Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X_Toad posted:

Ma favorite story will always be how much Hammer and Publick struggled to find names for the O.S.I agents because GI Joe had apparently managed to use them all.

I feel like it references stuff that is much more obscure, too. For me personally, just the base show that is parodied : I have no idea what Johnny Quest is, but I get that Rick and Morty are somewhat inspired by the main characters of Return to the Future.

You should give Johnny Quest a watch actually, it's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

X_Toad posted:

Ma favorite story will always be how much Hammer and Publick struggled to find names for the O.S.I agents because GI Joe had apparently managed to use them all.

I feel like it references stuff that is much more obscure, too. For me personally, just the base show that is parodied : I have no idea what Johnny Quest is, but I get that Rick and Morty are somewhat inspired by the main characters of Return to the Future.

When the Venture Bros first season ran, back before the crust of the earth cooled and life formed on its surface, Johnny Quest was still running on Cartoon Network tons. It was hard to miss the connections to Johnny Quest then.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

fishmech posted:

When the Venture Bros first season ran, back before the crust of the earth cooled and life formed on its surface, Johnny Quest was still running on Cartoon Network tons. It was hard to miss the connections to Johnny Quest then.

I still remember there being an article in TV Guide about the show after either the pilot or the first episodes of season one that was just all about how it was a Johnny Quest parody.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
first ep i saw is the one with race bannon and i watched johnny quest as a kid so i was really drawn in from moment 1, and i treat the show like prestigious serial television a la twin peaks and the sopranos. i like how it blends the kind of bizarre superhero universes from cartoons like the super friends or the tick with the long form character development of more acclaimed dramas. rick and morty appeals to me for its clever episode structures and escalations, it works best as a sitcom with very specific scenarios in which the characters can interact. ultimately they are dramatically different shows in format even if they share a sarcastic shell around an emotional core. yes i know ben edlund creator of the tick also wrote a couple eps of vb

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

scary ghost dog posted:

first ep i saw is the one with race bannon and i watched johnny quest as a kid so i was really drawn in from moment 1, and i treat the show like prestigious serial television a la twin peaks and the sopranos. i like how it blends the kind of bizarre superhero universes from cartoons like the super friends or the tick with the long form character development of more acclaimed dramas. rick and morty appeals to me for its clever episode structures and escalations, it works best as a sitcom with very specific scenarios in which the characters can interact. ultimately they are dramatically different shows in format even if they share a sarcastic shell around an emotional core. yes i know ben edlund creator of the tick also wrote a couple eps of vb

If you ever listen to the R&M commentary Harmon loves to talk about the sitcom formula and how he lampoons/uses/deconstructs it in most episodes so you basically hit the hail on the head there

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

You should give Johnny Quest a watch actually, it's pretty good

Same goes for Thunderbirds, which VB heavily references.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

A similar joke in Rick and Morty would be, "I'm trapped down here with a guy who looks like he was in that video, Firestarter, by the band The Prodigy!"

We're trapped in an elevator with the devil! Like in that movie, Devil!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Machai posted:

We're trapped in an elevator with the devil! Like in that movie, Devil!

Oh, I know what this is! You've been able to sustain world peace because you have one night a year where you all run around robbing and murdering each other without consequence. It's like the Purge, Morty. That movie The Purge?

Oh, have you been here before?

No, no, but I've been to a few planets with the same gimmick. You know, sometimes it's called the cleansing or the red time. There was this one world that called it just murder night. I-it's a Purge planet. They're peaceful, and then, you know, they just Purge.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Rick and Morty can save production time because 30% of every script is just Rick or Morty saying the other's name, and then each season has an interdimensional cable episode that features a chunk of Justin Roiland's unscripted stream of consciousness babble.

