Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

What is Rune Factory?

“Harvest Moon where you wield a sword.”-Yoshifumi Hashimoto, producer

The Rune Factory games are a series of Harvest Moon spinoffs. They focus on a fantasy element, downplaying the traditional farming gameplay to add more weapons, combat, and...sorta plot. Many series mainstays remain, like befriending villagers, growing crops, and getting married, but add some more goblins n’ poo poo.

The first game came out in 2007, to fairly positive reviews, but it hasn’t exactly aged well, especially in comparison to later entries in its own series, not to mention similar games like Stardew Valley.

So, what’s Rune Factory Two?

The second Rune Factory game came out in 2008, almost immediately following the first game, as if they had...very few changes to make.

This is because they didn’t. Rune Factory 2 is very much a similar game to its predecessor, both for better and for worse. The characters are still flat, the graphics still jaggy and awkward, and there’s another bafflingly awful design decision rivaling that of RF1’s Misty Bloom Cave and 2000 Wood Grind.

That being said, improvements were made. The combat feels far smoother, animations look nicer, and several touches that would persist into RF3 and 4, widely considered “the good ones” were put in place.

Why LP this game?

I did the last one and I have a problem.

Also, I feel like it’s a step worth noting. Rune Factory 2 is a pretty underrepresented game, without a ton of information online about it. While I wouldn’t call it a great game, it’s not awful.

Also 3 and 4 are already covered and if I don’t do this one someone else will have to buy Rune Factory 2.

Audience Participation?

Heck yeah. I’ll be needing names for the monsters we befriend for the farm, and that’s on you. So is the name of our hero, and the lucky lady he decides to marry.

Keep in mind that the character limit for names in this game is six.

Oh, god, not Rune Factory 2. Is there another Rune Factory LP?

I’ve got you covered.

If you want to see the good RF games, try Haifisch’s SSLP of Rune Factory 3, Truthkeeper’s SSLP of Rune Factory 4, or TheStrawHatNO’s VLP of Rune Factory 4.

If you want to see the first one I did it and it’s on the archive/linked above, but I take no responsibility for your decision.

I think you got something wrong here…

I will totally admit, I’m no expert on this game. I don’t know all the ins and outs, and I’ll probably be wrong quite a few times. Also, due to the dearth of RF2 information online, I don’t have my usual backup sources for when I inevitably have no idea what I’m doing. Feel free to correct me in the thread, I won’t be offended, and I’ll try to update the posts with the better information.

Are you actually doing this? Didn’t you say you wouldn’t play Rune Factory 2? Will this be the game that breaks you?

