Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I bow before your valour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Guys guys guys. This investment in Frontier Developments is great news for Star Citizen. If Braben's fail company with their mile wide inch deep cosmetic DLC-fest space 'simulator' can attract this sort of money, then CIG must be on the verge of receiving at least 10 times the amount that Failtier Dumbvelopments are getting to churn out more DLC ship kits. Furthermore

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Hubless wheel drives are a real thing. The real weakness isn't getting the power down, it's that without central support the wheel just collapses when you knock it hard. It's kind of the worst possible idea for an offroader.

This would be fine if CIG could decide that SC is pulpy space nonsense instead of a serious space opera. But they have no idea what they want the game to be.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/890285613764706304

quote:

"Frontier Expo is all about Frontier’s incredible community," says Frontier CEO David Braben. "Our journey into the world of self-publishing wouldn’t have been possible without the terrific communities that have assembled around Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster. We’ve held community events before but we’ve never had the opportunity to celebrate our current games with the players and look to the studio’s future all at one event. We can’t wait to meet everyone this October."

Frontier Expo 2017 takes place October 7 at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London. More information can be found via the expo's official site.

:gary: at David Braben trolling Citizen Con date (Normally held the weekend nearest the 10th of October but for some reason CIG is holding Citizen Con on 27th of October this year) American Satan is an upcoming American thriller film written by Ash Avildsen and Matty Beckerman. It is set to be released in theaters on Friday the 13th of October 2017.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ShineDog posted:

Hubless wheel drives are a real thing. The real weakness isn't getting the power down, it's that without central support the wheel just collapses when you knock it hard. It's kind of the worst possible idea for an offroader.

This would be fine if CIG could decide that SC is pulpy space nonsense instead of a serious space opera. But they have no idea what they want the game to be.

well they even don't have an idea if its a game or not. what they know is if they produce quality jpegs of ships with awesome names spergs will buy it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MedicineHut posted:

Some amongst the wisest of goons may have already noticed that some key links related to the "when did SC start its development" discussion have disappeared. Examples:

- Mittani interview in 2012 where CR uttered his famous "We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale."
link: https://www.themittani.com/features/exclusive-interview-star-citizens-chris-roberts
Gone.

I am sure CIG or loving David Swofford are totally not involved in those disappearances.

I'm pretty sure that themittani.com as a whole is gone now as they moved over to imperium.news a while ago and must have let the old site die. Doesn't look like they ported the old articles over either.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol if that November 17th MVP date is actually real

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

TheAgent posted:

lol if that November 17th MVP date is actually real

:eyepop:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The day Chris delivers Mostly Violet Poo will go down in history.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

starkebn posted:

Well, you see, due to subsumption living schedules he needs a breakfast jacket, brunch jacket, lunch jacket, dinner jacket and supper jacket. Now they have three done, so there's two to go and then the other 9 million NPCs will be ready soon after that due to the jacket pipelines being locked in.

If an NPC turns up to a party in the wrong clothes, the NPC bouncer at the door will have an in-depth mo-cap-based discussion with them on the required dress code.

Said NPC will then have to turn around and trudge home to change. Either that, or go from shop to shop trying to find the right look.

All thanks to the miracle of Subsumption!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

The day Chris delivers Mostly Violet Poo will go down in history.

Why should Chris deliver Line of Defense? :downsrim:

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 28, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

EminusSleepus posted:

Meanwhile in Elite Dangerous Universe

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-28-chinese-game-giant-tencent-buys-9-percent-of-elite-dangerous-dev-frontier

looks like legit companies knows how to spot a legit company

tencent is I guess a legit company but their business practices are pretty disgusting.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Gold.

This needs to be recut with full-on horror movie sound effects and musical score.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

tencent is I guess a legit company but their business practices are pretty disgusting.

Do tell.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

True but 9% isn't a controlling interest so they're basically just investors.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

Do tell.

If elite adds real money gambling boxes don't be surprised. Tencent is a big whale farmer, tbh they'd be perfect for star citizen.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

If elite adds real money gambling boxes don't be surprised. Tencent is a big whale farmer, tbh they'd be perfect for star citizen.
I used to think gambling boxes and other cash grabs like that were pretty drat low

but then I saw Richard Garriott selling vials of his own blood for $5k

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

I used to think gambling boxes and other cash grabs like that were pretty drat low

That sounds more like ego + desperation than dirty business to me

e: A good example of tencent being disgusting is that new game Fortnite and having all of the loot and most of the progression entirely locked behind gambling boxes. They start out giving you premium currency pretty regularly then they cut off the faucet once you are used to cracking open those sweet, sweet loot boxes. It's like a loving crack dealer.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 28, 2017

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Is this the new Silent Hill? In space?

