Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

StabMasterArson posted:

dont loving spend $200 on this wtf
Im level 7 now and everythings still way too easy. got away with some missions without even building anything. also theres waaay too many systems in play that have little to no bearing on the game. at least it looks nice

This is my initial take on the game as well. Except with capitalization and grammar and stuff. Luckily, I went in with a buddy and only spent 40 for my key, so... go ahead and spend up to 40 on this wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

StabMasterArson posted:

Totally spend $250 on this it's the besting thing you will ever spend money on.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Game doesn't even start getting real until the 15 rank missions. And even then it's still not difficult. It's just there you'll likely start losing a few walls and poo poo.

My understanding is it escalates from there, but I haven't had much time and am still working on wrapping up that first area.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The game isn't really a challenge until lv40 enemies.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can you buy standard copies of the game and gift them to people, or do you have to buy the supremo edition to get the 2 gift copies?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Once you start hitting rank 23 missions, expect to see people failing side objectives repeatedly, and even failing the main objective in favor it of them. It gets pretty intense, and even with the founder guns you will find they swarm faster than you can take them down. God help you if you fail to see a gas tank husk in the crowd.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Please. I knew this game was garbage with pubbies the minute I was on like mission five and it's like don't overbuild. Two minutes later, 31/30 objective failed.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Please. I knew this game was garbage with pubbies the minute I was on like mission five and it's like don't overbuild. Two minutes later, 31/30 objective failed.

That stops like immediately after that level. People learn to do more with less, and there's a couple basic designs that fall well under the maximum limit. The rest people spend in funneling walls and traps everywhere.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

socialsecurity posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned is this is cross buy, buying it PC or PS4 lets you play on both versions transfering your data between each. Most epic games seem to do this I'm quite fond of it.

There is a very important issue with this "hidden" feature. Any Vbucks you gain on a platform REMAINS on that platform.

So unless you want your Vbuck spread out between 2 platforms with no way of transfering them, i'd be very careful using this "feature".

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StabMasterArson posted:

Im level 7 now and everythings still way too easy. got away with some missions without even building anything. also theres waaay too many systems in play that have little to no bearing on the game. at least it looks nice

I mean yeah, don't spend $200 on this. But this is like saying "I just hit level 10 in WoW and everything's too easy and nothing makes sense". It gets significantly harder as you progress through the game, it's just a gradual ramp-up. While I agree there are a lot of systems in this game (probably too many) it makes more sense when you get further in.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Looks like the servers went down, at least on PC

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Re-iterating how much better of an experience this is with friends. The grind is way easier if you can dump your resources/xp into one or two good schematics, and then share and trade around until we're each able to rock three oranges.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Idk why I bought this but I did and I hope it's good cause I hate having to go to the UPS store to return stuff to Amazon.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

I did this on my very first mission because Its the first mission you don't know wtf is going on and just want to go ham with building things since thats what they say the game is about.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have yet to play with friends but I'm on the goon discord and also on the Reddit one (save for a few idiots that rage and get themselves banned) and will probably start looking for people to group up with. A guild/clan/even created jointly shared chat channels would be nice.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I would love to play with goons, but I am not a normal person, and honestly, is a bit tiring to heard "wow, you are weird dude. Everyone thinks I am weird but next to you I feel normal".

If I want to want to wipe the whole map flat and build a borg cube with the face of George Whasington in it, what is the problem with that?

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Tei posted:

I would love to play with goons, but I am not a normal person, and honestly, is a bit tiring to heard "wow, you are weird dude. Everyone thinks I am weird but next to you I feel normal".

If I want to want to wipe the whole map flat and build a borg cube with the face of George Whasington in it, what is the problem with that?

You could go for it, but the AI will eventually pull you out of the server after four ingame days, usually.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Where do I find coal? I keep breaking rocks up but I'm getting nothing so I cant craft any drat guns!

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
You'll get some out of boxes randomly, but there are black resource nodes in caves that will always give coal.

Also the game definitely gets harder, the Defend the Shelter mission in Planktown can quickly go south if people aren't paying attention.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Trying to build those radar towers actually helps you learn the different poo poo you can make, still not worth it but fun to do once or twice.

Radar towers cost 300-400 resources and give about 200 per player. So in theory they're a decent way to get materials if people actually loot their reward boxes. Also if you're not playing Pathfinder Jess you can't just magically see every lootable all the time and immediately Kool-Aid Man your way through walls to grab the good ones. But not playing Pathfinder Jess seems like one of those fate worse than death things so I'm going to be real sad when I eventually pull epic/legendary heroes and they're not her.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Radar towers are dumb and lovely and annoying and the person who forced you to build them all piece by piece after the first ~3 missions is a psychopath. poo poo needs a "build tower" baseplate that just takes howevermany resources and slowly constructs the entire thing automatically.