Table of Contents

Update 1: Anime Farming 202

Update 2: Arriving in Alvarna

Update 3: West Side Update

Update 4: Bandan The Bulletin Boy

Update 5: Please Fund My Bathing

Update 6: Dai-Kon 2017

Update 7: Barnstorming

Update 8: Romantic Tree Gazing

Update 9: Feeding Frenzy

Update 10: The Second Update In A Row I Can Call Feeding Frenzy

Update 11: Special Bulletin: gently caress Jake

Update 12: Summertime and Sneaking Missions

Update 13: Adventures In Biology

Update 13.13: The Canonical Death Of Bandan

Update 14: Bandan The Bulletin Boy #2

Update 15: Cabbage Scam

Update 16: Bandan Cleans Up Nicely

Update 17: Frigid First Dates

Update 18: Pretty Much The Final Boss

Update 19: The Skeletons In Rosalind's Closet

Update 20: The Greatest Adventure

Update 21: Bridal Showers

Update 22: Childbirth Speedrun

Update 23: Part 1 Finale

Update 24: Anna's Adventure

Update 25: School's In

Update 26: (Further) Into The Woods

Update 27: Making Like A Tree

Update 28: Going for the Green

Update 29: Playing With Giant Swords

Update 30: Trouble On Turtle Island

Update 31: The Best Boss Design In The Series

Update 32: 80+ Screenshots To Make Apple Juice

Update 33: Rune Fighter II: Radish Rage Extra Turbo VI

Update 34: The rear end in a top hat Statue

Update 35: Deus Ex Messhina

Update 36: Taming and Misnaming

Update 37: The Bane of Boss Design

Update 38: The Update Where I Get Mad At Video Games

Update 39: So A Mammoth Walks Into A Protagonist

Update 40: A Cold End To Summer

Update 41: Everything But The Mammoth

Bonus Updates

Marriage Poll

Monsters That Need Names

Pomme Pomme
Orc
Orc Archer
Goblin
Goblin Archer
Goblin Sniper
Goblin Pirate
Goblin Gangster
Goblin Don
Ogre Viking
Orc Viking
Silver Wolf
Buffamoo
Cluckadoodle
Wooly
Ant
Spider
Scorpion
Shadow Panther
Plant
Big Mushroom
Tricky Mushroom
Flower Lion
Leaf Ball
Planchoa
High Orc
Orc Hunter
Death Stalker
Ignis
Blood Panther
Tortoise
Giant Beetle
Flower Lilly
Weegull
Hobgoblin
Chipsqueek
Furpuff
Buffalo
Queen Bee
Hornet
Little Wizard (Red and Blue Variants!)
Ghost
High Orc Viking
Flower Crystal
Hunter Wolf
Fairy
Slime
Necro
Sky Fish
Dorado
Black Slime
High Ogre Viking

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 1: Anime Farming 202

So, here we are again, huh?

Neverland is no longer in business, and Marvelous is apparently some kind of mega-corporation at this point, judging by my cursory Wikipedia glancing.

We start, just like the first game, with a fully animated cutscene (Which doesn’t come across great in screencaps, sorry). There’s also J-Pop.

We’ve got some cryptic imagery, with shrines and doors to the void and such.

And now we’ve got the happy little town setting. This scene could end now, we’ve got both requisite parts.

Fear not, all your favorite Rune Factory features, like Mountain, Bed, and Animal will return.

Good hat spotted.

You can probably guess who our lead characters are by now, huh?

window

window
WINDOW

This guy also shows up to make a cameo in the intro, like the first game! I think he’s in the third one too.

Our hero, however, could not care less.

I promise, that was as weirdly paced and all over the place as it looked. Sorry, there was really no good way to screenshot all that. My bad.

Thankfully, now we can get into the actual game! New Game is pretty obviously the option to go with here. Wi-Fi support for this game is dead, much like literally every other DS game.

I’ll take your word for it, ???.

Again, taking your word for it, because the text box is blocking most of them.

: Hey, I haven’t seen you before. Are you just passing through?

: Passing through? Um, I think so...

: You think so? You mean you’re not sure?

I think the amnesia hit him a little worse than the last guy.

: Ha ha ha!

Some of the pink leaves fall and sway across the screen here.

: Wow...How beautiful…

: Oh, you really think so? Hee-hee. Thank you.

: Ah, yes it is! It’s called a “cherry tree.” They bloom with pink blossoms this time of year! That’s one of the reasons I love coming here…

: Yeah, I think I could get used to this place…

I think she’s supposed to be blushing, or she’s allergic. Springtime does that to people.

I love it when the screen shakes in an SSLP, because I get to tell you all the screen is shaking. Every time.

Actually, it’s the “incoming good character” alarm.

: You promised me that you’d stay my little girl forever!

: Yeah, when I was six! Why are you even talking about this?!

: Don’t try to hide it! I overheard you two talking about love and feelings and that sorta stuff!

: Father, we were talking about how much we love the flowers!

Including this shot just for Douglas’ happy portrait.

: You’re the one who scared US!

: I’m sorry about that… This is my father. I hope he didn’t scare you too much…

: It-it’s okay!

: Well, Mana, who is this fellow, anyway?

