Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
The first Threadripper systems for sale.

iBuyPower gives you 3000MHz to 3200MHz memory, and a lot of choices in capacity from 8GB to 64GB, and Alienware only offers 2666MHz memory from 8GB (in a $3k system wtf) to 32GB.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Two threads about AdoredTVs latest video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6ppse9/intel_anticompetitive_anticonsumer_antitechnology/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6pppdz/intels_antitrust_practices_since_the_1980s/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'm kind've surprised so many are so shocked about this. Its not like the AdoredTV guy was digging through some obscure legal files to find this information. I mean heck its all out there in public easily searchable articles and wikis, not moldering away in some ex-engineer's basement.

Intels technical side does produce some solid stuff but its been well known that from a business ethical practices and legal standpoint they've been incredibly shameless scumbags since at least the 80's. Every bit as bad as ol' Big Blue was back in the 60's and 70's for the legal harassment shenanigans they pulled to supress competition.

Oh well whatever raises awareness of the issue is a good thing I guess.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 27, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's all "known", but it's still hard to put it all together if you're doing some light googling without someone breaking it down for you.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm kind've surprised so many are so shocked about this. Its not like the AdoredTV guy was digging through some obscure legal files to find this information. I mean heck its all out there in public easily searchable articles and wikis, not moldering away in some ex-engineer's basement.

Intels technical side does produce some solid stuff but its been well known that from a business ethical practices and legal standpoint they've been incredibly shameless scumbags since at least the 80's. Every bit as bad as ol' Big Blue was back in the 60's and 70's for the legal harassment shenanigans they pulled to supress competition.

Oh well whatever raises awareness of the issue is a good thing I guess.

In 2001 I was maybe 15 years old. I was not hearing about these things.

Anyhow, Ryzen 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoR0RDETGZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZifJ3DvumA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMRAGtO4LtA

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I wonder if the ryzen 3 launch was to maintain margins in Q2 or to wait for enough defective dies to build inventory for own customers. Perhaps both.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Risky Bisquick posted:

I wonder if the ryzen 3 launch was to maintain margins in Q2 or to wait for enough defective dies to build inventory for own customers. Perhaps both.

There wasn't enough defective dies is what we learned last month, because the yields for ryzen are stupid good like 90%+.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

The first Threadripper systems for sale.

iBuyPower gives you 3000MHz to 3200MHz memory, and a lot of choices in capacity from 8GB to 64GB, and Alienware only offers 2666MHz memory from 8GB (in a $3k system wtf) to 32GB.

It looks like Alienware have a policy of not overclocking memory, ever. 2666mhz is the official max for Ryzen and presumably Threadripper, and their Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E systems likewise max out at 2400mhz DDR4.

What a bunch of wusses.

eames
May 9, 2009

That AdoredTV video makes me want to buy three Ryzen CPUs to put in my closet just so I won't feel bad about switching to Coffee Lake in the next months. The AMD/KVM/NPT bug is still not fixed so Intel is the only choice there :sigh:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

eames posted:

That AdoredTV video makes me want to buy three Ryzen CPUs to put in my closet just so I won't feel bad about switching to Coffee Lake in the next months. The AMD/KVM/NPT bug is still not fixed so Intel is the only choice there :sigh:

I mean its not like that bug will be there forever with alot of big vendors going with epyc soon.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So can we declare the pentium line dead or what?

eames
May 9, 2009

wargames posted:

I mean its not like that bug will be there forever with alot of big vendors going with epyc soon.

it only affects a pretty niche case (FPS performance with GPU passthrough) so I'm not too confident about that. :(

Looks like Briston Ridge launched too? Some OEM-only APUs are indeed called Athlon. :3:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11669/amd-releases-bristol-ridge-to-retail-am4-gets-apus?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PerrineClostermann posted:

Christ tell me about it. I knew they did some poo poo, but not on this long and pervasive a level.

I love the part where Dell's revenue was mostly from Intel's bribes.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

eames posted:

This isn't AMD's fault though? It's on KVM, and last I heard AMD was working with them to get it fixed even.

Seamonster posted:

So can we declare the pentium line dead or what?

Yeah, along with the i3s. Because Intel decided that the G4560 was too good and it's basically out of stock everywhere so now were down to the ~90$ G4600 vs the 110$ R3 1200 which just stomps on the G4600. I guess the G3930 has a place now that AM1 is vanishing, but that might not last long even then because there is no way AMD has any reason not to try to price Intel out of the extreme low end as well. Just price the A12-9800 for ~50$ and be really smug about it.

A12-9800: 55$
A10-9700: 45$
A8-9600: 35$
A6-9500: 25$

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Threadripper has four dies? :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoVK6rJR5VE

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Huh, a binned EPYC. Surely this is kind of expensive to make.

Edit: He suggests AMD says only 2 of the dies are used. Why on earth would you bother to put two extra dies on the thing that will never be used? That has nothing to do with binning, unless they're not testing the dies until they're already on a package, and they only make EPYC packages. Is this industry practice? I have no idea.

Now the rumours of unlocking the other dies will start.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 27, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Raven Ridge allegedly spotted today, as well.

https://videocardz.com/71232/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-with-radeon-vega-graphics-spotted

1080p30 medium (with Freesync) I'll take for sure, especially if the U indicates a low voltage SKU. Looks like almost double the Iris Pro 640 performance?

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...52-70bcb8d3bca6

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

Intel is definitely putting the 6C/12T CPU in the 299-349$ category. Hyperthreading may actually move to i5s, which would be 4C/8T and the i3s will become 4C/4T. Pentiums and Celerons might just be Skylake chips.

From what I've seen, it looks like there's 6C/6T SKUs and 4/8 is reserved for i7s still, you'll just have 6 core i5s instead.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: He suggests AMD says only 2 of the dies are used. Why on earth would you bother to put two extra dies on the thing that will never be used? That has nothing to do with binning, unless they're not testing the dies until they're already on a package, and they only make EPYC packages. Is this industry practice? I have no idea.

This seems likely, TR is just EPYC that's not validated for server, which also lends some strong possibility that you can drop in EPYC into TR4, possibly with some modification, or that this allows AMD future flexibility in updating TR's SKUs.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

cheaper then throwing it away something makes it so you can't split up epyc?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to unlock extra dies on TR

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

I can't wait to unlock extra dies on TR

It's like the EXTREME version of Phenom II core unlocking. I'm going to laugh if you just need to do a microcode update or something so you could literally download more cores.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wargames posted:

cheaper then throwing it away something makes it so you can't split up epyc?

Yeah, of course it's better than throwing away a failed EPYC, I just figured the dies would be tested before sticking 4 of them on a substrate, but now I think about it, how the hell would you? Eh, I'm not a microprocessor production expert guy.

Still, exciting times. Threadripper is looking to be more and more compelling.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

How is the included Asetek mounting bracket going to work with that die arrangement then? It would have been fine with two centered dies, but with four I don't think they will be fully covered by the AIOs coldplate.

AMD apparently thinks it's not a problem though :shrug:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Wow, all the AMD info is dropping today. What's next, news about their imminent video card launch?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Maxwell Adams posted:

Wow, all the AMD info is dropping today. What's next, news about their imminent video card launch?

Sunday

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The one problem I have with Ryzen 3 in concept is at that integrated graphics should probably be present in the entry level price range.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

kirtar posted:

The one problem I have with Ryzen 3 in concept is at that integrated graphics should probably be present in the entry level price range.

I was thinking the same thing, although given AM4 will be a long lived platform and 4C/4T is about the norm right now for a desktop rig, I guess it has a place. You can upgrade to an R7 in a year or two on the same platform and spend the money on a nicer GPU now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kirtar posted:

That would be tough. The dual-core intel chips are more than 50% GPU by die area.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

HalloKitty posted:

Threadripper is only quad instead of octo channel, so only a certain set of pins are hooked up to the DIMM slots. I'd figure that they can maybe bin things in such a way that a die has no function cores but a working memory controller, allowing the reuse of other dies that aren't hooked up to memory. Of course, if that'd be the case, that'd suck, because it there might be speed variances between the same model of TR. I hope they don't do the jokerster option and run memory duties on all dies and each does a single channel.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

kirtar posted:

I'd have to agree with this. I think if they did a iGPU in the chipset again, just to have something it doesn't need to be much at all, to serve that need they'd be in the clear.

