Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Is this another "meh" month? It feels like it to me

how is just cause 3 a mediocre freebie? this is the first month in a while that I'm actually gonna play a ps+ game I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

how is just cause 3 a mediocre freebie? this is the first month in a while that I'm actually gonna play a ps+ game I think

because it runs like loving dogshit on PS4 and repeated attempts to fix it made it worse

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HAT FETISH posted:

The only AC game I ever played was the Brotherhood multiplayer (and I played that a lot), is that Freedom Cry game worth a look? I know it's one of the short ones and I'm kinda interested in the Caribbean setting.

Probably best to get AC4 first, as it follows on from that. Plus AC4 is just great in its own right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

because it runs like loving dogshit on PS4 and repeated attempts to fix it made it worse

so it's better to get it free

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just cause 3 is pretty fun if you just gently caress around. I probably have like ten hours in that game from blowing up trains, blowing up bridges so trains fall, blowing up the path if a train so it veers off and crashes into traffic, and so on and on.

A gomez Addams simulator, if you will.

You also get unlimited c4 for this.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

HAT FETISH posted:

The only AC game I ever played was the Brotherhood multiplayer (and I played that a lot), is that Freedom Cry game worth a look? I know it's one of the short ones and I'm kinda interested in the Caribbean setting.

I don't know about the game itself but the previous time AC made a smaller game focusing on another character from the main title we got Liberation, which ended up being a personal favorite for the series. I stopped after 4 and Liberation came up just short of 2 and Brotherhood for me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JC3 on PS4, so that makes JC2 on PC and Xbox360 for Rico Rodriguez greatness on all platforms I own.

JC3 got more backlash than it really deserved, it is a fun game on my book (and free!).

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It is a really fun game, but one that I will say really should be better than it is, and if the first DLC had set the bar for the others it might have even been forgiven for the time it takes to make physics happen. Just Cause 2 just had so much more variety and it was more fun to just cause chaos. And cars were driveable, which is one of the dumbest faults of this game. Wingsuiting around, grappling everything to everything, and putting explosives on everything and everyone whether or not they deserve it is still fun, but by the end of the game you will be happy that you're done. Some of the collectable vehicles are a pain to get, but can still be a lot of fun because in what other game are you tasked with fetching a boat that is parked in a pond several miles inland?

Warning, the last boss sucks. Really sucks. If you're paying attention you can pretty much insta-kill him.

But still play it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

HAT FETISH posted:

AC4 is easily my favorite of the series and this gives a nice taste of it if you don't want to invest 40 hours in the main game. I remember it being pretty good apart from one tailing mission that took me forever to clear.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

HAT FETISH posted:

You should definitely play AssCreed: Black Flag. It's the precursor to Freedom Cry (which started out as DLC for Black Flag).

AC: Black Flag has you playing as a pirate, basically. The naval combat is fun and, when there is a huge storm, it gets intense. It's just an immersive, great experience. The bad part about Black Flag is that it still has the modern-day story, but thankfully, it's short and mostly removed from the previous games' modern story. It also has too many AC staples, like trailing missions.

But, yeah, I'd recommend it, for sure.

I've never played Freedom Cry, so I'm looking forward to playing this.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If you liked the show Taboo, you'll like freedom cry I guess.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Crows Turn Off posted:

You should definitely play AssCreed: Black Flag. It's the precursor to Freedom Cry (which started out as DLC for Black Flag).

AC: Black Flag has you playing as a pirate, basically. The naval combat is fun and, when there is a huge storm, it gets intense. It's just an immersive, great experience. The bad part about Black Flag is that it still has the modern-day story, but thankfully, it's short and mostly removed from the previous games' modern story. It also has too many AC staples, like trailing missions.

But, yeah, I'd recommend it, for sure.

I've never played Freedom Cry, so I'm looking forward to playing this.

The best part about AC4 is that the pirate protagonist gives about as much of a poo poo about the main AC plot as I do. Freedom Cry was great and expanded nicely on Adewale's character.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The real gem in that list is Downwell by a longshot.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Concerning AC: Freedom Cry...

According to http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Freedom_Cry :

quote:

In the standalone version, sea shanties do not play while sailing through the open world.

If it's true, not worth playing without the sea shanties!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Real hurthling! posted:

Check your console notifications

Motherfucker. Why didn't I get an actual notification that I have an unread notification? Just checked on my ps app and I've had it since July 5th apparently. No email, no little red '1', no pop up on PlayStation. Just silently sat there with a 2 week window to claim it.

What is the point in a notification that doesnt notify you when you have it??

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

exquisite tea posted:

Some new footage of HELLBLADE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-RH2b8ac4

Game...good?

That looks completely terrible. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were flawed but I have a soft spot for them. The fighting in this looks pretty much unplayable. Like Witcher 3 but even slower and clunkier.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It is amazing the sheer ranges of responses this game is producing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Renoistic posted:

That looks completely terrible. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were flawed but I have a soft spot for them. The fighting in this looks pretty much unplayable. Like Witcher 3 but even slower and clunkier.

