Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LethalGeek posted:

This is correct. The armor puts you at 200% hp

Excellent.

You're the only person to say that, and the wiki just says one hit as well, but an extra 100% HP matches up far closer with my observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

STICK TOGETHER. Holy poo poo stick together. This is #1. If you run off by yourself to kill some boss monster by yourself you are DOING IT WRONG. You kill that boss monster, they drop 3 golden eggs, you grab 1, and... what's your plan now hotshot? Meanwhile your teammates need your help somewhere else.

Totally, utterly wrong. There is zero reason to always be together in Salmon Run and if you don't split up at certain times you're gonna lose. Stingers basically mandate that someone goes off to clean them out otherwise you will get overwhelmed from afar. The key is to know when to split up. You should never be charging into groups of salmonids alone unless you have an escape plan. Stingers will always end up deserted because the rest of the salmonids have moved somewhere else, so one person running after them is usually safe at that point.

You will never recover every single golden egg at higher difficulties and survival takes precedence there since meeting quota is usually easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

How does this have anything to do with what I posted?

You said just because its marketed at kids doesn't mean it has lots of kids playing it.

But I know lots of kids that play it so that's somethin.

Internet Kraken posted:

Totally, utterly wrong. There is zero reason to always be together in Salmon Run and if you don't split up at certain times you're gonna lose. Stingers basically mandate that someone goes off to clean them out otherwise you will get overwhelmed from afar. The key is to know when to split up. You should never be charging into groups of salmonids alone unless you have an escape plan. Stingers will always end up deserted because the rest of the salmonids have moved somewhere else, so one person running after them is usually safe at that point.

You will never recover every single golden egg at higher difficulties and survival takes precedence there since meeting quota is usually easy.

If you keep reading I cover these things :v:

WRONG! SAD!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zaphod42 posted:

You should have paid attention during the tutorial training session, employee!!

How to not suck at salmon run:

STICK TOGETHER. Holy poo poo stick together. This is #1. If you run off by yourself to kill some boss monster by yourself you are DOING IT WRONG. You kill that boss monster, they drop 3 golden eggs, you grab 1, and... what's your plan now hotshot? Meanwhile your teammates need your help somewhere else.

My team usually can't kill the missile guys or the snipers so I have to run off and do it myself otherwise they just multiple. However I've saved runs by being the last survivor and GETTING THE gently caress OUT OF DODGE. Also spam help so you're more visible when you're down.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

You said just because its marketed at kids doesn't mean it has lots of kids playing it.

But I know lots of kids that play it so that's somethin.

No, I said that without data you can't just assume that the only people playing something is the target market. However I didn't make any claims about what the demographics are because I don't have any data.

I was actually hoping that someone had that data because I'm really curious what the demographics look like.

I assume tons and tons of kids are playing but I wonder if the ages skew upward when you start looking at people with high ranks. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the more hardcore players are weirdo 30 year olds like me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

If you keep reading I cover these things :v:

WRONG! SAD!

I did read your whole post, but that was the only part that really stood out as blatantly wrong. Telling people to always stick together is just bad advice.

The real key to Salmon Run is to play to your weapons strengths. There are lots of weapons that are really good at doing specific things in Salmon Run and learning this is how you make the most out of your time (and also avoid death). For example, an octobrush can quickly travel across the map and allows the user to escape pretty easily from nasty situations. This makes it ideal for a player that will often break off from the group and clean out stingers and flyfish. A charger player would be ill-suited for that, but the charger can kill a steelhead in a single shot while others weapons struggle against them. So figure out what your weapon is good at and aim to be doing that most of the time.

That's why I find Salmon Run really cool. At first it bothered me but being forced to use so many different weapons is great for learning all the different stuff you can do with them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

No, I said that without data you can't just assume that the only people playing something is the target market. However I didn't make any claims about what the demographics are because I don't have any data.

I was actually hoping that someone had that data because I'm really curious what the demographics look like.

I assume tons and tons of kids are playing but I wonder if the ages skew upward when you start looking at people with high ranks. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the more hardcore players are weirdo 30 year olds like me.

Yeah I assume most people at B+ or higher are not children. Teenagers at least.

