Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The noise outro is actually cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

glam rock hamhock posted:

So I'm guessing from the lack of posting they hosed something up
I guess they decided not to stream their headliner for some reason. The festival's twitter feed got bombarded with hundreds of angry messages for a few hours last night.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The end of The Background World sounds like something that would have been hidden away on track 99 on a CD 20 years ago.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Whether a piece of art overstays its welcome is something you can judge it by.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you don't like it, just do this:

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Entropic posted:

If you don't like it, just do this:

"Remove Violence"

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

fallenturtle posted:

"Remove Violence"

Hahaha

This EP is growing on me. It works well coming straight from the first one too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Relatively long new interview with Trent.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07/25/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails-add-violence/

Quoting a part that seems relevant to recent discussions in the thread:

quote:

Then there’s the Trump administration and the current political tenor of the country. “Clearly I find it…disheartening,” Reznor says. But as a kid from the Rust Belt, he feels a deep connection to that part of the country, and resents the coastal liberal bubble that dismisses the realities of life back in his hometown. “When you’re not in an urban environment, you often feel left out of the conversation, and I get that. I grew up in that.” For that reason, Reznor says, he has taken extra care when talking to his kids about Trump. “Donald Trump is a bad guy, isn’t he?” Reznor recalls his six-year-old asking recently, after busting Dad indulging in what Reznor admits is a full-blown cable news addiction. Reznor responded carefully. “Look, I don’t think he’s a good guy. Some people do,” he told his son. “I don’t think he believes in science and I don’t think he believes people should be treated decently and I don’t think he tells the truth. That’s why I don’t like him.”

In more adult company, however, Reznor doesn’t mince words. “It’s tough, because the president of the United States is a complete loving moron,” he seethes. “That’s what gets me the most — that he’s this vulgar, grotesque dope, everything I hate in people.”

“I hate that walled-garden effect, where you’re preaching to your safe audience,” he says. “I like the idea of trying to reach people who aren’t following me on Twitter.”

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

quote:

The idea didn’t quite come together. “The piss-stained sheet was a pretty white curtain that looked stupid.” There followed a “harsh talk with the lighting designer,” Reznor recalls. “I said, ‘You are going to throw all this poo poo out and do what I said the first time. I want the biggest loving fans in Los Angeles to blow so much smoke that we can’t stand onstage without being knocked over. I want to be the Cure in 1981. I want to be just an outline of a lovely haircut and color and smoke and noise.’ ”

nice

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate Trentz dedication to the visuals of his live peformance not as an after thought.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The best thing about that interview is the revelation that Trent is (was?) only slightly depressed, according to his therapist.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess he's on the interview circuit, because here's another, longer interview with Vulture. Covers some of the same ground, but more in-depth.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails.html

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I guess he's on the interview circuit, because here's another, longer interview with Vulture. Covers some of the same ground, but more in-depth.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails.html

drat that was a really good question about the Hurt visuals actually

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
I wish he'd release the multitracks for Not Anymore (or really all of it). It would be fun to piece a part the chorus, maybe play with the mix levels.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

fallenturtle posted:

I wish he'd everyone would release the multitracks for Not Anymore (or really all of it) everything.

But that's just me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

drat that was a really good question about the Hurt visuals actually

also this

When your kids are old enough to discover songs like “Closer” and “Hurt” I assume they’ll have questions. Have you thought about what your answers might be?

I’m not looking forward to the “Closer” talk, which is probably going to happen quicker than I’d like. Just this morning, me and my two older boys were sitting in the hotel restaurant. Their mom has played the new EP for them a couple times. They’re like, “My favorite song is ‘Less Than’.” That’s sweet, but then I’m thinking, Don’t I say ‘gently caress’ in that one? Same thing when they were at sound check: What song don’t I say ‘gently caress’ in? I’ll tell you another thing I think about : I’m now thrust into adult events — school things with other parents, and just … You’re not really thinking about how lyrics that seemed cool at the time are going to register with parents at your kid’s school 20 years later.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

algebra testes posted:

also this

When your kids are old enough to discover songs like “Closer” and “Hurt” I assume they’ll have questions. Have you thought about what your answers might be?

