Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Ink armor recharges your ink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Ink armor recharges your ink?

All specials fill the tank.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I wish splatling gun had it. It'd be a sweet team boosting ink recharge button.

NOW IS COWARD SPLATTING TIME! :ussr:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jonas Albrecht posted:

All specials fill the tank.

And the best part is that Ink Armor doesn't spend a bunch of time making you do something else after you activate it like a bunch of the other specials. It stops you momentarily and then you can get right back to whatever you were doing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In Training posted:

Ink armor is the best skill in the game

splashdown

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

splashdown

Its rad and helpful in certain situations but being able to buff your entire teams defense and give yourself full ammo without being stuck in any animations or attacks is fantastic all the time

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I already thought ink armor was the best special already but I didn't know it gave everyone a full tank so now it's bester

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lakbay posted:

I already thought ink armor was the best special already but I didn't know it gave everyone a full tank so now it's bester

It gives everyone armor, it only gives you a full tank (i think).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm partial to Tenta Missiles myself, but Ink Armor is pretty drat great. Though I think it's really something that needs Voice Chat to get the most out of it though, just so you can coordinate the best time to actually pop it on your buddies.

Nephzinho posted:

It gives everyone armor, it only gives you a full tank (i think).

That's correct. All the Specials will refill your tank.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm partial to Tenta Missiles myself, but Ink Armor is pretty drat great. Though I think it's really something that needs Voice Chat to get the most out of it though, just so you can coordinate the best time to actually pop it on your buddies.

That's correct. All the Specials will refill your tank.

Get all four lock-ons with the missiles is really satisfying.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How does League mode actually work? Haven't tried it yet, just peaked at the boards and saw its just straight japanese up top. Are there ranks? Do they just shoot medals out at the end of every 2 hour window?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

Get all four lock-ons with the missiles is really satisfying.

I keep hoping for that one magical round where I'll manage the full quatra-kill with it :allears:. Best I've managed is three.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

How does League mode actually work? Haven't tried it yet, just peaked at the boards and saw its just straight japanese up top. Are there ranks? Do they just shoot medals out at the end of every 2 hour window?

You have 2 hours to play a bunch of matches and after every game your League Power increases/decreases accordingly. At the end of the 2 hours they rank everyone and dole out medals based on your leaderboard placement. Its a lot of fun.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

NOW IS COWARD SPLATTING TIME! :ussr:

That feeling when the entire enemy team charges you in a straight line down a corridor and you have a full charge. :black101:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

splashdown

Nothing is funnier than absorbing a splash down with ink armor and then responding to it with a bucket of ink to the face.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The splashdown during super jump is some sick tech. Absolutely shreds in tower control

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've seen some people say Ink Armor absorbs one hit but in my experience it's more like it absorbs enough damage to go from full health to dead before it breaks. Like I've heard the armour twang sound multiple times when getting hit by SMG fire before it breaks. What's the deal with it?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Training posted:

The splashdown during super jump is some sick tech. Absolutely shreds in tower control

This is my favorite thing to do. Baiting people with the jump indicator is so friggin' satisfying

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not a Children posted:

This is my favorite thing to do. Baiting people with the jump indicator is so friggin' satisfying

I learned about this while camping a jump indicator and I couldn't even be angry about it. Like I kind of deserved it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Yeah I dropped my hidden super jump shoes for drop roller.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Not a Children posted:

I think it's neat when I'm hitting someone with a splatling gun and they try to splashdown out of it only for me to get them mid-air. :kiddo:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

BattleMaster posted:

I've seen some people say Ink Armor absorbs one hit but in my experience it's more like it absorbs enough damage to go from full health to dead before it breaks. Like I've heard the armour twang sound multiple times when getting hit by SMG fire before it breaks. What's the deal with it?

I read that it absorbs 30 damage

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lakbay posted:

I read that it absorbs 30 damage

That's worse than I thought but I'm okay with specials not being huge gently caress you buttons anymore.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

BattleMaster posted:

In my experience it feels like it breaks in one hit, but you're still invincible for a half second after that hit.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm pretty sure the armor is guaranteed to absorb at least one hit, but does have extra health if it doesn't break in one hit.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm glad last second ink strikes are gone

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah I dropped my hidden super jump shoes for drop roller.

Drop roller is good? I bought the shoes but haven't tried that ability yet

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/raisin0207/status/890067885321834496
:stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

The fact that something is aimed at kids doesn't necessarily mean that is the market that it finds the most traction in though.

Cool hypothetical but everybody I know with a wiiu or a switch who has kids has splatoon 1 and/or 2 and plays it with their kids. Soooooo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Coolspaz posted:

Just to make sure, the spaceship things with red laser pointers are Grillers right?

