in the week, The Rampage Fury Omega Umlaut Kumquat Turbo edition or whatever the hell it was, the shroud over where a chipset would normally be actually is hiding an M.2 slot, and the shroud itself comes pre-affixed with a thermal pad and acts as a dissipator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Hmm Vega looks ok and my new monitor has free sync by accident.

Might shift my 980ti over to act as a cuda slave on a Linux box for NN training.

AMD breaking 15 on afterhours

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Holy lol if you buy vega

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If its cheap enough its worth it even if it is power hungry. But yeah probably won't be cheap enough at launch I'm guessing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
rx vega might make sense if it's really cheap (it absolutely won't be)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Obv gonna wait for the reviews and ideally the fire sale after it tanks

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You'll probably need to wait for single socket Epyc CPU and platform to come out if you want a white box work horse mobo.

If you can't wait for that then just buy TR and turn off all the LED's on your mobo of choice. HEDT on either AMD and Intel is at least as much about doubling down on RGB blinkenlights now as it is about having moar corezzz.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This! I wish they would make some no-frills mobo's like Intel used to do. I don't want lights, I want a quiet mobo with some solid components.

eames posted:

The early Gigabyte X399 leaks looked fine.

but somehow turned into this thanks to their marketing department:

Gotta say though, that's an excellent LPC ratio (LEDs Per Core). LED enthusiasts should be pleased.

Hey there's always hope

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/878575914996695040

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Just swapped out the stock thermal paste for Arctic Cooling MX-4 and installed four of their F14 PWM fans to replace the cases stock Fractal Design fans. Net win from this? mprime/Prime95 went from 68.5C to 65.0C, idle temperatures dropped from 42C to 40C.

It doesn't sound any louder at idle and it doesn't go all the way up the fan curve at load like it used to.

eames
May 9, 2009

so basically this

(Supermicro's latest Z270 enthusiast board)

with a n month delay for UEFI/AGESA updates versus the bigger OEMs? I'm going to need some convincing. :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Supermicro making a non green, plain jane motherboard is still weird for me.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
If it doesn't light up my case like a christmas tree I might buy one.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Malcolm XML posted:

AMD breaking 15 on afterhours

Yeah, this was what I came here to mention - their stock is at like a 10-year high right now. Perfect time to sell the 300 shares I bought at $9-10 and fund a Zen+ or Coffee Lake rig with the delta.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, this was what I came here to mention - their stock is at like a 10-year high right now. Perfect time to sell the 300 shares I bought at $9-10 and fund a Zen+ or Coffee Lake rig with the delta.

This seems like good timing because unless AMD is sitting on a major reveal then Vega is just a disaster, and it's going to be publically called out as such in reviews. Especially given how much AMD seemed to be implying that Vega FE wasn't representative of RX Vega's performance. When it comes down to it, AMD and their fanclub have been heaping a lot of poo poo on reviewers (all of whom went out of their way to get samples with their own money) with the whole "it's not a gaming card!" schtick. And when it turns out that no, RX Vega doesn't come with a pony and free blowjobs then reviewers are gonna have their told-you-so moment.

Early reports from Finland and Sweden put the MSRP for Vega XTX (with AIO) at 850 EUR before VAT. They don't have the performance and if they price it appropriately the margins are going to suck. Either way it's a tremendous fail from a financial standpoint.

I mean, AMD is more than RTG obviously, but having a brand new very expensive GPU be a steaming turd doesn't seem like it will help stock prices. It seems likely they will tank after the launch and eventually recover, but if you want out then now seems like a good time to do it.

I suck at stock trading though so you're probably better off not listening to me :v:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't aware of much of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

I may end up an AMD "fan" just because the only other choice is Intel. I wonder if they'll do it again, so far it seems to have paid off.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

This seems like good timing because unless AMD is sitting on a major reveal then Vega is just a disaster, and it's going to be publically called out as such in reviews. Especially given how much AMD seemed to be implying that Vega FE wasn't representative of RX Vega's performance. When it comes down to it, AMD and their fanclub have been heaping a lot of poo poo on reviewers (all of whom went out of their way to get samples with their own money) with the whole "it's not a gaming card!" schtick. And when it turns out that no, RX Vega doesn't come with a pony and free blowjobs then reviewers are gonna have their told-you-so moment.