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

biglads posted:

Guys guys guys. This investment in Frontier Developments is great news for Star Citizen. If Braben's fail company with their mile wide inch deep cosmetic DLC-fest space 'simulator' can attract this sort of money, then CIG must be on the verge of receiving at least 10 times the amount that Failtier Dumbvelopments are getting to churn out more DLC ship kits. Furthermore

What are you talking about? They have already made a partnership far greater then that stupid chump change Tencent company. CIG is partnered with Coots!! They have billions in their holdings!!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

I imagine Citizens would pay $thousands for JPEGs of vials of Chris Roberts' blood. And then there's the goldmine of CIG selling personal effects of the "she's not married, honest" Sandi Gardner to the desperate nerd section of SC fans :wink: :homebrew:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mne nravitsya posted:

What are you talking about? They have already made a partnership far greater then that stupid chump change Tencent company. CIG is partnered with Coots!! They have billions in their holdings!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

That sounds more like ego + desperation than dirty business to me

e: A good example of tencent being disgusting is that new game Fortnite and having all of the loot and most of the progression entirely locked behind gambling boxes. They start out giving you premium currency pretty regularly then they cut off the faucet once you are used to cracking open those sweet, sweet loot boxes. It's like a loving crack dealer.

I get turned off by games when I smell even a hint of P2W-dependent garbo at the onset, which is like 99% of the App Store.

Unfortunately for all of us, the likes of CIG and Candy Crush proved just how obsolete the former $60/copy 9-digit budget AAA game business model is in terms of nickeldiming.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

It's not harassment because he's not listening to us! :reddit:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 28, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
My wife still spends a dollar to unlock the next tier in Candy Crush. She's at like level four thousand and something.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: What can I climb to and then jump off

gently caress, listening to these guys try to differentiate Star Citizen's complete lack of gameplay from other games is actually painful.

SelenicMartian posted:

I wanted a mission, and for my $15k they gave me one.

Extremely underrated post imo

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

anybody want a path of exile beta key for the xbone?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was like "Eric Davis, Eric Davis, I know that wake and bake hairstyle" and of course I do because he was a cinematics guy at blizzard

the loving studio director for the la office is a cinematics dude

because everyone involved in higher up positions are cinematics dudes

it fuckin boggles the fuckin mind

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen: What can I climb to and then jump off

I don't know man. First thing I did when I got flight in WOW-BC was to fly up to one of the floating islands in Nagrand and jump into the lake.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cymelion's a dirty loving liar.

He bought a Khartu-Al for the same reasons everyone else did

-It was rare
-It was a two-seater
-It fulfilled a bullshit role that they all thought would be amazing

Turns out that people bought it, so its no longer rare
They hosed to cockpit and now its not a two-seater
The function it is supposed to accomplish is bullshit and has no place in-game until they actually build a game

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I could not think of any business who's business practices are pretty disgusting in one way or another

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hi, I'm Ben "Lost Half A Cockpit" Lesnick

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cymelion's a dirty loving liar.

He bought a Khartu-Al for the same reasons everyone else did

-It was rare
-It was a two-seater
-It fulfilled a bullshit role that they all thought would be amazing

Turns out that people bought it, so its no longer rare
They hosed to cockpit and now its not a two-seater
The function it is supposed to accomplish is bullshit and has no place in-game until they actually build a game

LOL

- THE BANE OF THE UEE
- Unmatched Maneuverability

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's like a loving crack dealer.

Get used to applied psychology. They literally perfected that poo poo on the mobiles.

If you ever want to test willpower; a) Give up smoking. b) play candy crush and never spend a dime.

The second is mental weightlifting.

10% sounds like them gimmicking though.

On SC, I've kinda been hinting that they should have had a sniff of some of the Chinese wealth that they're trying to offshore, which is puzzling the gently caress out of me. Unless they've already spent it, but that makes their burn rate higher.

See this? This is a perfect example of a tightly spiralled group-think. They're free-associating off each other.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hi, I'm Ben "Lost Half A Cockpit" Lesnick - GET IN MY BELLY!!!

ftfy

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

I don't know man. First thing I did when I got flight in WOW-BC was to fly up to one of the floating islands in Nagrand and jump into the lake.

True, I guess if I think about it I did the same thing. But I think the difference there is that wasn't touted as "emergent gameplay" by morons trying to defend giving Blizzard their entire salary. There's tons of goofy poo poo you can do in WoW to entertain yourself for a minute, but there's also tons of poo poo that the devs put in for you to do. In Star Citizen the only fun is the kind you make yourself.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Any bets on delays for tonight's schedule?

I've got money on release falling behind Gamescom, the backers will bitch and moan and then "this is good for Star Citizen because...(it won't be rushed/less pressure on the team/more can be added)" will rear its head.

In other news i had Hawaiian pizza tonight just to have some variety. Come at me bros :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It was originally supposed to be the ship that utilizes strafe heavily. e.g. It can fly side to side and up and down better than any other craft. Other human craft were to fly like airplanes.

But that role was completely marginalized when CIG decided to do physical modeling of thrusters. Which means every craft can strafe that way because "Surprise" if your thrusters have the power to make your space-plane turn like a space-plane, they have the power to make any other maneuver.