Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What really makes the moment is the realization that you're going to be able to do it, which is almost better than the spike itself. "I have a straight-shot ink path to the mound. No one can stop me in time. This is happening." and then it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
It's evolution. Some will be left behind.

-probably a deus ex quote

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that happened to me yesterday except I got picked off by a sniper during the final hop to the goal

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I have the splats, I am bad at it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a reason Turf War never shows up in the ranked rotation?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's the casual mode.

Tbh I think it would be kind of crappy in ranked because it doesn't have some sort of focal point to force the teams into constant contact.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

dragon enthusiast posted:

that happened to me yesterday except I got picked off by a sniper during the final hop to the goal

I bet the sniper felt pretty good about that.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's incredibly swingy because basically nothing in Turf War matters except for who dies in the final 30 seconds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I think letting bosses get close to the egg basket is genuinely awful advice because that means the basket is going to get super crowded by a bunch of AoE effects that can kill you and on top of that enemy ink will coat the place and you're going to have to clean it up to get a smooth drop off point done. Don't do it if it's not high tide. It's dumb and bad.

Well the only boss you can intentionally lure back to the basket easily is maws, as it ignores terrain and will lock onto someone and not lose focus easily. I almost always bring maws back to the basket since its easy to kill solo and lets me slam 3 eggs right in. Scrappers I tend to ignore if they are super far from the basket just because they are so low on the threat scale, but actively trying to lead them back to the basket takes way too long.

I'm pretty sure the only other bosses that follow players are the steel eel and steelhead.Steel eels are way to problematic to leave alive and steelheads are slow as gently caress, so luring either of them is a bad idea.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It has little strategic merit for competitive play.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Freak posted:

Haha yeah. Spaceship things. Looks like they've got some kind of...small pastries??? in them too.

:golfclap:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Turf War's a mode where you can kind of choose between being the frontline fighter who keeps the enemy in check, or the laid-back inker who spends time where the action isn't. By comparison, the ranked modes are designed to force everyone to pull their weight in direct combat, so Turf War wouldn't quite gel with that. You're not supposed to be able to rank up by being the player who hangs back from the action finding corners to paint.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/tristanacooper/status/890238724423987200

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I only found out yesterday that the kill count is kills and assists, which was probably true in S1 and i never knew.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In Training posted:

I only found out yesterday that the kill count is kills and assists, which was probably true in S1 and i never knew.

You mean on the final scorecards? Those show weapon kills / ult kills, not assists. In the first game it was K/D.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

Assist are new

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
assists would explain why that number is always higher than the number of kills I think I got

also its number of ult activations and not kills

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I'm an idiot who didn't realise Dual Pistols' dodge roll makes the firing rate skyrocket.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 26, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean the first number. They only show assists in the app

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
NSFW - prawnography

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In Training posted:

I mean the first number. They only show assists in the app

The main gun kill number in game is the total of kills and assists.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The final score card is just Kills/Special activations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
wtf are Sean's snacks even supposed to be? they look like fried shrimp and hotdog...things. What is that white stuff on them?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dr. Fetus posted:

The final score card is just Kills/Special activations.

I've definitely had games where I had a much higher number on the final score screen than kills that I actually got.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

BattleMaster posted:

The main gun kill number in game is the total of kills and assists.

If I throw my ink mist, but do no damage, does it count as an assist?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
just lol if you didnt cop the air jordans from annie earlier today

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

To clarify: the first number is kills + assists. The second is ult activations. I was just curious about the inflated number, you can see in the app battle records that the other team deaths never match the winning teams kill numbers, so it has to be including assists

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

wtf are Sean's snacks even supposed to be? they look like fried shrimp and hotdog...things. What is that white stuff on them?

Its weird because he's a shrimp but he sells you shrimp foods :biotruths:

But the foods are pretty obvious: The top row are breakfast foods, you have a fried shrimp on a waffle with whipped cream and chocolate syrup or maple syrup.

And yeah, the bottom one is a fried shrimp bun with a hotdog and a fried shrimp hotdog with a bun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

Mayo? Japanese mayo is pretty decent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mayo? Japanese mayo is pretty decent.

Nah its on waffles, that's cream. Its like chicken and waffles but... shrimp. Ew.

The hotdogs don't have white stuff, they have green stuff and red and yellow stuff. Relish, ketchup and mustard.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 26, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ah, I never looked closely at them. They actually look pretty good.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Leveled to 14, only to unlock the .52 gal gun. The change from ink curtains sub to the point sensor has made it a terrifying hunter-killer weapon. I've ripped whole teams apart with this beast, no-one is safe from my rightful wrath. The special provides extra amusement by scattering my enemies in panic. Yes, flee. Flee, you fools! :unsmigghh:

Subsequently I leveled to 15 in half an hour's time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Man the matchmaking drives me insane. Ranked is almost unplayable for me due to being teamed with people who have no idea what they are doing and no concept for playing as a group. The few times I do get lucky enough to get put with a good team it is great fun and I have had some great matches but a good 80% of the time it has been awful. I have no idea how someone is supposed to get to B- right now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a lot easier compared to Splatoon 1 at least, the rank system is was more forgiving now

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Djarum posted:

Man the matchmaking drives me insane. Ranked is almost unplayable for me due to being teamed with people who have no idea what they are doing and no concept for playing as a group. The few times I do get lucky enough to get put with a good team it is great fun and I have had some great matches but a good 80% of the time it has been awful. I have no idea how someone is supposed to get to B- right now.
It's extremely forgiving. You can lose 10 times but if you have 4 good wins you'll still level up. Sure you'll have bad stretches but honestly if you can't get to B eventually then you're just not very good at the game.

I have felt the pain of starting a Splat Zones match and immediately watching 2 Aerospray team members run down the side of spawn just inking away. The game is still new and has a TON of fresh players (I never owned a WiiU or played S1). I'm sure people will start to get the hang of things.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Djarum posted:

Don't worry once you get up rank it gets better, At least better then Splatoon 1 Ranked. Most of the matchs I lost in C+ splatzone or Tower Control was always close. Rainmaker I shoot stright from C- to B- because I love that mode too much. But Rainmaker seems to have the most awfal players so good luck.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Remind yourself that there's only one consistent element in all of your matches.

its you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Probably because rainmaker is the one that requires the most communication, since the objective is moveable by the players. Everybody can look at the tower or a splat zone and know whether they're loving up or winning

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Djarum posted:

The game just came out and I'd wager most players aren't Splatoon 1 vets. It'll even out and people will learn.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Oh man, just picked up some Last Effort aviators from Flow. Hell loving yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What gear even has thermal ink? I haven't seen it on anything?