Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

InFlames235 posted:

Motion controls just aren't good. I'm lying on the couch with the Switch in my hand and it's just not lining up properly and it's awkward turning and all that other stuff. No bueno. Wish they had more sensitivity options for no motion. Kinda lame that they don't.

Please splat with proper posture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Motion controls have never, and will never, be good.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lakbay posted:

You have to turn the controller like a bus steering wheel to get decent turning speed on the X axis for motion controls

Thats why I use the control stick for those, makes aiming horizontally much easier

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Except for VR. They're pretty fantastic for VR.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

both are fine. whatever was wrong with splatoon 1's stick controls that make people get dogmatic about motion isn't in splatoon 2. when you set the sensitivity right you can play just as well for the average player. its not like arms where they purposely gimped controller players in numerous ways while leaving multiple buttons unassigned and unassignable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm still trying to get over the motion controls feeling awkward. The main problem is trying to aim down when I'm on high ground. Even with max sensitivity and constantly Y-resetting I feel like there are tons of times where I bottom out with how far my wrists will twist down and I'm always holding my controller at an awkward angle

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I keep loving up aiming in Horizon and the like because I keep forgetting that Zelda BoTW mastered every single dominion a video game should have including limited but well implemented and intuitive motion control

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Calaveron posted:

I keep loving up aiming in Horizon and the like because I keep forgetting that Zelda BoTW mastered every single dominion a video game should have including limited but well implemented and intuitive motion control
I'd love to agree but I still move my hand any time I hit a button so aiming in Zelda BotW was still a complete poo poo show for me. The only reason I get away with anything in Splatoon is because it's rarely a 1-hit importance kind of game and you'll never catch me sniping in it anyway.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

:yeah:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Zelda's light touch with motion was perfect and I wish Splatoon 2 had it as some sort of intermediate option

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I eagerly await motion controls for the golf RPG.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Stardew Valley is going to exclusively use motion controls to mimic a mouse cursor and Tim is going to die IRL and we'll all finally have peace.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bill Barber posted:

Stardew Valley is going to exclusively use motion controls to mimic a mouse cursor and Tim is going to die IRL and we'll all finally have peace.

:(

:negative:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I encourage all splatoon players to turn off motion controls so I can get more easy kills

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Disable both. Always look forward, everything else is a distraction.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Motion controls are good and I wish every duel stick shooter had controls like Splatoon. Everything else feels like a sluggish turd after getting used to motion. I now understand why mouse and keyboard players hate console FPS games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Motion controls are good and I wish every duel stick shooter had controls like Splatoon. Everything else feels like a sluggish turd after getting used to motion. I now understand why mouse and keyboard players hate console FPS games.

KB+M would be perfect for the Switch

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Dr. Tim Whatley correct when?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

This person gets it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

Dr. Tim Whatley correct when?

That was canceled.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Motion controls are good if you can move your hands and arms and have hand-eye coordination, if you don't have those things motion controls are bad.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have hope August will be the Big Month and all the great Nindies will finally arrive.

Have the Etrian Odyssey people said anything about the series migrating to Switch?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

What's disgaea like

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Bad Rats when?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No joke, Mario x Rabbids has been my most-anticipated game of the summer. Finally, Mario on a Nintendo console

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

What's disgaea like

endlessly complex isometric RPG which has a fuckload of options but also has the worst loving maps I've ever seen

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No joke, Mario x Rabbids has been my most-anticipated game of the summer. Finally, Mario on a Nintendo console

a mario XCOM is great and I stopped caring that we have to welcome Rabbids into the fray to get it, I really want to play it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wandle Cax posted:

Motion controls are good if you can move your hands and arms and have hand-eye coordination, if you don't have those things motion controls are bad.

I was a goalie in hockey for a decade and turned off motion controls.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How does Disgaea compare to Final Fantasy Tactics?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I was a goalie in hockey for a decade and turned off motion controls.

Sounds like you were a poo poo goalie dude

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bowmore posted:

How does Disgaea compare to Final Fantasy Tactics?

If your favorite part of FFT was grinding classes and watching numbers go up, it's better.

If you liked the story, it's worse.

If you like anime, it's better

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is Overcooked single player fun

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

That was canceled.

It was always vaporware.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mister Facetious posted:

If your favorite part of FFT was grinding classes and watching numbers go up, it's better.

If you liked the story, it's worse.

If you like anime, it's better

I love FFT, and outside of Laharl and the gang, every anime aspect of Disgaea has been insufferable for me. And I'm the Nep apologist.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sounds like you were a poo poo goalie dude

Well yes, :( but more importantly I have 17+ years experience shooting polygonal men in the face with a controller. That's 7 more years.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DLC Inc posted:

I have hope August will be the Big Month and all the great Nindies will finally arrive.

Have the Etrian Odyssey people said anything about the series migrating to Switch?
Nope. Took them long enough to announce EO5 coming stateside (August 2016 Japan release, announced for NA June 2017) that I haven't interpreted their silence to mean anything particular, though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm still trying to get over the motion controls feeling awkward. The main problem is trying to aim down when I'm on high ground. Even with max sensitivity and constantly Y-resetting I feel like there are tons of times where I bottom out with how far my wrists will twist down and I'm always holding my controller at an awkward angle

As someone who basically never plays console shooters I'm doing a lot better with motion controls than twin stick, but the sensitivity seems ridiculous. I have the motion and stick sensitivities both maxed out at 5 and it feels like I need at least double that. Hopefully they patch the game to just let you use whatever number you want instead of having a limited range slider.

Is it really typical for console stuff to have low stick sensitivity like this or is Splatoon just weird?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Splatoon 2 with the Pro Controller (especially the Splatoon 2 Pro Controller) is pretty drat nice. It's about the only console shooter I've actually liked. I've never been much good with Chargers though.

The Amiibo power armour is kinda silly unless you're wielding a Splatling gun, likewise I couldn't imagine using the samurai armour with anything but a roller or brush.

Takoluka posted:

I love FFT, and outside of Laharl and the gang, every anime aspect of Disgaea has been insufferable for me. And I'm the Nep apologist.

I like the inherent absurdity of contradictory demonic society, but you're right that only Laharl really makes that into anything worthwhile.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

As someone who basically never plays console shooters I'm doing a lot better with motion controls than twin stick, but the sensitivity seems ridiculous. I have the motion and stick sensitivities both maxed out at 5 and it feels like I need at least double that. Hopefully they patch the game to just let you use whatever number you want instead of having a limited range slider.

Is it really typical for console stuff to have low stick sensitivity like this or is Splatoon just weird?

Wow that's wild, +5 for both would be uncontrollably fast for me. I'm at -2 for both and I can throw a snap 180 no problem. If you want to speed up your movements, there are two key points. One, you should be twisting your wrists like you're turning a steering wheel, not pointing the controller like you would with a wiimote. Second, you can use stick + motion at the same time when you really want to crank a turn.

Some people use the reset camera button to snap their view 180, but I don't like to reset the camera during play. If you force yourself to play with a lower sensitivity and practice in the test range, you could adjust pretty quick.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Bill Barber posted:

I really want King Knight to be extremely inspired by (in the same way Spectre feels inspired by Ninja Gaiden) Wario Land. Just running around collecting treasure and gold.

This is such a great idea. Was there ever a Wario Land 5? 4 on the Advance was a lot of fun.

HURRY UP frogs are burned in my memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You have my axe.

Stardew when?

• Locked thread