Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

teethgrinder posted:

Clears feel great and are socially acceptable.
Yup!
My first keyboard w/Clears was a CODE TKL that I used at home. I liked it so much that I bought a das keyboard w/Clears to use at work, replacing an older das with Browns. I recently set up a 2nd workstation in my office, and decided to use the das with Browns for it...man, it is TOUGH to go back to that. Clears feel so much better to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
come on now, clears can't be THAT much better than browns

dammit, now I need to buy a board with clears because I love browns

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

With the desktop market shrinking and a lot of brick and mortar PC stores going out of business, I wouldn't expect a weird resurgence of mechanical keyboards places like Best Buy, or even Target. I got into the mechanical keyboard craze back in 2010, where it was impossible to find mechanical keyboards in any store. Asking people about mechanical keyboards got you weird stares.

Nowadays though, I can go into my local Best Buy and have a variety of options to play with (granted its all Razer/Logitech/Corsair). Price points went way down too. My first and only mechanical keyboard was a DAS keyboard ultimate which was like $120. Now I can nab one for $60? I ended up giving away my mechanical to a friend just because I wanted something wireless and easy to move around ( I went from a full tower ATX machine to a mITX gaming machine, so lighter weight and portability become things I focused on.).

I still game and enjoy a fine ~pc gaming battlestation~, but lately my favorite keyboard has been the Logitech K480 which I got for $26.

Keeping on the theme of light and portable, this keyboard is pretty impressive given my usage. It connects to three devices through Bluetooth, and you can switch on the fly with very little delay. Right now its paired with my PC, iPad, and iPhone. Makes texting and using iOS apps infinitely less painful because touchscreen will never be as fast as a physical keyboard. Better yet, I'm able to dock my iPad on there and look at guides when playing controller-games like Dark Souls. I'm stoked with how useful this thing is. In a dream world, it would have mechanical keys. But also, the thought of a wireless Bluetooth mechanical keyboard with a dock, settings dial, and battery operation seems like something that will likely never happen, especially for less than $50. But I can dream right?

That is badass! I need to convince myself I actually need it. I only have a phone and tablet.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

redeyes posted:

I severely dislike browns ... Clears are definitely my sweet-spot. I just don't feel any resistance at all on browns and perpetually bottom them out.

But it's such a personal thing.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

redeyes posted:

I mean it's obviously a matter of personal preference but for me they really are so much better. My first keyboard had Browns and it was ok, but I couldn't really see why people made such a fuss about them. But as soon as I tried Clears I loved them. That little bit of extra resistance just makes the feel so much better. In particular I think it's the fact that they're only slightly heavier than browns until the actuation point, and then it increases steeply and becomes a lot heavier. That extra resistance after the actuation adds a bit of a cushion to me that helps me not to bottom out. It's like a bit of extra tactile feedback in addition to the little bump.

My CODE with Clears and Vortex PBT caps is like typing nirvana right now. Every morning when I start work I'm a little surprised by how good it feels.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've really grown to like Romer-G switches in my Logitech 810 or whatever it is, what's the closest switch to that feel?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

chippy posted:

My CODE with Clears and Vortex PBT caps is like typing nirvana right now.
:same: That's my setup at home. It's the best.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

redeyes posted:

That is badass! I need to convince myself I actually need it. I only have a phone and tablet.

I have one of these, it's the perfect living room keyboard. Toggle between Apple TV and PS4 easily and it's not half bad to actually type on. Have a phone or tablet in the slot for walkthroughs and you're set.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I tried a coworker's Code with Browns today and it didn't feel good at all, just kind of mushy. Do Clears have a better-defined "bump" than Browns, or are they just stiffer?

Kind of worried now about the Whitefox with "Clear-like" switches I'm gonna get in a few months or whenever....

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

pgroce posted:

I tried a coworker's Code with Browns today and it didn't feel good at all, just kind of mushy. Do Clears have a better-defined "bump" than Browns, or are they just stiffer?

Kind of worried now about the Whitefox with "Clear-like" switches I'm gonna get in a few months or whenever....
Clears have a definite bump.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

I actually went and checked, and I signed on for the Halo Trues (so, Topre-likes) and not the Halo Clears. So, false-ish alarm; I still don't know what Topre switches feel like, but I know they don't feel like Browns.

I found someone with a tester with Clears on it and it feels a bit bumpier than the keyboard Browns, so that's good to know, anyway. OTOH, it's a tester, so :shrug:.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Already in the OP!

Honestly, I don't see why Clears are so popular. Blues and Greens are my favorite. I think my dream board right now might be a Vortex Race 3 with Greens.

Browns are terrible and blues are rude to use in an office. Clears feel like blues but don't make the noise.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I suppose the fact I work from home means I'm biased.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

pgroce posted:

teethgrinder posted:

This. I hated browns because they just felt mushier than I like. Tried Clears when I got my White Fox and holy poo poo they're worlds better, I adore how these feel with my Granite caps and small o-rings.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I also went ahead and hunted for the cheapest 100% boards I could find with decent quality. The KBTalking Next was the winner at 80 USD on mechanicalkeyboards.com. It has been added to the recs.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ColHannibal posted:

Browns are terrible and blues are rude to use in an office. Clears feel like blues but don't make the noise.

everyone in my office uses blues but we also all have headphones in to listen to twitch

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

redeyes posted:

One major gripe I have with it is that theres a bit of plastic creak when you pick it up or flex it. I think its because the front end part (where the tablet slot is) is weighted. But for 26 dollars we cant all be winners :shobon:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Blues are for dickheads and shut-ins. Hope this helps.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

betterinsodapop posted:

ok so i see that Clears feel like blues but arent so loud, but what is a good switch that feels like romer-g's? I love typing on my G810 at home but im not bringing that to work because it's too flashy and i dont want to have to move a full size back and forth every day

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

betterinsodapop posted:

Or people who have a private office :smuggo:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I guess now that I do have a private office, I need to pick up something with GREENS! :getin:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LionArcher posted:

I used to :(

Maybe again very soon.

