Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Whooa boy, if it'll just give us jump tech point theory, now THAT would tip the balance of power something fierce. We definitely gotta keep Pluto on lockdown.

Crazyeyes24 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

@SpaceWhales

How much excavation is required to help restore the facility? If we assisted in excavating a large cavern around the facility, would that be enough? I'm afraid we don't have the tools and expertise readily available to strip away all the material between the facility and space, but a smaller volume just to get the ice off your exterior is likely within our capabilities.

[I'm worried about fully exposing the facility to space so anyone with a telescope can see it. I'd rather just hollow out a cave around it while still keeping the surface intact.]

E: I'm pretty sure it's talking about giving us grav survey sensors, not jump tech. Not yet, at least.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 26, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Saros: Do we have any construction battalions in the outer system that we could send for excavation work?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It's a ways down in Pluto. Considering the size of the facility, we shouldn't be saying we can help it get excavated or even make a cave around it. There's structural integrity and things to consider here.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm less worried about structural integrity than keeping this place secret. Not until we have better defenses anyway.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Whooa boy, if it'll just give us jump tech, now THAT would tip the balance of power something fierce. We definitely gotta keep Pluto on lockdown.

Not really. This is a knife fight. Jump drives would let us run away, but not expand fast enough to be helpful until we've settled with the IC.

Actually, giving away jump tech to the other factions so that they divert resources to it could only help us.

If we or Earth had gotten jump drives even 5 years ago and been able to draw on the resources of a second solar system... Well, this honking huge war would probably have turned into a curb stomp.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Fray posted:

Saros: Do we have any construction battalions in the outer system that we could send for excavation work?

There are combat engineers at Triton and further heavy equipment taken from a IC military construction units captured off Swift-Tuttle.

Saros fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 26, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We're in a controlling position for Pluto as long as we keep neptune. Hopefully we can also grab Uranus aswell and have joint custody of Saturn and Jupiter with earth.

Question: Martian fanaticism is like the Martians from the expanse right? They REALLY want Mars to bloom.

How likely is that going to go tits up the way it did in the expanse and how can we stop it?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Uh, I guess just pray that there aren't literally a thousand pre-terraformed worlds waiting unguarded on the other side of the JPs. Which is a pretty easy thing to pray for, garden worlds in Aurora are super rare in my experience. Most places need at least as much terraforming as Mars, if not more. There's just completely unliveable hellholes, and salvageable with a decade of work hellholes.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 26, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

xthetenth posted:

@SpaceWhales:

Is that a no on any information/advice regarding TNE gathering/deposits in pursuance of having a sufficient stockpile to give more to the project to re-establish contact with the Collaboration?

Without deep insight into TNE collection, mining and transport operations no assistance can be envisioned. Previous archival data on system indicates almst zero natural TNE presence and no deep survey was ever completed so detailed information is not available.

Pash posted:

@SpaceWhales

Request the information on the construction of sensors to look for unknown gateways for the purposes of helping it re-establish contact with the Collaboration.

This information can be provided to appropriate Polity representatives.

Crazycryodude posted:

@SpaceWhales

How much excavation is required to help restore the facility? If we assisted in excavating a large cavern around the facility, would that be enough? I'm afraid we don't have the tools and expertise readily available to strip away all the material between the facility and space, but a smaller volume just to get the ice off your exterior is likely within our capabilities.

Complete exposure to the surface would be most helpful but any excavation around the exterior would be of assistance.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright we need a contact team to officially get the blueprints for grav sensors and should probably start digging. So kind of the IC to provide us with heavy construction equipment beforehand.

@SpaceWhales
What constitutes an "appropriate Polity representative"?

Wouldn't want to send them the wrong kind of ambassador

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 26, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
@spacewhales

Are you an Artificial Intelligence? What kind, if so?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

@spacewhale

Who or what would you define as an appropriate polity representative? A politician? A military commander? A head of state? A renowned physicist?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

unwantedplatypus posted:

@spacewhales

Are you an Artificial Intelligence? What kind, if so?

Back when we were first introduced, it identified itself as a logistic management AI (or whatever the exact phrase was). Definitely an AI, and specifically one built to run this facility.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

LLSix posted:

Not really. This is a knife fight. Jump drives would let us run away, but not expand fast enough to be helpful until we've settled with the IC.