: He says he’s just passing through town.

: It-it’s nice to meet you, sir!

Our hero has already developed a speech tic, I guess.

: As long as there’s breath in my lungs, I won’t let anybody marry my little girl!

: R-Right, I kinda gathered that…

: Father! Will you be quiet?

: Mana, it’s only out of concern that I…

: But you’re embarrassing me!

: Listen, I’m really sorry about all this…

: No, don’t worry about it…

: I don’t even know your name! I’m Mana, and this is my father, Douglas. And you are?

: What?! Really? Why not?

: I don’t know! I can’t remember who I am, or where I’m from...Nothing! But I felt like something was drawing me to this town…

: Really? Well, I’m glad you ended up here! I guess you don’t have plans to go anywhere else, do you?

: Um, not really, no…

: Hey, Father, do you think we could lend him that farmland?

: Hmm...Well, nobody’s using it right now, anyway.

I will DEFINITELY use it. For sure.

: There’s some farmland just inside the town! Would you like to use it?

You can’t say no to this. Not that I’m complaining, the game would be real short if you could.

: What? But we only just met, and I couldn’t possibly impose…

: Oh, you wouldn’t be! It’s just going to waste right now. Really, I’d feel better if someone was living there.

: Well, let me think about…

: Y-Yes, sir!

: Father!

: Sorry…

: Sorry again about my father...But you really should use the farm! Besides, my father and I run the general store. If you move into town and buy things, you’ll be helping us, too!

I notice now while transcribing that Mana, like, exclusively calls Douglas “Father”. I guess it makes sense, but it is repetitive as hell. Throw a “dad” in there, Mana.

And here we go with the decision point. We need a name for our intrepid amnesiac here, and, as a slight spoiler, a name for his farm.

Keep in mind the six character limit, and I’ll take any suggestions you might have. Welcome back to the farm.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 25, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Call him Kylie and his farm Minog[ue]

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
He's clearly a Hippo doing his thing at Farm Awesom

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
He is the mighty Bandan of the fine ranch Doorag.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This is the traditional post requesting Troy thanklessly slave his days away on the Misery Farm.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

LordHippoman posted:

: I don’t even know your name! I’m Mana, and this is my father, Douglas. And you are?

: What?! Really? Why not?
Think this is the wrong screenshot for there.

You're doing Things to yourself, man. Good luck!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

theshim posted:

Think this is the wrong screenshot for there.

You're doing Things to yourself, man. Good luck!

Whoops, off by a number. Should be fixed now.

And don't worry, I know. Thank you for your sympathies.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Our amnesiac's only remaining memory is a song he heard in passing... That strange wonderous chanting... Agadoo... of the DooDoo farm.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

We've met the best character, we clearly must name everything after him in his honor. Doug running the Doug Farm (6 Character limit means no -glas :argh:)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Woah boy, you're really committed to pain, aren't you, Hippo? Or you'll need to be committed soon, something like that.

Name our amnesiac Rune and our farm Factory.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

ThornBrain posted:

Our amnesiac's only remaining memory is a song he heard in passing... That strange wonderous chanting... Agadoo... of the DooDoo farm.

I had to look this up and now I know it exists, thanks Thorn.

KataraniSword posted:

Woah boy, you're really committed to pain, aren't you, Hippo? Or you'll need to be committed soon, something like that.

We'll see by the end of this one. I just did a game I like, so I feel like there's some kind of etherial balance that must be upheld.

I'd also like to call attention to something. I didn't have this game as a kid, like RF1, so I bought it for the LP. While I was shopping, I happened to find the GameStop summary of it, and, uh...

This is not correct.

I don't think even the guy who writes the product descriptions played Rune Factory 2. I loving wish the evil magician FlimFlam was a character in this game, though.

Anyway, I'll cut suggestions/voting off at midnight tomorrow and make a decision. Some strong picks so far, but we'll see.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

...What.