I’m not looking forward to the “Closer” talk, which is probably going to happen quicker than I’d like. Just this morning, me and my two older boys were sitting in the hotel restaurant. Their mom has played the new EP for them a couple times. They’re like, “My favorite song is ‘Less Than’.” That’s sweet, but then I’m thinking, Don’t I say ‘gently caress’ in that one? Same thing when they were at sound check: What song don’t I say ‘gently caress’ in? I’ll tell you another thing I think about : I’m now thrust into adult events — school things with other parents, and just … You’re not really thinking about how lyrics that seemed cool at the time are going to register with parents at your kid’s school 20 years later.
Trent is the cool dad who taught his kids’ friends’ parents what a fist gently caress was when they were young.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao poor Trent, stuck on the Dadward Spiral

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

quote:

And I don’t want to hear about “Ashton Kutcher’s a loving tech genius.” As a venture capitalist, Kutcher has invested in tech companies including Skype, Airbnb, and Foursquare. I don’t give a poo poo about that. He seems like an rear end in a top hat.

Ouch.

[Laughs.] I don’t know where that rage just came from.

:allears:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He's lucky he doesn't play Big Man with a Gun anymore.

edit: some real good stuff here actually

quote:

Something in me needed the people making the music I loved to seem larger in life. I needed heroes. David Bowie was a loving alien, you know? As it happens, he was a loving alien. I was lucky enough to be friends with him and he was even cooler than I’d thought. But demystification is a real problem. There’ve been people whose music I can’t like anymore because I’ve seen them bitching on Twitter about a waiter like a loving rear end in a top hat.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 27, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I underhyped it, it's legitimately one of the best interviews I've read in a long time.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Trent Reznor posted:

Over the last ten years, there’ve been times where I’ve looked in the mirror and thought, Is there an audience out there for what I do? I labor over music that I meticulously create and then release it into a world where music has become disposable. People listen to music while they’re doing something else, you know? The act of even having to go to the store and make the commitment to purchase something is gone and it’s not coming back. It can make me feel a bit like, Is anybody noticing?

When I was in my teens and early 20's I'd just sit and listen to at least one album pretty much every night. Nowadays the closest I'll get to that is listening to music while walking or doing housework, which still isn't quite the same. I think the fact that I have easy access to so much great music makes me give each individual album much less attention, because there's always a whole pile I haven't even heard yet. So even for someone like me, who really values actual albums over singles and playlists, there's definitely a more disposable element that's crept in even with albums I really, really like.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

il_cornuto posted:

When I was in my teens and early 20's I'd just sit and listen to at least one album pretty much every night. Nowadays the closest I'll get to that is listening to music while walking or doing housework, which still isn't quite the same. I think the fact that I have easy access to so much great music makes me give each individual album much less attention, because there's always a whole pile I haven't even heard yet. So even for someone like me, who really values actual albums over singles and playlists, there's definitely a more disposable element that's crept in even with albums I really, really like.

:same:, it really sometimes feels like my capacity to enjoy new music is diminishing as I get older. I used to blast music on my commute to work wherever it was, nowadays I have a 15-minute drive and I almost never pay attention to what's actually playing on the stereo, even if there's a new album I should be excited about.

I haven't even listened to the new Minus the Bear album past the first 2 tracks yet :(

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'll go against the grain and say I still listen to full albums and I still try to seek out new music even if I do fall into listening to the same things repeatedly - at least it's an attempt!

I usually listen to it while doing other things i.e. work or cleaning but life is busy. I imagine back in the 70s and 80s adults didn't often sit around just listening to music while doing literally nothing else.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 27, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

il_cornuto posted:

There's also that as you get exposed to more and more music it becomes harder for something to genuinely surprise you and leave a mark. A lot of the earliest CDs I bought were stuff that was completely different from anything I had heard before. Cliches can be still be fresh and exciting if they're new to you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nail Rat posted:

<quote about artists in real life vs their art>

I'm a victim of feeling this way as well. We all SHOULD be able to separate the art from the artist, but goddamn is that hard sometimes :negative:

I am a die-hard pumpkins fan, and I can't help but be really bummed about how much of a shithead Billy Corgan can be on a regular basis. I don't think he's a bad person, but when he got into that internet fight with Devi Evar, that really opened my eyes to how much of a jerk he can be. And then he goes and writes stuff like Mayonnaise and Stand Inside Your Love. :smith: Be THAT person, Billy.