Actually, giving away jump tech to the other factions so that they divert resources to it could only help us.

If we or Earth had gotten jump drives even 5 years ago and been able to draw on the resources of a second solar system... Well, this honking huge war would probably have turned into a curb stomp.

Not that it would be terribly useful right now, but it's a potent bargaining chip either to the over-crowded Terrans or the tech-hungry ICs. Possibly. Either way, we could control it's dissemination, no matter what tech they gave us.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Keep in mind that the Terrans are probably a decade ahead of us in anything related to FTL, that's kind of their obsession. They obviously don't have jump drives yet, but I bet they're getting close and even if the Space Whales granted us all the related tech from sensors to JP theory to a pre-built jump drive we'd only beat Earth by a year or two.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 26, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

It would at least let us keep up with Terran tech, and allow us to focus on beefing up our own tech tree or reverse engineer what the IC have developed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, yeah, let's not turn down the free tech or anything, but it's not a magic bullet that will catapult us ahead of the other factions either.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 26, 2017

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
@spacewhales:

What are your views on intraspecies conflicts?

By what method(s) are your leaders chosen?

What rights do individuals within the collaboration have? What rights do sentient non members of the collaboration have?

Since I'm currently ship less I volunteer to be the polity representative, assuming I am acceptable to the AI's criteria for a representative.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

@spacewhales:

What are your views on intraspecies conflicts?

By what method(s) are your leaders chosen?

What rights do individuals within the collaboration have? What rights do sentient non members of the collaboration have?

Since I'm currently ship less I volunteer to be the polity representative, assuming I am acceptable to the AI's criteria for a representative.

This facility holds no diplomatic views and sociological data is largely outside it's remit. Collaboration policy is set by representatives of the member species and is generally non-intervention in all matters except those pertaining to security and membership.

Appropriate representatives are those empowered to represent and negotiate for a polity. Each polity is free to determine its own representatives and internal selection process.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Call CENTCOM and ask them who to send as our official representative(s).

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
In case Saros is/will be looking for player input on Pluto policy, here are some frameworks people can vote on or build proposals from:

Lowest Rung
Nothing gained from Pluto will help us in the short term to win the IC/Mars conflict, so lock it down & wait until the war is over. Put the IC POW's & scientists on ice, issue a gag order on all things Pluto, and post a scout to alert us to any further IC interest. We can play with our new toys after we crush the IC.

Holyoke
Send a Martian team of scientists & diplomats to Pluto, a small detachment of ships for defense, and construct a PDC or two ASAP. Tell nobody what we found, claim any IC scientific interest was a pretext for establishing an unauthorized hidden military outpost that we have now commandeered. Don't dig up the alien, since it will probably start shouting "Hello!" at anyone within range once it's not buried under miles of ice & rock.

Catfish Smile
Tell Earth leadership about the discovery, offer to setup a joint Earth/Mars research mission, defended by a joint Earth/Mars fleet. Claim IC knew about the alien facility and was keeping it a secret from everyone. Cross our fingers & hope they are dumb enough to shoot at Earth ships while trying to retake the site.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
Wouldn t the fact that there is definitely something out there or at least was 5 million years ago create a strong impetus for all of humanity to unite to present a united front against whatever is out there? Getting all the techs and information that facility provides and then reburying it until Mars leads the solar system should be an option.
That facility waited 5 million years, a few decades more shouldn t make a difference.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Hessi posted:

Wouldn t the fact that there is definitely something out there or at least was 5 million years ago create a strong impetus for all of humanity to unite to present a united front against whatever is out there? Getting all the techs and information that facility provides and then reburying it until Mars leads the solar system should be an option.

I misread this as us removing and transplanting the alien ruins to Mars so that we could "discover" it and lead a political unification of the system. Which is a great book idea.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Hessi posted:

Wouldn t the fact that there is definitely something out there or at least was 5 million years ago create a strong impetus for all of humanity to unite to present a united front against whatever is out there?