Tei posted:

You can mostly do this in your persistent home base area, probably after you finish ranking it up to 10 so the shield is large enough and you don't have to worry about missing any "upgrade your shield" bonuses.

That said, there is apparently a maximum buildable items limit in a given area. So that might slow you down.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I never messed around with it but did anyone try out the Block Party mode they had up for a bit? What was your thoughts and why did they (I assume) remove it?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Read this before you buy llamas, or at least regular ones. The specific legendary llamas appear to be way more efficient for getting base upgrades, regular llamas are for upgrade materials with these rates.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6pumyt/llamas_and_luck/

Based on his stats, you get like 10-12 legendary guns over $600 spent, whereas you could get 13.5 for $100 with the current gun llama. His total legendaries was like 63, but if you spent $600 on similar individual item crates, you would guarantee 81 legendaries for that price. For anyone who has daily llamas stored, the way to go if you plan on buying anything is definitely waiting for the specific ones and using the others for materials. Though I think Mythic quality only comes out of upgrade llamas? With that said he only got 3 unique Mythics out of $600 and they were all survivors, it's not worth going for those at all. You would be lucky to get 1 mythic per $100 spent.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 27, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Where do I find coal? I keep breaking rocks up but I'm getting nothing so I cant craft any drat guns!

In caves, they are the nodes that are super black colored, the slightly off black shade is something else. You get metal or stone but then usually one or two coal pieces. You can also find coal from search items. I've gotten a fair amount from campsites and containers around them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I bought the Deluxe Edition, am I gonna have to spend more money to get anywhere in this game? Cause if so I'll go ahead and cancel that order right now.

Why is this how games are structured these days? I just wanna pay full price and have a game to play.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Popete posted:

I bought the Deluxe Edition, am I gonna have to spend more money to get anywhere in this game? Cause if so I'll go ahead and cancel that order right now.

Why is this how games are structured these days? I just wanna pay full price and have a game to play.

You will, calm down.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

People are like bad Seinfeld jokes in here, "What's the deal with pricing schemes these days????"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's more that it's super confusing. Is this game even officially released? It keeps mentioning that it's in Early Access season but it has a full retail release which is odd. On top of that is the game going F2P next year as well?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
You will not progress nearly as fast not spending money in this game, but also don't need to do it to enjoy the game. Though I've read you can't even progress past a certain point without paying because the money you use to buy llamas stops appearing.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean they should probably tone down the F2P, change the game to $30 B2P everyone gets all heros and weapons unlocked at grey quality. Then do all the currently random unlocks and upgrades but at a much less lovely chance. Can keep the paying for llama packs if you want.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Akumos posted:

Read this before you buy llamas, or at least regular ones. The specific legendary llamas appear to be way more efficient for getting base upgrades, regular llamas are for upgrade materials with these rates.

Yeah, but we don't know the release frequency of the legendary llamas yet, do we? Can anyone who was in the alpha chime in about how often the legendary llamas showed up - was it weekly, monthly, etc?

If it's a monthly thing, and random chance between ranged, melee, and people, you could be stuck using non-legendary equipment for a looong time.

How does transformation work? Can you eventually upgrade stuff across tiers? Or are you stuck playing the llama game.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Popete posted:

I bought standard edition and I'm doing just fine. Lots to do. Lots to see. Even have mythics and epics lying around.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I still have 1 standard key I want to sell, dropping down to $20 today if anyone wants it PM me on Disc Akumos#9076

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Popete posted:

It's more that it's super confusing. Is this game even officially released? It keeps mentioning that it's in Early Access season but it has a full retail release which is odd. On top of that is the game going F2P next year as well?

It's pay for early access and allows them to switch poo poo up because it's not released.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It also lets them put it on store shelves more easily to attract people that may have not been reading about it online. MMOs do expansion packs partly for the same reason. Gets something new and shiny on retail shelves.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So this game has become my new obession recently. There's something about the base gameplay that scratches an itch that I didn't even know I had. Still, Stormbase missions suck doing alone, and I swear the Defenders do jack poo poo even if I give them weapons.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Has anyone set a sniper defender in that tower by your base? I ended up putting in a pad in there, but have yet to have another defense mission to see if it is effective.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

jimmydalad posted:

So this game has become my new obession recently. There's something about the base gameplay that scratches an itch that I didn't even know I had. Still, Stormbase missions suck doing alone, and I swear the Defenders do jack poo poo even if I give them weapons.

Did you give them ammo too? Mine are wrecking balls.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Akumos posted:

I still have 1 standard key I want to sell, dropping down to $20 today if anyone wants it PM me on Disc Akumos#9076

I'll take it if still available. Sent you a request on discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So I'm guessing you can't repair weapons, only use them until they break and then craft new ones?

• Locked thread