Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You're playing Zelda wrong if you didn't switch jump to b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DaveKap posted:

It will always be embarrassing to all video game consoles that do not have system-level per-application button remapping. It will always be embarrassing to all video games that do not have game-level per-user button remapping.

What I'm trying to say is, most developers never took a Human Computer Interaction 101 class in college and thus most of them will never actually understand how to create proper control remapping for their games. Welcome to every time I have to complain in a forum about a great game not letting me change from WASD to ESDF.

what kind of turbo:spergin: uses ESDF lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Improbable Lobster posted:

Someone who desperately wants to remap every key in games one to the right?

Wonder if they'd meltdown if you told them they could achieve the same effect by just moving their keyboard 2cm to the left

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

someone who never had many options as a child and needs as many as possible right next to their reach so they can have all the options and all the power

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can change the jump button in Zelda to be the same as it is in Splatoon

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Back when I PC gamed I always remapped movement to ESDF. I had gotten used to it since it was the default with Tribes 2, which was basically my first PC game. It opens up more keys that are accessible from your pinky, and you can easily find your place without looking because most keyboards put a little bump on the F and J keys. When you invest in your controls, you invest in yourself

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think it's that weird, maybe they like to have their pinky pressing a small key instead of a big key.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
EDSF is normal compared to me, who uses a mouse in their left hand and remaps everything to arrow keys and surrounding keys.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lots of MMO players use ESDF to maximize the number of easily-reachable hotkeys

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

# of reachable keys aside (it's more) the real reason is because I'm often typing and I use the home row and never look at the keyboard when I type. Why should I move my hand left by one when I can just keep it in the same place? I've already memorized all the keys my left hand can hit, why re-memorize just to fit some old-school idiot's idea that WASD was an OK thing to do?

That said, it's still better than buying one of those weird usb mini-board of keys that do nothing.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 28, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lots of MMO players use ESDF to maximize the number of easily-reachable hotkeys

Like I said, turbo:spergin:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

EDSF is normal compared to me, who uses a mouse in their left hand and remaps everything to arrow keys and surrounding keys.

IJKL :angel:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I used to use ESDF in the Q3A/UT days and I couldn't tell you why but it made me better than my friends thus

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
loving Amazon restock neons

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SeANMcBAY posted:

You're playing Zelda wrong if you didn't switch jump to b.

Ever since someone said that X makes sense since it's where the air is and B is where Link's legs are I haven't gotten confused.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was me. I said that

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That was me. I said that

Thank you!

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Apologies if this has been linked before but yeahhh I just ordered one of these https://www.massdrop.com/buy/8bitdo-nes30-arcade-joystick-exclusive-preorder

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Strawberry Panda posted:

Ever since someone said that X makes sense since it's where the air is and B is where Link's legs are I haven't gotten confused.

You jump by pushing with your legs so it should be b

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

DaveKap posted:

It will always be embarrassing to all video game consoles that do not have system-level per-application button remapping. It will always be embarrassing to all video games that do not have game-level per-user button remapping.

What I'm trying to say is, most developers never took a Human Computer Interaction 101 class in college and thus most of them will never actually understand how to create proper control remapping for their games. Welcome to every time I have to complain in a forum about a great game not letting me change from WASD to ESDF.
You sound like a total loser, no offense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Real hurthling! posted:

Okay but legs go up to the sky when you jump.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

You sound like a total loser, no offense.

Nah they're right as it is the easiest drat thing to program in, a cs 101 student can figure it out.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Would anyone like to come to my apartment to play Overcooked with me

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Serious question has there ever been a Nintendo developed game where you could actually set the controls yourself, not just swap between two different versions?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super Metroid

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Splatoon teaches kids to play with inverse y ensuring i look less weird in the future as flight sim kids die out

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

i am a clueless Nintendo user and cannot get the discord bot thing to work. I've put the code into every field in Additional Info on my profile but it never works :(. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

You run with your legs on the ground so run is B.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
All games should have control remapping just like all games have subtitles, it's an accessibility feature and should be an industry standard.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Celebrate the life-long plasticity of your brain by remapping in your mind.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think b is better for jump in Zelda because I felt like I had to do some awkward finger gymnastics when I was jumping around in combat while locked on with x. Felt much better with b.

I'm glad they at least gave the option.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Edit: wrong thread!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I actually have friends at my house who like videogames. This hasn't happened in like 6 years. We've been playing Mario Kart, but are there any other good 4 player experiences? Any of those indie titles any good for that?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I actually have friends at my house who like videogames. This hasn't happened in like 6 years. We've been playing Mario Kart, but are there any other good 4 player experiences? Any of those indie titles any good for that?

Overcooked I hear is really good with 4 people. I think Minecraft Switch also has 4 player splitscreen if you guys are into that.

Pacman Vs. is coming out tomorrow with Namco Museum and is some of the best local multiplayer ever but you need two Switches to fully enjoy it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gaspy Conana posted:

Overcooked, Snipperclips, Ultra Hyperball (out today, no idea what it's like), Death Squared, De Mambo, Astro Duel Deluxe, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Jackbox Party Pack, 1-2 Switch (lol), Super Bomberman R, Fast RMX.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so according to Capcom Ultra Street Fighter 2 was "a smash hit".

Bizarre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At that price they probably broke even after five people bought it

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

TFRazorsaw posted:

Bizarre.

Smash isn't on the Switch though!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

At that price they probably broke even after five people bought it

the thread I saw theorized it was somewhere in the range of 450,000.

which is a fair amount for something like this.

Super weeeeeeeird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

Bizarre.

Megamany Legacy and Disney Afternoon collection WHEN

• Locked thread