Probably not. There's some very strong tensions between all factions right now and there's no impending alien invasion or going on.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

I misread this as us removing and transplanting the alien ruins to Mars so that we could "discover" it and lead a political unification of the system. Which is a great book idea for us to do right now

FTFY

If there are no objections, I think I should represent the Martian fleet as my predilection for defecting to nearly any alien species proves that I'm not xenophobic.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
@Spacewhales

Since we're currently experiencing a inter-species conflict. Would we still be eligeble for collaboration membership?

If you help us figure out gateways we can expand our mining operations in whole new systems! Then we can help you rebuild this station and seek to contact the collaboration. Question is; How patient are you? This might take years.

Would you allow us to decommision this stations defense systems? It's a small solar system we're in and we're feeling uncomfortable with a unknown possibly damaged AI having dangerous weapons.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Cathode Raymond posted:

FTFY

If there are no objections, I think I should represent the Martian fleet as my predilection for defecting to nearly any alien species proves that I'm not xenophobic.
You can lead the diplomatic team, I've got dibs on captaining the ship we send, at least so long as it's going out of system.

@Facility
You mentioned you had defensive systems and combat units in storage, there are two other factions in this system that are hostile to us, would you be willing to use those defensive systems to keep our representatives at this facility from harm should it come under assault by their forces.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nevets posted:

In case Saros is/will be looking for player input on Pluto policy, here are some frameworks people can vote on or build proposals from:

Lowest Rung
Nothing gained from Pluto will help us in the short term to win the IC/Mars conflict, so lock it down & wait until the war is over. Put the IC POW's & scientists on ice, issue a gag order on all things Pluto, and post a scout to alert us to any further IC interest. We can play with our new toys after we crush the IC.

Holyoke
Send a Martian team of scientists & diplomats to Pluto, a small detachment of ships for defense, and construct a PDC or two ASAP. Tell nobody what we found, claim any IC scientific interest was a pretext for establishing an unauthorized hidden military outpost that we have now commandeered. Don't dig up the alien, since it will probably start shouting "Hello!" at anyone within range once it's not buried under miles of ice & rock.

Catfish Smile
Tell Earth leadership about the discovery, offer to setup a joint Earth/Mars research mission, defended by a joint Earth/Mars fleet. Claim IC knew about the alien facility and was keeping it a secret from everyone. Cross our fingers & hope they are dumb enough to shoot at Earth ships while trying to retake the site.

Pluto started as a United Terran planet. They already know there's an alien something out here. I'm just glad Earth hasn't declared war on us over kidnapping the people they had investigating it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

LLSix posted:

Pluto started as a United Terran planet. They already know there's an alien something out here. I'm just glad Earth hasn't declared war on us over kidnapping the people they had investigating it.

They haven't really been given a chance to respond yet and quite possibly may not know even about it being essentially occupied by us yet.

If the Terrans have even an inkling of an idea of the value of what's here, and chances are good that they have at least some suspicions, there's no way we're keeping it all to ourselves peacefully. For that matter even if they don't know anything and still consider it a fairly worthless lump of rock and ice in space, it's not like they will be happy to just hand it over, no questions asked.

Hopefully they will be too distracted with their Mercury project to inquire deeply about a relatively worthless rock on the out edges of the system or can't spare resources towards until we can properly consolidate.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 27, 2017

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Saros posted:

Interstellar travel is considered impossible at this point, the fastest ships can push up to 1.5-2% of c but with absurd fuel expenditures and terrible engine reliability. Even at these speeds hundreds of years of travel would be required to even reach Alpha Centauri. It is somewhat of a Global obsession for Earth however, powered by the Director-General's daughter being one of its most vocal proponents pie-in-the-sky interstellar schemes have had access to extremely generous funding for most of the last decade. Stirring the pot further there are rumors of secret yards within shafts dug deep into the Luna bedrock and recently scientists have been scratching their heads over extremely odd Neutrino pulses from facilities in Mercury orbit.

Saros posted:

Inner Solar System:
Jupiter and inwards, a shotgun fight in a phone booth. Turmoil is brewing between the three players after the skirmish off Tempel 1, Earth is stepping in to attempt to mediate peace but the Martians and Corporates are starting to run lighting raids on each others ships and minor asteroid belt facilities. As the political situation slowly gets worse and worse Earth has semi-secretly begun commissioning a number of very long range vessels and the inexplicable neutrino readings from Mercury orbit are ramping up and up and up.