On the flipside, I am continually impressed and thankful that people like Trent exist. Both he and Tim Delaughter (of Tripping Daisy/The Polyphonic Spree) are my musical idols, and they're also terrific human beings :toot:

EDIT: As a side note, for anyone who only thinks of 'I Got A Girl' when they hear/read 'Tripping Daisy', I implore you to check out their criminally underrated album 'Jesus Hits like the Atom Bomb'. Psychedelic rock at its finest.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm 27 and I listen to Spotify's daily mix radio stations on daily basis, but I also listen to full albums from start to finish frequently. For example, I've listened to all of Add Violence at least 10 times since it came out. If a release grabs me, I'm gonna want to digest it as a whole.

Kelp Me! posted:

I haven't even listened to the new Minus the Bear album past the first 2 tracks yet :(
Don't worry, you're not missing anything, and that's coming from a guy who's seen Minus The Bear live the most times of any band in his life (I think 7x).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm a victim of feeling this way as well. We all SHOULD be able to separate the art from the artist, but goddamn is that hard sometimes :negative:

I am a die-hard pumpkins fan, and I can't help but be really bummed about how much of a shithead Billy Corgan can be on a regular basis.

:eng101: William Patrick Corgan, his mother in heaven thanks you.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you dont even need to read the interview, just listen to this - it's literally the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoaAb5MnKtY

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Some thoughts on those interviews and 80's music. Pretty Hate Machine will always be one of my favorite albums just because it was the first Nine Inch Nails I really listened to and I was 15 or 16 (even though it was about the time the Fragile was released). I have a couple of albums that remind me in an oddball way of Nine Inch Nails. Tears for Fears: The Hurting has some of that same insecure/raw emotional private journal type lyrics. Their delivery is much less aggressive than NIN, but its got some of those same vibes (and bad haircuts).

Tear for Fears: The Hurting
https://youtu.be/3ei-yhqFdRw?list=PL7Ov8XSkpPv1mBzn9efbYjmiv5lwzoWC8

Shreikback: Oil and Gold is pretty much my favorite album ever. I had first heard them on the soundtrack to the movie Manhunter and never found out who it was till much, much later when I came across their video for Nemesis. There are some songs that sag, but I love the overall tone of the thing.

Shreikback: Oil and Gold
https://youtu.be/6bMM61Y5CEU?list=PL-2F3nutRYE7_5MYBIn9Enxe6aADV05Ix

I pick these out in particular because I have them both on vinyl. I think the real draw of vinyl isn't the sound quality, but that you have real equipment you must use to listen and it's not portable in most cases. It forces you to be more intentional about listening and it requires (to a certain extent) your interaction.

Anyone have any favorite 80's era stuff that feels like protoNIN?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Tears for Fears is good. Some Talk Talk reminds me of nin. The more experimental stuff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah The Hurting is good; I was worried it might be forgettable outside of Mad World when I got it but there's some good stuff on there.

I'll get the obvious ones out of the way:

As was mentioned earlier, Depeche Mode was a massive influence on PHM. Check out the album Black Celebration especially. Other stuff like People Are People and Blasphemous Rumours feels close too.

Oh, Cabaret Voltaire, of course.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I haven't heard any of their albums all the way through but I always thought Tears For Fears was surprisingly good for an 80s pop band.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Joy Division and New Order were definitely influences, but in different ways. Which is odd since it's 75% the same band and there's not even that much time between the last Joy Division and the first New Order.

Neither really sounds like NIN itself but I think if you blended them you'd come up with something vaguely PHM-esque.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

t. rez posted:

Over the last ten years, there’ve been times where I’ve looked in the mirror and thought, Is there an audience out there for what I do? I labor over music that I meticulously create and then release it into a world where music has become disposable. People listen to music while they’re doing something else, you know? The act of even having to go to the store and make the commitment to purchase something is gone and it’s not coming back. It can make me feel a bit like, Is anybody noticing?

This new world of music is actually significantly better than what we had.

When I was a kid, you had to save up for an album and hope you didn't get scammed by 1 or 2 good singles. Discovering new music was limited to the radio, MTV and word of mouth from your friends. Music on the go was limited to a single cd or cassette mixtape.

Today, with :filez: and streaming, discoverability is through the roof. My entire music library is in my pocket and it's always on random shuffle. So while I may not be getting the full album experience or whatever people jack off over with vinyl, I'm constantly running into new stuff that clicks in the moment. When I'm at my house and I want to hear a specific song, I just say it and it's playing. No having to find the CD or trying to remember the track number or worrying about if it has a scratch/fingerprint that will gently caress up playback.

