Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Gimbal lock posted:

You can ghetto-ninja squid if you don't go full speed

It's next to useless in a fight though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Playing Salmon Run will get you more tickets than you can use.

Maybe if I could actually access Salmon Run at sane times of day I would play it

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just picked this up yesterday. Am pretty bad still, but having so much fun playing this. Still have yet to get outta turf wars. It'd be nice if there was an option to change your load out between rounds without completely exiting the lobby. I mean it's a p casual shooter experience, so it's not really the end of the world having to back out.

Already really disliking the aerospray. I've made the conscious effort to not even buy it/use it. Seems a bit op in turf wars. Like it has way too high of an ammo capacity.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dragon enthusiast posted:

Maybe if I could actually access Salmon Run at sane times of day I would play it

There's a 24-hour one from Friday night to Saturday night, I don't know what else to say.

It's like, on the one hand it's a loving weird decision to make the horde mode time sensitive. On the other hand, the way people are howling about it on the internet probably confirms what I assume is Nintendo's fear that constant Salmon Run availability would split the player base and reduce matchmaking performance for Turf War.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

deadly_pudding posted:

There's a 24-hour one from Friday night to Saturday night, I don't know what else to say.

It's like, on the one hand it's a loving weird decision to make the horde mode time sensitive. On the other hand, the way people are howling about it on the internet probably confirms what I assume is Nintendo's fear that constant Salmon Run availability would split the player base and reduce matchmaking performance for Turf War.

They sold half a million loving units in the first week, If they're worried about that, maybe limit salmon run availability when there's not a fuckton of people still playing, like in a year or so.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's odd because the queue is already split like crazy between turf war, the various solo queue ranks, and league battle ranks

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

He does it again.

http://smaiart.tumblr.com/post/163370587539/he-does-it-again

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I get if they don't want to allow matchmaking, but they should totally allow you to group up with friends online to play Salmon run. at anytime. I have more fun playing Salmon run with friends than Turf War or ranked stuff.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
So I just popped into the game last night, did the tutorial and got thrown immediately into multiplayer with like level 15s, 16s and 20s and got absolutely destroyed. I tried to find a local mode vs AI so I could get some practice but nope, no dice. I then discovered campaign mode. Should I run campaign mode and then jump into multiplayer? I feel like that is the way to go.

Also, what are your opinions on motion control? I did the tutorial with it, wasn't sure about it so switched to non motion controls and it seemed...more difficult.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

weird Asian candy posted:

So I just popped into the game last night, did the tutorial and got thrown immediately into multiplayer with like level 15s, 16s and 20s and got absolutely destroyed. I tried to find a local mode vs AI so I could get some practice but nope, no dice. I then discovered campaign mode. Should I run campaign mode and then jump into multiplayer? I feel like that is the way to go.

Also, what are your opinions on motion control? I did the tutorial with it, wasn't sure about it so switched to non motion controls and it seemed...more difficult.

Motion control is generally regarded as the way to play, because once you get used to it, it's basically a mouse for precision aiming. I had to turn the sensitivity way up, though.

Don't worry about high-level people in Turf War. It's the casual/unranked mode, so it's pretty much a writhing pile of everybody who doesn't feel like playing ranked. Especially right now, when there's a lot of veterans from Splatoon 1. You're just as likely to get ruined by a team of level 1s as you are a team of level 20s.

Campaign will help you get used to the controls, but the enemies are not comparable to human enemies at all. Even the ones that sort of behave like human enemies are way stupider than a real person, and have bad aim.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes the campaign is a very good tutorial

Most people in here will try to get you to use motion controls since it's more accurate so use those

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Got the splatterscope back. I am finally ready to play Splatoon 2.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

deadly_pudding posted:

Motion control is generally regarded as the way to play, because once you get used to it, it's basically a mouse for precision aiming. I had to turn the sensitivity way up, though.

Don't worry about high-level people in Turf War. It's the casual/unranked mode, so it's pretty much a writhing pile of everybody who doesn't feel like playing ranked. Especially right now, when there's a lot of veterans from Splatoon 1. You're just as likely to get ruined by a team of level 1s as you are a team of level 20s.