I like both shows for how they deconstruct sci-fi cliches, but I prefer how Doc and Jackson write dialog.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sash! posted:

It just hit me that I've been watching VB for 40 percent of my life.

getting old is a son of a bitch isn't it

wait until the day you realize that the time between the end of ww2 and your birthday is less than the time between your birthday and today (if you're approximately 36.5 years old today). or your birthday and the moon landing (most millenials now actually, you only have to be 24.5 years old or so)

RandallODim posted:

I still remember there being an article in TV Guide about the show after either the pilot or the first episodes of season one that was just all about how it was a Johnny Quest parody.

when the show first came out, thirteen years ago, you could probably expect the average adult swim watcher to at least know what johnny quest was if they hadn't seen it for themselves. when the cartoon network was brand new in the mid 90's when i was a boy they did tons of old 60's-70's-80's cartoon reruns, including weird poo poo like wait till your father gets home and the roman holidays

the opening credits for season 1 are a direct reference including soldiers shooting a walking eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66v6q7V26oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0kg_tzQvf4

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 26, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

boner confessor posted:

getting old is a son of a bitch isn't it

wait until the day you realize that the time between the end of ww2 and your birthday is less than the time between your birthday and today (if you're approximately 36.5 years old today). or your birthday and the moon landing (most millenials now actually, you only have to be 24.5 years old or so)

when the show first came out, thirteen years ago, you could probably expect the average adult swim watcher to at least know what johnny quest was if they hadn't seen it for themselves. when the cartoon network was brand new in the mid 90's when i was a boy they did tons of old 60's-70's-80's cartoon reruns, including weird poo poo like wait till your father gets home and the roman holidays

the opening credits for season 1 are a direct reference including soldiers shooting a walking eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66v6q7V26oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0kg_tzQvf4

Hell, they even made a music video or a "groovie" or whatever for a bunch of old Hanna Barbera cartoons before they were shuffled over to Boomerang in the 00's iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPtcHeByqc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WALKING EYE! :pervert:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I know what this is! You've been able to sustain world peace because you have one night a year where you all run around robbing and murdering each other without consequence. It's like the Purge, Morty. That movie The Purge?

Oh, have you been here before?

No, no, but I've been to a few planets with the same gimmick. You know, sometimes it's called the cleansing or the red time. There was this one world that called it just murder night. I-it's a Purge planet. They're peaceful, and then, you know, they just Purge.

Uh, Orpheus, it's your landlord. We're trapped in a cliche. Use your fake, impossible magic to get us out of here.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Eela6 posted:

Uh, Orpheus, it's your landlord. We're trapped in a cliche. Use your fake, impossible magic to get us out of here.

Best episode to introduce someone to VB, if you ask me. It's part 2 of a trilogy, you get bits of "previously on" and "next time on", the action is a little non-linear and 100% venturebrothersesque humor abounds, you're introduced to numerous characters and learn a lot of their character traits in one episode... and when they ask you to show them part 1 and 3, neither exist, so there's that, too.

Hey, here's an idea. How about we come up with a couple of lists to aid in inDOCtrination. A 3-episode primer that introduces people to the characters and concepts (and weeds out those who will never like the show), and a 10-episode primer that would get them hooked for sure.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
My top three for introducing people"
Tag Sale! You're it!
Escape to the House of Mummies Part II

and, believe it or not, Orb. You wouldn't think it, but Orb actually works wonderfully standalone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

My top three for introducing people"
Tag Sale! You're it!
Escape to the House of Mummies Part II

and, believe it or not, Orb. You wouldn't think it, but Orb actually works wonderfully standalone.

Hmmmm. Interesting note about ORB.

My three would be Escape to the House of Mummies Part II, The Lepidopterists, and Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghosts of the Sargasso has to be near the top of either of those lists.

It really has every little thing, from gleefully gratuitous pop culture references at the beginning to that glorious smash-cut ending.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My two are Tag Sale, You're It! and Ghosts of the Sargasso. I feel like between the two of them you have a really nice survey of everything that's going on in the show. Tag Sale in particular features a LOT of recurring characters and Ghosts hits the Johnny Quest notes about as hard as any episode not titled "Escape to the House of the Mummies, Part 2" does.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tag Sale, You're It! really brings out a bunch of the major characters you're going to see in the rest of the show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Ghosts of the Sargasso; Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean; Twenty Years to Midnight

First pick: As Data Graham noted, it gives you that amazing Bowie cold open, but it's also a great episode that introduces the greater Venture family mythos
Second pick: A great encapsulation of the pettiness of the Venture/Monarch relationship. The idea of Testicular Torsion will stick with every male unfamiliar with the affliction until the day they die.
Third pick: A solid self-contained story that shows how large the extended cast has grown already, and gives them all moments to shine. Also introduces Action Johnny, to really drive home the metanarrative aspects of the show. (I guess you could also slot Ice Station: Impossible! in here, but I didn't want to go all-in on Season 1.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I tried watching Dia de Los Dangerous! on Hulu and is the picture wrong for everybody? The opening scene in the garage is shifted down, with the top 1/3 of the screen being a black bar, and the rest of the episode is zoomed in for some reason.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

X_Toad posted:

I think they spend all the dollars necessary (seriously the animation has been getting better and better), it's just that the creators work at their own particular pace.