They're not spaceships! They're grills!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That.. that is a lot of eggs. What paygrade was this done at?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Do you know why your Ranked Mode status can't drop below a C-?

Any further would be... D-grading.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You can skip the news report if you park yourself in the lobby and then just put your switch to sleep with the game running

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Coolspaz posted:

Can someone make a "How to not suck at salmon run" cheat sheet?

I know there is also a mother ship thing that I'll probably never see but if I can get basic strats for each boss/round it would really help me

You should have paid attention during the tutorial training session, employee!!

How to not suck at salmon run:

STICK TOGETHER. Holy poo poo stick together. This is #1. If you run off by yourself to kill some boss monster by yourself you are DOING IT WRONG. You kill that boss monster, they drop 3 golden eggs, you grab 1, and... what's your plan now hotshot? Meanwhile your teammates need your help somewhere else.

When possible, Lure bosses to the drop-off location. Its super easy to score 3 gold eggs if they're 1 foot from the turn-in. If they're on the opposite side of the map it takes much more work and time you spend swimming around is time you don't spend killing.

You get 2 Supers across the 3 rounds. They do not recharge from kills or painting ink. Survival at higher difficulty hinges on clutch use of supers to stay alive.

Constantly keep an eye on your teammates and if anybody dies rez them as soon as you possibly can.

Priority: Rez players > Kill minions that are in your way > Paint ink if you're in enemy ink > get gold eggs if less than the required amount > survive > get more golden eggs if you safely can

On higher difficulties, especially on round 3, if you have enough golden eggs to pass the round do not hesitate to run away from the drop-off and kite the enemies around the map. As long as you have enough golden eggs, you just need one person to survive until the timer runs out. Rez each other as much as possible.

Special rounds:

The gadflies round has one player get glowing fireflies around them. This player needs to run to a safe position fairly high up on the map. Basic enemies an golden salmon will spawn in massive numbers and charge that one player. Everybody else lines up somewhere on the path to that player and kills them before they can reach him. Its kinda like tower defense.

Grillers round has several big grills (ufos) spawn and target players. The targeted players should run to a safe position fairly high up on the map, and the rest of the players should line up and kill them as they pass. Similar to gadflies round, but you only have a few big bosses instead of waves of tiny dudes. You want to aim for the middle of the grill, where the tentacles are sticking out. You need to get 2-3 players firing at them at the same time, one person will have a very hard time stopping them.

Fog sometimes rolls in and makes it very hard to see. Stick even closer together than usual when this happens.

On some maps the tide comes in and out. If you see a wave of water overlayed on top of your screen at the start of the round, that means the tide is going up. Get to high ground and be careful of the water.

Boss monsters:

I'm not gonna explain how to kill each type because you should have paid attention during the tutorial, you can google if you've forgotten. But each boss monster can only be killed in their specific way, and you need to learn that and get really fast at it for higher difficulties.

Some monsters will follow you around the map so you can kite them to the drop-off. A couple types will not. It is important to recognize them.

The tower of pots that shoots laser beams will stand still, you need to go to it and kill it or it'll snipe you from across the map the whole time.

The umbrella that shoots missiles moves around a bit but doesn't need to be near you to rain on your parade.

The missile pod guy also has range and sometimes follows you but often sticks to the outside.

Also learn which bosses you can comfortably solo. Most of them can be taken down by 1 squid if you're on the ball, but a few of them make it very very difficult. The one boss that charges a big bomb on his head and then launches it is very hard to take down solo, but with a group you can kill him very fast.

If you're having trouble throwing grenades into the missile pod guy, the jetpack super will let you simply shoot straight into the pods to destroy them. Very fast!

If you're having trouble throwing grenades into the mouth of the shark that attacks from below, you *can* kill him simply by dodging him and shooting him with ink. It will take either multiple squids or you'll have to dodge and shoot him a couple times, but it can be done if you're missing the grenades a lot.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 26, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Cool hypothetical but everybody I know with a wiiu or a switch who has kids has splatoon 1 and/or 2 and plays it with their kids. Soooooo.

How does this have anything to do with what I posted?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're having trouble throwing grenades into the missile pod guy, the jetpack super will let you simply shoot straight into the pods to destroy them. Very fast!

I discovered this out of desperation the other day and felt so thrilled.

Another good general tip is just don't be afraid to use your specials when you need to. I have a bad tendency to want to conserve mine as long as possible and sometimes I need to just press that button.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Can Stingrays do anything about Flyfish (the missile guys?) I've tried a few times but it didn't work out because I suck at aiming and/or I time it poorly and something kills me first.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

This is correct. The armor puts you at 200% hp

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've one cycled the grabber with splat dualies before

Also the grace period for making it eat your bomb is pretty long so take your time to get your aim calibrated instead of panic throwing as soon as you see the circle