Maybe it's been bad for old media dinosaurs but for a music consumer it's been a dream.

(That said, I still listen to albums in full when I first get them and listening on random can cause me to get really deep into a specific era of an artist's career. Like I just went through a big Prince - Parade phase because New Position caught me on random which made me listen to Parade which made me listen to that and Parade era live shows a million times. I never understood that period before and having it on my sd card had the same end result as me having to pay $15 at Best Buy for a CD and listening to it a thousand times in a row [because I had no choice] before I finally understood it)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 28, 2017

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Call Me Charlie posted:

This new world of music is actually significantly better than what we had.

When I was a kid, you had to save up for an album and hope you didn't get scammed by 1 or 2 good singles. Discovering new music was limited to the radio, MTV and word of mouth from your friends. Music on the go was limited to a single cd or cassette mixtape.

Today, with :filez: and streaming, discoverability is through the roof. My entire music library is in my pocket and it's always on random shuffle. So while I may not be getting the full album experience or whatever people jack off over with vinyl, I'm constantly running into new stuff that clicks in the moment. When I'm at my house and I want to hear a specific song, I just say it and it's playing. No having to find the CD or trying to remember the track number or worrying about if it has a scratch/fingerprint that will gently caress up playback.

Maybe it's been bad for old media dinosaurs but for a music consumer it's been a dream.

(That said, I still listen to albums in full when I first get them and listening on random can cause me to get really deep into a specific era of an artist's career. Like I just went through a big Prince - Parade phase because New Position caught me on random which made me listen to Parade which made me listen to that and Parade era live shows a million times. I never understood that period before and having it on my sd card had the same end result as me having to pay $15 at Best Buy for a CD and listening to it a thousand times in a row [because I had no choice] before I finally understood it)

To say nothing of being able to find the poo poo in the first place. I grew up in a pretty podunk town, so my music choices were limited to poo poo stocked at hasting's, big box stores, and if I wanted to pay twice the MSRP, FYE at the mall. If I wanted to get a weird smashing pumpkins single or something, I was poo poo out of luck unless I went on a two or three hour trip to go to places with more stores.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah seriously. Having everything I want to hear available at all times on a little computer in my pocket is a dream come true for a former kid who had literally hundreds of CDs spread across multiple CD binders. It saves me so much time and I’m still able to enjoy everything I want to hear.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I remember there was a song I heard on the radio ONCE that I really liked and I was lucky enough to get the artist's name and it then took me 3+ years to actually find the CD in a store. The way things were really weren't that great (if you're curious this was the song)

I also feel listening to music less and not just having the time to sit down and listen to a whole album without multitasking is just part of being older and doesn't really have THAT much to do with the changing musical landscape.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Going back to that interview, man, it bums me out that he's misremembering what happened with Niggy Tardust.

t. rez in 2017 posted:

Maybe 30,000 downloads occurred in the next week and less than 20 percent were paid for. I thought that second number would be higher. At the time, I felt I was making a genuine offer, worded simply and confrontationally, for something I thought had genuine value. So I was bummed out by the result. It took the wind out of my sails as far as thinking of direct-to-customer as a sustainable business for a musician.

t. rez in 2008 posted:

Saul’s previous record was released in 2004 and has sold 33,897 copies.

As of 1/2/08,

154,449 people chose to download Saul’s new record.

28,322 of those people chose to pay $5 for it…

[charlie's note: NiggyTardust was released on 11/1/07]

Keep in mind not one cent was spent on marketing this record. The only marketing was Saul and myself talking as loudly as we could to anybody that would listen… If 33,897 people went out and bought Saul’s last record 3 years ago (when more people bought CDs) and over 150K – five times as many – sought out this new record, that’s great – right?

I have to assume the people knowing about this project must either be primarily Saul or NIN fans, as there was very little media coverage outside our direct influence. If that assumption is correct – that most of the people that chose to download Saul’s record came from his or my own fan-base – is it good news that less than one in five feel it was worth $5? I’m not sure what I was expecting but that percentage – primarily from fans – seems disheartening.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Going back to that interview, man, it bums me out that he's misremembering what happened with Niggy Tardust.

There was all kinds of hosed up stuff with that release. I pre-ordered it on October 25th for $5 but they never sent me any download links so I used the $0 option to get what I pre-ordered. I even sent an email to them to make sure Saul got the money(no response).