I can't help feeling like this comes from a completely different game somehow, but I have no idea which one. It most certainly isn't a Rune Factory game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CptWedgie posted:

...What.

I can't help feeling like this comes from a completely different game somehow, but I have no idea which one. It most certainly isn't a Rune Factory game.

A cursory googling of the phrase "evil magician flimflam" gives me a Playmobil DS game, which seems much more fitting.

Incidentally, that same Playmobil game has its Gamestop description mixed up with an entirely different game too:

Something tells me the people behind Gamestop's website don't give a single goddamn poo poo about video games. :v:

That said, it's probably telling that Rune Factory 2's product description got shuffled around in what appears to be DS Shovelware Hell.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh man ground floor of a LordHippoman LP :allears:

I like DougJr for our intrepid hero/farmer, because we aspire to be the best character. Or someone pic a good Legend of Mana/Sword of Mana hero name.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Solumin posted:

someone pic a good Legend of Mana hero name.

There is only one: Chumpy

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
LordHippoman... Why do you do this to yourself? I am concerned for your wellbeing... Not that it will stop me from enjoying this, though! :munch:

Well, if we want to make a tradition of naming Rune Factory characters after Fire Emblem characters they look like, we could name him Gaius. Don't have a farm name suggestion, though.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Ty vote goes to Troy working his Field Farm.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glaive17 posted:

LordHippoman... Why do you do this to yourself? I am concerned for your wellbeing... Not that it will stop me from enjoying this, though! :munch:

Well, if we want to make a tradition of naming Rune Factory characters after Fire Emblem characters they look like, we could name him Gaius. Don't have a farm name suggestion, though.

This is especially cruel since it would be a constant reminder to Hippoman of a better Rune Factory game.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

This is especially cruel since it would be a constant reminder to Hippoman of a better Rune Factory game.

Ha, I didn't even think of that, how could I forget the best dwarf friend?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Mana does look pretty vapid...not that our protagonist is doing any better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
she looks like she's about to swallow my soul and erase all memories of my existence

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't care how the dude is named, but the farm must be named Jasper

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Alright, polls are closed.

A lot of really strong suggestions here, but my favorite character name has to go to Syphosaurus' Bandan because we'll be staring at that thing a lot, and I think HardDiskD has the right of it in naming the farm Jasper in tribute to an old friend.

I'll start recording and hopefully have the first few updates ready soon, though they will unfortunately probably be 90% meet and greet with the villagers.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Coolguye posted:

she looks like she's about to swallow my soul and erase all memories of my existence

Yeah, that picture definitely gives me the creeps. Kinda like she's liable to go on a rampage to annihilate all her competition at the slightest provocation. Competition for what... I'm not sure, and I most certainly don't want to know unless it involves her coming after me (and that just so I can try to fight her off).

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 2: Arriving in Alvarna

Fair warning before we really get the ball rolling here, this update and the next will be very dialogue heavy. I’ll be showing off getting the hang of the town, mostly, as well as meeting all the villagers we’ll be interacting with, so that’s a lot of text. I don’t like it any more than you probably do, but it’s a bit of a necessary evil.

Thankfully this is the single biggest chunk of dialogue in the game, so I’ve got that going for me.

Our hero is Bandan, as suggested by Syphosaurus. It really clashes with his hair, but I guess that’s better than blending in.

Oh, by the way, while you’re naming the hero in this game, he does a little air punch when you enter a letter, and staggers back when you delete one. It’s kinda cute.

: All right, let’s go! The farm is just to the east of here!

: Just to the east of here. Got it.

I’m finally in control now, and not much has changed since RF1 with this main screen here. HP should be self explanatory, and RP is Rune Points, which are expended when we take pretty much any action other than movement. Run out of RP, and you start having to spend HP. Thankfully, the RP stranglehold is a bit less constrictive in this game than it was in the last one.

