Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
PRO DOTA 2: THE INTERNATIONAL 2017 EDITION

What is Dota 2?
Dota 2 is a popular free-to-play action RTS developed by Valve Software based on a custom map for Warcraft III. It features 5v5 competitive multiplayer with each player controlling a different hero chosen from a roster of 113, each with four or more unique abilities that allow them to move around the map, damage or disable opponents, or accomplish any other number of weird and wacky maneuvers. The ultimate objective of the game is to destroy a number of the opposing team’s defensive structures and, ultimately, the opposing Ancient. To accomplish this, teams acquire gold and levels for their heroes from various sources around the map, use that gold to purchase items to enhance their power, and clash with the other team to secure a greater advantage for their own side that they can hopefully convert into victory.

What is Pro Dota 2?
Dota has a robust esports scene, with events running year-round and ranging from small online-only tournaments to huge invitational LANs with impressive prize pools. Valve involves itself with the pro scene by enforcing rules around team rosters and player mobility, as well as hosting several mega-large tournaments throughout the year - the Majors, held in various locations worldwide, and the International, which takes place in Seattle.

Pro teams are structured around each player taking a role that very broadly denotes what kind of play is expected from them, with one player serving as captain (often, but not always, the one responsible for drafting the team’s heroes). These roles are carry, midlaner, offlaner, farming support, and hard support. Teams generally consist of players from the same geographic region (for Dota, these are the Americas, China, Europe, the CIS, and Southeast Asia) and are divisionally organized using those regions as well.

What is The International 2017?
Once a year since 2011, Valve has hosted The International, the biggest tournament in the Dota scene by far. The International 2017 (TI7) main event will be held from August 7 - 12 2017 at KeyArena in Seattle and will feature the eighteen best teams in the world. The event will be preceded by a group stage from August 2 - 5, where two teams will be eliminated before making it to the main stage. At the end of it all, the top team will walk away with the lion’s share of nearly $25 million USD, once again the largest single prize pool in esports.

Cool! How Do I Watch?
The event is over! You missed it! Luckily: :pcgaming1: FORUMS USER emdash HAS COMPILED THIS LIST OF GOOD AS HELL VODs: HERE

Fine! What's Next?

EVERYTHING

Majuju fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

DAKOTA "KOTLGUY" COX MEMORIAL DUMB IMAGE REPOSITORY

stats for previous thread:

https://twitter.com/SirActionSlacks/status/935237469360009218

nahaz ruined by peter dager

SHORT FILM CONTEST FINALISTS
The Ward
What Does A Hero Truly Fear?
The Morning Routine
Shake Them To Their Cores
True Pub Hero
Alternative Tactics
From Hell to Paradise
People You'll Meet
Ability Madness
Little Dota World
Divine Ability Draft
To The Light
The Masked Warrior
Defenders of the Ancients
Let Me Help You

TWITCH CLIPS
ah-fu aegis steal

Majuju fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 27, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
sleeping dogs is right when you look at steam charts' numbers :captainpop:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I wanna say that C9 is still sponsored by the hot sauce company and anime since they carried over, but I can't say for certain

I will say that we need to get those hot hot c9 memes ready

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It would be was good and cool to see Necrophos win a TI game, IMO.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 13, 2017

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

ancient curse or not, I think EG might win TI7, though I would love for it to be VP

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you aren't rooting for OG get out

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

I hope s4 wins the seventh and final TI.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

EorayMel posted:

It would be good and cool to see Necrophos win a TI game, IMO.

There's a decent chance Team Liquid will play and win at least one game with him.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My mmr is 18k motherfucker

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hi . Eg will win ti

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
also the golem get ye gone is old

this is the new hotness

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
the most exciting games are gonna be the bo1s for like $250k (+ chance for more) as always

also secret is gonna bomb out of group stage

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

scaterry posted:

I wanna say that C9 is still sponsored by the hot sauce company and anime since they carried over, but I can't say for certain

I will say that we need to get those hot hot c9 memes ready

I think the C9 ceo wanted to carry them over

E: wanna give a shoutout to the stoats sign at ti4 and the 10ho on TIPME's phone. hell yeah boys

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hi . Eg will win ti

lol

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

scaterry posted:

also the golem get ye gone is old

this is the new hotness

this image is non-canon but i'll add it anyhow

Zo posted:

also secret is gonna bomb out of group stage

god I wish, but there's too many other teams that are gonna get stomped into the dirt hahaha

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

a sign that says stoats... at TI7?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

rtz curse in action

Hi . Eg will win ti

Based on the pattern of past winners - it's going to be TNC

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Guys where is the non-pro thread?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Zurreco posted:

based on everyone in this thread except me, you're looking at it xD

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Zurreco posted:

BBG shitted it up and the mods removed it but hes permabanned now so...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zurreco posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3802020&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#lastpost

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hello friends I am ready to shitpost. Thank you Goobusters and Meth for ensuring that I was not top loser. Majuju I am disturbed by your lack of hyphenation of e-sports.

I am excited for this cycle to continue even though I want my boy Artour to win TI. China won last year so he's guaranteed to win this year right???

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

i need to make predictions soon who should i pick for everything

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pick @dogf1ghts for every category

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Pick @dogf1ghts for every category

http://i.imgur.com/Fh5IUWz.png
sure IDK who this is

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

He plays Bounty a lot and he's real good at it. Also, best name in CN except for InJuly.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
How come PPD poo poo on Nahaz?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

succ posted:

How come PPD poo poo on Nahaz?

Because Nahaz is poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zurreco posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828240&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Majuju I am disturbed by your lack of hyphenation of e-sports.

sorry, I go by the AP Stylebook

https://twitter.com/apstylebook/status/849696651111309312?lang=en

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
THERES A ROOM WHERE THE LIGHT WONT FIND YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
goood op bad title

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How did these guys on empire make TI, I only recognize them because about 2 years back I would sometimes watch t5 CIS tournaments

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Elyv posted:

How did these guys on empire make TI, I only recognize them because about 2 years back I would sometimes watch t5 CIS tournaments

They won the qualifier.

Liquipedia is a great resource.

Navi sucks

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

They won the qualifier.

Liquipedia is a great resource.

Navi sucks

I mean, I know they won a qualifier, but was it because they're a good team or because everyone else blows or because they just got lucky and spiked the tournament?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Elyv posted:

I mean, I know they won a qualifier, but was it because they're a good team or because everyone else blows or because they just got lucky and spiked the tournament?

They easily ran through the bracket after the group stage (where the top 4 teams all had the same score of 7-2).

After VP I would say they would be the best team in CIS region. Vega and spirit show promise here and there but never managed to win anything this past year. M19 was the surprise of the qualifier because it's a Funn1k stack of complete nobodies (except for funn1k) and they had an amazing group stage upsetting so many of the teams.

But yeah after VP the quality of play probably drops a bit. Empire 2-0d everyone and 3-0d team spirit in the grand finals. Wasn't close.

Empire now is completely different from ti5 too.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

put the goddamn TCJimbo image in the goddamn OP

Also you might want to point out that there aren't any majors anymore for new people. Wait, who am I kidding this game ain't attracting new blood

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

*former economics professor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
golem get ye gone

• Locked thread