Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
MUSIC!

This song is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7uiNmx9AIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

T Bowl posted:

I don't know... basically the average 20 something is a hipster now. It's the mainstream and I don't think it's in decline yet based on what's currently popular. I do live in a major city though so my view is a bit skewed I am sure coming from growing up in a smaller city in the mid west.

The term hipster is one thing, the actual type of person who would be defined is the norm now.

people started using the term "hipster" in the 1940's to describe a style that became borderline mainstream in urban circles by the late 50's/early 60's. these things go in cycles etc.

even before people were using that word in particular, the whole cycle of youth "subcultures" rebelling against the norms of their society only to become part of the enforcers of said norms themselves has a much longer history. e.g. "Bohemians"

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

nevermind lol

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 27, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

T Bowl posted:

Yeah I guess you're right with that, hippies did explode into the mainstream in their day.. punk stuff had it's day, grunge was huge. Yep.

The question is what comes next for the rock subculture.... it's all kind of jumbled now i'd say?

I think this sort of thing happens once or twice a decade, when everything popular seems a bit played out but it's not clear what the next thing is. I'm rooting for polka revival, led by Steve Albini's accordion band.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
That's only partially a joke btw, Steve Albini loves the loving accordion. AFAICT they don't do much polka though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q1c1iByQz8

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy gently caress this shorts derail has been dumb. Here's some music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4zTZAwKWHc

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yet that's the very problem with this thread anyway. Little discussion and enthusiasm save for one or two poor souls wanking to whatever they were just playing. Just like my Radio Dept post, or my seeing My Morning Jacket post.

Even highly relevant giant albums barely get discussed here. So I'm glad the Arcade Fire chat got a little more going even if it's not pasting your current jams.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

T Bowl posted:

wanking to whatever they were just playing

That's what this thread is for though and more people should post more of their wanking.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The best general threads integrate derails and everyone rolls with them instead of being big angry babies

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's what this thread is for though and more people should post more of their wanking.

No one here has talked about Cigarettes After Sex right? I love that the image of that band is basically what Rhye have been doing but this little gem of the roots and one of their most popular songs gets me with the bad basement band from 2005 vibes in 2012, blown up now in 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0nRJUPLuSI

New ad campaign:

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 27, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed, I like this thread and have found some cool stuff from it. I'd much rather have this than the rap thread.

Like, this is really good and I had never heard of them before.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 27, 2017

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

T Bowl posted:

No one here has talked about Cigarettes After Sex right? I love that the image of that band is basically what Rhye have been doing but this little gem of the roots and one of their most popular songs gets me with the bad basement band from 2005 vibes in 2012, blown up now in 2017:

New ad campaign:

I'm still not convinced Rhye and Cigarettes After Sex just aren't the same person doing some crazy good performance art piece.

Edit: I really love Cigarettes After Sex, I remember finding the bandcamp years and years ago and just swooning. One night, some friends and I had our hands on some rental camera gear and shot a bunch of random poo poo at our local bar. Finagled enough out of the footage to put it to a CAS track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8u9aq36ieI

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 27, 2017

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

T Bowl posted:

New ad campaign:

sure does look like an indie rock band

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Thom and the Heads posted:

sure does look like an indie rock band

The news performance is just hilarious the style though and the total transformation. It's a great idea they would not have gotten anywhere looking like basement band.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Everyone should just rip off Clinic and buy cheap rear end med scrubs and perform in those.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Hello, I cannot stop listening to Vincent by Car Seat Headrest.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Everyone should just rip off Clinic and buy cheap rear end med scrubs and perform in those.

If you're going to steal another band's gimmick, go GWAR

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
fo sho, if you have the budget or a friend who does paper machier, do GWAR

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

HampHamp posted:

Hello, I cannot stop listening to Vincent by Car Seat Headrest.

Dude, Car Seat Headrest has quickly become one of my favorite bands, right up here with AJJ.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I found the Teen Suicide comments about Car Seat Headrest funny because they are a bit true but still Car Seat Headrest is good and obviously is popular for a reason.

Edit if you haven't read it:

https://medium.com/@SamRay/punching-upwards-at-a-particularly-bland-windmill-447f9abd4a9f

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 27, 2017

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't really like either band that much (I somehow wound up seeing Teen Suicide live a year or two ago and enjoyed it but, like, eh) but "Perfect if you have trypophobia, but like, for melody" is one of the sickest burns I've ever read

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

T Bowl posted:

I found the Teen Suicide comments about Car Seat Headrest funny because they are a bit true but still Car Seat Headrest is good and obviously is popular for a reason.

https://medium.com/@SamRay/punching-upwards-at-a-particularly-bland-windmill-447f9abd4a9f

a few funny burns, my god though that's the biggest pile of sour grapes

sout
Apr 24, 2014

T Bowl posted:

lol
I like 'em well enough, but I've not been looking for new music too much for a while and it was one of the last bands I looked into, so it's been in my rotation for a while.
Been spending a lot more time recently thinking about shorts if I'm honest.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

abraham linksys posted:

indoor concerts in brooklyn are hell in the summer. i remember there was a loving Beach House show at Baby's All Right a year or two ago that had 6 or 7 people pass out from the heat since the A/C was dying. again, at a loving Beach House show

I think I was at this same show - I've never been hotter indoors in my entire life. Ironically, the lead singer was wearing a huge fur coat, right?

If you look at Baby's on Yelp, they get a lot of 1 star reviews from people with similar stories: no AC, unbearable heat.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Considering Apple Music paid 500k for two weeks exclusivity on Chance The Rapper's Colouring Book mixtape I wonder how much they paid for this Arcade Fire show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like how Pitchfork posts "Listen to Arcade Fire's new album now!" and then a little while later gives it a 5.6/10 :lol:

I'm listening to it now out of boredom. This will probably be the one and only time I listen to this album. I thought all the singles sucked and apparently that was almost half the goddamn album.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
wow this Arcade Fire album is mess. "Put Your Money On Me" is the only worthwhile track here.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I uh

fell asleep on my first listen right around the repeat of Infinite Content

I'll try again, I liked most of the singles ok

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do the recurring mentions of "purity" on The Suburbs creep anyone else out?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Polo-Rican posted:

I think I was at this same show - I've never been hotter indoors in my entire life. Ironically, the lead singer was wearing a huge fur coat, right?

If you look at Baby's on Yelp, they get a lot of 1 star reviews from people with similar stories: no AC, unbearable heat.

Had this happen at St. Lucia's album release show there, which was in January, and I forgot to check my jacket. Even just holding it added heat to that room.

That said I will always go to BAR if a band I know and like is playing there simply because the venue's so intimate and I love tight-knit shows

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"Chemistry" is one of the dumber songs I've heard in a long time; nice work AF

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Arcade Fire with another poo poo album. I guess they used up all of their musical talent on The Suburbs.

Like, I don't think you could even make a single good album out of the last two. An okay disco EP maybe.

edit: listening to Funeral to forget that. What the gently caress happened to this band? :(

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 28, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

edit: listening to Funeral to forget that. What the gently caress happened to this band? :(

Definitely in the minority but I think this album is fun even if it's not a classic to be remembered. It's not Funeral and nothing ever will be. Way more enjoyable than Reflektor.

e: also surprised at the hate for Chemistry. Good God drat is the track that should have been scrapped.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't care about different directions, I loved the Suburbs even though it's quite different than Funeral, but I just feel like the last two are just bad. Glad someone enjoys this one though!

I hope that I like their next album, because otherwise I'll have to stop seeing them live. I don't want this to be me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jDWciH1Mw

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 28, 2017

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
unfortunately didn't like the new AF album after two listens. The singles are decidedly better than most of the rest of the tracks, and I didn't care for signs of life or creature comfort at all. Chemistry should have been scrapped altogether. i liked Good God drat for the groove, the rest of the back half is pretty but formless

Everything Now the song is still worth it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nail Rat posted:

RIP Arcade Fire :smith:

Also Regine can be a loving amazing singer but you’d never know that from her parts on this album. It does not play to her strengths in the least.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I liked the singles for the most part, thought I would like this album if the other tracks were as good or better, but man, they're quite a bit worse.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah not a big fan of the album. Liked a few of the singles so it's not all lost, but it really feels like this was more of a first pass... "ideas" for songs that needed more development. Reminds me of the Salome Tapes from U2 in the early 90s (essentially stolen/found in the trash very early sessions of Achtung Baby).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I got lucky enough to get tickets to see AF at the Metro next Saturday, I'll make an effort to enjoy the Everything Now tracks live at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I got lucky enough to get tickets to see AF at the Metro next Saturday, I'll make an effort to enjoy the Everything Now tracks live at least.

Tried and no luck. Going for literally $1500 on stubhub lol. Reminds me of LCD playing two shows there a bit ago. Enjoy, such a small/great venue.