I’m not going to show that huge map most of the time, so just the bottom screen will do. In another nice change from RF1, our character automatically runs, instead of having to hold down the R button to do so. R now toggles between running and walking with a single press.

The inventory hasn’t seen many changes. Notably, we do have slots for the X and Y buttons now...but more on that soon.

You can also see the stats for our hero up on top there. Level 1, as to be expected, but at least we have 150 G! Whatever that is.

These skills, while not connected to our overall level, level up independently while using the actions they’re connected to. Helpfully, the game actually explains what each of them does now.

Notably, Magic is here, as a new skill, that lets us reduce how much RP magic costs, holy poo poo, good.

This third tab is for the stats of our monster allies...of which we have none at the moment. Soon enough, though!

Here we can track how much villagers like/love us, on a scale of 0 to 10. Apparently Douglas and Mana aren’t too friendly yet. The Love stat applies only to eligible bachelorettes, so we will never recieve the coveted Doug Love.

Also, yeah, Mana’s a marriage option, but you guessed that, I’m sure.

The last tab (that I’ll be covering, the last one is just settings) is for Key Items. Got nothing, let’s move along.

Two screens to the east, Douglas and Mana are waiting at the farm, just like they said they’d be. Convenient. You can’t explore before coming here, by the way, as Bandan will just say he needs to go east and find the farm.

: Wow, this place is huge!

: It actually hasn’t been used in a while, so it’ll need a little work… Hee-hee…

: I think I can handle it. Don’t worry.

: Sounds good. Here. Take this hoe and watering can. Go ahead and try them out!

: Uh, you mean like, right now?

He gives a very wimpy swing of the hoe.

: R-really?

: Yep! Now try the watering can.

You’re going to ruin Douglas’ shoe!

: Wow! You already water so well!

: Yeah! If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were born to do this! There’s a natural farmer somewhere in you, kid!

Douglas didn’t read the other LP.

: We can give you both together for 100G. It’s a special sale price! Take it or leave it!

: What?! 100 for both?! That’s cheap! Too cheap, kiddo!

Well, who could disagree with that pitch?! Plus, you can’t actually say no.

: THank you! Well, good luck, Bandan! Oh, we also sell seeds at our house, so be sure to stop by sometime!

This keeps happening.

...Who set this as the default? Is this a joke to you? You think it’s real funny, huh?

Some wounds won’t heal.

Thankfully, we can wipe that away with the aid of our old friend, Jasper, at HardDiskD’s suggestion.

It’s good. :colbert:

: Thanks!

: All right, looks like you’re all set, then! Well, you should get to work and start making money!

(secret thread poll: is it “All right” or “Alright”?)

: Um...y-yeah, I guess you’re right…

: See you later, Bandan!

: See you later, Mana.

I feel like you’re pushing it, Mana.

: O-okay! Will do!

: Thanks! And good luck!

Now, we could get some extra advice from Mana, but I think we’ve had enough dialogue for the next...long time. So I guess I’m doing it.

If you played the first game, it’s pretty much the same stuff. L+B allows you to quickly access your tools, so let’s take out the Hoe we bought from Mana.

You hit B to hoe a square. Simple enough. However, if you hold the button down…

You can charge it, and get up to 3x3! It took until rank 3 for tools in Rune Factory 1 to get that ability, and it’s great to have this early. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m just going to curl a finger on this handy monkey’s paw and get back to the update.

Well, not all the squares were tilled, because there was poo poo on them. Just hit A to pick it up, and then make the quintessential human decision, KEEP/TOSS/EAT. I’m Keeping these Medical Herbs, they’re kinda handy.

I know I said I wasn’t going to talk to Mana, but if you ask her about planting crops, she’ll give you a free packet of seeds!

Also Douglas.

The way seeds work in Rune Factory is pretty simple. When you use them, they’ll be planted in any tilled soil in a grid around you, making a 3x3 square. If you notice I’m loving this up…

You remember better than I did. Maybe I should have listened to Mana. Ah well.