Campaign will help you get used to the controls, but the enemies are not comparable to human enemies at all. Even the ones that sort of behave like human enemies are way stupider than a real person, and have bad aim.

Lakbay posted:

Yes the campaign is a very good tutorial

Most people in here will try to get you to use motion controls since it's more accurate so use those

Kinda what I was thinking, thank you!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you should treat the campaign as a motion control tutorial

generally speaking even with tilt controls you should be using the stick for coarse horizontal aiming then fine tuning with the gyro.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Also, you can't really do a 180º turn with just one or the other; you have to push both in the same direction.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

you should treat the campaign as a motion control tutorial

generally speaking even with tilt controls you should be using the stick for coarse horizontal aiming then fine tuning with the gyro.

Yeah, I did the regular control and was like whoa these motion controls are weird! Then I switched to non motion and was basically completely useless because I was still trying to target with motion controls lol, so I'm switching back.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Beelzebozo posted:

Also, you can't really do a 180º turn with just one or the other; you have to push both in the same direction.

You're supposed to make your inkling face you, the player, then mash Y to do a 180 but I forget to do it 97% of the time and end up just turning the camera and getting splatted

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yea, if turf war seems too intimidating right now, definitely go through the single player mode. Try all the control options you have to see what feels best -- individual Joy-cons feel quite different than when they're in the grip, or the Pro controller, or handheld mode.

Most people will recommend motion control because it offers an easier route to quick precision, it just might take a few days to click. Sensitivity settings are up to you. Don't forget that it's totally okay to use both analog and motion at the same time, or you can just pick one or the other.

My personal settings are +3 for analog, +1.5 for motion. I'll use analog for large camera movements in non-firefight areas, but as soon as I'm trying to engage someone, I face them, push Y to snap the camera, and use motion just about exclusively. YMMV, especially for weapons where precision isn't of utmost importance (e.g. rollers, brushes, buckets.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Play some of single player. Use motion controls unless you have a disability of some kind. It's OK to get hosed in multiplayer - it doesn't cost you anything and you will get better with each game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The campaign is a great tutorial because now it teaches you all the weapon types too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Holy poo poo Octobrush Ninjas are just the most depressing thing to play against. Did something change with it? They seem to render entire teams utterly defenceless in Ranked, and I've not had a single game against one that wasn't utterly miserable and also a total shutout.

Also does anyone know how the game ranks players in the leaderboard at the end of ranked matches? It sure as hell isn't kills anymore; the last match I played had 8, 6, 3, and 12 kills, in that order.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the only reason you shouldn't use motion controls is if you play other console shooters, because it will completely gently caress up your ability to aim in all of them

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

the only reason you shouldn't use motion controls is if you play other console shooters, because it will completely gently caress up your ability to aim in all of them

Good thing Splatoon is the only one worth playing.:smug:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

enojy posted:

Yea, if turf war seems too intimidating right now, definitely go through the single player mode. Try all the control options you have to see what feels best -- individual Joy-cons feel quite different than when they're in the grip, or the Pro controller, or handheld mode.

Most people will recommend motion control because it offers an easier route to quick precision, it just might take a few days to click. Sensitivity settings are up to you. Don't forget that it's totally okay to use both analog and motion at the same time, or you can just pick one or the other.

My personal settings are +3 for analog, +1.5 for motion. I'll use analog for large camera movements in non-firefight areas, but as soon as I'm trying to engage someone, I face them, push Y to snap the camera, and use motion just about exclusively. YMMV, especially for weapons where precision isn't of utmost importance (e.g. rollers, brushes, buckets.)

The Bloop posted:

Play some of single player. Use motion controls unless you have a disability of some kind. It's OK to get hosed in multiplayer - it doesn't cost you anything and you will get better with each game.

Awesome advice, thank you guys! And Enojy, thanks for the sensitivity numbers, I do think I will tweak mine from default a bit.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Just a heads up to folk who wonder when the next Salmon Runs are happening: You can see the schedule of upcoming Runs whilst in the square by pressing status, changing the tab to modes and choosing Salmon Run. It'll show the next one and four other future work hours, so you don't have to feel like you're on a zero-hour work contract.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Rexroom posted:

Just a heads up to folk who wonder when the next Salmon Runs are happening: You can see the schedule of upcoming Runs whilst in the square by pressing status, changing the tab to modes and choosing Salmon Run. It'll show the next one and four other future work hours, so you don't have to feel like you're on a zero-hour work contract.

