Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
is there any way to set the button config so that the arrow keys move P1 instead of P2, and so you can map QWEASD to attacks

how do developers still gently caress this up

e: figured it out, didn't realize how the "keyboard movement" menu worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Crackbone posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA

Download the Fantasy Strike demo, unzip it, go into the directory, open up debug.ini

Change

startGameImmediately = False

to

startGameImmediately = True

And you're in.

This doesn't seem to work anymore (64 bit download). And yes, I started it once and got the file to show up. Changed and still locks me out.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Kantesu posted:

This doesn't seem to work anymore (64 bit download). And yes, I started it once and got the file to show up. Changed and still locks me out.

I'm having the same problem.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I made a fantasy strike vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMuT0Da8QI

I talk about the basics for Jaina, DeGrey, Setsuki, and Geiger.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

How are you guys playing offline? I'm stuck at connecting to server

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Keegers posted:

How are you guys playing offline? I'm stuck at connecting to server

You could change the .ini to trick it but it appears they fixed it newer downloads of the game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fantasy Strike would rule if it was like Smash where you could control your air momentum and b-reverse specials, but I guess "you press buttons to do moves" is fine as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did not know there were actual investor-style kickstarter backing now, which is neat. I wish I felt more confident that a no-name fighter that has F2P elements but costs $30 would make back its money.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Is anyone else going to DTN this weekend? This will be my very first fighting game event that I go to and I am very nervous/excited

im playing kof there.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

dhamster posted:

nidhogg is a pretty good couch fg for babbies

its extremely punishing, rweards patience and consistentcy. so the opposite of what you said

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009
please enter the Defend The North Kof14 bracket, so that i will have to play more than one match to get into top 8. By

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
I have a copy of the version the trick works on. Uploading it to Google Drive, would it count as :filez: if it's just a different version of the demo? Also you might have to have hidden files shown, had to do that before the .ini files popped up.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 27, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The KoRn Identity posted:

please enter the Defend The North Kof14 bracket, so that i will have to play more than one match to get into top 8. By

I did but I can't actually play KOF

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
i like watching KOF but my only knowledge of how to play it is "do lots of shorthops into crouching b"

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Speaking of KOF, I feel like the older generations of the game look better. Maybe it's the whole move to using in 3d models in 2d fighting games, but I much prefer the look of "drawn" characters over models. Wish more companies besides arcsys tried to replicate that arcade graphics style.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

arcsys's method takes a lot of time and money that the ghost of SNK basically doesn't have. KoF14 was made by one guy with any game dev experience and a bunch of twenty year old college dropouts who cranked their hog to mai once, basically. kof14 doesn't look great but it looks acceptable imo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

arcsys's method takes a lot of time and money that the ghost of SNK basically doesn't have. KoF14 was made by one guy with any game dev experience and a bunch of twenty year old college dropouts who cranked their hog to mai once, basically. kof14 doesn't look great but it looks acceptable imo.

Hell I didnt realize i was qualified to work at SNK!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Endorph posted:

arcsys's method takes a lot of time and money that the ghost of SNK basically doesn't have.
Time yes, money not particularly. Cost effectiveness always factored in their approach.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Keegers posted:

Speaking of KOF, I feel like the older generations of the game look better.

The 2 games right before 14 were the prettiest the series has ever looked. Outside of the Maximum Impact games they've always used sprite work.

Chev posted:

Time yes, money not particularly. Cost effectiveness always factored in their approach.

Time IS money when you're having to pay a buncha folks to work on 50 or so sprites that take 3 months a piece to make or whatever it was. You can only lie to the power company and say you're not home for so long before they say 'gently caress it' and cut the power.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Keegers posted:

Speaking of KOF, I feel like the older generations of the game look better. Maybe it's the whole move to using in 3d models in 2d fighting games, but I much prefer the look of "drawn" characters over models. Wish more companies besides arcsys tried to replicate that arcade graphics style.

It's the tweening. Older sprite art jumps from keyframe to keyframe and the mind fills the gaps with the most pleasing results. The 3D models seem to move fluidly from one pose to another rather than snap to a frame pose like sprite art (and I believe Xrd) does, so there's no gaps in the animation for the mind to pleasingly filll in, you just get every visible instant, which makes it look less appealing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reiley posted:

It's the tweening. Older sprite art jumps from keyframe to keyframe and the mind fills the gaps with the most pleasing results. The 3D models seem to move fluidly from one pose to another rather than snap to a frame pose like sprite art (and I believe Xrd) does, so there's no gaps in the animation for the mind to pleasingly filll in, you just get every visible instant, which makes it look less appealing.

Very true. Theres a lot more going on to gently caress up

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

get on goon discord and play me 98

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

its extremely punishing, rweards patience and consistentcy. so the opposite of what you said

bad players will still be bad, I just meant it's a game where you can mess around doing FG Things without a lot of execution needed, like FS and the other games people were talking about.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Nidhogg is the only fighting game that's made me break a controller.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://twitter.com/Enagym/status/889997578997161985

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

eah there's definitely some tricks they could do to make kof 14 look better, dont get me the wrong way, i just get why it doesnt look as good as kof 13.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Capcom a poo poo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

makin mochi

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Failtron posted:

I have a copy of the version the trick works on. Uploading it to Google Drive, would it count as :filez: if it's just a different version of the demo? Also you might have to have hidden files shown, had to do that before the .ini files popped up.

He made it publicly available. Upload that poo poo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Broken Loose posted:

He made it publicly available. Upload that poo poo.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7ugtyigwgo9yyqh/AAAn0RMlr2pGVwXbNstY4BrJa?dl=0

Unzipped with ini already edited.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

"The zip file is too large."

Can't direct download.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It'll be up for realsies later today, I wouldn't worry about it

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
That's true, but if it's up later today, it can't hurt to let people have it a few hours early. Editing that file leads to you jumping directly into a match. Couldn't get it to run at a playable speed on the crap desktop at work, so I don't know if you can just skip to the menu once the match starts. If not, it's not difficult to work out how to switch to other characters in the .ini file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwFroYV2V7cUdXl2anNWSmhZT2c/view?usp=sharing

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

theyre mining for good games

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Are their arms invulnerable or is the hitbox just that bad

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Itll be interesting to play a human in fantasy strike, because matches against bots devolved into skill spam.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Keegers posted:

Itll be interesting to play a human in fantasy strike, because matches against bots devolved into skill spam.

guess what: when you play people in fighting games they just spam cheap finger puzzles at you that you cant spam back. its seriously stupid.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

trying out fantasy strike - which function has the most complex finger puzzles?

edit: can you just bind jump to the up arrow? does that ruin The Vision?

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 28, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Elephunk posted:

trying out fantasy strike - which function has the most complex finger puzzles?

edit: can you just bind jump to the up arrow? does that ruin The Vision?

There's a setting on button config to enable up to jump.

Most complicated characters are probably the painter girl and the ninja, they both have some pretty cray stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Wait they turned Yomi into an actual fighting game? Are Squirtle and Thing in it?