Early reports from Finland and Sweden put the MSRP for Vega XTX (with AIO) at 850 EUR before VAT. They don't have the performance and if they price it appropriately the margins are going to suck. Either way it's a tremendous fail from a financial standpoint.

I mean, AMD is more than RTG obviously, but having a brand new very expensive GPU be a steaming turd doesn't seem like it will help stock prices. It seems likely they will tank after the launch and eventually recover, but if you want out then now seems like a good time to do it.

I suck at stock trading though so you're probably better off not listening to me :v:

From having watched their stock performance for the past year since buying the shares, I mostly agree - I think you could do a lot worse than just buying after GPU news and selling after CPU news.

I bought 300x at $9 back when Ryzen 7 was incoming but still unreleased based on the strength of the rumors, thinking "if the hype leaks have this many actual strong benchmarks attached then they should do OK, unless everyone's just lying." Sold 100x at $13.50 right before release to lock in some gains in case it was a horrible bomb, and was tempted to sell the remaining 200 when they briefly spiked to $15 following release but waited too long. When they dipped back down to $10 I thought "they're worth more than this, Ryzen's strength implies a lot of potential with Epyc and selling server CPUs will make them rich even if Vega is a bust" and bought back the 100x I sold at 13.50. I had been watching this week already for any reaction to the Threadripper announcements, but forgot about the quarterly financials and of course that's an even bigger deal. Now, selling all 300 at $15.30, I think my total gross profit from the whole adventure is $2240 if my math is right. Once consumer Vega hits and is so terrible it knocks them back down to $10-11 maybe I'll try to repeat it.

Of course, I also don't actually know anything about trading but I suspect that describes most people who do it. At least by knowing my ignorance I'm one step up, as Socrates would tell us.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 26, 2017

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Measly Twerp posted:

I may end up an AMD "fan" just because the only other choice is Intel. I wonder if they'll do it again, so far it seems to have paid off.

Yeah I always sorta knew intel did shady poo poo in mid 2000s or some poo poo but MAN is this nuts.
Like a thousand yard stare nuts...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

TheCoach posted:

Yeah I always sorta knew intel did shady poo poo in mid 2000s or some poo poo but MAN is this nuts.
Like a thousand yard stare nuts...

Christ tell me about it. I knew they did some poo poo, but not on this long and pervasive a level.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is why even when we build Intel machines, we hope AMD does well, because without AMD applying SOME kind of pressure, Intel has no incentive to do anything but sit on its rear end and soak consumers for every last penny.

They've proven that they are fundamentally dishonest and willing to break the law in order to maintain their market dominance.

Just imagine where we'd be if Bulldozer was the poo poo, as opposed to just being poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 26, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is why even when we build Intel machines, we hope AMD does well, because without AMD applying SOME kind of pressure, Intel has no incentive to do anything but sit on its rear end and soak consumers for every last penny.

They've proven that they are fundamentally dishonest and willing to break the law in order to maintain their market dominance.

Just imagine where we'd be if Bulldozer was the poo poo, as opposed to just being poo poo.

Yea. I really hope Ryzen results in the 6c coffeelake chips costing less. 6c needs to be a mainstream thing really for desktops, IMHO.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yea. I really hope Ryzen results in the 6c coffeelake chips costing less. 6c needs to be a mainstream thing really for desktops, IMHO.

I don't know that it will given the way intel makes their cpus, and intel probably still wants to make the same margins.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

PerrineClostermann posted:

Christ tell me about it. I knew they did some poo poo, but not on this long and pervasive a level.

If every country had hit Intel as hard as the EU did, they might have changed their actual business practices. But alas...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SourKraut posted:

If every country had hit Intel as hard as the EU did, they might have changed their actual business practices. But alas...