A few years ago that might have carried some water, but not after Jackson Publick has said "And there was actually a little confusion for a while as to whether or not the Gargantua special counted against our 10-episode order." It sounds to me like they would have been entirely willing to do more episodes if Adult Swim had been willing to pay to have them made.

I really think the low episode count is less about two poor little genius auteurs grinding their fingers to the bone to bring us the most exquisitely artisanal handcrafted bespoke animation, and more about Cartoon Network being stingy with how much they're willing to spend on the show, and I'm really not sure why there's so much resistance to this notion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RandallODim posted:

I seem to recall a story from way back when about how during first season production or something, someone from Cartoon Network basically called them and said "you know we own Jonny Quest, right? you can literally have Jonny Quest characters show up in this thing if you want."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I tried watching Dia de Los Dangerous! on Hulu and is the picture wrong for everybody? The opening scene in the garage is shifted down, with the top 1/3 of the screen being a black bar, and the rest of the episode is zoomed in for some reason.

Seems fine to me. That first scene is is a cinematic aspect ratio fit into 4:3.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Seems fine to me. That first scene is is a cinematic aspect ratio fit into 4:3.

Yeah, but I've seen that episode a hundred times and literally the bottom 1/3 of the screen, including the letterbox and part of the actual art, is scrolled off the bottom. It almost looks like one of those things where somebody fucks with a video so they can host it on Youtube without the automatic scanners catching it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall a story from way back when about how during first season production or something, someone from Cartoon Network basically called them and said "you know we own Jonny Quest, right? you can literally have Jonny Quest characters show up in this thing if you want."

And then they changed their minds later on and made them change all the JQ characters' names

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

And then they changed their minds later on and made them change all the JQ characters' names

They're better off with Action Johnny anyway.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Action Johnny would probably have distanced himself from the Quest name anyhow

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I want more Action Johnny

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Not exactly.

See, during the 1st season (and still into the second one's production), Cartoon Network/Adult Swim actually owned the rights to all of that old Hanna-Barbera stuff. This is how they were able to do, on an upstart basic cable cartoon network's meager budget, shows like Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, Sealab 2021, Space Ghost Coast To Coast, and so on. They had the rights, so it was just a matter of cheaply animating (or re-using existing animation) the IP of Hanna-Barbera to much more humorous effect.

So, when the Venture Bros. decided to cross paths with Johnny Quest a few times--which was only natural, seeing as how Rusty was/is clearly his compatriot--they were able to freely/cheaply use the actual Race Bannon, Jonny Quest (and the Quest bathysphere), Hadji, etc.

After the initial fun, though, something with the rights changed. It could be that Adult Swim (or the Cartoon Network) simply stopped letting their IP show up in new shows, especially when it wasn't in such a positive light. Who knows. But it wasn't Doc's or Jackson's choice to genericize Race and Jonny. It was... the Investors.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

It was... the Investors.

:golfclap:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cartoon Network wanted to do a Johnny Quest reboot, so they told Doc and Jackson to change the name of the Quest characters on TVB to avoid confusing audiences. Then the JQ reboot failed, and they could've gone back to the Quest names, but decided not to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They should have known. How could they possibly improve upon the perfection of The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Real Adventures was awful. Great theme song, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I have fond memories of that show, but thinking back it's mostly the absolutely stellar theme tune that I remember.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Is there a good place I can watch this conveniently and legally? I want to rewatch the series and I've missed chunks of it over the years. I don't want to buy blu rays.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Legal but not convenient: Adult Swim is constantly running the entire series in a loop on their website. No schedule, unfortunately, so you just have to jump in and hope you catch it in the right place (They're currently on Season 4 finale Operation P.R.O.M. - wait about 3 and a half, 4 hours and it'll be back to The Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay.)

It's also on Hulu.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hulu is the easiest place to watch it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

feedmyleg posted:

That theme song is better than any MCU theme music.

I imagine the Quest World segments aged badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No kidding, they'd aged badly when I was watching the original broadcasts.