Saros posted:

The gateway itself should be easily observable via gravitational wave detectors and the exotic matter braiding established to stablise it even more so. If you have not observed this then it seems likely that the gateway is no longer present. Technology exists for the detection of unknown gateways and could be provided if it was in aid of re-establishing contact with the Collaboration.

@spacewhales, would the gateway emit odd neutrino pulses of this nature? Perhaps if it is damaged, or fails to activate? If not do you know of what could be causing such a phenomonom, I'm of particular concern of it potentially relating to a breach.

I'm hypothesising here that Earth may have taken the gateway long ago, after-all, if it was just sitting in the Lagrange point it should be fairly easy for them to find, as the AI has mentioned, whether or not it could be transported is another issue.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No the scientists were of IC origin, they were on Pluto with earth's permission since nobody thought there was anything interesting here. I doubt earth has taken the gate, if they did then I'm sure they'd have taken more of an interest in Pluto.

Also where has this idea that Earth is champing at the bit to join the war on the ICs side come from? Last Saros told us I thought they were neutral, if anything a bit on our side thanks to the IC technically being the aggressors and possibly getting framed for blowing up Tempel 1.

Also get in line Cathode and Cimbri, I totally called it.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 27, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Pharnakes posted:

No the scientists were of IC origin, they were on Pluto with earth's permission since nobody thought there was anything interesting here. I doubt earth has taken the gate, if they did then I'm sure they'd have taken more of an interest in Pluto.

Also where has this idea that Earth is champing at the bit to join the war on the ICs side come from? Last Saros told us I thought they were neutral, if anything a bit on our side thanks to the IC technically being the aggressors and possibly getting framed for blowing up Tempel 1.

Also get in line Cathode and Cimbri, I totally called it.

I think some people view Earth's reliance on IC's Sorium as the reason Earth might want to jump in. This, however, could also be viewed as a reason for them to jump in on our side as if they massed up and attacked and took Jupiter or Saturn they could fix their Sorium issue and not have to be subject to the whims of the IC.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don;t see that being an issue at this point. Worst case scenario we have to sell them some of ours to get them off our backs, but with how the war is going it should be relatively doable to ship sorium from Neptune to Earth. Ideally offer Earth the sorium but they have to provide the ships and any escorts, that way if the IC get frisky it will only make them piss Earth off even more.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Affi posted:

@Spacewhales

Since we're currently experiencing a inter-species conflict. Would we still be eligeble for collaboration membership?

If you help us figure out gateways we can expand our mining operations in whole new systems! Then we can help you rebuild this station and seek to contact the collaboration. Question is; How patient are you? This might take years.

Would you allow us to decommision this stations defense systems? It's a small solar system we're in and we're feeling uncomfortable with a unknown possibly damaged AI having dangerous weapons.

Collaboration policy is generally one of non-interference. There may some difficulty with selection of appropriate representatives due to internal conflict and in nearly all cases Species unifield into a single Polity before application for membership.

Gateway construction is technologically involved beyond the level of technological sophistication you have demonstrated so far but is a non-embargoed technology so can be demonstrated and used in front of non-collaboration members. This facility had the capability to maintain and construct gateways but the majority of the relevant capabilities are degraded beyond functionality at this point. This facility is very patient.

Non-Authorised access to Collaboration weaponry and technology is forbidden and will be resisted. You can be assured all AI core routines are testing stable and functional.

Cimbri posted:

@Facility
You mentioned you had defensive systems and combat units in storage, there are two other factions in this system that are hostile to us, would you be willing to use those defensive systems to keep our representatives at this facility from harm should it come under assault by their forces.

The facility will defend itself from incursions intended to cause it harm, if your representatives are present this protection extends to them as well.

Shanakin posted:

@spacewhales, would the gateway emit odd neutrino pulses of this nature? Perhaps if it is damaged, or fails to activate? If not do you know of what could be causing such a phenomonom, I'm of particular concern of it potentially relating to a breach.

