Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hello and welcome to the extremely accurate and definitive simulation of One (1) season of NBA basketball as played by the teams from this year's Be Your Own GM thread.

Here's a spreedsheet containing a list of each team's roster.
Here are the voting results for the game.
code:
BYOGM Playoff Seeding Poll Results

East
1. Bulls
2. Wizards
3. Pistons
4. Raptors
5. Magic
6. Cavaliers
7. Heat
8. Hornets

West
1. Rockets
2. Clippers
3. Pelicans
4. Spurs 
5. Kings
6. Jazz
7. Blazers
8. Twolves
About the Simulation

The games will be simulated in NBA 2k13, as it is the most actively modded 2k game. I'm using NBA 2k13's URB mod because the roster is updated frequently and the player ratings are achieved using advanced stats. If you enjoy near-obsessive amounts of attention to detail in your simulations and want to simulate the 1989 NBA season using accurate jerseys, shoes, and courts, I suggest checking it out. Anyways I will be the puppetmaster in that I'm pressing "Simulate" each time but I'm going to be totally hands off otherwise, don't shoot the messenger if your glorious group of boys fail to win a game.

Because of the limitations of the mod, we're going to be simulating the 2016 NBA schedule. Sorry, but that's what the mod defaults to and players would retire before the beginning of the 2017 season, making some rosters impossible (Dirk and Jared Dudley announced their retirements on the first day of the season, so they won't be available next season.) I turned off injuries because it'd be really uninteresting for someone's season to get derailed by a digital injury and it would probably cause them to not care about the simulation. (EDIT: Injuries will now be turned on due to thread demand.)

I will be doing one week of games at a time and will post them once every other day unless something comes up and I miss a day. They'll all follow the format of the next post, unless there's a huge demand for an additional section or feature. Keep in mind that this is a ton of work already and I'm not going to be able to post every team's stats every week, but I'll try to accommodate you if you ask how a certain player or lineup is doing.

Each post will contain:
- That week's scores, separated by day
- Players of the Week (decided by the game)
- Rookie watch (the game decides what 5 rookies are playing the best and has a list of their stats)
- Standings
- Power rankings (decided by the game)
- Injury report
- All-star voting (once the results start coming in, takes a while)

Rosters and Changes

Lineups - I referred to the spreadsheet and/or your team pimping posts to set the starting lineups/sixth man situation, but those aren't set in stone. If your team is struggling or you just want to switch things up, let me know your changes and I'll do them

Trades - As per voting in the BYOGM thread, trades will not be allowed.

Free Agents - There are players in the FA pool that never went up for draft, but I'm not gonna post them and nobody's going to be allowed to sign them. Tough luck.

Coaches - The game has coaches and coach grades, but there aren't enough replacement/fake coaches to replace every coach with a neutral/bad one, plus they all vary wildly in attributes as well. What I did was assign a middling fake coach to teams that have noticeably above average coaches (Spurs, Celtics, Mavericks, etc.) There's really no other way I can even the playing field, so it'll have to do.

Endgame

Once the regular season ends, we'll do a prediction poll for MVP, Rookie of the Year, Sixth Man of the Year etc and then match them up to the game's awards because polls are fun to do. The winner of the championship will get a nice avatar designed by me so you can show off to all of your friends

Index

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8
Week 9
Week 10

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

OPENING WEEK of the NBA SEASON! It's a short week, only five days of games. Get ready to have so much fun

Day One

Knicks 97 - Cavs 87
Jazz 111 - Blazers 101
Spurs 107 - Warriors 104

Day Two

Mavs 89 - Pacers 93
Heat 105 - Magic 121
Nets 97 - Celtics 130
Pistons 92 - Raptors 88
Timberwolves 85 - Grizzlies 114
Hornets 120 - Bucks 106
Nuggets 107 - Pelicans 95
Thunder 83 - Sixers 113
Kings 96 - Suns 111
Rockets 95 - Lakers 116

Day Three

Wizards 114 - Hawks 87
Celtics 118 - Bulls 100
Clippers 93 - Blazers 89
Spurs 94 - Kings 103

Day Four

Cavs 69 - Raptors 105
Pacers 95 - Nets 111
Magic 111 - Pistons 120
Hornets 89 - Heat 102
Suns 107 - Thunder 118
Rockets 110 - Mavs 88
Lakers 117 - Jazz 101
Warriors 118 - Pelicans 120

Day Five

Hawks 89 - Sixers 97
Celtics 114 - Hornets 106
Magic 113 - Cavs 99
Grizzlies 133 - Knicks 98
Pacers 85 - Bulls 109
Nets 95 - Bucks 115
Pelicans 98 - Spurs 118
Blazers 106 - Nuggets 84
Timberwolves 102 - Kings 118

I think that's it! Surely my Celtics are unbeatable and they will win every single game. Clear Lakers and Celtics bias. Also, the game apparently does not think very much about the whole "surround Lebron with scrubs" strategy, but maybe that will change. Let me know if I missed anything huge and good luck to your team!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this game already clearly knows more than the rest of you fuckers about basketball

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh huh 7th on the power rankings yet could not make the playoffs by sas vote hmm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

this game already clearly knows more than the rest of you fuckers about basketball

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'll have the next week up tomorrow, i've already got the games simulated. This is going to be a weird season yall

I'm also very happy that 30 year old alcoholic reefer smoker Milos Teodosic is being counted as a rookie

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Aww, injuries rule. Reward basketball robots

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Aww, injuries rule. Reward basketball robots

If that's a common sentiment I can turn them on, didn't know whether people would want their seasons to end with a virtual appendectomy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think injuries should matter inasmuch as I think everyone bid with that in mind.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DeimosRising posted:

I think injuries should matter inasmuch as I think everyone bid with that in mind.