I believe AMD would argue that is what their APU's are for but they're not out yet and they'll probably cost at least a big more these new Ryzen 3's.

That being said if all you need is windows/word garbage tier nvidia GF210 dGPU's are available new for $30 or less.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There isn't any iGP on the Zeppelin die and R3 is just that same die again. We wont see Zen with iGP until Raven Ridge, which seeing as how Bulldozer based Bristol Ridge just now showed up today, might be further away than we thought.

Threadripper having 4 dies is so fuckin' weird... the chip he was delidding was clearly an engineering sample and non retail, so maybe the retail units will have 2 dies removed in the diagonal config?

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/890593099952664576

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think it's just an engineering sample. Didn't we see shots of TR's two dies, and the interconnected fabric between them?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

There isn't any iGP on the Zeppelin die and R3 is just that same die again. We wont see Zen with iGP until Raven Ridge, which seeing as how Bulldozer based Bristol Ridge just now showed up today, might be further away than we thought.

Threadripper having 4 dies is so fuckin' weird... the chip he was delidding was clearly an engineering sample and non retail, so maybe the retail units will have 2 dies removed in the diagonal config?

Bristol Ridge has been out with OEMs for like a year now though, hasn't it?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Combat Pretzel posted:

Threadripper is only quad instead of octo channel, so only a certain set of pins are hooked up to the DIMM slots. I'd figure that they can maybe bin things in such a way that a die has no function cores but a working memory controller, allowing the reuse of other dies that aren't hooked up to memory. Of course, if that'd be the case, that'd suck, because it there might be speed variances between the same model of TR. I hope they don't do the jokerster option and run memory duties on all dies and each does a single channel.

The quad vs octo channel memory between Threadripper and Epyc is a direct result there being half as many active dies on the chip. Each Ryzen die has 2 memory controllers resulting in dual channel memory access. If you have 2 active dies on a chip (Threadripper) each die can access two banks of memory simultaneously giving it 'Quad-Channel' memory access. Doubled again for Epyc to get 'Octo-Channel' memory access. A single core can't actually access more than two banks of ram at a time.

Theoretically if there was some way to enable the 2 other dies on a Threadripper chip it would also enable 'Octo-Channel' memory.

What would be really funny would be if disabling the dies was actually a function of the X399 platfrom. You put a Threadripper chip in an Epyc board and suddenly it starts showing as a 4 die part and you put an Epyc in a X399 board and half of its dies suddenly disappear.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cygni posted:

der8auer said in the video that AMD has confirmed to him that retail TR will have four dies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

der8auer said in the video that AMD has confirmed to him that retail TR will have four dies.

i dont remember him saying that in the video? he said that AMD confirmed that 2 dies were disabled in his version, but he didnt say anything about retail that i remember. if Ian at AT thinks 2 dies is still a possibility, thats probably a better source than a youtuber honestly. either way, the whole thing is weird.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hm. The heatspreader has that weird rib in the middle... That would be begging for Ivy Bridge-level shenanigans if the dies were pasted instead of soldered.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cygni posted:

i dont remember him saying that in the video? he said that AMD confirmed that 2 dies were disabled in his version, but he didnt say anything about retail that i remember. if Ian at AT thinks 2 dies is still a possibility, thats probably a better source than a youtuber honestly. either way, the whole thing is weird.

der8auer is not just "some youtuber", lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Cygni posted:

Threadripper having 4 dies is so fuckin' weird... the chip he was delidding was clearly an engineering sample and non retail, so maybe the retail units will have 2 dies removed in the diagonal

Yeah I also expected two in diagonal configuration. If it's really four (=binned Epyc) then why waste the extra cache. :thunk:
Lots of potential for unlocking various stuff, that's for sure.