Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mothra is going to carry Kong and drop it on top of Godzilla and it’s going to be awesome.

Then Gamera is going to show up and save the day.

Or maybe Kong will ride Mothra like Green Goblin on his glider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Is Goreburger really that good?

I love how loving quickly they run out of things to name on these increasingly-bad robots.

"defiant-13 shin mount" "it has legs"

"x-411 supermetal bodywork" "we're not even bothering to come up with a dumb name for our science fiction alloy, it's supermetal"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Allen Wren posted:

"x-411 supermetal bodywork" "we're not even bothering to come up with a dumb name for our science fiction alloy, it's supermetal"

Believe it or not, "supermetal" is actually a reference to the Go Nagai giant robot cartoons of the early '70s.

Absolutely agree with you about the design for these robots being trash, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least they made sure you can tell which is the girl one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's good that they pointed out the missile-launchers were "anti-kaiju" missile launchers. No one would have known what they were for if they hadn't explained it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's good that they pointed out the missile-launchers were "anti-kaiju" missile launchers. No one would have known what they were for if they hadn't explained it.

To be fair on that one, Pacific Rim 1 did the same thing with labeling Striker Eureka's chest missiles as "anti-kaiju." The website gave some technobabble about them being multi-stage armor-piercing missiles loaded with acid or something.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Aphrodite posted:

At least they made sure you can tell which is the girl one.

Hey, I'm sure the shapely robot hips have a very good in-universe explanation!

But honestly, if we're already going with wildly impractical giant dude robots, might as well make a wildly impractical giant lady robot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I'm just disappointed that they've chosen to be so conservative in their choice of body types. They need a big fat comic relief robot at least.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Looking over them again, I like how they make sure to point out that the main robot still has all the cool weapons we saw it using in the first movie, because everyone loved the elbow rocket in the last movie! Be sure to come back for more elbow rocket!

Also, I may be fine with a more feminine-looking Jaeger (okay, I'll be honest, I actually like it), but if it turns out they made it look like it's wearing heels, I will laugh and then cry.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anti-Kaiju Titty Blasters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Parasol Prophet posted:

Looking over them again, I like how they make sure to point out that the main robot still has all the cool weapons we saw it using in the first movie, because everyone loved the elbow rocket in the last movie! Be sure to come back for more elbow rocket!
Im in the seat on day one if they make a big dumb Big O steampunk fister robot to replace Cherno

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"Okay, Bracer Phoenix will come at the Kaiju from this side, while Titan Redeemer cuts it off over here. These two will bring up the rear."

"What do we do?"

"Saber Athena has the most important job of all..."

[Camera pans up through observation window, revealing a giant feather boa being trucked into the main floor]

"Distraction."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

And More posted:

Oh man, the wiki confirms it:

That guy is full of poo poo.

None of that is in the actual film. Saying Gipsy Danger is actually a reference to the Roma is like saying that the Delorean in Back to the Future is actually a refrigerator or that Indiana Jones is actually a pedophile.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The worst thing about those robot designs is that the third and fourth ones have almost the exact same silhouette except for the mace hand, that's like character design 101.

Guy Mann posted:

None of that is in the actual film. Saying Gipsy Danger is actually a reference to the Roma is like saying that the Delorean in Back to the Future is actually a refrigerator or that Indiana Jones is actually a pedophile.

The film also doesn't say that it's a reference to the plane, they just call it a racial slur with no explanation, so it's more like saying the Delorean in Back to the Future is a car or that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is kinda racist.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of moth

So Mothra isn't an asian myth anymore? Though I guess "YUCCA" could just be a code name.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Peanut President posted:

So Mothra isn't an asian myth anymore? Though I guess "YUCCA" could just be a code name.

Where are the cute microtwins at?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Where are the cute microtwins at?

That's what I'm saying!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

Supposedly it's named after the de Havilland Gipsy rather than the word Gypsy. But... yeah no.

Yes, the Gypsy Moth fighter plane.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm just disappointed that they've chosen to be so conservative in their choice of body types. They need a big fat comic relief robot at least.

They tested one called Omega Chunker, but they couldn't get the physics on its giant Hawaiian shirt to work right. It would always freak out and end up clipping through the other bots. Which is too bad, because it's fighting style of drunkenly tripping over the other Jaegers and crushing Kaiju was pretty cool.

Also, it had titty missiles. And rear end missiles, too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
striker eureka from pacific rim 1 is pronounced stroika euroika in australian. always liked that

e: not the subtle movie moments thread sorry

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Guy Mann posted:

Marion: I've learned to hate you in the last ten years!
Indiana: I never meant to hurt you.
Marion: I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it!
Indiana: You knew what you were doing.
Marion: Now I do. This is my place. Get out!

sounds to me like hes a pedo imo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

Marion: I've learned to hate you in the last ten years!
Indiana: I never meant to hurt you.
Marion: I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it!
Indiana: You knew what you were doing.
Marion: Now I do. This is my place. Get out!

sounds to me like hes a pedo imo

That was a college though. I always figured she was a frosh

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

It's not a positive sign that the one female character who gets a poster is the "Deluded" one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Halle Berry is also a woman.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

striker eureka from pacific rim 1 is pronounced stroika euroika in australian. always liked that

e: not the subtle movie moments thread sorry

The Australian accents in Pacific Rim 1 were so bad they made the movie almost unwatchable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MikeJF posted:

The Australian accents in Pacific Rim 1 were so bad they made the movie almost unwatchable.

Nonsense, that was actually the best part about these characters, aside from "POWER MOVE YEAH!": https://youtu.be/97OukcGiXDw?t=3m10s :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Another Marvel poster going psychadelic:

I don't know what the hell:

Nicely executed:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 26, 2017

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Assuming Jerome Flynn is Vincent van Gogh, that's some uncanny casting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rochallor posted:

Assuming Jerome Flynn is Vincent van Gogh, that's some uncanny casting.

Heh, he does look a lot like him. But the movie is apparently all painted & he does the voice of a Dr. Gachet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_Vincent

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Holy poo poo, that's nuts that they're animating a feature with oil painting.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, I may be fine with a more feminine-looking Jaeger (okay, I'll be honest, I actually like it), but if it turns out they made it look like it's wearing heels, I will laugh and then cry.

What's wrong with robots with high heels?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Just like real Australian accents.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Holy poo poo, that's nuts that they're animating a feature with oil painting.
The trailer looks pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVK2EEbC_Zc

I love that things like these are still getting done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Palpek posted:

The trailer looks pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVK2EEbC_Zc

I love that things like these are still getting done.

:stare:

Holy poo poo this is trippy

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's the completely arbitrary feature that turns a design from "Oh, that's neat" to "What horrible design! This looks ridiculous!" in my head.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless the heels are blades then we're cool.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

how can they hold their sword in their feet without high heels

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
God drat those new Jaeger designs are boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is that Transor Z?