Isn't that still in appeal?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't that still in appeal?

Yup.

edit: looks like they're going to rule on it sometime in 2018. Maybe.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 27, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:wtc:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

The 1600 is a good enough chip that why would you want to see 6C Coffeelake everywhere? Only real possible issue is if AMD can supply the volume or not. If they can't sure, I can understand rooting for AMD to force Intel to drop prices enough on 6C chips to become more mainstream.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
We're not so much as the AMD fanboy thread as we are the AMD Emotional Support Group And Industry Progress Commentary Thread. :v:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:lawyers:

If it's one thing Back to the Future 2 guessed significantly wrong, it was the legal system.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SourKraut posted:

:lawyers:

If it's one thing Back to the Future 2 guessed significantly wrong, it was the legal system.

Yup. Also looks like the ruling actually is in September.

http://fortune.com/2017/06/30/eu-antirust-intel/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The 1600 is a good enough chip that why would you want to see 6C Coffeelake everywhere?

Because some people will buy intel regardless (not me), it'd be great if software devs optimised for >4 cores.

I get that a few games already are and some software by nature is.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The 1600 is a good enough chip that why would you want to see 6C Coffeelake everywhere?

Because we are consumers trying to get the best goods for as cheap as possible from huge billion dollar multinational corporations?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

Because we are consumers trying to get the best goods for as cheap as possible from huge billion dollar multinational corporations?
Intel tends to dissappoint so thoroughly on pricing that its unreasonable to make any expectations they're going to compete on price enough to matter here. Maybe if AMD had a hands down performance lead the story would be different and you'd see a ~$200 6C/12T Coffeelake but that isn't the case.

it'd be great if software devs optimised for >4 cores.
Isn't this already happening? Its taken years but now there are several games that will use up to 8 threads. If you mean you want games that will use 12 threads or more unfortunately I think you're going to be waiting a very long time.

edit: That is still ~50%+ more expensive than what the 1600 is currently going for though. While certainly cheaper than what they used to sell a 6C/12T chip for that doesn't really seem all that affordable or "cheap" per se.\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 27, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Intel is definitely putting the 6C/12T CPU in the 299-349$ category. Hyperthreading may actually move to i5s, which would be 4C/8T and the i3s will become 4C/4T. Pentiums and Celerons might just be Skylake chips.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eames posted:

The early Gigabyte X399 leaks looked fine.

but somehow turned into this thanks to their marketing department:

Gotta say though, that's an excellent LPC ratio (LEDs Per Core). LED enthusiasts should be pleased.

loving gamers haven't changed since 2002. Even the new generation have the same horrible tastes as their parents.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i mean all the good motherboards let you turn the LEDs off and they cost pennies, thats why they are on everything. i dunno if its too worth getting worked up over, especially when unironically buying a cpu named _-~+=ThReAdRiPpEr=+~-_

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cygni posted:

i mean all the good motherboards let you turn the LEDs off and they cost pennies, thats why they are on everything. i dunno if its too worth getting worked up over, especially when unironically buying a cpu named _-~+=ThReAdRiPpEr=+~-_

old people get angry at diodes

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

VostokProgram posted:

old people get angry at diodes

Get them off my motherboard and make AMD pay for it!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just doh if for the first boot you don't enable the most garish Christmas mode, and switch the house lights off.

It's like a first boot rite of passage for me now.

I wish there was some valid reason for a full on bank of LEDs on a case, connection machine style. I miss the Abit status LED's that showed the boot status. Useful LEDs own.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 27, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"When in doubt, dike it out."

Words to live by, goes for LEDs just as much as code.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there a way to pull average load for a given type of execution unit on a per-core basis? That would be cool to visualize on one of those 8x8x8 LED cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there a way to pull average load for a given type of execution unit on a per-core basis? That would be cool to visualize on one of those 8x8x8 LED cubes.

Something like the blinkenlights on the old BeBoxes would be cool.