Internet Kraken posted:

I did read your whole post, but that was the only part that really stood out as blatantly wrong. Telling people to always stick together is just bad advice.

The real key to Salmon Run is to play to your weapons strengths. There are lots of weapons that are really good at doing specific things in Salmon Run and learning this is how you make the most out of your time (and also avoid death). For example, an octobrush can quickly travel across the map and allows the user to escape pretty easily from nasty situations. This makes it ideal for a player that will often break off from the group and clean out stingers and flyfish. A charger player would be ill-suited for that, but the charger can kill a steelhead in a single shot while others weapons struggle against them. So figure out what your weapon is good at and aim to be doing that most of the time.

That's why I find Salmon Run really cool. At first it bothered me but being forced to use so many different weapons is great for learning all the different stuff you can do with them.

I never said the word always. How about that!

I guess I over-emphasized that killing a boss monster solo is a bad idea but often it is. Getting 2 people to hang together at least is good idea so you can support each other. Even if you're trying to solo pick off a big boss, you should keep aware of where your team is and stay as close as you can.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

BattleMaster posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the more hardcore players are weirdo 30 year olds like me.

The teams at the E3 inkvitational looked to be in their early to mid 20s if that means anything and they're the "top" players iirc

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is there a site with the splatoon 2 schedule on it? I haven't had any luck looking for salmon run times online.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

BattleMaster posted:

Excellent.
You're the only person to say that, and the wiki just says one hit as well, but an extra 100% HP matches up far closer with my observations.
I think the behavior is that once the shield takes a single hit, it does get destroyed, but it takes about half a second before it goes away. During that half a second, it can take infinite punishment.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I wish that the winning enemy team was displayed after matches to show off gear. I love looking at my own badass character every time but I want to force noobs to check me out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lakbay posted:

The teams at the E3 inkvitational looked to be in their early to mid 20s if that means anything and they're the "top" players iirc

They said that but this is also the company that invited Arin Hansen to the World Championship.

Gimbal lock posted:

I think the behavior is that once the shield takes a single hit, it does get destroyed, but it takes about half a second before it goes away. During that half a second, it can take infinite punishment.

Hell I'll take it.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Smiles posted:

senpai noticed me (>∀<)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm feeling pretty good about my ranked play right now. It's not common for me to make flashy plays where I wipe the enemy team by myself but I've been working well at cutting off enemy routes, flanking at appropriate times, distracting, and still winning many fights. My splat counts tend to look good but not mindblowing, but I'm making up for that by doing other things in the matches I play that contribute to our chances of victory.

Just had a match in rainmaker where we won with only 56 distance by the end. I flanked at the right time and got the rainmaker trapped on a grate and within the last minute the enemy couldn't put together a good plan to go safely get it, and on top of that I controlled ink positioning so if they did get it they'd have a bad route, lowering their chances of an overtime takeover.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Making me feel like sexchanging to a female inkling for Futaba cosplay purposes. Holy poo poo this is the most millennial thing I've ever typed by far.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

enojy posted:

Making me feel like sexchanging to a female inkling for Futaba cosplay purposes. Holy poo poo this is the most millennial thing I've ever typed by far.

I swap whenever I think a set of legwear the boy or girl has will look better with my current outfit (it's usually the girl since she has actual pants). It's okay since inklings are gender fluid

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm always the girl because the hair options are way better

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The direct says negates a single attack, no matter how strong. I really think this has changed. I don't feel like I've gotten tapped by a single bolt and then it faded,but I kinda count the hits I take and know when I'm down to my last.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LethalGeek posted:

The direct says negates a single attack, no matter how strong. I really think this has changed. I don't feel like I've gotten tapped by a single bolt and then it faded,but I kinda count the hits I take and know when I'm down to my last.

However it works it definitely has the ability to negate more than one attack.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

Can Stingrays do anything about Flyfish (the missile guys?) I've tried a few times but it didn't work out because I suck at aiming and/or I time it poorly and something kills me first.

Yeah, they can kill them, but you have to shoot the little dude in the middle rather than the pods.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Blank Construct posted:

Yeah, they can kill them, but you have to shoot the little dude in the middle rather than the pods.

Good to know, thanks; I think this is why I wasn't having that much success.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

However it works it definitely has the ability to negate more than one attack.

:yeah: and the fact it is team wide is pretty sick.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you shoot inkarmor with something that fires a ton but doesn't necessarily do much damage like a splatling gun you can hear the different tinktinktinktinktinktinktinktinktinktinktink like a dozen times

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Just to add on to the Salmon Run guide:

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're dealing with Stingers across the map, it's completely acceptable to go solo, take it out, grab one egg then join your team again. Splitting up will be a lot more important when on Profreshional where the prority shifts a lot more to taking things out then grabbing all the eggs that drop, but just don't be stupid about it when going solo. Pairs works well too.

quote:

Constantly keep an eye on your teammates and if anybody dies rez them as soon as you possibly can.

Pro tip for reviving people: if you have the ink, throw bombs. It's something you can do while swimming through ink, won't really slow you down, and you din't even need to be very close to them to revive them.

quote:

Grillers round has several big grills (ufos) spawn and target players. The targeted players should run to a safe position fairly high up on the map, and the rest of the players should line up and kill them as they pass.

Griller tips are good, but I wouldn't call them UFOs when one of the boss events is literally an Alien Mothership. Also, Rollers are perfect for dealing with Small Fry, so help out your Charger if they get swarmed.

Speaking of the boss events not covered:

Nighttime Event - Mothership

• Spread out at the start and keep looking up when you can.
  • Aim to hit the Salmonids before they drop boxes to get a Golden Egg.
  • If you can't stop a box from being dropped, it'll spawn Salmonids, so try to take them out or else you can get overwhelmed. Throw bombs at distant ones if you can spare the ink to save time.
  • Twice a round, the Mothership will try to steal Golden Eggs from your basket. When Mr. Grizz warns you, you have about 10 seconds to wrap up what you're doing before you should immediately head back to the basket, where you need at the minimum three people (or two with a special like Sting Ray) to attack the mothership before it takes an egg.
  • Some map specific tips: The Spawning Grounds Mothership event during low tide is really misleading. A large portion of the boxes don't actually drop at the beach, but near the edge of the regular stage. A Charger might be best off not actually going on the beach and sniping the flying Salmonids.

Nighttime Event - Goldie Geyser

• Apparently the Geyser with the Goldie will shine brighter then the others, but I have never been able to tell?
  • When you find the Goldie, tell everyone. Attack it and it'll drop Golden Eggs.
  • Protip for non-Carbon Rollers, get in between wherever the Goldie is and where it's going (preferably close to the basket), and Roll into it instead of flinging ink.
  • Once you've reached your target, you can just ignore the geysers and clean up. You can get more Eggs, but it's an added risk that could cost you a special use if you get overwhelmed by Salmonids.

Nighttime Lowtide Event - Cohock Wave

• This is the event where Cannons appear to use. (Cohoks are those big regular Salmonids that take a few hits).
  • You'll need someone manning a cannon to deal with them to recover Eggs without getting swarmed.
  • If you are manning a cannon, keep an eye out for Maws and Flyfish - they will go straight for you in this mode, and you have limited visibility around you when you're in the cannon which makes it very easy to get splatted when you're far away from your team.

quote:

Also learn which bosses you can comfortably solo. Most of them can be taken down by 1 squid if you're on the ball, but a few of them make it very very difficult. The one boss that charges a big bomb on his head and then launches it is very hard to take down solo, but with a group you can kill him very fast.

Just to add to this, a Charger, Spatling, Slosher and Dualies (roll right before the bomb is targetable for concentrated fire) can take it solo. It's normally just hard if you're dealing with things at your feet at the same time, which is why the Charger and Splatling are effective. That also means it's just as hard if your team's Charger/Splatling suck, or if multiple Steelheads spawn.

It's also not very useful, but you can grab and drop off Golden Eggs while using the Inkjet.