I agree with this. Joel Embiid is worth a lot more if you know he's good for all 82 as opposed to the 17.4 games he will actually play before a new part of his body explodes

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'm all for turning on injuries for maximum chaos, honestly

They'll be on for the rest of the season and I'll add an injuries section to each post

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The problem with injuries is that we would be reliant on the AI to reset lineups, unless we want to make Cool Buff Man manually fix them.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

The problem with injuries is that we would be reliant on the AI to reset lineups, unless we want to make Cool Buff Man manually fix them.

I'll fix them, it's no big deal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

I agree with this. Joel Embiid is worth a lot more if you know he's good for all 82 as opposed to the 17.4 games he will actually play before a new part of his body explodes

True of a ton of guys, especially older ones. There are 10 year vets who have NEVER played 80 games and that's very reflected in their stats and reputations

He's the best example though. Davis KAT and Jokic went for 150+ and he went for 82 in part because lots of posters consider him unlikely to ever play a real season

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'll fix them, it's no big deal

You are a saint!!!!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

You are a saint!!!!

:) It's not a huge deal compared to what it took to set the lineups and do the draft in the first place

DeimosRising posted:

True of a ton of guys, especially older ones. There are 10 year vets who have NEVER played 80 games and that's very reflected in their stats and reputations

I'll resim week 2 onwards with injuries, but I'm not redoing week 1 cuz I already took all the screenshots. Injury prone teams consider yourself lucky that you didn't die in the first week (myself included)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Injuries are stupid

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

whoever is running the bulls has greatly disappointed by not signing kirk hinrich, nate robinson, and andres nocioni

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

whoever is running the bulls has greatly disappointed by not signing kirk hinrich, nate robinson, and andres nocioni

you should really look at the first day of bidding and witness what Drunk Canuck managed to pull off. it's something that i think you'd appreciate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If your sim thinks Simmons is good I like my chances

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the sim will prove my bucks team to be a thoroughly mediocre playoff team.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

If your sim thinks Simmons is good I like my chances

19.5 pts / 8 rb / 7.5 assists over the first two games, nice debut

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

quote:

Day Four

Cavs 69 - Raptors 105

How does a team with Lebron James manage to only score 69 points in a game?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You don't have to guard two members on his starting lineup

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

19.5 pts / 8 rb / 7.5 assists over the first two games, nice debut

Jesus. The enthusiasm for young dudes right now is unreal, I think it's great for the sport but in a few years some of this is going to look ridiculous

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also if you've never played 2k weird games happen all the time

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

You don't have to guard two members on his starting lineup

He should definitely be starting Evans and should have traded one of MKG and Covington

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also if you've never played 2k weird games happen all the time

Also in real life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cbm could I see a box score for one of the sixers games tyia

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
A bad first game but a strong bounce back game

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mountain Dew Code Bread posted:

How does a team with Lebron James manage to only score 69 points in a game?

Bad things happen to that team when Lebron has a bad game

euphronius posted:

Cbm could I see a box score for one of the sixers games tyia

Sure, i'll edit it into this space once I take a screenshot

Tony Parker with a very weird game

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 28, 2017

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
I'm totally into this reality where my team is number 1

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

you should really look at the first day of bidding and witness what Drunk Canuck managed to pull off. it's something that i think you'd appreciate

genuinely enjoyed that, thanks and thank you drunk canuck for making me enjoy the results of an insanely nerdy basketball fantasy game that i'm not even part of, living the dream

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Tony Parker with a very weird game

Fire the coach
Not nearly enough 3s. Only 23????
Parker should not be starting
Gordon is the "point guard "

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Fire the coach
Not nearly enough 3s
Parker should not be starting
Gordon is the "point guard "

He's not starting, it's sorted by points by default, no worries. Gordon's your pg but your coach really likes putting Parker in

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's not starting, it's sorted by points by default, no worries. Gordon's your pg but your coach really likes putting Parker in

Ok

We will roll with it lol

Tyvm

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can I get a Spurs box score too plz CBM
I'm curious to see how the Russ Experience is treating his teammates

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Can I get a Spurs box score too plz CBM
I'm curious to see how the Russ Experience is treating his teammates

Yeah but they're really annoying to screenshot cuz i have to keep scrolling so future ones are gonna be the top 5 or 10 scorers on requested box scores

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Would it be possible to have a basketball reference type database for this simulated season

Probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

Would it be possible to have a basketball reference type database for this simulated season

Probably not

That's asking way too much

• Locked thread