Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Reminder that inklings are the baddies. You hedonistic monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Remind yourself that there's only one consistent element in all of your matches.

its you

This. You may get some bad losing streaks, but over time you'll hover around where you belong. The other team has 4 chances of getting drooling idiots, your team has 3 chances to get drooling idiots. This means that unless you too are a drooling idiot, your team will have a greater chance of winning. as you'll have fewer drooling idiots. Maybe your drooling idiots are so much worse than theirs that you wind up losing. Maybe this happens multiple times in a row. But statistically you'll keep moving up in the ranks until you get to the point where you are the drooling idiot, then you'll start dropping back down to where you belong.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

throw to first drat IT posted:

I'm surprised the single player plot didn't have any explanation for why Marina is accepted in Inkling society

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

throw to first drat IT posted:

marina joined the inklings though

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

bandaid.friend posted:

If I throw my ink mist, but do no damage, does it count as an assist?

There's an extra graphical indicator that pops up when a teammate splats an opponent and you get credit for an assist.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Its weird because he's a shrimp but he sells you shrimp foods :biotruths:
I mean, it's a video game, but presumably he's selling some species of prawn that didn't change much in the past 10,000 years.

You might raise an eyebrow at the consumption of monkey or ape meat, but you probably wouldn't consider it cannibalism. That said, Splatoon has a weird fondness for throwing in seafood (see: calamari rings in single player)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is marina a traitor then

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is marina a traitor then

Nah

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Octolings are allowed in Inkopolis its just that most of them are dumb assholes and would rather hang out in their lovely valley instead. Inkopolis doesn't have enough floating platforms for them.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm surprised the single player plot didn't have any explanation for why Marina is accepted in Inkling society

Emergency rations obviously.

Alternatively, you expect inklings to focus on something and think about things when they could party instead?

Pants Donkey posted:

I mean, it's a video game, but presumably he's selling some species of prawn that didn't change much in the past 10,000 years.

You might raise an eyebrow at the consumption of monkey or ape meat, but you probably wouldn't consider it cannibalism. That said, Splatoon has a weird fondness for throwing in seafood (see: calamari rings in single player)

The tails might be just decorations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Octolings are allowed in Inkopolis its just that most of them are dumb assholes and would rather hang out in their lovely valley instead. Inkopolis doesn't have enough floating platforms for them.

I can't wait for them to wise up and become playable

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

splatfests become race wars

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm kind of hoping it never happens. Or, Nintendo lets you play an octoling in the firing range only or something. That'd be a chuckle.

e: I'm expecting them to eventually drop a hat that looks like the octoling hair at some point though.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

This came up in an interview and the answer was that Inklings don't care what you are as long as your style is fresh enough.

quote:

The interviewer asked if Marina is an Octoling, but they all dodged the question and Nogami simply said, “She has extraordinary hair”. Nogami also noted that Inklings are not paying attention to this too much. Inoue said that the Inklings don’t care about appearances if they are doing something fresh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the new amiibo today. Power Armour is even funnier than in the first.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Somewhere in the lore it apparently claims that Octolings largely are unaware of what Octavio and the Octarians are doing, and he's some rogue sect harboring a grudge from the Great Turf War.

That would explain why Inkopolis has an army of...one ancient guy, two women, and two literal children. Inklings don't see Octolings as a threat?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I think Octolings might get their own update since they didn't gave out their gear after beating story mode this and I haven't seen Splatoons 1 Octoling Gear and Octoshot (which was in Splatoon 2 Story mode).

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Is anyone else stuck on "connecting to the internet" when entering the lobby? All my other networking stuff seems to be fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sleepness posted:

Is anyone else stuck on "connecting to the internet" when entering the lobby? All my other networking stuff seems to be fine.

Nintendo finally fixed random disconnects by just eliminating the network altogether.

(Yes)

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

sleepness posted:

Yep. Glad it's not just me.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh thank god it's not just me, I thought my router finally died or my switch broke

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The game's done. See y'all for Splatoon 3!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
drat I just invited my brother over to play, this better not be prolonged.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Mahoning posted:

drat I just invited my brother over to play, this better not be prolonged.

Trinexx posted https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp in the Discord.
The timing's early, but there's a 5 hour maintenance supposed to happen tonight anyway. Maybe they started early.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that's my cue to take a break and wait for the good players to get their rankings up so I don't get matched against them anymore

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gimbal lock posted:

Trinexx posted https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp in the Discord.
The timing's early, but there's a 5 hour maintenance supposed to happen tonight anyway. Maybe they started early.

Noooooo! They were supposed to start Rainmaker up again in an hour! How am I going to get out of C rank hell and Rainmake with my friends if I can't make it rain?!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well at least it forces me to actually go to bed

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

That link says everything is back up and running though. I'm still getting connecting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

Somewhere in the lore it apparently claims that Octolings largely are unaware of what Octavio and the Octarians are doing, and he's some rogue sect harboring a grudge from the Great Turf War.

That would explain why Inkopolis has an army of...one ancient guy, two women, and two literal children. Inklings don't see Octolings as a threat?

Well the octoling army is some octo kids and a bunch of severed tentacles on roombas

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Mahoning posted:

That link says everything is back up and running though. I'm still getting connecting.
Ignore the part where they say it's fixed: It isn't. See the "ongoing" part in the maintenance part.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Aww what? No basketball hoop at the test range? :smith:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

isn't that planned future maint right on the upcoming salmon run>

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat the levels in the final world in single player get insanely difficult

I know the final boss in this one isn't meant to last as long as in 1, but is it as difficult as that was? I still sometimes wake up in a sweat about that motherfucker.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A good excuse as any to continue the singleplayer.

God drat the grinding in S2-05 is fun as hell.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I love the grinding levels and would play an entire Splatoon campaign of said levels.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Escobarbarian posted:

I know the final boss in this one isn't meant to last as long as in 1, but is it as difficult as that was? I still sometimes wake up in a sweat about that motherfucker.

It's a bit annoying with blaster, umbrella or charger but generally a lot of fun

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grand theft grotto posted:

I love the grinding levels and would play an entire Splatoon campaign of said levels.

Oh yeah the grinding level in world 5 (I think stage 23) is insanely fun

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That just made me really want a new Jet Set Radio Future game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If this maintenance is going on during the few hours I have to plat Salmon Run I'm going to be very upset.

Escobarbarian posted:

The final boss isn't as hard as the first game because its not a weird boss/level hybrid. There's no way to fall to your death, which is the main way the boss in the first game killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I thought it was a thing that pretty much everyone was oblivious to Capn Cuttlefish and DJ Octavio's private little war, except for those directly involved in it. I mean nobody in Inkopolis really cared that the Great Zapfish disappeared twice, and (Sunker Scrolls spoiler) all the Octarians thought that the final battle of Splatoon 1's Hero mode was just a surprise concert.