Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

as far as grappling goes i only have a couple months of experience but on having a heavy training load my personal stance is that if overtraining is a real concern of yours then your energy is better spent wisely, particularly if you live a life that involves having a manual labour job or other sports you want to train and compete in at the same time. so hulk out at the gym instead .. if you do your conditioning in a controlled environment separate from your grappling classes then you can concentrate wholly on technique and craft in sparring, you can also arrange your schedule so that you know roughly how tired youre going to be feeling based on what types of training youre focused more on doing at a given time and you can give yourself days off or whatever you need accordingly. its best to train while thinking ahead ... as the saying goes, pick your battles

This ties into dividing trainin into drilling, drilling vs a resisting opponent, light sparring, and competition prep. Theres a reason a lot of high level muscle idiots are able to beat more experienced/more technically sound opponents even at the highest levels of the sport (especially in no gi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

JaySB posted:

Happens from day 1 at many academies

Sounds like bad academies and not something to base a training philosophy on.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Opal posted:

Sounds like bad academies and not something to base a training philosophy on.

Yeah but not really.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Maybe I should've been more clear. I haven't recommended someone on their first day pre-fatigue themselves. It was more guy's who have been training for a few months who in their mind know they shouldn't hulk out but can't yet actively overcome the instinct to rely on strength.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Maybe I should've been more clear. I haven't recommended someone on their first day pre-fatigue themselves. It was more guy's who have been training for a few months who in their mind know they shouldn't hulk out but can't yet actively overcome the instinct to rely on strength.

Agreed

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
Hey guys I don't know poo poo about leglocks. Aside from asking my coach, which I am doing to the point of badgering, are there any good resources/instructionals for leglocks 101?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Miracle posted:

Hey guys I don't know poo poo about leglocks. Aside from asking my coach, which I am doing to the point of badgering, are there any good resources/instructionals for leglocks 101?

I'm phone posting so I can't dig up a link, but the first thing is to learn the position names and flows. There are some very good vids.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dr. Miracle posted:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/leglockseminar

my coach is a very good leglock man, give him your money

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

Ryan Hall anything, Josh Hayden's 80/20 system is good, Firas Zahabi has some good videos as well. A lot of it free on Youtube

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This isn't strictly relevant to the conversation but I've been working my way through Oli Geddes' "Footlock Mastery" and it's really good. It's all about straight ankle locks and it's all IBJJF legal. I don't compete in IBJJF tournaments because they're garbage but if you ever wanted to clean up your straight ankle lock, it's gud.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Overkill for a brand new person but Stephan kesting and Rob biernacki just released an excessively comprehensive ten part modern leglocking instructional. Seems pretty dope so far.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pretty good break down of the end of the Roger vs Buchecha match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF8wHF6ciK8

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I know this is an older technique but I've been finding good success with it when guys are adamantly defending the kimura or arm bar from mount:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLjB3BJ9O5w

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

JaySB posted:

You still got it Roger!!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I did my first jiu jitsu class yesterday and everyone agreed that I was good at surviving. :) Don't know how to tie my belt though.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

I thought this was interesting too: https://www.instagram.com/p/BW7pGhWlqjW/

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

vaginal facsimile posted:

I did my first jiu jitsu class yesterday and everyone agreed that I was good at surviving. :) Don't know how to tie my belt though.

Congrats my dude. Where are you training?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Welcome to the getting your rear end kicked club :)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats. And here is your first instructional video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-shq5oDSCs4

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

good poo poo

JaySB posted:

Congrats. And here is your first instructional video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-shq5oDSCs4

i prefer this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMV05LiuLaw it's a tenth as long and as far as i know it will never come undone. i've been a disheveled mess that was choked with his own entire gi and still had my belt tied neatly around my torso.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i've been a disheveled mess that was choked with his own entire gi and still had my belt tied neatly around my torso.

Having your belt fall off so your opponent no longer can have a belt grip is super secret tech in rolling. :ssh:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

Having your belt fall off so your opponent no longer can have a belt grip is super secret tech in rolling. :ssh:

Also, easier access to your own lapels to choke your partner with.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

KildarX posted:

....... well i'll be damned.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I spent like half an hour practicing tying my belt at home before going to the gym for the first time so I wouldn't look silly on the mat, haha.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

david carmichael posted:

This ties into dividing trainin into drilling, drilling vs a resisting opponent, light sparring, and competition prep. Theres a reason a lot of high level muscle idiots are able to beat more experienced/more technically sound opponents even at the highest levels of the sport (especially in no gi)

Exhibit A. The Schaub Shutdown.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nifft posted:

Exhibit A. The Schaub Shutdown.

lol

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I didn't see the breakdown JaySB posted but at risk or reposting I like Shawn Williams breakdown:

http://www.flograppling.com/video/1236339-breakdown-of-how-roger-gracie-beat-buchecha-on-the-feet-and-on-the-ground

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

I didn't see the breakdown JaySB posted but at risk or reposting I like Shawn Williams breakdown:

http://www.flograppling.com/video/1236339-breakdown-of-how-roger-gracie-beat-buchecha-on-the-feet-and-on-the-ground

Your posts are better than mine so. Repost away.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Had another good night. Two years to get this one.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

Congratulations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Huh for some reason I thought my club was the only one that did that stupid poo poo. Congratulations on the promotion though. Welcome to the "give sage advice to white belts" club

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats CommonShore!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

CommonShore posted:

Awesome. Congrats! Now back to the grind.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Haha glad we're not the only ones that do this dumb poo poo. Congrats!!!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 25, 2019

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Congratulations!! Hope to join you sometime in the next few months. Our club does not do belt whippings (rather a 60 min shark tank...) I think I would prefer the belts.

Why do people hate belt whipping? I get that it is a sort dumb old tradition but play fighting in Asian pajamas is as well and we all like that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pyjama fighting has a purpose

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

Why do people hate belt whipping? I get that it is a sort dumb old tradition but play fighting in Asian pajamas is as well and we all like that.

My only problem with it is the rear end in a top hat that swings high and makes me worried about losing an eye. Most people object on general principle due to it being dumb and brutish, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not a fan of the belt whipping either, but as one of the black belts put it, "it hurt less than earning it." We also couldn't do any kind of shark tank as a fourteen belts (4 purple, 10 blue) were awarded.

Thanks, all!