Sadly, you can't look up the schedule of the only mode where the schedule is important in the section of the app that lets you look up schedules.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

dog nougat posted:

Just picked this up yesterday. Am pretty bad still, but having so much fun playing this. Still have yet to get outta turf wars. It'd be nice if there was an option to change your load out between rounds without completely exiting the lobby. I mean it's a p casual shooter experience, so it's not really the end of the world having to back out.

Already really disliking the aerospray. I've made the conscious effort to not even buy it/use it. Seems a bit op in turf wars. Like it has way too high of an ammo capacity.

The Aerospray is good at painting turf and nothing else. It has lovely range and eats through ink like whoa. It's my go-to "just wanna get a good score in Turf War with minimal effort" weapon. If you're having legit trouble against Aerosprays then use a weapon that out-ranges it, which is... pretty much all of the guns. For instance the N-Zap has almost identical rate of fire, a narrower spread, and a lot more range than the Aerospray. Try that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The N-Zap also deals more damage and has a lower minimum hit to kill threshold.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fedule posted:

Holy poo poo Octobrush Ninjas are just the most depressing thing to play against. Did something change with it? They seem to render entire teams utterly defenceless in Ranked, and I've not had a single game against one that wasn't utterly miserable and also a total shutout.

Also does anyone know how the game ranks players in the leaderboard at the end of ranked matches? It sure as hell isn't kills anymore; the last match I played had 8, 6, 3, and 12 kills, in that order.

Splatling gun on an elevated position seems to work pretty good against them, pay attention to the noises you hear around you and if you have sprinklers throw them to use as a distraction/bait for enemy players.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fedule posted:

Their range got buffed if I had to guess from splat1. Their strength is also their weakness though, never run up to a puddle of bad ink and they can't get you. Them, carbon rollers, etc all make you have to play a little defensively but if you give them limited paths to come at you then their effectiveness drops off a cliff.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Silver Falcon posted:

The Aerospray is good at painting turf and nothing else. It has lovely range and eats through ink like whoa. It's my go-to "just wanna get a good score in Turf War with minimal effort" weapon. If you're having legit trouble against Aerosprays then use a weapon that out-ranges it, which is... pretty much all of the guns. For instance the N-Zap has almost identical rate of fire, a narrower spread, and a lot more range than the Aerospray. Try that.

I started with Aerospray but moved on to the Splattershot Pro. The range is way better and mows down inklings in no time at all. Can usually kill a group of three before they realize I'm there. I don't really like the sub and special for it though. The special I discovered is more a supplement than an ink cover since everyone in the cloud will be taking damage as you shoot them. I guess I should just learn how to use the sub weapon better.

I went to playing BOTW after playinG Splatoon 2 all weekend and I was completely hosed up at first. I couldn't move the camera at all, and when I did it was too slow. Had to boost the camera sensitivity to max.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Silver Falcon posted:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is there a better way to share good Splatoon 2 posts? I've just been taking screenshots.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's not tied to a site like miiverse was so nah screenshots it is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I vastly prefer the final boss in this game to the first one. Still not beaten it though, the rail bit is fuckin me up

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Man I vastly prefer the final boss in this game to the first one. Still not beaten it though, the rail bit is fuckin me up

how

that last bit is basically a glorified cutscene

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was on the train and it was sorta janky. Almost home and I assume it'll be much easier

e: I also spent way too long trying to fire the Rainmaker at the dude and not the fists like an idiot

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

In turf wars if I have the roller unless I get a bunch of kills my score is awful even if I paint the poo poo out of things. Am I doing something wrong?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Invalid Validation posted:

In turf wars if I have the roller unless I get a bunch of kills my score is awful even if I paint the poo poo out of things. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you painting the walls? They don't count towards your score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

You'd think the point of playing this game was to have fun.

I meant playing single player. I got the two weapons I wanted replicas of and was considering a third sometime soon. Incentive was "at least I'll get tickets and that'll help go to the MP side of things."

Now that the only thing I get from SP are SP only things and reskins it's lost the incentive. No need to be snide about it :shobon: