Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Montalvo posted:

I followed that very same guide and nothing was working last night, but seems to be working fine now. Weird!

Yeah, I was having a lot of app crashes at first, but things seem to have smoothed out. It's almost like we are installing apps Amazon didn't want us to install...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

VPN Hosts (No Root) is currently free, and apparently, you can use it to block ads system-wide.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My new Amazon Echo comes with support for Todoist and Any.do out of the box. Are there any significant differences between the two wrt to functionality/capability?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

My new Amazon Echo comes with support for Todoist and Any.do out of the box. Are there any significant differences between the two wrt to functionality/capability?

I think Todoist is a significantly better task manager than Any.do. Projects, natural language input, I vastly prefer it aesthetically (Any.do looks like a Holo app)... both free to try I believe, so you can just give them both a whirl, but Todoist is a clear winner for me.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

XIII posted:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603

I just got a Fire HD 8 yesterday and installed the Play Store using the apks listed here. Things were a little janky at first, but I think it was just Play Services trying to get all setup in the background.

I also got a Fire 8 on Prime Day and followed that same guide. Worked great and no issues have cropped up.

I think I saw some posts recently in that thread which said you need to restart after setting it to allow apps from unknown sources, but before installing the APKs. Seems like some people who didn't do that had issues, but those who restarted at that point worked fine.

Not sure that helps you (Montalvo) much now, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not sure why or how mine magically began working, but I'm pretty happy with it now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Is it just me, or is Nova Launcher lovely now? It could also be something that I'm doing, but I find myself having to disable the app, restart the phone, and then restart the app manually every once in a while, and I didn't have to do that at all for the first 1 1/2 months that I owned this phone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Working great for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have never had a single problem with Nova in the year or two I've been using it. Well, it may have crashed and restarted itself one time a while ago, I can't remember for sure.

But I don't really do much with the app. I don't run any gestures or anything, just a bunch of icons on the screen and hiding apps in the drawer and the dock.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I pretty much only use it to hide the Google toolbar from my dashboard and put a weather widget up there. Maybe my phone is overwhelmed in some other way. I did recently install a bunch of random crap from some "top 100 free Android apps" list because I'm still a newb and I want to see what all the app hype is about.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is it just me, or is Nova Launcher lovely now? It could also be something that I'm doing, but I find myself having to disable the app, restart the phone, and then restart the app manually every once in a while, and I didn't have to do that at all for the first 1 1/2 months that I owned this phone.

I'm confused by what you mean. Are you setting the default launcher to Google launcher or whatever and then rebooting, then setting the launcher app to nova again? That's definitely not normal or needed behavior, what is making you do it? Is nova force closing or redrawing when you go to the home screen or what

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have the beta it running on all 3 of my phones right now and no problems at all in years. What phone do you have?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Blue Train posted:

I'm confused by what you mean. Are you setting the default launcher to Google launcher or whatever and then rebooting, then setting the launcher app to nova again? That's definitely not normal or needed behavior, what is making you do it? Is nova force closing or redrawing when you go to the home screen or what

It'll be like "Nova Launcher is not responding" so I close the app, turn off my phone, and turn it back on.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have the beta it running on all 3 of my phones right now and no problems at all in years. What phone do you have?

Moto G5. I wish I could pinpoint a specific thing that causes this weirdness to occur.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

It'll be like "Nova Launcher is not responding" so I close the app, turn off my phone, and turn it back on.

Are you using any widgets? If so try removing those and see if it keeps happening

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Moto G5. I wish I could pinpoint a specific thing that causes this weirdness to occur.

Under Nova Settings, Advanced, do you have Aggressive Desktop enabled?

e: Oh I misunderstood, it's not a redraw/reload issue, it actually stops responding. Wtf?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

That is odd, because I have the same phone and I've not had anything like this going on.

You said earlier that you installed a lot of apps as part of some kind of bundle? My guess is something is conflicting with the launcher somehow, though damned if I know what it could be. Your best bet is to probably go the tedious route of uninstalling every app but the essential stuff (or maybe just factory resetting though that might be a tad extreme) and then reinstall things a few at a time and see if you notice problems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never had a problem with Nova in all the years I've used it (and that's been all of the years it's existed). Some app conflict is causing the issue but good luck figuring it out.

Do you have any really bizarre Nova setting enabled? I'd be hard-pressed to guess what it could be, Nova is probably the stablest third party app I've ever used.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

docbeard posted:

That is odd, because I have the same phone and I've not had anything like this going on.

You said earlier that you installed a lot of apps as part of some kind of bundle? My guess is something is conflicting with the launcher somehow, though damned if I know what it could be. Your best bet is to probably go the tedious route of uninstalling every app but the essential stuff (or maybe just factory resetting though that might be a tad extreme) and then reinstall things a few at a time and see if you notice problems.

I didn't install them as a bundle, I installed them one by one after reading a list of top 100 free apps (I didn't install all 100, but I probably installed like...30 or so).

For what it's worth, I haven't had this problem since I posted about it, which is really annoying. Sometimes I'll start to notice that Chrome or Twitter will get sluggish, but it doesn't bring everything to a screeching halt like it was doing before. Problem solved?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'll pile on and say no Nova issues across 3 phones (multiple manufacturers) and a couple years. And I gently caress with it constantly.

E: Oh, correction: I've had one unexplained crash that started right back up, and one weird failure when an icon pack updated - again, started right up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

When you archive a thread in Android Google Play Store Nexus Pixel Messages, all it does is hide the texts, right? Doesn't do anything to prevent you from getting and seeing new ones?

People from work now have my number and I really don't need to accidentally send them something stupid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

When you archive a thread in Android Google Play Store Nexus Pixel Messages, all it does is hide the texts, right? Doesn't do anything to prevent you from getting and seeing new ones?

Correct, if you want to actually prevent getting new message from them, the app has a "block" function.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nope, don't wanna block. I just send messages by selecting existing threads and I don't need to, say, ask HR if I should get the Frozen book or the Cinderella book when I mean to ask my sister.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Get both books though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Get both books though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just want to make sure, Google voice within the US doesn't have a cost, just uses my phone's (unlimited) minutes? I'm thinking of giving a Google Voice number as my number for work.

NVM, found the answer.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 20, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I used GV as my work number for years. Actually a really good use case for it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hey everybody, it turns out that my problem is Chrome. I stopped using Chrome and switched to Firefox, and I haven't had any issues with Nova Launcher since. :ms:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uhhh I've always used Chrome or Chrome Beta with Nova on all my devices, it's not Chrome. It's something you were doing from the sounds of it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhhh I've always used Chrome or Chrome Beta with Nova on all my devices, it's not Chrome. It's something you were doing from the sounds of it.

I haven't done anything particularly unusual with Chrome. Browsing Facebook, watching the occasional video, reading the occasional article -- maybe the ads were slowing it down, I don't know. Either way Firefox is working fine so I'm not too worried.

edit: for what it's worth I noticed the problem flaring up again while I was trying to type a Facebook status, which led me to believe that the keyboard app might be the problem, but I never experienced the issue when I was texting or anything and I never had it when I was posting either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

I haven't done anything particularly unusual with Chrome. Browsing Facebook, watching the occasional video, reading the occasional article -- maybe the ads were slowing it down, I don't know. Either way Firefox is working fine so I'm not too worried.

edit: for what it's worth I noticed the problem flaring up again while I was trying to type a Facebook status, which led me to believe that the keyboard app might be the problem, but I never experienced the issue when I was texting or anything and I never had it when I was posting either.

It almost sounds like something's kicking Nova out of memory but that shouldn't be happening on a 4-gig G5+.

This may be my Skyrim modding battle scars talking, but I do think your best bet is to uninstall everything and reinstall essential (and then nonessential) stuff a few pieces at a time and see if/when it starts happening.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there any way to have the Google Maps Timeline be more accurate? Like, pinging my location more often, or at least snapping the routes to the roads automatically instead of just straight lines from destination to destination?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Anecdotal, but Chrome on Android has never run well for me. I just use the default Samsung internet app which has the added bonus of being able to block ads.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there any way to have the Google Maps Timeline be more accurate? Like, pinging my location more often, or at least snapping the routes to the roads automatically instead of just straight lines from destination to destination?

Open up Google Maps or another thing that will continuously use GPS during times you want your route or location to be tracked actively. You'll also want to go to https://www.google.com/maps/timeline and manually edit things, which includes letting you have driving segments snapped to the road segments you want.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Nova would actually get kicked out of RAM quite a bit for me. I'm using it again and it's fine for the meantime, but before after I used it for a couple months it would start to redraw constantly and deleting data / cache wouldn't fix it. This has been happening on my S3, Droid Turbo, and now my Moto Z Play.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

docbeard posted:

It almost sounds like something's kicking Nova out of memory but that shouldn't be happening on a 4-gig G5+.

This may be my Skyrim modding battle scars talking, but I do think your best bet is to uninstall everything and reinstall essential (and then nonessential) stuff a few pieces at a time and see if/when it starts happening.

The problem has gone completely away now that I've stopped using Chrome, so this seems unnecessary. It's not like I absolutely need to use Chrome over any other browser.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

YeahTubaMike posted:

The problem has gone completely away now that I've stopped using Chrome, so this seems unnecessary. It's not like I absolutely need to use Chrome over any other browser.

If you want to know what's causing it, you need to look at the device logs somehow, and look at any error messages for the launcher app, and see if there's any useful info. Or better, try and work with the devs to troubleshoot it!

Anything else and you're basically relying on luck and superstition

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Holy crap I just got keyboard input on Assistant.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is a longshot I suspect, but is there any way to keep wifi from connecting without a minimum signal strength or something (without hand-curating networks several times a day or toggling wifi off every time it happens)? Astonishingly, the 1 bar I get on my home router from across the street some days is not super useful, nor is connecting to the wifi on the bus that's passing the bus I'm actually on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

This is a longshot I suspect, but is there any way to keep wifi from connecting without a minimum signal strength or something (without hand-curating networks several times a day or toggling wifi off every time it happens)? Astonishingly, the 1 bar I get on my home router from across the street some days is not super useful, nor is connecting to the wifi on the bus that's passing the bus I'm actually on.

Enable Developer options (usually Settings > About phone, tap the Build number seven times), scroll down under Networking and enable "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular Handover".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

Enable Developer options (usually Settings > About phone, tap the Build number seven times), scroll down under Networking and enable "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular Handover".

Are there downsides to this?
It seems like so.ething that'd be common to want.