Edit: Also, paint the walls. Even Mr.Grizz suggests this, and it makes it really easy to escape most Salmonids, mess with Griller pathing, and general mobility.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 26, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

HellCopter posted:

How the hell do I beat the shower boss with the Hero Dualies

The boss always goes to the centre tower first, ink it up and get on the corner of the trampoline. You're aiming to jump off the trampoline towards the boss to splat a couple of flying guys in midair

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If I see a stingray enemy spawn in salmon run there is literally nothing you can do to convince me to not drop what I'm doing and try to kill it at any costs. I hate them a whole, whole lot and I will end them as soon as I catch a whiff even if I have to dive through a ton of bosses to get to it. I want to genocide the stingray assholes like you wouldn't believe.

Also I think letting bosses get close to the egg basket is genuinely awful advice because that means the basket is going to get super crowded by a bunch of AoE effects that can kill you and on top of that enemy ink will coat the place and you're going to have to clean it up to get a smooth drop off point done. Don't do it if it's not high tide. It's dumb and bad.

E: Unless it's the glowfly event. In that case please hug the basket and stand in the back

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 26, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

When I get the roller during Salmon Rush special events I think it's best to ignore bosses to focus on salmon, eggs, and keeping the stage inked. I'll only kill bosses out of opportunity or if someone's in trouble. I'm convinced the ink helps the most

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

grand theft grotto posted:

I'm feeling pretty good about my ranked play right now. It's not common for me to make flashy plays where I wipe the enemy team by myself but I've been working well at cutting off enemy routes, flanking at appropriate times, distracting, and still winning many fights. My splat counts tend to look good but not mindblowing, but I'm making up for that by doing other things in the matches I play that contribute to our chances of victory.

Just had a match in rainmaker where we won with only 56 distance by the end. I flanked at the right time and got the rainmaker trapped on a grate and within the last minute the enemy couldn't put together a good plan to go safely get it, and on top of that I controlled ink positioning so if they did get it they'd have a bad route, lowering their chances of an overtime takeover.

That kind of stuff feels amazing. I took the inkjet after the last checkpoint of Tower Control and rained hell on the purples while we got the tower to the goal.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Winning a 3 v 4 in ranked feels good man.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I hated rainmaker at first but then I got 26 splats one game and fell in love <3.

I absolutely hate Moray Towers though. Not fun on ranked modes.

The ranked grind is real.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Personally spiking the rainmaker is one of the most satisfying things in the game. The other most satisfying thing is leaping from a ledge to kill an inkjet with a brush.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

The ranked grind is real.

Rainmaker at low levels is sapping my will to live. If I grab the rainmaker my team ignores me and I'm easily surrounded. Somebody actually comes to help, but he just pushes ahead and somebody attacks us from behind and he's way off not helping me.

So I guess I just have to play support, stand around and defend the rainmaker until somebody else takes it and then escort them. Fine. I'll do that.

Except then I get the guy who grabs the rainmaker and stands around firing it when there's no enemies nearby and I've got a perfectly good lane of ink in front of him for him to swim through towards the objective. loving MOVE!

Its a good thing this game doesn't have default voice chat or I would be yelling at children. :(

Supercar Gautier posted:

Personally spiking the rainmaker is one of the most satisfying things in the game. The other most satisfying thing is leaping from a ledge to kill an inkjet with a brush.

Rainmaker touchdowns are the BEST feeling

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've never encountered some of these salmon run events before

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I only encountered some when I got overachiever

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The best touchdowns are when you win only 15 seconds into the game

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LethalGeek posted:

I get the feeling it's one second of attacks from the moment you get hit or something like that. I've run into plenty of armored people from behind and opened fire on them, only to hear tons of PLINK-PLINK before chewing through the armor and getting those dull whack sounds.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've never encountered some of these salmon run events before

The events besides for high and low tide don't start until later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

The best touchdowns are when you win only 15 seconds into the game

Honestly I don't even mind losing that much if its only 15 seconds. Get into the next match ASAP, that's the best. But yeah winning in seconds is amaaazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Allrite, I don't know -- I appreciate all the suggestions and help with the motion controls but after giving it more of a chance, watching a number of youtube suggestions, and playing more and more I simply came to the realization that I just don't GET it. Rather than fight it, I'm just going to play with the sticks and be happy. I'll never be amazing without motion controls but that's fine.