The watering can completes the basic crop process. Hoe the soil, Plant the seeds, Water the seeds. They do need to be watered every day, or they will die, at least on our farm. This sucks, but in a minor relief, RF2 has added that handy jug of water over Bandan’s health bar. That shows how many tiles of water you’ve got left before you need to refill the can.

You can do that in any water source, like this well. It’s pretty handy, honestly.

That’s enough Farm 101 for now, though. Let’s see what’s inside our new house.

It’s already pretty spacious, no need for an upgrade this time around. There’s a secret (kinda) on that bookshelf as well.

He’s more excited than I am.

Like last time, you equip spells on your X button, and can swap between them quickly with L+X. Can’t really test out our new Fireball’s effectiveness until we get into combat, though.

In general, magic is a bit more useful this time around. Spells can also be upgraded by finding spellbook pages, but that’s a long time coming. This is also the only spell we’ll be getting for quite a while, so we might as well get used to it.

The blue diary is a save point.

The Shelf and Fridge can be used to store items you don’t want clogging up your inventory, although it is pretty big. There’s a ton of room in them too, so space really isn’t a concern in this game.

It sure is.

Sadly, we can’t use this fire to forge anything. Don’t worry, that mechanic is still gated behind bullshit.

That’s all there was to see on the first floor, but we’ve also got a second to look at.

There’s...yet another Diary. Huh.

You can use the bed to end the day and wake up at 8:00 AM, with full HP and RP, but it hardly seems like the time to do that now. We just got here.

There’s another bed with an identical purpose, like, 10 feet away for reasons unknown. Also, that bookshelf isn’t interactive. Darn, no more forbidden magics for Bandan.

That’s all there is to see in the house. Let’s head into town. This gate is directly south of the house, and it leads into the East End of Alvarna, which I’ll be covering in this update.

There are already people! Time to do the natural social thing and just stand in front of them, barring passage until they speak with us.

: Ahh, really?! I’m Julia. I run the baths in this town. Stop by sometime! When you step into one of my baths, you get 100 times healthier. It’s true!

: Really?

: Really! So make sure to come to my baths every day!

That is sound advice. For hygiene and monster slaying reasons. Now for her blue haired friend.

Getting a strong good feeling about Rosalind here.

: Hi, I’m Bandan.

: Nice to meet you, Bandan. My brother and father might cause you a bit of a headache, but, please, be nice to them.

: Oh, don’t worry about it.

Bit of an odd literal first conversation topic to broach with someone.

: Okay, I’ll keep that in mind!

: Thank you! Well, I’ll see you later, Bandan.

: See you later, Rosalind!

Right, then. Now that we’ve got our first introductions out of the way, let’s start exploring the town. I’ll just head East to West, and I can probably toss together a lovely MSpaint map if people want that.

Our first building is The House Of Many Axes.

Or, uh, the Sharper Edge Blacksmith, but I like my name.

Tanya is on the Douglas tier of good characters, by the way.

: Come on! Aren’t you glad you have a fun mother like me?

: I’d rather have a normal mother! *sigh*...

Well, let’s interrupt this conversation before the teen angst sets in.

: Hey there! My name’s Bandan. What’s yours?

: I’m Roy. Where are you from?

: Actually, I don’t know myself…

: Heh, what kinda answer’s that? You have amnesia or something?

: That’s a big word for someone your age…

I realize I made the teen angst joke earlier, but I actually have no idea how old Roy is supposed to be. Maybe he’s like, seven?

I’m glad amnesia really is that widespread a problem in the Rune Factoryverse.

: I’m tending to Mana’s farm at the moment.

: That dried out piece of junk? Good luck growing anything there!

: I know it won’t be easy. But I kinda like the challenge… That’s why I figure I’ll be staying around here for a while...Guess I’ll be seeing you around.

: Well, if you ever have any questions about anything, you can always talk to me!

: Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

Alright, let’s talk to War Mom.

: Yeah, I’m new here. My name is Bandan. I’ll be living at the farm just outside of town.

: Ah, yes...Douglas was telling me about you. My name is Tanya. Nice to meet you.

: Nice to meet you too, Tanya!

: Well, um, not obsessively…

: Oh, that’s a shame. I am! Obsessed, I mean. Just can’t get enough of them!

: O-Okay...Whatever does it for you, I guess…

:allears:

: Unfortunately, though, monsters never come into town, so I don’t have a chance to try my blades out on any of them…*sigh*...

: Oh...That’s too bad...I guess.

: Th-They should…?

: Yes, they should! Should you decide to become a real man yourself, come on by! I’ll show you all sorts of fine weaponry!

: Uh, okay, thanks...I’ll keep that in mind…

Here’s a good reason to chat with Tanya, more free stuff! New, Rune Factory 2 content free stuff!

: What is this…?

: A Skill Seal for a shortsword. Equip it along with the correct weapon to use it. There are lots of other Skill Seals out there. But that’s the only one I’ve got for you. I hope you can find more!

: Thank you!

Before we go, I’d just like to point out that Tanya is not false advertising, there are a TON of axes in here. Tanya will serve as a Weapons merchant for the game, though unfortunately she can’t forge your tools like Leo in the last game. We’ll also be getting some side-quests from her to satiate her bloodlust.

That’s enough of the blacksmith, though. The next building to the west is the Bathhouse, but it’s closed for now. We’ll check it out later, but for now, I’ll just say it’s a daily refill to your HP/RP. Pretty handy stuff.

Onto the next one...

The General Store has some familiar faces in it.

:allears: Douglas.

: Father! I’m sorry about him. Really.

: N-No, don’t worry about it…

: Don’t let him get to you. You’re welcome here anytime!

There’s really nothing else to note here...except that I think they stole this table from Donnel’s house in Kardia.

...Hey, wait a minute. They stole that sign too! Anyway, this shop is the same as PARTS in the last game, it stocks seeds for farming.

Here’s another familiar sign, and the last building in Alvarna's East End. Or the first, I guess, if you’re going left to right.

: *sobbing*... Huh? What do you mean?

: It means that it’s important to experience everything for yourself. Here, you should be fine now.

: Thanks!

That is a five star hat. Literally, I think. I can make out at least one star.

: Hmph! My fortune-telling is NOT nonsense!

: Well, whatever it is, I don’t accept it!

Ray here looks like the chillest man in existence. And, yes, there are characters named both “Ray” and “Roy” in this game, and it kinda infuriates me.

: As a doctor, I cannot accept something that isn’t based upon sound science and reason.

: You’re both as stubborn as ever.

: How do you do? The name’s Bandan.

: I’m Ray. Nice to meet you.

: Same here.

...I promise this gets more interesting eventually. I’m also a compulsive liar.

So, Natalie runs the Clinic, which deals in healing and status recovery. If I play this anything like the last time, you’ll want to get used to the inside of this building.

: Thanks. That’s good to know.

: By the way, my sister’s a fortune-teller. She’s still learning, but maybe you could humor her once in a while.

: Heh, sure thing!

Let’s see what Alicia can do for us.

: Let’s see what it says...Hmm...You’re not from this town, are you?

: Uh, that’s right.

: Really?! I did it! I really am an amzing fortune-teller after all!

gently caress I SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE THREAD “Rune Factory Part 2: Cabbage Tendency”.

: What? No, no, I wasn’t thinking that!

: Hmph! Don’t lie! My readings are always right! And even if they are off a little bit sometimes, who’s to say I can’t help make them happen?

: (That’s not exactly fortune-telling if you help MAKE your fortunes come true…)

: Ah! Right now, you’re thinking, “It’s not really fortune-telling if you help make your fortunes come true!”

: What? No, no, of course I wasn’t!