I think greens are less annoying than blues to be honest. They're not quite as sharp/grating. But I wouldn't use either around other people.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I was annoying myself with blues.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ok so i see that Clears feel like blues but arent so loud, but what is a good switch that feels like romer-g's? I love typing on my G810 at home but im not bringing that to work because it's too flashy and i dont want to have to move a full size back and forth every day

People say they feel like cherry browns, but mushier

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
After trying out quite a few clicky switches, here's my personal preference:

Kailh Bronze > Kailh Gold > Outemu Blue > Gateron Blue > Gateron Green > Cherry Blue

Switch hotswappable keyboards are awesome. Waiting on my buddy's Kailh Pale Blues to see if that'll be the new king.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I use a model m in the office :colbert:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

blugu64 posted:

I use a model m in the office :colbert:

How often do you have to beat back angry coworkers with your keyboard?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's "open concept", but I've got a door so it's not too bad. It's really not that much worse then Blue switches, which a few folks have here too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"Having blue switches is literally terrorism"

-a person who apparently never worked in an office 20 years ago

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

How often do you have to beat back angry coworkers with your keyboard?

Yet another use-case to which the Model M is supremely suited :smuggo:

I bought a Model M for work about 3 years ago and I've actually never had any complaints. My cube neighbors are mostly chill tech workers, and I know a couple of them well enough that they'd tell me if they they thought it was annoying. We do have cubes, not an open floor-plan.

As someone who owns both a Model M and a couple boards with (supposedly genuine) Cherry MX Blues at home, I personally find the Blues to be much more annoying. The Blues are much higher-pitched and (tbh) crappy sounding, and the tactile feedback isn't as good either. To me the Blue just feels like noise for the sake of noise, the point of the Blue over the Browns is the audible feedback and it doesn't do a remotely good job compared to the Model M (where it's an unintended side-effect). In fact, I guess I'm actually mad enough about it that I'm going to try gaming on my other Model M (a garage-sale special, missing a few keycaps).

Otherwise, I have an early-90s Dell QuietKey board (also a garage-sale special), that is probably the next best thing I've used. It's not the variety with the Alps Bigfoots though, it's just a membrane switch, but the tactile feedback is pretty good and it's silent. I've also found some good Packard Bells in the past. They don't hold up all that well under heavy use though.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Clears, that's roughly the same force as a Model M, and without the annoying Blue click.

Any recommendations for boards with clears? I really just want a basic 104-key ANSI board, the less gimmicky gamer poo poo the better. LEDs on the WSAD keys are about the most I'd want if possible (is it possible to do this on DIY boards?). But I have really big hands, so I have a strong preference to as big a board as you can find. These are my current boards, that's about the smallest size I'd prefer, and definitely 100%-sized.

If I can get something super-durable (let's say 3-5 years of heavy use before needing some minor repairs and at least a 10 year total lifespan) that meets my requirements I'd be down for splashing out a couple hundred bucks and doing a DIY build. It would be nice to have something designed around user-serviceability so I can fix switches or whatever if I need, and in this price range a heavy backplate to add weight would be really nice too. I do like the idea of just the WSAD keys being LED lit, if that's possible, but it also not being totally obvious when it's switched off.

Otherwise, just whatever's cheap, I guess. A Das with MX Clears seems like the default contemporary-looking choice but if there was something <$100 that wasn't 100% terrible build quality and it wasn't absolutely 100% ricer I'd accept LEDs/terrible media buttons/etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 28, 2017

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I think Das w/clears can be hard to find, as it was Massdrop exclusive. I've seen it drop twice now, and snagged one last time. It is a great keyboard and reasonably priced.

Otherwise, a lot of us swear by the WASD CODE and replace the keycaps w/Vortex backlit PBT caps.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
The WASD Keyboard is the most commonly recced board around here.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The WASD Keyboard is the most commonly recced board around here.
Yeah, the main difference between that and their CODE is design ... but the painted ABS caps on the CODE are really lovely. Seems really strange for something marketed as premium. They're thin & cheap feeling, lose their texture quickly, and eventually the black just rubs off and leaves lit up smudges.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does the WASD come in a white case? The only ones I can configure seem to be all black

Amnizu
Nov 3, 2003

TELL ME WHY HILLARY INJECTED A MARIJUANA
The *best* keyboard:

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
i just got a vortex race 3 with cherry silvers (speed)

I've had a filco with mx browns for years now and i've enjoyed it but this thing suits me even more.

love the form factor aswell.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

a real chump posted:

i just got a vortex race 3 with cherry silvers (speed)

Any complaints? I've been thinking about buying one with Blues myself. I don't much mind the 1.5u esc/delete but I'm curious if there's anything else of note wrong with it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, the main difference between that and their CODE is design ... but the painted ABS caps on the CODE are really lovely. Seems really strange for something marketed as premium. They're thin & cheap feeling, lose their texture quickly, and eventually the black just rubs off and leaves lit up smudges.

I think something about the backplate or the way the switches are mounted is different between the standard WASD board and the CODE, as well. I don't know what, specifically thought.

Those stock CODE caps are lovely. They were ok at first but they shine so quickly. I don't know why they don't supply them with better caps. I get that PBT is niche and harder to make but they could at least have used some better ABS caps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Do they ever sell it without caps?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Do they ever sell it without caps?

yeah you can get the "bare bones versioni"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah you can get the "bare bones versioni"

Honestly, I recommend most people do this and buy Vortex's nice backlit PBT keycaps to go with the KB.