"The primary sources of Neutrino emissions are Stars, fusion power plants and certain high-energy technological processes such as exotic matter production. Substrate breach does not normally reveal such obvious signs in all but the most extreme of cases."

--------------------------------

Autoshades retires from the conversation to compose a report on the encounter so far and his impressions. The Doctor contines to discuss with the entity and over an hour has elapsed at this point. After a while he pulls her aside and asks her impressions.

She is wide eyed and clearly excited.

"To get down to basics I think this facility is part of a military arm of a multispecies, association, of some sort. The specifics are unclear but the roots of this alliance seem to be in a sort of extreme existential dread of... something. I do not know exactly what, the facility braches off into extradimensional incursions and entrophy breaking talk at this point I can't really follow. However it seems to really want to re-establish contact with its 'Collaboration' and strangely doesnt seem to consider or perhaps understand that the elapsed time could pose an issue for this. My understanding is that this multipecies association was around forty thousand years old at the point of lost contact but how and why appears to be lost or it does not wish to reveal the circumstances."

She fixes Autoshades with a calculating look.

"The Entity seems to want two things at present. Provision of raw TN resources and for us to loft a scanning system into Plutonian orbit. It seems extremely disturbed by the absence of it's 'Gateway' more than perhaps anything else about the current circumstances. I cannot emphasise this enough, it keeps looping back to this point and seems unable to believe that we did not observe its Gateway positioned at the Lagrange point. From what I have been able to discover such Gateways once established should last far longer than the facility has been here and are somehow immune from external interference and their dissolution represents a theoretical imposibility as well as never having been observed in practice."

"I also would like to call in more members of my team from the surface, we are prepared for this and can investigate everything the entity says as well as making proper scientific observations. I understand the Martian government appears to have siezed control of Plutonian space and we will co-operate with whatever restrictions you wish to put into place, none of my team are patriots and over half of us are from Terra or Mars so have no particular love for the Corporate structure, they are merely a major source of funding."

The Entity interrupts at this point.

"Colonel, I have begun fabrication of a system to track any active gateways in the local space region but I have no ability to lift it above the encasing planetary substrate so it can perform its tasks. Any assistance you can provide in this matter would be appreciated."

Autoshades considers then asks to view the 'scanning' system first. The entity responds with directions and an offer of guidance to the fabrication facility which as it turns out is about a kilometer away from their current location. Autoshades directs a Marine squad to enter, follow directions and report back.

A short time later they report back. From the transmitted images from their suits it certainly looks like a scanning device of some sort as various tentacles build a strange circular lattice about four meters across.

Vote time:

Do we;
  • Allow the Doctor to assemble her team and investigate the entity/facility or hold off until scientists can be brought from Mars.

• Cooperate with the Entity by lofting its 'scanner' into Pluto orbit.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 27, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Guys. IC stealth tech. Gravatic survey sensors. What do we think the likely interaction is?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

I vote for help the Entity and allow the scientists to assemble on the conditions that any and all of their reports or transmissions must go through Martian oversight before leaving even the installation.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Saros posted:

Allow the Doctor to assemble her team and investigate the entity/facility or hold off until scientists can be brought from Mars.
Wait. Too many ways this can go wrong. If we can, placate the scientists by letting them study the 'scanner.'

Saros posted:

[*]Cooperate with the Entity by lofting its 'scanner' into Pluto orbit.[/list]
Agree to loft the scanner after the raid on Saturn is completed. Give excuses about needing to make preparations. Our primary objective is to draw IC forces outsystem. If this thing's scanning is detected, it will draw forces out system. win-win.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I vote we let the scientists do their science thing but we trade with the AI in return for helping it. Let's not be stupid about it, or rude.

All we want is access to review whatever it is we're putting into space, blueprints so that we can make sure it isn't harmful. And access to the station so we can be sure to keep humanity safe. Also ask it to not show itself to the rest of the solar system because it might trigger a violent response from others.

(These simple requests will give us insight into new technologies and a degree of control of the station)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Did that SB jamming tech make it out to Pluto with the rest of the group? If so I'm fine with letting the Doctor assemble her team and lifting the thing out, after the Saturn Raid. Just search the scientists and their facility for any communications stuff and jam anything they try to send out without permission.