: Hmph! Well, I think I’ve made my point...What’s your name?

: I’m Bandan.

: My name’s Alicia! And, as you’ve probably surmised, I’m a fortune-teller! I’m particularly good at love readings and foretelling the weather! It’s nice to meet you!

Alicia is actually a very helpful character, but we’ll get more into that in the future. She’s also an eligible bachelorette, so if you think Bandan should wed that hat, it’s possible.

: O-okay!

Now then, here’s our last character for the update.

: Nice to meet you too. My name is Bandan. I’m living at Douglas and Mana’s farm.

: Ah, that’s right… I heard someone new had moved to that farm. Tell me, have Douglas and Mana forced you to buy their goods?

: Uh, well, kind of, actually! Heh heh…

: Well, in truth, they really aren’t bad people, so don’t hold a grudge against them!

: Ah, that’s good to know.

I feel like this is a fair, semi-ironic note to end on. Next time, we meet the rest of the townsfolk, and get one update closer to the part of the LP I’m not dreading.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 2, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Douglas' mustache makes me uncomfortable

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

if you think Bandan should wed that hat, it’s possible.

So far? Yes, actually. That hat is glorious!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What is this, Toxic Masculinity: The Game? A real man buys stuff and swings his sword around!

Anyway, marry Ray and run the chillest farm.

....what, no marrying dudes? Well, at least that hat more than makes up for it! Alicia has my vote for now.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ah, the best part of a Rune Factory game: meeting all the completely insane people in the town and deciding who to marry based on attire :allears:

e: if only because I'm assuming warmom is off-limits

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Douglas' mustache makes me uncomfortable

I don't like how the two halves don't really seem to touch but otherwise it's good.

theshim posted:

e: if only because I'm assuming warmom is off-limits

War Mom is off limits because she got married once and that means she's basically a million years old in Rune Factory World.

We've met four of the seven marriage choices now, and I'll be setting up a poll again once we get all of them. I want to get married ASAP in this game because it locks off a TON OF STUFF for...plot reasons. I'm being really cagey about this but I think it was an advertised feature of the game.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 26, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Warmom would be the best wife. Shame she's a billion years old in fantasy terms because she's married and has kids.

Without spoiling who the waifus are, I can't say who I decided on playing the game for the first time. A whole lot is locked behind marriage for reasons. Probably why this Rune Factory isn't as well remembered as 1 or 3 on the DS.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Solumin posted:

Anyway, marry Ray and run the chillest farm.

....what, no marrying dudes?

You know, it's actually interesting you bring that up. Apparently, if you look in the game's files, you can find that Ray has a wedding dress portrait! So, at some point in development, Ray was meant to be a female character.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LordHippoman posted:

We've met four of the seven marriage choices now, and I'll be setting up a poll again once we get all of them. I want to get married ASAP in this game because it locks off a TON OF STUFF for...plot reasons. I'm being really cagey about this but I think it was an advertised feature of the game.

Yeah, it's like A Wonderful Life in that regard, though not nearly as extreme.

It's a shame really, I wish these farming life sims did make married life more integrated into the core gameplay rather than a "post-credits reward" thing, and the only two games that really do that are among the least liked due to dated gameplay mechanics (and in AWL's case, a dearth of interesting content relative to the expected playtime).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

TBH I thought Ray was a chick as well.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I can probably toss together a lovely MSpaint map if people want that.
The good news is instead of drawing everything in MSPaint, You only need to MSPaint over this concept art taken from wikia.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, why are the best characters never romancable in these games?

Sword mom is obviously the best character thus far

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

LordHippoman posted:

Getting a strong good feeling about Rosalind here.

I'm excited already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, why are the best characters never romancable in these games?

Sword mom is obviously the best character thus far

The best characters are always, inexplicably, parents.

Except in Rune Factory 4, where you can't marry the best people despite them both being obviously single.

• Locked thread