I'm with you on that. No part of that video looks anything other than tedious to me; The fight seems to be "Dodge/counter until bullet time is charged. use bullet time and hammer attack. Repeat until guy dead. Get jumped from behind by another guy. Repeat until fight over" then there is an arkham city riddler puzzle without any acrobatics to get the angle right. I know pretty much nothing about this game, but that video has not sold me on whatever it is.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SiKboy posted:

I'm with you on that. No part of that video looks anything other than tedious to me; The fight seems to be "Dodge/counter until bullet time is charged. use bullet time and hammer attack. Repeat until guy dead. Get jumped from behind by another guy. Repeat until fight over" then there is an arkham city riddler puzzle without any acrobatics to get the angle right. I know pretty much nothing about this game, but that video has not sold me on whatever it is.
That was exactly what I thought, down to the Riddler comparison. Like the graphics are nice, but I don't want to have to hit an enemy 25 times to kill it unless it's a boss. That and the spawning in behind you is giving me bad flashbacks to DA2.

e: VVV lol

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

At least every future President (assuming we don't all die in a nuclear fireball) should feel fairly confident they won't be remembered as the worst President in U.S. history.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

Agreed. People saying "souls" are missing that everything seems to be cancelable, which is the opposite of souls combat.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

D1E posted:

At least every future President (assuming we don't all die in a nuclear fireball) should feel fairly confident they won't be remembered as the worst President in U.S. history.

OK, you've convinced me to play MGS5.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What the gently caress, where is Knack...

no knack, bad month

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought it for £4, it isn't even worth free

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LobosJr streaming Demon's Souls PS3 emulator for PC :stare:

https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Twibbit posted:

It is amazing the sheer ranges of responses this game is producing.

my main gripe is that it's digital download only. i need a box to go on my shelf dammit!!!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Kiranamos posted:

OK, you've convinced me to play MGS5.

LOL that was meant for Trump thread and I was very confused when it never showed up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Guillermus posted:

LobosJr streaming Demon's Souls PS3 emulator for PC :stare:

https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

drat, I missed it. I assume it requires some crazy high end hardware though?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

HGH posted:

drat, I missed it. I assume it requires some crazy high end hardware though?

It'll run with a 2nd generation i5 and a 2Gb video ram from what I've gathered, I meet that and for sure that FPS will have some drops but hell if I'm not trying that today.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

an actual dog posted:

no knack, bad month

Knack 2 comes out September 5, if they were ever going to put it on Plus it was gonna be August. Maybe next month to drum up awareness and interest?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

PS4 Pro's Boost Mode does a lot to help it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Morby posted:

I agree. Witcher 3's combat is loving awful.

:yeah:

Smol posted:

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst y/n?

If you liked the first one then absolutely yes, it's a total loveletter from the devs to fans of the first game. I feel like a broken record on these boards because I'm constantly reiterating that the game is great yet surrounded by posts from naysayers who didn't actually play it. The first few missions are an extended tutorial of sorts, and almost all of the skills unlock very early. The music and environments are fantastic, and the story is meh. But the sense of movement with relation to skill is the best out there, which is what the game is about.

Turn runner vision to classic and the FOV way up. Some of the tutorial-based concessions for beginner players feel like meddling from EA to attain a wider audience, much like with Titanfall 2. But just like TF2, Catalyst was intended for people who would hone their movement skills.

Enjoy!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Policenaut posted:

PS4 Pro's Boost Mode does a lot to help it.

Yeah I thought it ran pretty well. Unfortunately still not perfect and lots of explosions/physics at the same time still give slowdown, especially the Mech from the 2nd DLC.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of bullshit that PSN lets games list themselves as "Free" on the store but then you click on the link and it tells you that no, it isn't actually free and you have to buy some overly expensive pack to actually play the game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 27, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

poptart_fairy posted:

I dunno man, seeing Lords of the Fallen level stuff there in combat.

my thoughts exactly. that combat does not look even close to souls level

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
New games chat:

So far everything except the actual gameplay of Pyre is fantastic. The visuals/style are great and the soundtrack is amazing. The combat/sport aspect of it is pretty mediocre. I'm only 3 battles in, what still seems to be the tutorial I guess, but it's not very challenging and I'm not sure making it more difficult would make it more fun. Maybe it will get better, but I'm not really feeling it. The story is somewhat interesting though, so might be worth pushing through for that.

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is like Fantasy Life on the 3DS except not as good and no combat. It's mostly crafting, quests, and exploration. There is some farm animal management, but it was by far the worst part about the game that you can mostly ignore. There are portals placed to travel across the world, but the game could have really benefited from a crafted item to let you occasionally teleport. Finished with about 88% completion at maybe around 14-16 hours or so. Wasn't a terrible game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The combat in Hellblade looks nothing like Souls. It looks like a beefed up version of that ios game Infinity Blade. Id be willing to bet you hit with the right stick. I never really liked infinity blade, but Hellblade looks sort of cool. it's kind of tempting at the $30 price point but the gameplay vids aren't wowing me or putting me off really.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Right stick attacking? Too human, you ain't fooling me twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sold on Hellblade for atmosphere alone. I don't expect amazing gameplay or anything. I expect good graphics and good sound design, and a narrative experience. There are people who are disappointed when game only has those things to offer. That's fair, but when that's what I'm looking forward too out of a game, I can't really feel slighted if that's all it has to offer...